New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

icouldbuyu wrote:Out of curiosity, how have you already beat out "T14 headcases" for legal employment if your still a 0L.

Because everyone in the Tier 1 schools are socially inept, mouth breathing computer geek headcases. Didn't you know?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am

MP24 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Regarding the full scolly...oh boy...you just made it interesting...
I'd go to NYLS...but keep in mind NYLS's curve and their GPA Cutoff for keeping for scholarship

Yes, the top 15% stipulation is scary. Could you add more about the curve? I had previously heard that they don't have a very strict curve...

If it is a percentage cutoff then it really doesn't matter what the curve is. I thought it was a GPA cutoff.

NYLS had the strictest curve in the city up until about 3 years ago (B-). NYLS was the only school in NYC with a B- curve and everyone else had a B or B+, hence our GPA looked bad. Some professors are still in transition so the curve isn't fully corrected, but you can expect a curve somewhere between a B and B+.

Good luck! What are your stats? (note, the second you say you have high GPA and low LSAT, everyone will jump on you to wait a year and retake the LSAT...which isn't bad advice.)

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 am

romothesavior wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Out of curiosity, how have you already beat out "T14 headcases" for legal employment if your still a 0L.

Because everyone in the Tier 1 schools are socially inept, mouth breathing computer geek headcases. Didn't you know?

In Romo's defense, he is normally objective in his comments. Its the people that are sarcastic in every comment that really get under my skin...but I consider Romo a good virtual friend even though he completely disagrees with my opinions regarding NYLS.

But c'mon Romo, mouth breathing computer geeks? We all know that computer geeks don't go to law school...psh

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:In Romo's defense, he is normally objective in his comments. Its the people that are sarcastic in every comment that really get under my skin...but I consider Romo a good virtual friend even though he completely disagrees with my opinions regarding NYLS.

But c'mon Romo, mouth breathing computer geeks? We all know that computer geeks don't go to law school...psh

I appreciate that coolgrnmen. I do disagree with your assessment of NYLS, but you seem like a very good guy and you've been a good sport with all the criticism. I like you as a poster and I wish you nothing but the best. I'm just concerned because I know that a significant majority of our 3L class is jobless right now, so I can only imagine how things are in the T3/T4 schools, and I don't want people to go in without realizing it. But it sounds like you are doing well, so I hope you keep doing well and are able to transfer, since that's what you sound like you wanna do. In any case, this is your thread and the rest of us have sort of hijacked it, so I'll leave it for you to answer questions.

And there are at least a few computer geeks in law school, right? There are definitely a LOT of law geeks. :lol:

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 am

romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:In Romo's defense, he is normally objective in his comments. Its the people that are sarcastic in every comment that really get under my skin...but I consider Romo a good virtual friend even though he completely disagrees with my opinions regarding NYLS.

I appreciate that coolgrnmen. I do disagree with your assessment of NYLS, but you seem like a very good guy and you've been a good sport with all the criticism. I like you as a poster and I wish you nothing but the best. I'm just concerned because I know that a significant majority of our 3L class is jobless right now, so I can only imagine how things are in the T3/T4 schools, and I don't want people to go in without realizing it. But it sounds like you are doing well, so I hope you keep doing well and are able to transfer, since that's what you sound like you wanna do. In any case, this is your thread and the rest of us have sort of hijacked it, so I'll leave it for you to answer questions.

And there are at least a few computer geeks in law school, right? There are definitely a LOT of law geeks. :lol:

Thanks Romo and I guess its POSSIBLE that some computer geeks are in law school...lol

On a new note, apparently today is my 1 year anniversary with TLS. Man, I regret not signing on to the boards prior to April...lots of great information on here.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:If it is a percentage cutoff then it really doesn't matter what the curve is. I thought it was a GPA cutoff.

NYLS had the strictest curve in the city up until about 3 years ago (B-). NYLS was the only school in NYC with a B- curve and everyone else had a B or B+, hence our GPA looked bad. Some professors are still in transition so the curve isn't fully corrected, but you can expect a curve somewhere between a B and B+.

I've heard many people speak of Cooley Law School as being extremely easy to get into and almost impossible to get out of. Apparently, they make it really difficult so that no one can transfer out. Do you think NYLS does this?

jkl137

Postby jkl137 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the info Coolgrnmen!

When it comes to computers......Mac vs PC, aside from personal preferences, from your observations does either seem to fare better with any software, etc needed to take exams at NYLS?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 pm

MP24 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:If it is a percentage cutoff then it really doesn't matter what the curve is. I thought it was a GPA cutoff.

I've heard many people speak of Cooley Law School as being extremely easy to get into and almost impossible to get out of. Apparently, they make it really difficult so that no one can transfer out. Do you think NYLS does this?

No.
In fact, they have been very supportive of my possible transfer. The administrators and faculty all come from great schools...georgetown, yale, harvard are all included. My favorite professor this semester was a harvard cum laude and yale j.d. suma cum laude. They understand above many people the importance of jobs and they recognize that the job opportunities are better at other schools. They are working hard to try and correct that, but they are very supportive of transfers.
Cooley has a B- curve and the professors are instructed to discourage transfers (from what I've heard). Not the case here.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

jkl137 wrote:Thanks for all the info Coolgrnmen!

When it comes to computers......Mac vs PC, aside from personal preferences, from your observations does either seem to fare better with any software, etc needed to take exams at NYLS?

Let me tell you my story...
Last semester I had an hp laptop. We use Exam 4 software like most schools. The software does a software and hardware check after pressing the "start exam" button and your clock ticks while you wait for it to start. My hp laptop took anywhere from one minute to five minutes to complete the check. This could be avoided by loading exam 4 and running a practice exam, closing the program and opening it back up immediately without doing anything else. My friends with Macs had an average "check" time of 10-15 seconds.
On my last final exam, 15 minutes before the exam was to start, my computer blue screened. I was freaking out because I restarted it and turned it back on. It took all 15 min to reboot and get exam 4 ready to go again. Luckily it didn't crash during the exam.
In all my exams, 3 computers crashed and none were macs. 7 batteries died (people thought it was plugged in or didn't think they would need their charger) and only one was a mac.
Over Christmas break I bought a Mac and have never looked back...

MP24

Postby MP24 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
MP24 wrote:

No.
In fact, they have been very supportive of my possible transfer. The administrators and faculty all come from great schools...georgetown, yale, harvard are all included. My favorite professor this semester was a harvard cum laude and yale j.d. suma cum laude. They understand above many people the importance of jobs and they recognize that the job opportunities are better at other schools. They are working hard to try and correct that, but they are very supportive of transfers.
Cooley has a B- curve and the professors are instructed to discourage transfers (from what I've heard). Not the case here.

Ok, this is good to hear - and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

So what's the status of your efforts to transfer? Thanks; I admire how you've hung in there in this thread.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Robespierre wrote:So what's the status of your efforts to transfer? Thanks; I admire how you've hung in there in this thread.

As good as they can be right now. Georgetown hasn't begun reviewing applications yet, so I won't know at least until April 20th or later.
I'll keep you guys posted if you are interested.

RonnieHoward

Postby RonnieHoward » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:00 pm

My friend at NYLS told me that they have a special placement program in place for students who want to work at WestLaw or Lexis after law school. Is this true? I know you only make something like $40-$60k per year, but my LSAT isn't so hot, and I think it's a better opportunity than other tier 4 schools offer, with the added bonus of being able to work with the law. If you know anything about this, could you answer the question as the chance of being able to lateral into firms from a WestLaw or Lexis position? Thanks! I really appreciate the time you've taken out to answer questions!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 pm

RonnieHoward wrote:My friend at NYLS told me that they have a special placement program in place for students who want to work at WestLaw or Lexis after law school. Is this true? I know you only make something like $40-$60k per year, but my LSAT isn't so hot, and I think it's a better opportunity than other tier 4 schools offer, with the added bonus of being able to work with the law. If you know anything about this, could you answer the question as the chance of being able to lateral into firms from a WestLaw or Lexis position? Thanks! I really appreciate the time you've taken out to answer questions!

I'm unfamiliar with the program you are referring to. I'd recommend asking your friend that is here.
With that said, I've never heard of a lateral from lexis or west law into firms. Not saying it's not possible...just that I've heard nothing about it.
A job at lexis or west law would be solely research oriented...don't expect to litigate on a lateral from either of those.

Sorry I don't know more about it...

Also, NYLS is tier 3, not tier 4...some of the T1/2 boys will say there's no difference, but there is. I'm clinging on to that third tier damnit! If NYLS drops to tier 4, I'll be sad...

downstream

Postby downstream » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 pm

I really think NYLS should change their name. I have always felt that it holds them back a little. Seems like kind of an odd name for a private law school and I think it confuses people. Perhaps they should change it to Cravath Law School or something.

Mlive6

Postby Mlive6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Coolgrnmen, what is the library like during the week? I visited on a Saturday and there was a small crowd - I'm wondering how it is when 1800 students are there for class during the week - are people on top of each other? If you've ever seen the Baruch library or cafeteria during peak hours, its near impossible to grab a seat. Again, thank you for your input.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Mlive6 wrote:Coolgrnmen, what is the library like during the week? I visited on a Saturday and there was a small crowd - I'm wondering how it is when 1800 students are there for class during the week - are people on top of each other? If you've ever seen the Baruch library or cafeteria during peak hours, its near impossible to grab a seat. Again, thank you for your input.

It's manageable during peak hours. Fortunately we have the library, the reading room, and a bunch of other quiet areas to study. Also, you have 4 floors in the library of study rooms and seats and cubbies. I've never not been able to grab a seat. I've had to go to a different floor or area during peak times, but its never too bad that I go home instead.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 pm

i only read the first page as its tldr, but may I ask if you are paying your own tuition or not?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:26 pm

taxnstuff wrote:i only read the first page as its tldr, but may I ask if you are paying your own tuition or not?

Yes, I'm borrowing Obama money to pay my tuition, no scholarship.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Do you have family connections for a job? or have they offered to bail you out in the circumstance you cant pay? Do you have UG loans?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Do you have family connections for a job? or have they offered to bail you out in the circumstance you cant pay? Do you have UG loans?

No to all three...
I have no family connections for jobs but I'm certainly not short on my network which includes a federal judge, multiple partners in various firms, and a bunch of attorneys. Network network network...most important skill.

I know, you don't understand how I could take out $200k in loans with no guaranteed thing?
Because the fed loans have multiple repayment plans including an income-contingent repayment plan. Under this plan, your monthly payment never exceeds 15% of your discretionary income. So your income minus non-discretionary spending (food, rent, clothing, essentials). 15% of what's left of that is the max your monthly payment could be. After 25 years, the balance is forgiven.

I didn't go in blind.

classix

Postby classix » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Can someone who knows more than I do please verify this statement below?

Coolgrnmen wrote:Because the fed loans have multiple repayment plans including an income-contingent repayment plan. Under this plan, your monthly payment never exceeds 15% of your discretionary income. So your income minus non-discretionary spending (food, rent, clothing, essentials). 15% of what's left of that is the max your monthly payment could be. After 25 years, the balance is forgiven.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:30 pm

classix wrote:Can someone who knows more than I do please verify this statement below?

Coolgrnmen wrote:Because the fed loans have multiple repayment plans including an income-contingent repayment plan. Under this plan, your monthly payment never exceeds 15% of your discretionary income. So your income minus non-discretionary spending (food, rent, clothing, essentials). 15% of what's left of that is the max your monthly payment could be. After 25 years, the balance is forgiven.

It's called IBR, and the above is somewhat simplifying things.
For one thing, you get taxed on the amount that's forgiven. So if you're incremental repayment are barely paying down the interest on $200k+ loans, you'd get a tax liability based of the principle of that loan as if it was income.

If you do gov or PI, though, it's forgiven after 10 years (don't need to be consecutive).

Here's a decent thread to get you started:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=152228

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:38 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
classix wrote:Can someone who knows more than I do please verify this statement below?

It's called IBR, and the above is somewhat simplifying things.
For one thing, you get taxed on the amount that's forgiven. So if you're incremental repayment are barely paying down the interest on $200k+ loans, you'd get a tax liability based of the principle of that loan as if it was income.

If you do gov or PI, though, it's forgiven after 10 years (don't need to be consecutive).

Here's a decent thread to get you started:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152228

Yes, that's it.
You can also google "federal loan repayment plans" and fin aid's site should have the explanation of it.
And yes, the forgiven amount is a taxable amount. My girlfriend recently had $6000 forgiven in TX for graduating on time (4 yrs) and the taxable amount was about $500.

There are many repayment plans, look at them and determine that at least one will suit you before taking on the loans.

Thanks for the affirmation JusticeHarlan...

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:34 pm

I am not paying for tuition (state school & scholly) so I never looked into loan forgiveness and such. Who ends up footing the bill for the loan forgiveness in the end? government/taxpayers? or the schools.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”