New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zanda

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:Of course. I was laughing WITH you, AT op.

The original post basically confirms the main criticism of such schools- anyone outside of the very top of the class is screwed.

You are proving your assumption by accepting it as true...

Fair, Mr. LSAT.

While your post cannot be said to confirm the primary criticism, your post implies that it offers a more favorable view while instead offering a view that is fully consistent with the criticism. It notes that the very top of the class has a chance of getting a job, and then mentions a bunch of things that are irrelevant to job prospects (new library, underground library, Judge Judy). It's satire. It has to be.

Come on-
"Georgetown is #2 or #3 in the number of students going into BigLaw."
Really?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am

zanda wrote:
Come on-
Really?

Yes; number, not percentage.
It is bested only by Columbia and one of the other T14...being on my phone, I'm not going to take the time to look it up. But if you are interested in being correct, google it.

Satire? Really? I'm discussing my law school in the "discuss your law school" forum. There is more to law school than job prospects to some people.
The things I mentioned are not necessarily irrelevant.
Why am I arguing with you? The Point is moot. You don't have the perspective I have and have no grounds for dismissing what I say other than pure speculation.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:13 am

OP, u mad? I mean seriously like 8,000 ppl go to GT so your biglaw point doesn't even hold that much water other than alumni connections. Also, you really need to get off this "you had to be there man" perspective as any knowledgeable 0L knows ITE going to a TTT without a full ride is a poor choice no matter how you cut it, especially in NY where you will get dominated by top grads from other schools who want to be there

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 am

Stonewall wrote:OP, u mad? I mean seriously like 8,000 ppl go to GT so your biglaw point doesn't even hold that much water other than alumni connections. Also, you really need to get off this "you had to be there man" perspective as any knowledgeable 0L knows ITE going to a TTT without a full ride is a poor choice no matter how you cut it, especially in NY where you will get dominated by top grads from other schools who want to be there

Not mad...annoyed...

While the # of people at GULC is higher than others, you and I both know it's nowhere near 8000.
Still, that doesn't make me wrong.
Anyways, you guys are both getting way off topic, as am I.

More questions? Actual questions?

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:
Come on-
Really?

Yes; number, not percentage.
It is bested only by Columbia and one of the other T14...being on my phone, I'm not going to take the time to look it up. But if you are interested in being correct, google it.

Satire? Really? I'm discussing my law school in the "discuss your law school" forum. There is more to law school than job prospects to some people.
The things I mentioned are not necessarily irrelevant.
Why am I arguing with you? The Point is moot. You don't have the perspective I have and have no grounds for dismissing what I say other than pure speculation.

That was my point.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 am

On another note, I'd love to be on the opposite side of the court room from both of you. Make my job easy.
Maybe we will run into each other in moot court or mock trial

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 am

zanda wrote:
That was my point.

Maybe you should make your point clearer.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:On another note, I'd love to be on the opposite side of the court room from both of you. Make my job easy.

do you really compete against top schools? Or is there like a jv system for TTT kids? Oh wait, this is another one of those perspective issues -- ehh whatever

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38 am

Stonewall wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:On another note, I'd love to be on the opposite side of the court room from both of you. Make my job easy.

do you really compete against top schools? Or is there like a jv system for TTT kids? Oh wait, this is another one of those perspective issues -- ehh whatever

We compete against top schools. We even win sometimes! Whoa!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

We compete against top schools. We even win sometimes! Whoa!

"sometimes" ..not very precise

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Stonewall wrote:
"sometimes" ..not very precise

Good thing I wasn't going for preciseness. Your comment wasn't deserving of anything but what I gave you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 pm

What is your estimate of the number of 3Ls with jobs right now?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:What is your estimate of the number of 3Ls with jobs right now?

Between 50-75%.
I wanted to say over 75%, but that's probably not right.

Of the 3Ls I've talked with, all but 2 have jobs lined up...those two are near the bottom of their class.
The others are all in top 50% of their class and have jobs ranging from $45k government to $160k biglaw .

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What is your estimate of the number of 3Ls with jobs right now?

Between 50-75%.

Of the 3Ls I've talked with, all but 2 have jobs lined up...those two are near the bottom of their class.
The others are all in top 50% of their class and have jobs ranging from $45k government to $160k biglaw .

Wow, I should have gone to NYLS. Your employment numbers are WAY better than ours.

If this is true, then NYLS should be in the T14.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Between 50-75%.

Wow, I should have gone to NYLS. Your employment numbers are WAY better than ours.

If this is true, then NYLS should be in the T14.

Highly doubt that...

Most of the tier 1 schools should have somewhere between 80-90 by now. Kind of late in the game.
Besides, the median salary is low. I only know 1 person with the $160k.
The other factor is I'm speculating. My 3L friends are limited to about 20. They are also active in organizations and 5 are on law review.
My estimate is probably skewed

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:32 pm

"probably"? How about is.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm

NYLS is the 7th or 8th greatest law school in its city. Its president also happens to serve on the board of one of the biggest student loan providers in the country. Take what you want from all of this information.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

NYLS has to be among the worst of the worst; not talking about education quality. They have the audacity to charge 44k in tuition, and the ABA data says that only 1/3 or so of full-time students have grants/scholarships. With living expenses sticker is 202k! And I wouldn't be surprised if a good number take out maximum cost of living amounts. How the hell is this place able to operate?

I am considering attending a T3 with 3k tuition and cheap cost of living. And I am wondering if it would be a mistake. So this should tell the average current NYLS student or prospective student __________.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:53 pm

MrAnon wrote:NYLS is the 7th or 8th greatest law school in its city. Its president also happens to serve on the board of one of the biggest student loan providers in the country. Take what you want from all of this information.

Lol
And yes, he does, and we all complain about it because we think it's a conflict of interest...
I did mention how the school fairs in the city, didn't I?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:"probably"? How about is.

At least I recognize it

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:NYLS has to be among the worst of the worst; not talking about education quality. They have the audacity to charge 44k in tuition, and the ABA data says that only 1/3 or so of full-time students have grants/scholarships. With living expenses sticker is 202k! And I wouldn't be surprised if a good number take out maximum cost of living amounts. How the hell is this place able to operate?

I am considering attending a T3 with 3k tuition and cheap cost of living. And I am wondering if it would be a mistake. So this should tell the average current NYLS student or prospective student __________.

NYLS's employment prospects are better than most TTT schools.
With that said, tuition is grossly high because of the fact that it's private and located in an expensive part of the city.

CUNY law is also in NYC and only costs $8k/yr? I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole. Employment sucks worse coming out of there. At the very least, NYLS has a solid alumni network.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Obviously some people do very well coming out of NYLS... But OP, can you say with a straight face that it's a good decision (ex-ante) for anyone to attend NYLS without a full, unconditional scholarship?

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

OP: would you have stayed in school if you were at or below median? Would you think it was worth the tuition?
Do you know what is the status of students below median and jobs ?
What about OCI - how many firms interview there?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Unemployed wrote:Obviously some people do very well coming out of NYLS... But OP, can you say with a straight face that it's a good decision (ex-ante) for anyone to attend NYLS without a full, unconditional scholarship?

Yes, I went without a scholarship...
It's one of the few TTT schools that you can actually get a biglaw job at. Mostly to do with the city.
However, I wouldn't recommend NYLS over a T1 school; not until the ranking comes up.
I went to NYLS knowing that I was going into a lot of debt. Over $200k with living expenses. But I know I can afford the loans. Not everyone can.
With all that said, it is NOT a good idea to go to NYLS without full scholarship if you want to go into government or public interest. Even with 10 yr loan forgiveness, it's too damn expensive.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:25 pm

rose711 wrote:OP: would you have stayed in school if you were at or below median? Would you think it was worth the tuition?
Do you know what is the status of students below median and jobs ?
What about OCI - how many firms interview there?

I would have stayed personally just because I want to be a lawyer, if this was my only option than so be it. I'd just work my tail off to make up for it next semester.
One of my friends in the bottom 3rd secured a job with an NYC da for her 1L summer this summer. I can't attest to the rest. bidding just started for spring recruitment, not everyone has had a chance to interview yet. Nevertheless, I recommend not falling below the median.
OCI here is interesting...maybe 10 of the top 25 NYC firms interview here during OCI. Those are the huge firms. There are many other small- large firms that interview during OCI. My understanding is that there were less OCIs this last fall than three years ago...but that *should* go up.
I can see if I can find the official list and I'll post it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”