New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Anyone have questions a 1L can answer?

What % of 2L's have summer associateships this upcoming summer?

Of my limited # of friends that are 2Ls, a high percentage...but most of them are near the top of the class so it is a skewed amount. I don't know otherwise. I'll be able to tell you better next year.

I can tell you that the # of 1Ls with something lined up is maybe 10-20%. maybe 50% have had interviews and about 70% have interviews still coming. 15% isn't looking yet and probably won't and another 15% is opting to take classes instead.

Those are rugged estimates...no official polling...just the feel from talking with a bunch of people in my section...

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Anyone know what this greenberg scholarship thing is? Would it be a full ride?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm

lawfreak wrote:Anyone know what this greenberg scholarship thing is? Would it be a full ride?

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20 ... 100629865#

Former CEO of AIG (oh god, here come the comments) donated $20 mil to NYLS.
I don't know if it is full ride, but it could very well be.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Anyone know what this greenberg scholarship thing is? Would it be a full ride?

Good for him for giving the money to a school that needs it. What is his connection to NYLS?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Good for him for giving the money to a school that needs it. What is his connection to NYLS?

He's an alum.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Just reviewed the list of notable alumni. It is definitely more impressive than I expected.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just reviewed the list of notable alumni. It is definitely more impressive than I expected.

Judge Judy?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 pm

naterj wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Just reviewed the list of notable alumni. It is definitely more impressive than I expected.

Judge Judy?

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Bainbridge Colby
Justice Harlan

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Danteshek wrote:
naterj wrote:

Judge Judy?

Bainbridge Colby
Justice Harlan

+1

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Danteshek wrote:
naterj wrote:

Judge Judy?

Bainbridge Colby
Justice Harlan

Psh, the lesser Justice Harlan.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:+1

Does Harlan take a lot of clerks from NYLS? You should try and get a SCOTUS clerkship instead of transferring.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Does Harlan take a lot of clerks from NYLS? You should try and get a SCOTUS clerkship instead of transferring.

Yeah, I should try to clerk for a dead Justice...

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Your shtick is getting old. Does it hurt that much to give credit where credit is due? And FYI I have no stake in this fight.

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 pm

alright haters, what are some good ny law schools outside tier 1? or wait lemme guess its impossible to get a job if you dont go to one of those top schools right?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:alright haters, what are some good ny law schools outside tier 1? or wait lemme guess its impossible to get a job if you dont go to one of those top schools right?

Gimme a P!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an O!
Gimme a B!
Gimme an A!
Gimme a B!
Gimme an I!
Gimme a L!
Gimme an I!
Gimme an S!
Gimme a T!
Gimme an I!
Gimme a C!

Gimme a P!
Gimme an E!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an S!
Gimme a P!
Gimme an E!
Gimme a C!
Gimme a T!
Gimme an I!
Gimme a V!
Gimme an E!

WHAT'S THAT SPELL??
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:alright haters, what are some good ny law schools outside tier 1? or wait lemme guess its impossible to get a job if you dont go to one of those top schools right?

If you don't go to Columbia you are consigned to a career washing dishes at Arby's.

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

does this site have anyone who looks beyond what the us news rankings dictates? personal experiences with ny law schools? advantages to a new york city school over say a long island school? damn this is frustrating

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:does this site have anyone who looks beyond what the us news rankings dictates? personal experiences with ny law schools? advantages to a new york city school over say a long island school? damn this is frustrating

It was a joke, man. I attend a T2. You need a thick skin to practice law.
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Its called looking at the NLJ 250 placement surveys on biglaw jobs. Its called using the Transparency project on reported law school graduate employment and income data.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:does this site have anyone who looks beyond what the us news rankings dictates? personal experiences with ny law schools? advantages to a new york city school over say a long island school? damn this is frustrating

Yes, it is...it is ridiculous the people that troll these forums...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Danteshek wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Your shtick is getting old. Does it hurt that much to give credit where credit is due? And FYI I have no stake in this fight.

Yeah you're right. Sorry for cracking a joke, I'll try to be completely straight edged and serious from now on.

OP, everyone, things are fine. As long as you work hard and network, it doesn't matter where you go to school. There are plenty of great options in NYC, like Pace and the Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsburg Law Center. Both are only about $220,000 with cost of living expenses, which is a deal when you consider your job prospects from these schools. And 200k in debt is really not that bad, I mean... you gotta take risks to get paid, right bros? And if it doesn't just work out, you can just open up a solo practice or something cuz there are a lot of people in NYC and I'm sure they'll need some lawyers. Just take what you learned in your classes and hit the streets with your legal knowledge. You just gotta network and hustle and thing will work out. That's why those Columbia kids are unemployed, cuz they didn't hustle enough.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 pm

That depends, will you ever admit that you're wrong, and that maybe in the most over-saturated market in north America in a bleeding profession, schools outside the T1 in the northeast are simply not worth it.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Yes, it is...it is ridiculous the people that troll these forums...

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

That depends, will you ever admit that you're wrong, and that maybe in the most over-saturated market in north America in a bleeding profession, schools outside the T1 in the northeast are simply not worth it.

No man, you don't get it. Most of the students at these T4 schools want to go into PI. They won't be competing with people from Fordham and NYU because no one from those schools want PI, they just want the big white shoe firms. And also, they are planning to get really good grades and make law review. Things will be fine, you'll see!

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

yo danteshek im definitely feeling you on needing that thick skin to get past the bullshit on this site haha! and coolgrnmen i also agree with u on a lot of points...

im just talking, realistically, whadaya guys think about say going to a third tier school where u get a lot of money versus say a tier 2 like hofstra or st johns or seton hall. is there really a big difference?

i feel like a lot of intangibles come into play into getting this law jobs. i mean if youre a guy who gets good grades, goes to a top school but is a total douchebag, is it really likely guys like this are gonna edge out over people who still do well at lower schools with more amicable personalities who are just as driven and hardworking but simply dont have the numbers to attend top spot schools?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”