New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nylawyer488

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby nylawyer488 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm

ok so instead of all this nonsense bickering, what are some viable options for a ny law school aside from the tops like fordham, nyu, columbia, brooklyn and cardozo?

what about schools like pace, cuny, nylaw, hofstra, touro, syracuse? i heard pace is in a great area, nice campus, 30 minutes from city and is top 5 for programs like environmental law. a lot of this discuss hinges on these big law jobs but doesnt it occur to people out there that you can still make ALOT of money outside this generally hellish market in these giant firms

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:ok so instead of all this nonsense bickering, what are some viable options for a ny law school aside from the tops like fordham, nyu, columbia, brooklyn and cardozo?

what about schools like pace, cuny, nylaw, hofstra, touro, syracuse? i heard pace is in a great area, nice campus, 30 minutes from city and is top 5 for programs like environmental law. a lot of this discuss hinges on these big law jobs but doesnt it occur to people out there that you can still make ALOT of money outside this generally hellish market in these giant firms

At all of those schools (even at Fordham/BLS/Cardozo) you should be focused on keeping cost as low as possible with minimal scholarship stipulations.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:I don't know anything about those schools except St. Johns which is a decent option (Don't take advice from the people who got 170-180 on their LSAT...they are all elitists at Ivys that think it is impossible to get a job otherwise...)

Yeah, my professor who used to teach at St. John's and deal with throngs of unemployed 3Ls with 200k in debt (pre-ITE too) is a real Ivy elitist with no idea what St. John's is like.

Also, I love how anyone who actually has a grasp on the shitstorm economy is just an "Ivy elitist." I've never stepped foot on an Ivy campus. Hell, I'm not even at a T14.

Just keep telling yourself what you want to hear, coolgrnmen. Don't let reality get in the way of your ad hominems.

Hearsay

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:I don't know anything about those schools except St. Johns which is a decent option (Don't take advice from the people who got 170-180 on their LSAT...they are all elitists at Ivys that think it is impossible to get a job otherwise...)

Yeah, my professor who used to teach at St. John's and deal with throngs of unemployed 3Ls with 200k in debt (pre-ITE too) is a real Ivy elitist with no idea what St. John's is like.

Also, I love how anyone who actually has a grasp on the shitstorm economy is just an "Ivy elitist." I've never stepped foot on an Ivy campus. Hell, I'm not even at a T14.

Just keep telling yourself what you want to hear, coolgrnmen. Don't let reality get in the way of your ad hominems.

Hearsay

Boom! Lawyered.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
nylawyer488 wrote:ok so instead of all this nonsense bickering, what are some viable options for a ny law school aside from the tops like fordham, nyu, columbia, brooklyn and cardozo?

At all of those schools (even at Fordham/BLS/Cardozo) you should be focused on keeping cost as low as possible with minimal scholarship stipulations.

If you have something lined up for sure after law school, then go to CUNY and keep your costs minimal. All the schools teach the same law.
What NYLS does have is a huge enrollment, high tuition, and one of the largest class choices for electives. They can do that because of the large class size...but don't pay sticker if you have a job lined up no matter where you get your JD

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Hearsay

Boom! Lawyered.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:What NYLS does have is a huge enrollment, high tuition, and one of the largest class choices for electives. They can do that because of the large class size...but don't pay sticker if you have a job lined up no matter where you get your JD

You say those things, especially the second one, like they are positives.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:37 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I hate to break it to ya, but going to any of those schools will require you to change your name from "nylawyer" to "unemployednylawgraduatewithlotsofdebt."

dont make assumptions dick face

Yeah!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm

bk1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:What NYLS does have is a huge enrollment, high tuition, and one of the largest class choices for electives. They can do that because of the large class size...but don't pay sticker if you have a job lined up no matter where you get your JD

Agree, my sentence construction was bad because I got lazy and didn't want to change it.
1st and 3rd were positives, 2nd is a negative...
I was just listing things to consider...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Judge Judy makes like 20 million a year. If you shift some numbers around and ignore reporting bias I think that could work out to a 500k average salary from NYLS. Not too shabby at all.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Agree, my sentence construction was bad because I got lazy and didn't want to change it.

They aren't positives in the sense that they don't make up for high tuition and dismal employment.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
bk1 wrote:

They aren't positives in the sense that they don't make up for high tuition and dismal employment.

I was specifically addressing the person with a job lined up at a firm. A positive point doesn't necessarily negate a negative and I didn't intend for it to be that way.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:I was specifically addressing the person with a job lined up at a firm. A positive point doesn't necessarily negate a negative and I didn't intend for it to be that way.

If one has a job lined there is only one positive/negative to consider: cost.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:I was specifically addressing the person with a job lined up at a firm. A positive point doesn't necessarily negate a negative and I didn't intend for it to be that way.

Unless they want to take specific courses...the huge enrollment created the large course selection.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Unless they want to take specific courses...the huge enrollment created the large course selection.

No.

nylawyer488

Postby nylawyer488 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm

so what do any of you people know about pace law school?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm

nylawyer488 wrote:so what do any of you people know about pace law school?

I know that most people on here won't have anything positive to say about it.

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

eh. edit. pretty much already covered.
Last edited by zanda on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

nylawyer488 wrote: a lot of this discuss hinges on these big law jobs but doesnt it occur to people out there that you can still make ALOT of money outside this generally hellish market in these giant firms

It occurred to me before I started researching the market as a 0L. Then I realized I was mistaken. The big money jobs are in big law. Other jobs might be able to pay a livable salary (these jobs won't be easy to get either, especially out of terrible law schools), but that generally requires a) previous wealth b) good LRAP program or c) scholarship allows student to avoid significant debt.
Last edited by zanda on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Let me get this straight. Some genious on this thread is saying that you're better off going to NYLS as opposed to Hofstra which is middle TT school!?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

lawfreak wrote:Let me get this straight. Some genious on this thread is saying that you're better off going to NYLS as opposed to Hofstra which is middle TT school!?

Yep...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
nylawyer488 wrote:so what do any of you people know about pace law school?

I know that most people on here won't have anything positive to say about it.

Pretty much this.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Let me get this straight. Some genious on this thread is saying that you're better off going to NYLS as opposed to Hofstra which is middle TT school!?

Yep...

Explain yourself!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Anyone have questions a 1L can answer?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Anyone have questions a 1L can answer?

What % of 2L's have summer associateships this upcoming summer?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”