New York Law School (NYLS) 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:^lol... both percentages are absolutely pathetic.
Even if so, you have to admit that one is significantly lower than the other...
I totally agree that a 1990 Yugo GV which is being sold for the price of a Ferrari is significantly better than a 1986 Yugo GV being sold for the price of a new Chevy.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
I totally agree that a 1990 Yugo GV which is being sold for the price of a Ferrari is significantly better than a 1986 Yugo GV being sold for the price of a new Chevy.
Seriously, why are you trolling the board to make fun of NYLS? Just curious...

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know from a really good source that pre-ITE, a substantial (perhaps majority) of students at St. John's were not employed at graduation. So you're telling me that NYLS is doing better ITE than St. John's was pre-ITE? And you're telling me that 25% of the class are getting 6-figure starting jobs? That's better than most T20s. I would have been better off at NYLS it sounds like.

I know NYC starting salaries are higher than the rest of the country, but those are still outrageous numbers. Normally I wouldn't care, but I can already see all these people latching onto this thread and thinking that Dozo, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc. are good schools. I don't want a bunch of people drinking the NYLS CSO Kool-Aid.
I agree with this. It's obvious that the school does not fare as well as you would have us believe and I do not think it outperforms t1 schools either.
ok,
where are you going anyway?
t1 on scholly.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Seriously, why are you trolling the board to make fun of NYLS? Just curious...
I wasn't until you started knocking on CUNY, which, yeah, doesn't have the greatest employment statistics, but at least tuition + COL isn't roughly the same price as Yale Law, which you can't say about NYLS.

It's just hilarious how your pitch has been, "at least we're not CUNY," and then complain when people talk lowly of your school.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know from a really good source that pre-ITE, a substantial (perhaps majority) of students at St. John's were not employed at graduation. So you're telling me that NYLS is doing better ITE than St. John's was pre-ITE? And you're telling me that 25% of the class are getting 6-figure starting jobs? That's better than most T20s. I would have been better off at NYLS it sounds like.

I know NYC starting salaries are higher than the rest of the country, but those are still outrageous numbers. Normally I wouldn't care, but I can already see all these people latching onto this thread and thinking that Dozo, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc. are good schools. I don't want a bunch of people drinking the NYLS CSO Kool-Aid.
I agree with this. It's obvious that the school does not fare as well as you would have us believe and I do not think it outperforms t1 schools either.
ok,
where are you going anyway?
t1 on scholly.
congrats

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote: I wasn't until you started knocking on CUNY, which, yeah, doesn't have the greatest employment statistics, but at least tuition + COL isn't roughly the same price as Yale Law, which you can't say about NYLS.

It's just hilarious how your pitch has been, "at least we're not CUNY," and then complain when people talk lowly of your school.
That's certainly not my pitch, you have missed the point of the entire thread. :roll:

Also, you are an admin yeah? I reported a post and it was closed out and nothing happened with it. It said to contact you.
You'd think you would be more of an observer rather than a participator in insulting schools.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: I wasn't until you started knocking on CUNY, which, yeah, doesn't have the greatest employment statistics, but at least tuition + COL isn't roughly the same price as Yale Law, which you can't say about NYLS.

That's certainly not my pitch, you have missed the point of the entire thread. :roll:

Also, you are an admin yeah? I reported a post and it was closed out and nothing happened with it. It said to contact you.
You'd think you would be more of an observer rather than a participator in insulting schools.
Eh, you can argue about what your "pitch" has been, but you've repeatedly used the example of one particular school (which is much cheaper than yours) that you believe is a worse school to make your point that NYLS isn't so bad.

And no, not an admin, just a moderator. I don't know anything about your report (another mod might have taken care of it and deemed the post you complained about not to be infringing of the expected conduct on the board).

It's fine if you want to answer questions about your school, but don't use it as a vehicle to slam other schools, which many would contend are a better choice than the one you're currently attending.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:It's fine if you want to answer questions about your school, but don't use it as a vehicle to slam other schools, which many would contend are a better choice than the one you're currently attending.
TBF, based on what OP has told us, I think NYLS is better than my T20.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:It's fine if you want to answer questions about your school, but don't use it as a vehicle to slam other schools, which many would contend are a better choice than the one you're currently attending.
TBF, based on what OP has told us, I think NYLS is better than my T20.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Everywhere you go on this forum, NYLS is shunned, loked down upon, and disregarded as a school.
I'm currently a 1L at NYLS and I'm happy to tell you what really goes on on our campus.

[insert illogical claims that allegedly dispute NYLS' bad reputation and show that their graduates have amazing opportunities even if paying full price]

If you have any specific questions, I'd love to answer them for you.
this was the original post. it seemed to be an attempt to swindle even more 0Ls into spending 200k to not get a job. if it had instead been just a general "1L taking questions thread" without the misleading nonsense, I (and I'm sure many others) wouldn't have looked twice at this thread.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 pm

zanda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Everywhere you go on this forum, NYLS is shunned, loked down upon, and disregarded as a school.
I'm currently a 1L at NYLS and I'm happy to tell you what really goes on on our campus.

[insert logical claims that dispute NYLS' bad reputation and show that their graduates have amazing opportunities even if paying full price]

If you have any specific questions, I'd love to answer them for you.
this was the original post. it seemed to be an attempt to swindle even more 0Ls into spending 200k to not get a job. if it had instead been just a general "1L taking questions thread" without the misleading nonsense, I (and I'm sure many others) wouldn't have looked twice at this thread.
Do you have a question for me?

classix

New

Post by classix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 am

Coolgrnmen wrote: All in all, even though I like NYLS and I'm confident I would be able to secure decent employment if I stayed there, I'm certain that more opportunities will be open to me at Georgetown.
This seems questionable...

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:32 am

FWIW, I have a friend who works biglaw in NY from NYLS. Granted, he graduated some 7 years ago and was on law review (w/in the top 5% or so of his class). I don't get kicks out of shitting on anybody's school, but objectively NYLS is at the very bottom rung of a hugely bloated legal market in which NYU grads are stressing to find biglaw jobs. It took the previous clerk I worked with (NYU grad 09', top 10%) over a year to find a biglaw job in NYC. Add about 6 or 7 schools bridging that to NYLS and you're left with pretty dismal options.

Seems like this guy has a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder. Dude, be happy you did well first semester, keep it up, and get the hell out if you can. Fordham, GULC, whatever. I wouldn't give up LR at NYLS for St. John's, Hofstra, etc., but those at NYLS not in the top 10% are pretty fucked. Also, the scholarship requirements and shady dean heading a student loan business is pretty detestable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jd1969a

New

Post by jd1969a » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

PitchO20 wrote:FWIW, I have a friend who works biglaw in NY from NYLS. Granted, he graduated some 7 years ago and was on law review (w/in the top 5% or so of his class). I don't get kicks out of shitting on anybody's school, but objectively NYLS is at the very bottom rung of a hugely bloated legal market in which NYU grads are stressing to find biglaw jobs. It took the previous clerk I worked with (NYU grad 09', top 10%) over a year to find a biglaw job in NYC. Add about 6 or 7 schools bridging that to NYLS and you're left with pretty dismal options.

Seems like this guy has a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder. Dude, be happy you did well first semester, keep it up, and get the hell out if you can. Fordham, GULC, whatever. I wouldn't give up LR at NYLS for St. John's, Hofstra, etc., but those at NYLS not in the top 10% are pretty fucked. Also, the scholarship requirements and shady dean heading a student loan business is pretty detestable.
Just curious - can you elaborate on the "shady dean heading a student loan business"?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 am

jd1969a wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:FWIW, I have a friend who works biglaw in NY from NYLS. Granted, he graduated some 7 years ago and was on law review (w/in the top 5% or so of his class). I don't get kicks out of shitting on anybody's school, but objectively NYLS is at the very bottom rung of a hugely bloated legal market in which NYU grads are stressing to find biglaw jobs. It took the previous clerk I worked with (NYU grad 09', top 10%) over a year to find a biglaw job in NYC. Add about 6 or 7 schools bridging that to NYLS and you're left with pretty dismal options.

Just curious - can you elaborate on the "shady dean heading a student loan business"?
I'm no expert, but I believe the Dean sits on the board of directors for the Student Loan oversight committee...but I'm not sure...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
jd1969a wrote:

I'm no expert, but I believe the Dean sits on the board of directors for the Student Loan oversight committee...but I'm not sure...
Are you serious???? You don't know that your Dean is CHAIRMAN of ACCESS GROUP???

--LinkRemoved--

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am

Danteshek wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
jd1969a wrote:

Are you serious???? You don't know that your Dean is CHAIRMAN of ACCESS GROUP???

--LinkRemoved--
Yeah, that...our dean sits on the same board as a Syracuse dean, northwestern professor, and other distinguished professionals.
You realize that boards of directors are not compensated based on the amount of business generated...right? They aren't even allowed to own stock most of the time...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aherro88

New

Post by aherro88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I have been doing some research on NYLS considering right now it looks like my best option for practicing in NYC post-graduation. I like the school and living in NYC aspect, but the amount of loans needed to pay for it all is quite frightening.

I never imagined I'd be in this position since I have a 3.85 in the Honors Program at U. of Georgia in Finance and studied about 8 months for the LSAT including a Kaplan extreme course averaging about 162-167 on the my practice tests. Unfortunately, come test days I just couldn't focus on RC and long LRs well and got a 153 and a cancel.

I've been told to take a year off by several and to retake it next year because my prospects will likely be better, but the bottom line is I am ready and passionate to study law now and I feel like if I take a year or more off I may not wish to return to 3 more years of school.

It's a roller coaster of a ride right now considering I applied to 9 schools and I've gotten 2 acceptances and 7 waiting/hold lists (ranging from Stetson to UGA).

If anyone can provide some helpful advice, I would appreciate it.

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm

aherro, the only helpful advice someone could offer you to is 1) take time off, study, retake the LSAT or 2) drop the idea of law school. That GPA should help you get a non-law job, which would probably be more rewarding in every sense of the word than 3 years of law school at a TTT followed by years of desperately seeking indentured servitude.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 pm

aherro88 wrote:I have been doing some research on NYLS considering right now it looks like my best option for practicing in NYC post-graduation. I like the school and living in NYC aspect, but the amount of loans needed to pay for it all is quite frightening.

I never imagined I'd be in this position since I have a 3.85 in the Honors Program at U. of Georgia in Finance and studied about 8 months for the LSAT including a Kaplan extreme course averaging about 162-167 on the my practice tests. Unfortunately, come test days I just couldn't focus on RC and long LRs well and got a 153 and a cancel.

I've been told to take a year off by several and to retake it next year because my prospects will likely be better, but the bottom line is I am ready and passionate to study law now and I feel like if I take a year or more off I may not wish to return to 3 more years of school.

It's a roller coaster of a ride right now considering I applied to 9 schools and I've gotten 2 acceptances and 7 waiting/hold lists (ranging from Stetson to UGA).

NYLS is good (In my opinion)...BUT with that GPA and those practice scores, you should really retake the LSAT and shoot higher. My friend took a year off and retook the LSAT. He just got admitted to Boalt Law. Solid...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

aherro88 wrote:I have been doing some research on NYLS considering right now it looks like my best option for practicing in NYC post-graduation. I like the school and living in NYC aspect, but the amount of loans needed to pay for it all is quite frightening.

I've just about stopped telling people on here to retake and reapply, but I have to say something here. You DEF either need to take a year off and take wayyy more timed practice tests and retake OR just not go to lschool altogether.

I will prob be at nyu in the fall and I am scared shit paying so much and hoping to get above median. There is no way you should go to nyls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aherro88

New

Post by aherro88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm

thecilent wrote:

I've just about stopped telling people on here to retake and reapply, but I have to say something here. You DEF either need to take a year off and take wayyy more timed practice tests and retake OR just not go to lschool altogether.

I will prob be at nyu in the fall and I am scared shit paying so much and hoping to get above median. There is no way you should go to nyls.
Congrats on NYU, my top 3 a couple months ago was: NYU, Columbia, Vanderbilt... funny how after one day it went to: Miami, Georgia State, NYLS

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Bro that's why you have to retake. I understand your "passionate" right now, but it's not worth it.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

If it comes down to going to a place like NYLS, I would probably recommend CUNY, which you most certainly will get into, and although its a bit worse in terms of job prospects, if law is what you're passionate about, then probably go there because tuition is so damn cheap (like $8,000 a year and that's without scholarship) that it can't hurt you that bad.

Good luck!!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm

If you are half as passionate about actually practicing law as you are about studying the law, then take a year off and re-take. Practicing law requires getting a job, and you are probably going to need a pretty good one to pay off loans from NYLS and three years of living in NYC with no income. If you really, really want to be a lawyer, don't do yourself a disservice.

Also, OP said he wouldn't touch CUNY with a ten-foot pole, and he is a NYLS student, so I would definitely would avoid CUNY. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”