New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zanda

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby zanda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:29 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:CUNY law is also in NYC and only costs $8k/yr? I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole. Employment sucks worse coming out of there. At the very least, NYLS has a solid alumni network.

Bump since you brought up CUNY again. Are you saying that its low cost is a bad thing? For most people, when comparing the awful job prospects of CUNY and NYLS, difference in costs would play a big role, and not in a "this school costs a lot so it must be good" sorta way but in a "almost all of us won't get good paying jobs so we should try to minimize debt" sorta way.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:31 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Lawst wrote:Can I just throw out there that St. John's is another viable choice in the NYC market over NYLS? It's definitely not a fantastic choice for this saturated market. It's ranked 72nd, which puts it behind CLS, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. But at Tier 2, it is a much better alternative to NYLS.
I live in New York and NYLS is the only school in the city that I refused to apply to. I guess a few of their grads get biglaw jobs since it's in Manhattan, but its reputation is not good.
Also? SJU is very generous with schollys. It's one of my safetys and I'm in with 30K.
Anyway, good luck, OP, with your transfer.

Thanks,
so does that mean you applied to CUNY? Please tell me you didn't...

Says the guy who goes to NYLS. I think I'd rather apply to CUNY than NYLS, they have equally bad job prospects but CUNY is like 8 grand a year. NYLS is like 50.

That was pretty much my logic. I also applied to Rutgers and Seton Hall as safetys, as well as SJU and CUNY.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Lawst wrote:Can I just throw out there that St. John's is another viable choice in the NYC market over NYLS? It's definitely not a fantastic choice for this saturated market. It's ranked 72nd, which puts it behind CLS, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. But at Tier 2, it is a much better alternative to NYLS.
I live in New York and NYLS is the only school in the city that I refused to apply to. I guess a few of their grads get biglaw jobs since it's in Manhattan, but its reputation is not good.
Also? SJU is very generous with schollys. It's one of my safetys and I'm in with 30K.

Thanks,

Says the guy who goes to NYLS. I think I'd rather apply to CUNY than NYLS, they have equally bad job prospects but CUNY is like 8 grand a year. NYLS is like 50.

The job prospects out of CUNY are much worse...don't kid yourself

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:35 am

Lawst wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks,

Yep, I did. I'm going into public interest, so it's not a terrible alternative for me either, and it's the only state school in the city, so the tuition is insanely inexpensive. I'm in at CUNY and waiting to hear back from 13 other schools all around the East Coast, so who knows where I'll end up.

Eh, PI makes sense...good call not applying to NYLS...wouldn't be worth it

Good luck, hope u get into your reach

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:36 am

This thread seems terribly concerned with the trivial distinction between T3 and T4.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 am

Lawst wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks,

That was pretty much my logic. I also applied to Rutgers and Seton Hall as safetys, as well as SJU and CUNY.

Your LSAT is solid and you have work experience...c/o '95 right? I doubt you will need ur safeties...good luck

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:40 am

JG Hall wrote:This thread seems terribly concerned with the trivial distinction between T3 and T4.

Good point...back on track...

Questions about NYLS a 1L could answer?

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:44 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Lawst wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks,

Yep, I did. I'm going into public interest, so it's not a terrible alternative for me either, and it's the only state school in the city, so the tuition is insanely inexpensive. I'm in at CUNY and waiting to hear back from 13 other schools all around the East Coast, so who knows where I'll end up.

Eh, PI makes sense...good call not applying to NYLS...wouldn't be worth it

Good luck, hope u get into your reach

Wait, so you concede NYLS isn't worth it for people doing PI, yet you think NYLS is worth it at sticker for other (non-insanely wealthy) people? You've conceded that essentially nobody out of NYLS is getting big law. If you then consider the bimodal distribution, people are either using LRAP (if NYLS has one- do they?) or IBR. For a kid 200k in debt (before interest) the pay difference between someone doing PI and someone on the short end of the private practice stick isn't so significant.

FWIW, in my summer experiences I've worked with people from other T14, from BLS, and a bunch from CUNY. Obviously that's just anecdotal, but I've never heard of anyone I know working with NYLS students. In fact, of the few NYLS students I know, half casually told me they weren't even trying to look for 1L summer work because no firms hire 1Ls and they didn't want to spend a summer doing public interest, as if spending 1L summer doing nothing was totally fine. I didn't know if I should try to help those people but figured it was probably too late.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 am

CUNY vs. NYLS?!?!????

--ImageRemoved--

meet

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:23 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
zanda wrote:FWIW my favorite part of the thread was where he put down CUNY.

now that's funny. Also, lulz to the guy who wanted to start an e-fight what are you the OP's IRL lover or something

just someone amazed at how pathetic your life must be to have to troll nyls threads all day to make yourself feel good...and use words like "lulz"

:lol:
I'm entertained by how he went straight to calling you my "lover" as opposed to shutting up...maturity on this forum is hard to come by?

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:08 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 am

Haha. No, this is not true. Prospects from both schools are equally horrible.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 am

MrAnon wrote:

Negative; this is what I'm talking about...people on this forum make NYLS sound so much worse than it is...CUNY jobs pay less than NYLS and there are less of them

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 am

Where is Reasonable Man in all of this?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Where is Reasonable Man in all of this?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 am

Why did this even get to 6 pages? Very few non 2 or 3L's are qualified to talk about employment. This guy doesn't seem to be one of those few...

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Why did this even get to 6 pages? Very few non 2 or 3L's are qualified to talk about employment. This guy doesn't seem to be one of those few...

I agree with you (not on the page count, but the subject matter)

Any more questions a 1L can answer?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Negative; this is what I'm talking about...people on this forum make NYLS sound so much worse than it is...CUNY jobs pay less than NYLS and there are fewer less of them

ftyu

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Negative; this is what I'm talking about...people on this forum make NYLS sound so much worse than it is...CUNY jobs pay less than NYLS and there are fewer less of them

ftyu

ftyu?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 am

On what are you basing this information about CUNY vs NYLS jobs? Both schools are bottom of the barrel. Do you really in your heart believe there is a major distinction between where grads of these two schools end up? NYLS is not some corporate law powerhouse.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

MrAnon wrote:On what are you basing this information about CUNY vs NYLS jobs? Both schools are bottom of the barrel. Do you really in your heart believe there is a major distinction between where grads of these two schools end up? NYLS is not some corporate law powerhouse.

I'm following the rule that was set up by the others in this thread...the lower the percentage reporting, the less jobs/ lower salary. NYLS reported 20% where CUNY reported 6%...to make an exception here would be to falsify everything else people said about the jobs available to NYLS grads vs T1 grads...

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 am

^lol... both percentages are absolutely pathetic.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:^lol... both percentages are absolutely pathetic.

Even if so, you have to admit that one is significantly lower than the other...

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:37 am

I know a guy who went to CUNY, he's cool.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”