New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:24 pm

zanda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
rose711 wrote:op: would you have gone to this school if you had to be concerned about paying back the loans? I think you said that the financial aspect wasn't an issue for you?

I don't think I said it wasn't an issue, or at least that's not what I meant. I'm just good with financial planning and felt comfortable taking the loans on.
But to answer your question, no...I wouldn't have gone to any law school if I was concerned about paying back the loans. I recommend figuring all of that out before applying to law school.

What solution did you figure out in the event you were 200k in debt with no job?

There was no scenario where I wouldn't have a job...that's just not me...worst comes to worse, start my own practice

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
rose711 wrote:op: would you have gone to this school if you had to be concerned about paying back the loans? I think you said that the financial aspect wasn't an issue for you?

I don't think I said it wasn't an issue, or at least that's not what I meant. I'm just good with financial planning and felt comfortable taking the loans on.
But to answer your question, no...I wouldn't have gone to any law school if I was concerned about paying back the loans. I recommend figuring all of that out before applying to law school.

What solution did you figure out in the event you were 200k in debt with no job?

There was no scenario where I wouldn't have a job...that's just not me...worst comes to worse, start my own practice

What research did you do into how easy it is to start one's own practice and whether it would enable you to pay off 200k in loans? Everything I've read about starting one's own practice right out of law school and being profitable is that it's essentially impossible, so I'm quite curious.

I do thank you for answering all of these questions. You've taken all this like a champ.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 pm

zanda wrote:
What research did you do into how easy it is to start one's own practice and whether it would enable you to pay off 200k in loans? Everything I've read about starting one's own practice right out of law school and being profitable is that it's essentially impossible, so I'm quite curious.

I do thank you for answering all of these questions. You've taken all this like a champ.

I'm a business major and great at networking. Profitability for any new business doesn't come for a few years. Starting a practice isn't easy, but if you know what you are doing there is money to be made.

Not a problem. I figured I would be attacked, but a few have had serious questions. Worth puttingup the thread.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm

The problem with starting your own firm is that 1) most businesses fail and 2) those that succeed typically fill a niche in the market. Where is that niche for new lawyers? Being a solo and trying to fight for business in the most oversaturated field in the country creates a tough uphill battle. Add in the fact that a recent grad has almost no practical knowledge of the actual law, and it seems like success is a near impossibility.

Not saying I won't try it if all else fails, and there are some who do succeed at it. I just don't think it is a viable plan for people to have going into school.

Good luck to you though OP.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm

What would you say is a better choice? Cardozo or Brooklyn at sticker, or NYLS with some kind of scholarship?

Also, how much should a median student at NYLS expect to make 1rst year as a lawyer? I know you sort of addressed this but wasn't quite clear.

Thanks

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 pm

lawfreak wrote:What would you say is a better choice? Cardozo or Brooklyn at sticker, or NYLS with some kind of scholarship?

Also, how much should a median student at NYLS expect to make 1rst year as a lawyer? I know you sort of addressed this but wasn't quite clear.

Thanks

Depends what you want to go into. Brooklyn has a decent amount of BigLaw jobs, especially relative to NYLS. Salary could potentially outweigh the sticker price of Brooklyn or Cardoza over the scholarship at NYLS.

Median student at NYLS could expect a $65k a year job starting salary. The salary jumps from 80 into the 100s somewhere in the top 25%

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
lawfreak wrote:What would you say is a better choice? Cardozo or Brooklyn at sticker, or NYLS with some kind of scholarship?

Thanks

Depends what you want to go into. Brooklyn has a decent amount of BigLaw jobs, especially relative to NYLS. Salary could potentially outweigh the sticker price of Brooklyn or Cardoza over the scholarship at NYLS.

Median student at NYLS could expect a $65k a year job starting salary. The salary jumps from 80 into the 100s somewhere in the top 25%

It sounds to me from things you have been saying (like in your original post you only listed Brooklyn, not cardozo) that you favor Brooklyn over Cardozo. However, I would say just the opposite given the fact that Cardozo is ranked #52 and has a better location in NYC whereas, Brooklyn is only ranked at 67?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

lawfreak wrote:

It sounds to me from things you have been saying (like in your original post you only listed Brooklyn, not cardozo) that you favor Brooklyn over Cardozo. However, I would say just the opposite given the fact that Cardozo is ranked #52 and has a better location in NYC whereas, Brooklyn is only ranked at 67?

Any favorance I have over the other is due to insufficient knowledge. I don't know enough about Cardoza, but I know quite a bit about Brooklyn. Did u know Brooklyn just approved a huge new building for the law school? Suppose to be completed in 2014 I think...

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Median student at NYLS could expect a $65k a year job starting salary. The salary jumps from 80 into the 100s somewhere in the top 25%

How do you know this? Again, with reported salary only coming in for a small fraction of the class, how can you assert what a median student will make?

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 pm

I think the problem with this thread is people are actually giving a 23 year old kid from Texas attending New York Law School the benefit of the doubt. Do yourself a favor buddy, transfer out of the shithole and never look back. You have zero experience with finances, especially those of the 200,000 dollar variety, you won't be able to pay those loans off coming out of that school. Don't let that dump take another dollar off you. That school is the laughing stock of the New York City legal market standing shoulder to shoulder with Touro.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Median student at NYLS could expect a $65k a year job starting salary. The salary jumps from 80 into the 100s somewhere in the top 25%

Again, I don't mean to be a jerk, but this is better than a lot of T1/T2 students will be making at the median and 25%ile. Many T1/T2 students at median may not even secure legal employment, let alone make 65k/year. There are 3Ls at T14s who would sacrifice their first born child to start out at 60k+. Either NYLS is the diamond of the rough of NYC (or even the legal world) and deserves to be ranked as a T1, or you are incredibly off-base. I'm voting the latter.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

romothesavior wrote:

Again, I don't mean to be a jerk, but this is better than a lot of T1/T2 students will be making at the median and 25%ile. Many T1/T2 students at median may not even secure legal employment, let alone make 65k/year. There are 3Ls at T14s who would sacrifice their first born child to start out at 60k+. Either NYLS is the diamond of the rough of NYC (or even the legal world) and deserves to be ranked as a T1, or you are incredibly off-base. I'm voting the latter.

NYLS has an advantage over most T2/T3 schools in that it is located in NYC. Since almost all of the employment is in the city, the salaries are higher. $65k is a low private-sector salary.
I personally think that NYLS should be T2...not T1 though. I volunteered for the telethon to call alum for donations and we got a brief overview of some of the things the US news told our school that was holding them back from T2. One of the biggest factors was the # of alumni that donated. Our #s are low. Although the total amount of $ donated is higher than most schools, the # of alum donating is low.

Don't believe me...ask a 3L at NYLS. Probably more accurate.

Again, more questions that a 1L can answer?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 am

I know from a really good source that pre-ITE, a substantial (perhaps majority) of students at St. John's were not employed at graduation. So you're telling me that NYLS is doing better ITE than St. John's was pre-ITE? And you're telling me that 25% of the class are getting 6-figure starting jobs? That's better than most T20s. I would have been better off at NYLS it sounds like.

I know NYC starting salaries are higher than the rest of the country, but those are still outrageous numbers. Normally I wouldn't care, but I can already see all these people latching onto this thread and thinking that Dozo, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc. are good schools. I don't want a bunch of people drinking the NYLS CSO Kool-Aid.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

romothesavior wrote:I know from a really good source that pre-ITE, a substantial (perhaps majority) of students at St. John's were not employed at graduation. So you're telling me that NYLS is doing better ITE than St. John's was pre-ITE? And you're telling me that 25% of the class are getting 6-figure starting jobs? That's better than most T20s. I would have been better off at NYLS it sounds like.

I know NYC starting salaries are higher than the rest of the country, but those are still outrageous numbers. Normally I wouldn't care, but I can already see all these people latching onto this thread and thinking that Dozo, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc. are good schools. I don't want a bunch of people drinking the NYLS CSO Kool-Aid.

I agree with this. It's obvious that the school does not fare as well as you would have us believe and I do not think it outperforms t1 schools either.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Wow I really did misunderstand you. I assumed that you had financial resources backing you up with this debt. I didn't think you just borrowed assuming you would have a job or would start your own practice. That plan wouldn't suffice for most--almost all- students.

As you volunteered to help with the telephoning the alumni for donations, I guess you are really attached to your school. No offense meant, but your post, to me, sounds like a way too positive spin on the situation of getting a job from that school.

I don't think that just because it is in NYC you can assume that you will be earning more than other places, and if you are , NYC is so expensive it will be harder to live on that money.

Still, good luck to you!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 am

romothesavior wrote:I know from a really good source that pre-ITE, a substantial (perhaps majority) of students at St. John's were not employed at graduation. So you're telling me that NYLS is doing better ITE than St. John's was pre-ITE? And you're telling me that 25% of the class are getting 6-figure starting jobs? That's better than most T20s. I would have been better off at NYLS it sounds like.

No no no no...the 6 figure salary starts somewhere in the top 25%...(includes top 10%, even top 5%) I simply don't know where it starts within the top 25 but I know if you are below the top 25 there is no chance of getting a 6 figure... clearer?
:roll:
They are good schools...they aren't the best...they aren't elite...but they are good schools. You don't have to go to HYS to have a good education.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 am

Stonewall wrote:

I agree with this. It's obvious that the school does not fare as well as you would have us believe and I do not think it outperforms t1 schools either.

ok,
where are you going anyway?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 am

rose711 wrote:
Wow I really did misunderstand you. I assumed that you had financial resources backing you up with this debt. I didn't think you just borrowed assuming you would have a job or would start your own practice. That plan wouldn't suffice for most--almost all- students.

As you volunteered to help with the telephoning the alumni for donations, I guess you are really attached to your school. No offense meant, but your post, to me, sounds like a way too positive spin on the situation of getting a job from that school.

I don't think that just because it is in NYC you can assume that you will be earning more than other places, and if you are , NYC is so expensive it will be harder to live on that money.

Still, good luck to you!

The telethon was for $15/hr, non-work study pay. It was a nice little paycheck mid-semester. Not tied to the school in the sense you are expressing. I'm applying for transfer, remember?

I know a thing or two about managing money. I have that advantage, I guess, and so I was comfortable taking the loan with the job prospects.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am

Coolgrnmen wrote: You don't have to go to HYS to have a good education.

Well I would hope not since I don't go to HYS, and I think I'm getting a good education.

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 am

People don't seek better law schools for better educations. They seek them for better job prospects. You have yet to say anything (in terms of evidence) inconsistent with the prevailing TLS view of job prospects out of NYLS.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 am

romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote: You don't have to go to HYS to have a good education.

Well I would hope not since I don't go to HYS, and I think I'm getting a good education.

Hey, I think that too...except about me getting a good education...

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:56 am

Can I just throw out there that St. John's is another viable choice in the NYC market over NYLS? It's definitely not a fantastic choice for this saturated market. It's ranked 72nd, which puts it behind CLS, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. But at Tier 2, it is a much better alternative to NYLS.
I live in New York and NYLS is the only school in the city that I refused to apply to. I guess a few of their grads get biglaw jobs since it's in Manhattan, but its reputation is not good.
Also? SJU is very generous with schollys. It's one of my safetys and I'm in with 30K.
Anyway, good luck, OP, with your transfer.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 am

Lawst wrote:Can I just throw out there that St. John's is another viable choice in the NYC market over NYLS? It's definitely not a fantastic choice for this saturated market. It's ranked 72nd, which puts it behind CLS, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. But at Tier 2, it is a much better alternative to NYLS.
I live in New York and NYLS is the only school in the city that I refused to apply to. I guess a few of their grads get biglaw jobs since it's in Manhattan, but its reputation is not good.
Also? SJU is very generous with schollys. It's one of my safetys and I'm in with 30K.

Thanks,
so does that mean you applied to CUNY? Please tell me you didn't...

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:25 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Lawst wrote:Can I just throw out there that St. John's is another viable choice in the NYC market over NYLS? It's definitely not a fantastic choice for this saturated market. It's ranked 72nd, which puts it behind CLS, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn. But at Tier 2, it is a much better alternative to NYLS.

Thanks,

Says the guy who goes to NYLS. I think I'd rather apply to CUNY than NYLS, they have equally bad job prospects but CUNY is like 8 grand a year. NYLS is like 50.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks,

Yep, I did. I'm going into public interest, so it's not a terrible alternative for me either, and it's the only state school in the city, so the tuition is insanely inexpensive. I'm in at CUNY and waiting to hear back from 13 other schools all around the East Coast, so who knows where I'll end up.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”