New York Law School (NYLS) 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Bronze

New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 am

Everywhere you go on this forum, NYLS is shunned, loked down upon, and disregarded as a school.
I'm currently a 1L at NYLS and I'm happy to tell you what really goes on on our campus.

First, I'm in the top 10% there and I have a Federal Judge internship already lined up for the summer. Additionally, I am applying for transfer.

If I am not accepted to where I'm applying for transfer, I won't be sad. NYLS has been great to me and I really enjoy the school. The faculty are knowledgeable and (some) friendly. Many of the faculty are distinguished and they testify at Congress ranging from the financial situation of this country (Prof. Houman Shadab) to debates about the death penalty (Prof. Robert Blecker).
There are many other faculty that I haven't experienced, these professors are only from my section. (5 sections, 4 full time and 1 part time).

The school was established a long time ago, but its facilities are new. They finished construction of the new building and this is where our classes are held. The three old buildings have been converted into two newly renovated buildings that connect the entire school. The school occupies nearly an entire block in TriBeCa.

The library is new, and it is underground. It doesn't get much quieter than that for studying. No honking and the walls are insulated so you don't hear the trains going by.

Of course, no matter how much I like the school, I must be objective and give you a fair look at the negatives too.

The school is Tier 3 and is competing in the same job market as NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and even Brooklyn Law. All ranked higher than NYLS and all with not necessarily "more" options at OCI, but definitely more "better" options.

The school is actively trying to raise its rank. They have a few staff dedicated to this task. At least NYLS knows where they are ranked and are trying to fix it.

When you talk to fellow students, they are generally happy with where they are at and enjoy it. There are a few negative nancys in our classes and most of their negativity comes from what they've read here.

The atmosphere is not ultra-competitive but our 1L class was the most competitive any faculty had seen in a while. Additionally, our 1L class had the highest average GPA and highest average LSAT score in the school's history. Factor? Possibly...
For a research assignment, a single student actually ripped pages out of a book. First time, according to the Law Librarian, that had ever happened there.

The alumni network is huge! I mean HUGE! But our elites include the likes of Judy Scheindlin (Which I got to meet and get a photo with) - Judge Judy for those of you not knowing. No presidents, no supreme court justices (well, one from the early 1900's I think...).

Getting a biglaw job out of NYLS is difficult, but doable. Most of biglaw goes to Fordham and up.

Finding employment (for me) wasn't difficult and I'm already talking with some big law firms in NYC. Be on top of things and you will have an advantage.

NYLS's curve has been fixed from where it was in the early 2000's...it was the only B- curve in NYC making it more difficult for NYLS alum to compete because their GPA was marred. Now, we are at an equivalent curve with the rest of NYC.

We have gunners and suckers just like any law school and just like any law school they get made fun of. We also have some very smart people. However, like me, they want to transfer out because of the stigma of the school. Guess what, this only adds to the stigma. NYLS's students are literally holding NYLS back by leaving the school.

In sum, if you want to work in NYC, NYLS is not a bad decision. If you can go to T14, or any other NYC school (except HOFSTRA/ CUNY), then you should probably choose the other.

Don't be disappointed if NYLS is where you go...great school and I'm looking forward to seeing them progress in the future.

If you have any specific questions, I'd love to answer them for you.
Last edited by Coolgrnmen on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Post by Danteshek » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 am

I'm glad you are happy. If you love it so much, why are you applying to transfer? Also, where are you applying to transfer?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 pm

I want to go into BigLaw. As stated in my analysis of the school, NYLS does not provide the best BigLaw hiring opportunities.
I applied for transfer to Georgetown. I will be getting a decision in the next few weeks based on my first year grades.
Georgetown is #2 or #3 in the number of students going into BigLaw.

There are many reasons why I wanted to transfer to Georgetown. The location, clinics, professors, and job opportunities. It's also nice to have the University atmosphere. NYLS is only a law school and therefore doesn't have many of the benefits of a full University.

All in all, even though I like NYLS and I'm confident I would be able to secure decent employment if I stayed there, I'm certain that more opportunities will be open to me at Georgetown.

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Do you travel around the city on weekends/days you don't have any studying/homework to do? What is your favorite borough?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 pm

VictrixRapax wrote:Do you travel around the city on weekends/days you don't have any studying/homework to do? What is your favorite borough?
I moved here with my girlfriend and so we explore the city when we get a chance. We live in the financial district (best place to live IMHO) and Manhattan is definitely my favorite borough.

Fact is, I spend a lot of time studying. After school and about 4 weeks into the semester I start studying on the weekends. School organizations have a bunch of happy hours on the weekends so those are fun. Chinatown is a short walk away and we went to go get Dim Sum during lunch. Really good.

I have yet to be to Queens or Staten Island. Brooklyn is up and coming, but the transportation isn't as good as in Manhattan. It's much more spread out.

Did I answer your question?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
VictrixRapax wrote:Do you travel around the city on weekends/days you don't have any studying/homework to do? What is your favorite borough?
I moved here with my girlfriend and so we explore the city when we get a chance. We live in the financial district (best place to live IMHO) and Manhattan is definitely my favorite borough.

Fact is, I spend a lot of time studying. After school and about 4 weeks into the semester I start studying on the weekends. School organizations have a bunch of happy hours on the weekends so those are fun. Chinatown is a short walk away and we went to go get Dim Sum during lunch. Really good.

I have yet to be to Queens or Staten Island. Brooklyn is up and coming, but the transportation isn't as good as in Manhattan. It's much more spread out.

Yes. I am very tempted to turn down Harvard in favor of Columbia or NYU- simply for the experience of living in New York City, which I consider the greatest in the world. I'm just afraid I'd spend more time in The Bronx and Little Italy than actually doing my work. Lol.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 am

VictrixRapax wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Yes. I am very tempted to turn down Harvard in favor of Columbia or NYU- simply for the experience of living in New York City, which I consider the greatest in the world. I'm just afraid I'd spend more time in The Bronx and Little Italy than actually doing my work. Lol.

Haha...you become immune after a while...it just becomes where you live and you begin to understand why New Yorkers get pissed at tourists. Living next to WTC, whenever I walk to school there are always tourists stopping in the middle of the freakin walkway to take a pic of the construction. I have places to be people!!!

Anyways, in my opinion, columbia would be great for you...BUT there are people from Columbia that transfer into HYS. If you are in at Harvard...I think you are nuts to turn it down...lol

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 am

Coolgrnmen wrote: Haha...you become immune after a while...it just becomes where you live and you begin to understand why New Yorkers get pissed at tourists. Living next to WTC, whenever I walk to school there are always tourists stopping in the middle of the freakin walkway to take a pic of the construction. I have places to be people!!!
I'll cry when I stand in front of the new one. (I've never been to NYC; took 9-11 pretty hard)
Anyways, in my opinion, columbia would be great for you...BUT there are people from Columbia that transfer into HYS. If you are in at Harvard...I think you are nuts to turn it down...lol
Cambridge isn't that appealing. I'm torn. Harvard is just a name, though. Not much difference between Columbia and Harvard. Both Ivy.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:27 am

VictrixRapax wrote:
I'll cry when I stand in front of the new one. (I've never been to NYC; took 9-11 pretty hard)

Cambridge isn't that appealing. I'm torn. Harvard is just a name, though. Not much difference between Columbia and Harvard. Both Ivy.
The new buildings are cool. WTC 1 is halfway done and towers over the surrounding buildings..haha. WTC 4 is finally underway - almost 10 stories already.

I could be wrong, but Harvard is more internationally renowned. Also, in Harvard, you will have a lot less competition to come to NYC as opposed to Columbia where EVERYONE is trying to work in the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
The new buildings are cool. WTC 1 is halfway done and towers over the surrounding buildings..haha. WTC 4 is finally underway - almost 10 stories already.
Good deal. Is Silverstein close to securing the funds necessary for 2, 3, and 5? Over which does the city have control? I know they split, but I don't remember the specifics. Not to mention 7 is already built.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 am

VictrixRapax wrote:
Good deal. Is Silverstein close to securing the funds necessary for 2, 3, and 5? Over which does the city have control? I know they split, but I don't remember the specifics. Not to mention 7 is already built.
Honestly, I don't know. Seven was done quickly and looks really cool at night. The lobby is like one big TV.

VictrixRapax

New

Post by VictrixRapax » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:47 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
VictrixRapax wrote:
Honestly, I don't know. Seven was done quickly and looks really cool at night. The lobby is like one big TV.
From Wikipedia:
Since the Port Authority's proposal on May 11, 2009, the building has been the only other one on the site to have its construction continue as planned with no interruption, along with One World Trade Center. The original proposal called for the reduction of 2 World Trade Center and 3 World Trade Center to low-rise retail "stump" buildings only about four stories high,[9] as well as the complete cancellation of building 5. With this, the amount of buildings on the site would have been reduced down to five. However, the initial proposal has now been dropped, in favor of a new plan as of March 25, 2010: The Port Authority will take control of the sites for One World Trade Center and 5 World Trade Center, while Silverstein Properties will be in charge of 2 World Trade Center, 3 World Trade Center, and 4 World Trade Center. The plan calls for the construction of 4 World Trade Center to move forward as planned. Tower 2 will only be built to street level before being delayed indefinitely until economic recovery.[10] Construction of the retail and transportation portions of Tower 3 will proceed immediately, while construction of the actual office tower is contingent on Silverstein obtaining $300 million in private financing and securing leases on one-fifth of the tower.[11]

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 am

90% of the ppl in your class are in a worse position than you, so the hate on nyls may very well be justified champ

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 am

Are you one of them? Because if not, I think your making your stat up based on what people say on the forum

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:Are you one of them? Because if not, I think your making your stat up based on what people say on the forum
he's in the top 10%

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:31 am

Stonewall wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Are you one of them? Because if not, I think your making your stat up based on what people say on the forum
he's in the top 10%
lol he IS the OP

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 am

zanda wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
he's in the top 10%
lol he IS the OP
LMAO...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
he's in the top 10%
lol he IS the OP
LMAO...
ha yes my mistake. Either way my point still stands

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:44 am

Stonewall wrote: ha yes my mistake. Either way my point still stands
Just because I'm in the top 10% doesn't mean I don't talk with the people that are in the "bottom 90%."
Given, being not my opinion, they could be lying; but, the vibe is positive from my friends including 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls. All in different standings in their class. We all agree that the negativity on this forum is overblown by people that don't actually go here.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Stonewall wrote: ha yes my mistake. Either way my point still stands
Just because I'm in the top 10% doesn't mean I don't talk with the people that are in the "bottom 90%."
Given, being not my opinion, they could be lying; but, the vibe is positive from my friends including 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls. All in different standings in their class. We all agree that the negativity on this forum is overblown by people that don't actually go here.
you're discussing a TTT at TOP law schools what did you expect

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 am

Stonewall wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
zanda wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
he's in the top 10%
lol he IS the OP
LMAO...
ha yes my mistake. Either way my point still stands
Of course. I was laughing WITH you, AT op.

The original post basically confirms the main criticism of such schools- anyone outside of the very top of the class is screwed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 am

What exactly are the NYLS grads who go into the "academic" field while only making $40k-45k doing?

I'm also curious about just how many people go to NYLS while paying full ticket.

What do you think the reason is behind the fact that the school only reports salary data for 20% of graduates? That's an insanely low return rate. A lot of schools are pretty damn close to 95-100%. Why the hell are 80% of NYLS grads not returning salary data? How is that not extremely, extremely fishy? The school claims to get some sort of employment information from 94% of graduates. What the hell is the reason for the incredible disparity? Are we to believe that nearly 3/4 of the graduating class is actually taking the time to return employment information but NOT reporting their salary?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:21 am

Stonewall wrote:
you're discussing a TTT at TOP law schools what did you expect
I expect good law students to keep an objective open mind. Especially when they don't have first hand knowledge.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 am

Helmholtz wrote:What exactly are the NYLS grads who go into the "academic" field while only making $40k-45k doing?

I'm also curious about just how many people go to NYLS while paying full ticket.

What do you think the reason is behind the fact that the school only reports salary data for 20% of graduates? That's an insanely low return rate. A lot of schools are pretty damn close to 95-100%. Why the hell are 80% of NYLS grads not returning salary data? How is that not extremely, extremely fishy?
Those going into academic and making that little...no idea...maybe adjunct?

Quite a few of my friends have half-full scholarships, but about half will lose it because of the GPA requirement at NYLS.
I'm paying full ticket - 3.0 GPA, 158 LSAT. applied very late.
If I had to guess, half are on scholarship but only half of those will keep it.

As for the 20% reporting...in the past it had always been with 80-90% reporting. The admin claims that part of the reason only 20% reported is that they suffered a loss of forms when they moved offices before they recorded the info. (the old buildings are undergoing renovations and so people are in temp offices). Obviously, with them "lost" I don't know how many actually reported. I could only speculate.

More questions?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:39 am

zanda wrote: Of course. I was laughing WITH you, AT op.

The original post basically confirms the main criticism of such schools- anyone outside of the very top of the class is screwed.
You are proving your assumption by accepting it as true...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”