New York Law School (NYLS) 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:All right, so if this year's response rate was not an anomaly, in your opinion, what do you think the reason is that the wide majority of NYLS graduates who report their employment information don't give their salary data? (we're assuming that the cso isn't behaving like a bunch of crooks and intentionally hiding data that is reported to them, which might actually be the most likely possibility; another possibility might be that NYLS is telling graduates that if their salary is not the best to just not report it - still acting like crooks, but maybe less so)
Don't know...
Probably not pleased with their salary.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:All right, so if this year's response rate was not an anomaly, in your opinion, what do you think the reason is that the wide majority of NYLS graduates who report their employment information don't give their salary data? (we're assuming that the cso isn't behaving like a bunch of crooks and intentionally hiding data that is reported to them, which might actually be the most likely possibility; another possibility might be that NYLS is telling graduates that if their salary is not the best to just not report it - still acting like crooks, but maybe less so)
Don't know...
So should we maybe draw some kind of inference about NYLS from the fact that roughly 3/4 of the class took the time to report employment data, but not their salary data out of pure embarrassment?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote: I believe the "losing the forms" story for this past year. During this semester one of the offices lost all of the residential documents and had all the students in the dorms fill out the info again. So I know it is possible.

The CSO is who helped me secure my Article III internship. BUT, admittedly, those are low reporting percentages.
Why would you believe their story? It doesn't look like it's exactly rare for NYLS to only report salary data from ~20% of its graduates. Did they lose it twice in a year? Exactly how bumbling is your school's administration?
I'd believe it because two years of stats doesn't mean that this is what always happens.

Those stats come from classes that graduated and went into the worst job market. This year should be much better, so I would have to see the stats for this year.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Ok, so now given the data shows two terrible response rates in a row, would your objective opinion be that people should attend NYLS at sticker?
Depends on the person. I still would have if NYLS were the best school I could have gotten into. Better than any T4 and most T3.
1) So you think it's worth taking out $200,000 in loans for a 1/5 change to have a salary you feel comfortable reporting?

2) If NYLS is the best school someone can get into, why isn't the right response 'retake the LSAT' instead of 'take out $200,000 in loans for a 20% chance of getting a salary you feel comfortable reporting?'

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 pm

FWIW my favorite part of the thread was where he put down CUNY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote: I believe the "losing the forms" story for this past year. During this semester one of the offices lost all of the residential documents and had all the students in the dorms fill out the info again. So I know it is possible.

The CSO is who helped me secure my Article III internship. BUT, admittedly, those are low reporting percentages.
Why would you believe their story? It doesn't look like it's exactly rare for NYLS to only report salary data from ~20% of its graduates. Did they lose it twice in a year? Exactly how bumbling is your school's administration?
I'd believe it because two years of stats doesn't mean that this is what always happens.

Those stats come from classes that graduated and went into the worst job market. This year should be much better, so I would have to see the stats for this year.
I just found some info for the class of 2007. Of those who were employed in private practice, only 28% reported their salaries.

So what are we at now? 3 years in a row?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Don't know...
So should we maybe draw some kind of inference about NYLS from the fact that roughly 3/4 of the class took the time to report employment data, but not their salary data out of pure embarrassment?
Should you? No. Could you? Sure. Would you? Apparently.

Brooklyn Law only had 40% reporting - --LinkRemoved--
Hofstra only reports 20% - --LinkRemoved--
CUNY only had 6% reporting...but that's Tier 4...
NYU has 73% reporting...--LinkRemoved--

It's not uncommon for students to not report salary info. Obviously the pattern is more apparent at the lower ranked schools.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Ok, so now given the data shows two terrible response rates in a row, would your objective opinion be that people should attend NYLS at sticker?
Depends on the person. I still would have if NYLS were the best school I could have gotten into. Better than any T4 and most T3.
1) So you think it's worth taking out $200,000 in loans for a 1/5 change to have a salary you feel comfortable reporting?

2) If NYLS is the best school someone can get into, why isn't the right response 'retake the LSAT' instead of 'take out $200,000 in loans for a 20% chance of getting a salary you feel comfortable reporting?'
Maybe its not the LSAT that's the problem or maybe they are bad standardized test takers..."retaking the LSAT" is not always the answer.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm

zanda wrote:FWIW my favorite part of the thread was where he put down CUNY.
Yeah, it's all I got...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I just found some info for the class of 2007. Of those who were employed in private practice, only 28% reported their salaries.

So what are we at now? 3 years in a row?
You mind linking it?

Either way, see my other post about percentage reporting salary

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Yeah, it's all I got...
CUNY at full price is a much less awful financial decision than NYLS at full price, which doesn't even go into the realistic premise that a student getting into NYLS might be getting some aid at CUNY.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote: You mind linking it?

http://www.schoolaah.com/law/New_York_Law_School.htm

Yeah, I saw your post. It seemed that the crappier the school, the lower the reporting goes. You guys are somewhere between Hofstra and CUNY. Congrats?

I should also point out that the salary data for NYU is about 81% if you take into account all their students who do Article III clerkships. And also to be fair, if we take into account all the NYLS students who are unemployed, we know about 24% of the graduating class's data (since we might assume that 7.4% of the class is making $0 nine months after graduation.

Either way, NYLS's reporting rate is not an anomaly this year. So why the hell did your CSO blame it on some bullshit excuse like losing the documents?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote: You mind linking it?

http://www.schoolaah.com/law/New_York_Law_School.htm

Yeah, I saw your post. It seemed that the crappier the school, the lower the reporting goes. You guys are somewhere between Hofstra and CUNY. Congrats?

I should also point out that the salary data for NYU is about 81% if you take into account all their students who do Article III clerkships. And also to be fair, if we take into account all the NYLS students who are unemployed, we know about 24% of the graduating class's data (since we might assume that 7.4% of the class is making $0 nine months after graduation.

Either way, NYLS's reporting rate is not an anomaly this year. So why the hell did your CSO blame it on some bullshit excuse like losing the documents?
Ask them?

Any questions on the school that a 1L can answer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:43 pm

If 50-75% are employed, what kinda of jobs are these grads getting? Small firms? DA's office? TGI Fridays? I am genuinely curious. I go to undergrad in the Bronx and there are actually a bunch of kids from my school who go to this school. I always try to deter them from what I've read on here, but I am curious, if you had better numbers a year ago, would you of actually went to NYLS or would you of taken St. John's or Hofstra?

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm

now that's funny. Also, lulz to the guy who wanted to start an e-fight what are you the OP's IRL lover or something

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Let's not personally attack OP. I agree that his estimates are almost certainly wild exaggerations (I'd be utterly shocked if more than 1/3 of 3Ls at this school have paid summer work lined up at graduation), but he has been pretty nice in putting up with our questions.

I definitely agree with Helm though. Their reporting numbers are incredibly sketchy. And common sense says that most NYLS students are getting pwned in the legal market, and not just ITE either. I know a prof who used to teach at a T2 in NYC who would probably laugh if he heard someone say 50-75% of 3Ls had jobs lined up pre-ITE. He'd probably fall out of his chair hearing that ITE.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:58 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:If 50-75% are employed, what kinda of jobs are these grads getting? Small firms? DA's office? TGI Fridays? I am genuinely curious. I go to undergrad in the Bronx and there are actually a bunch of kids from my school who go to this school. I always try to deter them from what I've read on here, but I am curious, if you had better numbers a year ago, would you of actually went to NYLS or would you of taken St. John's or Hofstra?
Most of them are small private firms. A few are big law...but a large amount are public interest because of the 10-yr forgiveness incentive

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:If 50-75% are employed, what kinda of jobs are these grads getting? Small firms? DA's office? TGI Fridays? I am genuinely curious. I go to undergrad in the Bronx and there are actually a bunch of kids from my school who go to this school. I always try to deter them from what I've read on here, but I am curious, if you had better numbers a year ago, would you of actually went to NYLS or would you of taken St. John's or Hofstra?
Most of them are small private firms. A few are big law...but a large amount are public interest because of the 10-yr forgiveness incentive
Also, if I had better #s I would have probably tried for Brooklyn law or st johns...but not hofstra

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Also, if I had better #s I would have probably tried for Brooklyn law or st johns...but not hofstra
why not hofstra

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:Let's not personally attack OP. I agree that his estimates are almost certainly wild exaggerations (I'd be utterly shocked if more than 1/3 of 3Ls at this school have paid summer work lined up at graduation), but he has been pretty nice in putting up with our questions.

I definitely agree with Helm though. Their reporting numbers are incredibly sketchy. And common sense says that most NYLS students are getting pwned in the legal market, and not just ITE either. I know a prof who used to teach at a T2 in NYC who would probably laugh if he heard someone say 50-75% of 3Ls had jobs lined up pre-ITE. He'd probably fall out of his chair hearing that ITE.
Thank you?
I agree, the reporting numbers are sketchy...

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
why not hofstra
Personal reasons. Don't care for the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:12 pm

op: would you have gone to this school if you had to be concerned about paying back the loans? I think you said that the financial aspect wasn't an issue for you?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

rose711 wrote:op: would you have gone to this school if you had to be concerned about paying back the loans? I think you said that the financial aspect wasn't an issue for you?
I don't think I said it wasn't an issue, or at least that's not what I meant. I'm just good with financial planning and felt comfortable taking the loans on.
But to answer your question, no...I wouldn't have gone to any law school if I was concerned about paying back the loans. I recommend figuring all of that out before applying to law school.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
rose711 wrote:op: would you have gone to this school if you had to be concerned about paying back the loans? I think you said that the financial aspect wasn't an issue for you?
I don't think I said it wasn't an issue, or at least that's not what I meant. I'm just good with financial planning and felt comfortable taking the loans on.
But to answer your question, no...I wouldn't have gone to any law school if I was concerned about paying back the loans. I recommend figuring all of that out before applying to law school.
What solution did you figure out in the event you were 200k in debt with no job?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Ask them?
Meh, I don't really have enough of a vested interest in pursuing it. Now somebody who actually goes to school there? But then again, these are the questions that people should have been asking before they started attending...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”