New York Law School (NYLS) 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 pm

I'd like to hear from some other NYLS students (especially 2Ls and 3Ls) and see if they share your perception of employment from the school. The scene you are describing sounds rosier than just about any T1 school I've heard about. Sounds even rosier than some T14s. And I here I was thinking NYLS was one of the worst schools in the country. NYLS for T14 status!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Pretty sure the OP is just some person who works for the school. He/she tries to come off as more believable by saying he wants to transfer out of the school he loves or whatever. Common sense dictates that employment and life prospects out of NYLS are generally low across the board.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'd like to hear from some other NYLS students (especially 2Ls and 3Ls) and see if they share your perception of employment from the school. The scene you are describing sounds rosier than just about any T1 school I've heard about. Sounds even rosier than some T14s. And I here I was thinking NYLS was one of the worst schools in the country. NYLS for T14 status!

Haha...
I would love for some 2Ls and 3Ls to comment. I wouldn't expect it since most NYLS students don't like being told how bad their school is by people that don't go there. That's the typical experience on TLS

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm

MrAnon wrote:Pretty sure the OP is just some person who works for the school. He/she tries to come off as more believable by saying he wants to transfer out of the school he loves or whatever. Common sense dictates that employment and life prospects out of NYLS are generally low across the board.
:roll:
That's a big fat negative dickweed...would an NYLS employee call you a dickweed? Probably but not in public.
I am a male, 23, graduated from UTSA in may 2010. If you look at my profile, I think it shows my stats that I uploaded last cycle.
Anyways, you can keep your conspiracy theory if you want...maybe you are right and the government actually planted me on this forum in an attempt to get more to NYLS because the gov wants to make more money off of loans.
Yeah!

Any more actual questions that I can answer as a 1L, I'd love to answer for you.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Last edited by cruelestgame on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 pm

cruelestgame wrote: stonewall is a condescending little prick and i would love nothing more than to come across him in a courtroom and outside a bar...
:lol:
Truth

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 pm

I am a male, 23, graduated from UTSA in may 2010
Why the heck did you go to a T4 school in NYC? Do you have any connections to NYC? If no, you would have been much better off staying in Texas. But perhaps such a decision befits a brand new college grad.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Danteshek wrote:
I am a male, 23, graduated from UTSA in may 2010
Why the heck did you go to a T4 school in NYC? Do you have any connections to NYC? If no, you would have been much better off staying in Texas. But perhaps such a decision befits a brand new college grad.
First, NYLS is Tier 3.
I enjoyed Texas, but I was tired of it. Wanted to practice corporate law and what better place than NYC?
Appreciate your opinion, but it's obviously not mine.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:57 pm

If you were talking to a middle class person considering law school with corporate law as the primary goal, would you recommend NYLS at full price?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 pm

because the gov wants to make more money off of loans.
I didn't say anything about the government, but Matasar sure does benefit each time another loan is packaged and sold to a T4 student.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:What exactly are the NYLS grads who go into the "academic" field while only making $40k-45k doing?

I'm also curious about just how many people go to NYLS while paying full ticket.

What do you think the reason is behind the fact that the school only reports salary data for 20% of graduates? That's an insanely low return rate. A lot of schools are pretty damn close to 95-100%. Why the hell are 80% of NYLS grads not returning salary data? How is that not extremely, extremely fishy?
Those going into academic and making that little...no idea...maybe adjunct?

Quite a few of my friends have half-full scholarships, but about half will lose it because of the GPA requirement at NYLS.
I'm paying full ticket - 3.0 GPA, 158 LSAT. applied very late.
If I had to guess, half are on scholarship but only half of those will keep it.

As for the 20% reporting...in the past it had always been with 80-90% reporting. The admin claims that part of the reason only 20% reported is that they suffered a loss of forms when they moved offices before they recorded the info. (the old buildings are undergoing renovations and so people are in temp offices). Obviously, with them "lost" I don't know how many actually reported. I could only speculate.

More questions?
No, I don't buy that.

Class of 2009 (LinkRemoved): 20% reporting salary information
Class of 2008 (LinkRemoved): 17% reporting salary information

Did they "lose" the forms two years in a row? And did these forms only contain salary information, but not the rest of the employment information? Do you have a link for what years they had 80-90% reporting?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:16 pm

zanda wrote:If you were talking to a middle class person considering law school with corporate law as the primary goal, would you recommend NYLS at full price?
I'm middle class.
I'm on full loans.
Would I recommend it? Definitely not over other schools...but I wouldn't condemn it.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:
because the gov wants to make more money off of loans.
I didn't say anything about the government, but Matasar sure does benefit each time another loan is packaged and sold to a T4 student.
That he does...again, the students at NYLS complain about the conflict of interest.
Again, Tier 3....not Tier 4

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:21 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:What exactly are the NYLS grads who go into the "academic" field while only making $40k-45k doing?

I'm also curious about just how many people go to NYLS while paying full ticket.

What do you think the reason is behind the fact that the school only reports salary data for 20% of graduates? That's an insanely low return rate. A lot of schools are pretty damn close to 95-100%. Why the hell are 80% of NYLS grads not returning salary data? How is that not extremely, extremely fishy?
Those going into academic and making that little...no idea...maybe adjunct?

Quite a few of my friends have half-full scholarships, but about half will lose it because of the GPA requirement at NYLS.
I'm paying full ticket - 3.0 GPA, 158 LSAT. applied very late.
If I had to guess, half are on scholarship but only half of those will keep it.

As for the 20% reporting...in the past it had always been with 80-90% reporting. The admin claims that part of the reason only 20% reported is that they suffered a loss of forms when they moved offices before they recorded the info. (the old buildings are undergoing renovations and so people are in temp offices). Obviously, with them "lost" I don't know how many actually reported. I could only speculate.

More questions?
No, I don't buy that.

Class of 2009 (LinkRemoved): 20% reporting salary information
Class of 2008 (LinkRemoved): 17% reporting salary information

Did they "lose" the forms two years in a row? And did these forms only contain salary information, but not the rest of the employment information? Do you have a link for what years they had 80-90% reporting?
hmmm...that's interesting. I don't know, I only know what I was told by the office. Guess we will see what the stats are this next round...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 pm

This is my advice. You can take it or leave it. Many people on TLS will disagree with me on this point. If you don't get into a T1 like Georgetown or even Fordham, I think you should transfer to a school like Cardozo/Brooklyn. I made a similar transfer from Southwestern (T3) to Loyola (T2). I have been very successful at Loyola (made Law Review, and I'm strong candidate to be the next Chief Articles Editor). I was very conflicted last year about whether I should transfer if I didn't get into UCLA/USC. I asked many, many high placed lawyers in Los Angeles (most of whom had gone to HLS), and every single one of them said that I should transfer to Loyola. The name on your resume will be with you forever, and those strong grades at NYLS may or may not help you get the job you want.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote: hmmm...that's interesting. I don't know, I only know what I was told by the office. Guess we will see what the stats are this next round...
lol, NYLS CSO office

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote: hmmm...that's interesting. I don't know, I only know what I was told by the office. Guess we will see what the stats are this next round...
lol, NYLS CSO office
Yep, not denying it.

I want to make something very clear. I'm not posting this up to lie about NYLS and make it seem better than it is. It is to give an objective opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
lol, NYLS CSO office
Yep, not denying it.

I want to make something very clear. I'm not posting this up to lie about NYLS and make it seem better than it is. It is to give an objective opinion.
Ok, so now given the data shows two terrible response rates in a row, would your objective opinion be that people should attend NYLS at sticker?

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

I just looked up the Dean and the Access Group Board - LMAO!

--LinkRemoved--

The dude has a clear conflict of interest, why the hell would you go there?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
lol, NYLS CSO office
Yep, not denying it.

How do you feel about the career services just blatantly lying about "losing" files (which, you have to admit, is something that should itself be seen as a negative - I would be a little worried if my school's administration just lost large numbers of documents)?

I have to say if you're trying to give an objective viewpoint of your school that you believe is better than perceived, the CSO is doing a hell of a job in making the school look as bad as possible.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:46 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
lol, NYLS CSO office
Yep, not denying it.

Ok, so now given the data shows two terrible response rates in a row, would your objective opinion be that people should attend NYLS at sticker?
Depends on the person. I still would have if NYLS were the best school I could have gotten into. Better than any T4 and most T3.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:I just looked up the Dean and the Access Group Board - LMAO!

--LinkRemoved--

The dude has a clear conflict of interest, why the hell would you go there?
Because he would rather not sink his reputation as Dean than as Board member.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:52 pm

All right, so if this year's response rate was not an anomaly, in your opinion, what do you think the reason is that the wide majority of NYLS graduates who report their employment information don't give their salary data? (we're assuming that the cso isn't behaving like a bunch of crooks and intentionally hiding data that is reported to them, which might actually be the most likely possibility; another possibility might be that NYLS is telling graduates that if their salary is not the best to just not report it - still acting like crooks, but maybe less so)

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
lol, NYLS CSO office
Yep, not denying it.

How do you feel about the career services just blatantly lying about "losing" files (which, you have to admit, is something that should itself be seen as a negative - I would be a little worried if my school's administration just lost large numbers of documents)?

I have to say if you're trying to give an objective viewpoint of your school that you believe is better than perceived, the CSO is doing a hell of a job in making the school look as bad as possible.

I believe the "losing the forms" story for this past year. During this semester one of the offices lost all of the residential documents and had all the students in the dorms fill out the info again. So I know it is possible.

The CSO is who helped me secure my Article III internship. BUT, admittedly, those are low reporting percentages.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote: I believe the "losing the forms" story for this past year. During this semester one of the offices lost all of the residential documents and had all the students in the dorms fill out the info again. So I know it is possible.

The CSO is who helped me secure my Article III internship. BUT, admittedly, those are low reporting percentages.
Why would you believe their story? It doesn't look like it's exactly rare for NYLS to only report salary data from ~20% of its graduates. Did they lose it twice in a year? Exactly how bumbling is your school's administration?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”