The Minnesota Legal Market - UMN, WM, UST, HM, Iowa/Wisc

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PomasThynchon

Re: The Minnesota Legal Market - UMN, WM, UST, HM, Iowa/Wisc

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Is getting students from coastal schools with no connections to Minnesota difficult because of the way firms hire, or would you say it's mostly self-selection?

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 pm

To be honest, a little of both, but I meant self selection by the students.

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

Taking questions this week again.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks so much for taking q's again. I found your earlier info extremely helpful. I hope you will suffer a general question: are students with humanities UG degrees (and not economics) at a decided disadvantage when it comes to hiring? It is my suspicion that this is the case. So, a follow up question. What can one do to improve his/her marketability while in law school, assuming one has one of these humanities degrees?

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Students with humanities degrees are not at a great disadvantage. By and large, we don't typically focus on someone's undergraduate degree. It can be helpful in some areas (Corporate - Business), and necessary in others (IP - hard science). However, an undergraduate major isn't something we focus on. The university name is something we focus on, but as long as it is a school we have heard of, it is usually fine.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 am

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Students with humanities degrees are not at a great disadvantage. By and large, we don't typically focus on someone's undergraduate degree. It can be helpful in some areas (Corporate - Business), and necessary in others (IP - hard science). However, an undergraduate major isn't something we focus on. The university name is something we focus on, but as long as it is a school we have heard of, it is usually fine.

Thank you very much!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am

When hiring, how much impact do connections to the area matter? If a prospective associate attends a local school, but has no other connections to the area, is it a problem? Also, in your opinion, how do older (i.e. 32) applicants, applicants with established family lives (married, children, etc...) fare against others?

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 am

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Taking questions this week again.

Thank you for answering questions.

I'm an international applicant, with an MS in engineering from a Midwestern university. I have a couple of years of IP experience, in a role similar to a patent agent.

I don't have ties to any particular geographical region. However, my wife has accepted a very good job in the Twin-Cities area, and that's one of the reasons why I plan to go to the U of Minnesota Law School (they have offered a substantial scholarship too). Will my employability in the Twin Cities market be affected for any of the following reasons: 1) I'm not a US citizen/resident, 2) I don't have a US undergrad degree, or 3) I don't have ties to the area

freskie

Postby freskie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm

If I have significant ties to the Twin Cities (I've lived here all my life...), and want to work in Minneapolis upon graduation, would attending a T-10 school be more beneficial than attending the U? or vice versa? Let's say I'm going for Big Law in Minneapolis.

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Would attending a T-10 school be more beneficial than attending the U? or vice versa? Let's say I'm going for Big Law in Minneapolis.

You should likely attend the top ten school. Most large law firms in Minneapolis will go very deep into the law school class at a top school. We do not go nearly as deep at Minnesota, as we have significant leverage over the top students at UMN.

When hiring, how much impact do connections to the area matter? If a prospective associate attends a local school, but has no other connections to the area, is it a problem? Also, in your opinion, how do older (i.e. 32) applicants, applicants with established family lives (married, children, etc...) fare against others?

If you attend one of the Minnesota law schools, no one is going to question your desire to live in Minnesota. However, this is a very provincial part of the country and there is a general desire to promote from within the community. That being said, qualifications always trump regionalism.

Will the following negtively affect recruiting out of law school:
1) I'm not a US citizen/resident;

This could be a problem. Many employers will skip the hassel by hiring an American citizen over a foreign resident. You will likely have better chances with employers on the coast. I should say that your prospects will be better if you have language skills that are in demand (read Chinese; Japanese; Spanish; Korean; German).

2) I don't have a US undergrad degree; and/or
The same problem I mentioned previously. The problem is that no employer will know where exactly you went to university, and this becomes difficult to judge. You may have to jump through hurdles that other people do not.

3) I don't have ties to the area.
This is can be, but is rarely, a problem. Credentials are what will matter in the end.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Sorry for the late bump, but I noticed BC on here. What about BU?

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 am

[quote="MinnesotaBigLaw11"]Would attending a T-10 school be more beneficial than attending the U? or vice versa? Let's say I'm going for Big Law in Minneapolis.

You should likely attend the top ten school. Most large law firms in Minneapolis will go very deep into the law school class at a top school. We do not go nearly as deep at Minnesota, as we have significant leverage over the top students at UMN.

Thanks for the info! Do you think this hold true for schools such as Vanderbilt and UCLA? I'm really trying to get a sense of what schools would position me best for the Minneapolis market, while balancing this with debt.

FuturMinn

Postby FuturMinn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 am

MinnesotaBigLaw11:

Do you have any insight into jobs at hedge funds coming out of UST (i.e. legal counsel) or if any firms in MN have a corp bankruptcy practice. I haven't been able to find anything on this? Any info you can provide will be helpful.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 am

FuturMinn wrote:MinnesotaBigLaw11:

Do you have any insight into jobs at hedge funds coming out of UST (i.e. legal counsel) or if any firms in MN have a corp bankruptcy practice. I haven't been able to find anything on this? Any info you can provide will be helpful.

If you want to do chapt 11 you should go to Chicago area. There are some firms that do chapt 11 in minneapolis, but they aren't big corporation clients. They are usually your mom and pops / less than 50 employee ventures.

FuturMinn

Postby FuturMinn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks Typ3. Any ideas on how UST places in Chicago? Or, how I can obtain employment stats? (hard numbers of graduates employer in Chicago top 250 law firms) Will schools disclose this information?

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Sorry for the late bump, but I noticed BC on here. What about BU?

BU is a good school as well. BC and Harvard are the two Boston schools to which we send attorneys for OCI. We would interview BU students though, as it is a good school.

Thanks for the info! Do you think this hold true for schools such as Vanderbilt and UCLA? I'm really trying to get a sense of what schools would position me best for the Minneapolis market, while balancing this with debt.

I think you would be better served attending Minnesota over Vanderb or UCLA. They are both good schools, but they likely won't help you get your foot in the door anymore than UMN.

There are a good number of hedge funds in the cities, as well as mutual funds and investment advisers. Faegre is sort of the go-to firm for investment management in the twin cities. Dorsey and Frederikson also have good practices.

For bankruptcy, Dorsey Faegre and Robins handle the large instiutional bankruptcies. These are your tier one bankruptcy firms that represent the large Minnesota companies.

In sum, if you are looking to do high-end investment management or bankruptcy work, you'll want to do well at UST and try to get a position at one of these firms.

FuturMinn

Postby FuturMinn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks, MinnesotaBigLaw11! I am going to Minneapolis for the first time in a few weeks, so hopefully that will help with my decision re: UST. Thanks--this thread has definitely been very helpful.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:50 am

I have a question, how is the University of Wisconsin Madison viewed in hiring? I am in state at WI so tuition is super cheap but I also have a full ride UST & good deal at WM. I really want to end up back in the twin cities but I still have a feeling Madison is a better choice.

What is your take on this?

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Wisconsin places well in the cities. There is a lot of supply of law students generally, and Madison is no exception. Especially for the larger firms in Minneapolis, who often pick at least one or two of the UW law review students. As with any (and all) law schools, you'll have to do well, but Wisconsin is a good school from which firms hire. I don't know of a firm (at least one with over 50 attorneys) that doesn't send recruiters to Wisconsin.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Wisconsin places well in the cities. There is a lot of supply of law students generally, and Madison is no exception. Especially for the larger firms in Minneapolis, who often pick at least one or two of the UW law review students. As with any (and all) law schools, you'll have to do well, but Wisconsin is a good school from which firms hire. I don't know of a firm (at least one with over 50 attorneys) that doesn't send recruiters to Wisconsin.

Which places better in MSP, all things being equal, Wisconsin or Iowa?

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Wisconsin and Iowa place pretty equally. I don't think there is too big of a distinction between them and I think most people consider them interchangeable.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 pm

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Wisconsin and Iowa place pretty equally. I don't think there is too big of a distinction between them and I think most people consider them interchangeable.

thank you!

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Prairie wrote:
MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Wisconsin and Iowa place pretty equally. I don't think there is too big of a distinction between them and I think most people consider them interchangeable.

thank you!

Unless you mean in football, because that is a different story.

MinnesotaBigLaw11

Postby MinnesotaBigLaw11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Taking questions again this week.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:24 pm

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:Taking questions again this week.

I've been told UST, though a newer law school, has a very strong alumni base that helps in hiring. Have you heard this, or is this just crap?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”