USC 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arelikefoxes

Re: USC 1L Taking Questions

Postby Arelikefoxes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Zabini wrote:Thanks a lot for this. I actually wound up getting 90k so USC is very strongly on my radar now. Tagging this thread fasho.

Awesome! Congrats again.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 pm

This has been so helpful. I think I have it narrowed down to USC and one other school unless UT is feeling generous with scholarship money.

Some of these questions might be pretty tricky to answer as a 1L, but I'd appreciate any of your insights.

1. If I'm coming in for a visit that isn't an ASD - do you think people would be receptive to me tagging along at a bar review?

2. How tight-knit would you say the student body is? Outside of bar review, how do people interact?

3. Do you feel that graduating with ~150k in debt from USC is a reasonable decision if a potential student is looking at graduating with no debt from a T30 school? I'd definitely like experience in a mid-sized firm but I'm scared of being married to biglaw for the entire decade after graduation.

4. I'm still a little foggy on the implications of USC's grading system. Do students outside of that top ten percent know where they stand, and do you have any information regarding how students falling below their class medians do in terms of employment? This might be pretty tough to answer - no harm in saying you don't know. :)

5. How receptive are professors to forming mentor-style relationships with students? When you feel like you need advice on your career in general, do you speak with CSO/older students/? How has that worked out?

6. Other than entertainment law and legal writing, do you feel like there's anything that USC does that sets it apart from other schools?

7. This is kind of related to 4. On other law school tours some of the students told me that they felt grading was pretty subjective (a concern with no relation to bell curves); sometimes they felt it was more to do with how the professor liked their writing. Have you felt that your grades are an accurate reflection of the work you put into them, or do you think there's some variance there that you have no control over (aside from the curve)? My guess is that at some schools with great employment prospects, maybe students under the median are there because they're coming from situations where debt is not as much of an issue and they feel comfortable with their opportunities, but I fear that at many schools those students are working just as hard as everyone else and want biglaw but just won't be able to reach it. I have no idea where USC falls into those categories.

8. Is there anything you'd change about the school thus far?

9. Anything you wish someone had told you when you were agonizing over your law school decision? :-)

Again, these are a lot of questions, some easy to answer, some not. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Here are some quick thoughts:

innernetp wrote:1. If I'm coming in for a visit that isn't an ASD - do you think people would be receptive to me tagging along at a bar review?

I don't think that would be a problem. Though bear in mind that the longer you wait to visit, the more busy the students will be w/finals (I am not sure we have Bar Review the last few weeks,)

innernetp wrote:2. How tight-knit would you say the student body is? Outside of bar review, how do people interact?

Despite the competitiveness of law school generally, we are actually a very tight-knit group, particularly within the super-sections. To the extent that we have time to socialize (eat, work out, party, study etc.), we tend to do it together. There is no shortage of opportunities to do so outside of the "formal" events

innernetp wrote:3. Do you feel that graduating with ~150k in debt from USC is a reasonable decision if a potential student is looking at graduating with no debt from a T30 school? I'd definitely like experience in a mid-sized firm but I'm scared of being married to biglaw for the entire decade after graduation.

This is the big (~$150K) question. The answer really depends on your career goals, current debt, tolerance for carrying debt, desire/need to work in a specific market, etc. I think that

innernetp wrote:4. I'm still a little foggy on the implications of USC's grading system. Do students outside of that top ten percent know where they stand, and do you have any information regarding how students falling below their class medians do in terms of employment? This might be pretty tough to answer - no harm in saying you don't know. :)

Well, we are told if we are "top 10%", but we also know the median is set to 3.3. I don't know how sub-median students tend to in terms of hard numbers (other than being very unlikely to get biglaw.) At that point, the relative success seems to depend more on your other credentials (relevant w/e, good personality, etc.) I don't know of anyone that has been unemployed upon graduation (USC still is very strong name), but that does not mean they are necessarily doing what they wanted to do

innernetp wrote:5. How receptive are professors to forming mentor-style relationships with students? When you feel like you need advice on your career in general, do you speak with CSO/older students/? How has that worked out?

It depends on what you mean by "mentor-style relationship." If by that you mean to ask if they are open to answer hard questions, give strategic advice re: your career, etc., then the professors are excellent. My professors (particularly those who spent a fair amount of time in private practice) are fantastic resources for answering those types of questions, and have generally been very receptive to talking to their students about whatever is on their mind (class-related or not). I have had incredible personal advice seminars from a number of my professors on different areas of legal practice.

If you meant "help get you a job, beyond giving a LOR," it bit hard to me to answer this question, because I got a job very early on in the process, and did not resort to this sort of tactic. However, my bet is that you would have a harder time building a meaningful relationship that you could "pull favors" from within your 1L (given how busy you are, and the relatively constrained interactions with your profs generally.)

Our CSO is also quite good, and they are always willing to help you out, but they tend to be more formalized in their help -- IE they will critique your resumes, hold mock interviews, notify you of job postings in your target interests, and can speak generally about the process and experiences they learn second-hand (or sometimes firsthand) about the programs available. A better resource for the "insider" information is through your fellow students. I have grabbed lunch and talked with everyone who goes here that has worked/will be working at my summer employer, and they were all very helpful. Upper classmen here are very friendly, and seem willing to help out in any way they can.

innernetp wrote:6. Other than entertainment law and legal writing, do you feel like there's anything that USC does that sets it apart from other schools?

It's for me to know what exists elsewhere, but here some of the other "hard" considerations that made me want to come here over other schools:
(1) the really practical focus of many of their extra curriculars and courses, including great clinics, really active student communities, a TON of practice-focused events, etc.
(2) they also have optional "certification programs" in business and entertainment, which basically design a curriculum for you to follow and give you a distinction when you graduate in that focus (as Dean Rassmussen said, they created it in response to people in local practice wanting grads who had more of a "major"-like focus in their curriculum)
(3) Though it is probably a personal bias, I think we have a great transactional department, both in corp and real estate. Lots of great classes in contract strategy and negotiation that I didn't necessarily see in the same numbers at other schools
(4) the Trojan network in SoCal really is awesome. I have been taken out to lunch by alumni at every major law firm I have ever contacted, and there is a palpable fierce loyalty that you just don't see at a lot of (say, public) schools
(5) Though these are not unique, the small classes, the well-balanced 1L course loads and the variety of courses offered were all big plusses for me.

But the intangible things are also really important. You really should try to get a "feel" of the schools you are looking at, because that will tend to capture a lot of things that you might subconsciously be looking for in your law education.

innernetp wrote:7. This is kind of related to 4. On other law school tours some of the students told me that they felt grading was pretty subjective (a concern with no relation to bell curves); sometimes they felt it was more to do with how the professor liked their writing. Have you felt that your grades are an accurate reflection of the work you put into them, or do you think there's some variance there that you have no control over (aside from the curve)? My guess is that at some schools with great employment prospects, maybe students under the median are there because they're coming from situations where debt is not as much of an issue and they feel comfortable with their opportunities, but I fear that at many schools those students are working just as hard as everyone else and want biglaw but just won't be able to reach it. I have no idea where USC falls into those categories.

Although results do not always equate to how hard you work at them, I tend not to agree that LS grades are subjective. Most professors are pretty transparent about what they are looking for on their exams (USC posts a LOT of old exams), and your "writing style" is relevant only insofar as your analysis is organized enough to follow and make your arguments effectively. But where most people get tripped up is that LS exams ARE NOT like other exams you have taken. It is a learned skill (which USC tries to help you learn through some of their tutor programs.) Spend some time surfing this site for the how to guides on LS success -- they tend to be very illustrative of my point and accurate.

I also think that there are very few students at any law school that do not care about grades or don't work hard -- even Yale students have to compete for good grades to get the best jobs/clerkships/academic appointments/reccommendations, etc. The fact is that people who go to law school tend to be very driven and competitive by nature, and good grades lead to better opportunities in any field (including PI.) That mentality actual becomes more relevant ex post -- IE after grades come out, your school's prestige can placate some of your anxiety about your opportunities. In general, though, the higher the prestige of the school, the higher the percentage of students that end up in the jobs they want, but also the harder it is to get good grades (the debate as to HOW MUCH harder is often debated in the TLS world.) I am not sure if I answered your question, but I hope you foudn it useful.

innernetp wrote:8. Is there anything you'd change about the school thus far?

Ummm...well our building is pretty ugly... :wink: Honestly, I have been incredibly happy with my decision, and have loved my time here so far. We have so many great professors, programs, people, and I have found the work well-paced and engaging. Some of it is brutal (just WAIT until you start having legal brief/memo weekends), but overall it has been a lot of fun.

innernetp wrote:9. Anything you wish someone had told you when you were agonizing over your law school decision? :-)

Ya - go with your gut. TLS 's common wisdom is to go to the schools with the best rankings and placement. Those are relevant objective factors, but they are not the only factors. Law school is a very personal experience, and it is three years of your life. Like I mentioned in q3, there are a lot of things that should/do go into your LS decision. Feel confident about your own thoughts as to what school matches your interests/goals best, and make the most out of that decision and don't look back. As with anything, law school is almost entirely what you make of it.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 pm

You are so helpful!!

Arelikefoxes wrote:Here are some quick thoughts:

innernetp wrote:3. Do you feel that graduating with ~150k in debt from USC is a reasonable decision if a potential student is looking at graduating with no debt from a T30 school? I'd definitely like experience in a mid-sized firm but I'm scared of being married to biglaw for the entire decade after graduation.

This is the big (~$150K) question. The answer really depends on your career goals, current debt, tolerance for carrying debt, desire/need to work in a specific market, etc. I think that

I think this may have gotten cut off?

Just for more perspective, I'm graduating from that same T30 school right now with no debt. I'm willing to take some on, and I'm still not 100% sure where I'd like to work, but I know for sure that it's not in the T30 school's state. I love California (though LA isn't my favorite part I'm really hoping that when I visit I'll see more areas where I could see myself living), but I could also see myself in Miami or Atlanta. Maybe DC.

My sister-in-law has been working for Skadden and seeing her experiences with it really scares me off from big law, but I feel like a more boutique style firm or midlaw would be okay for me. I'm not afraid of working hard or longer hours for a few years, but I'd like to work somewhere where I'm not essentially a slave and my contributions as a human being are valued. That sounds really corny and naive but I think you probably know what I mean. Anyway, not trying to steal this thread away!

Looks like I'll be in town two weekends for now so I'm guessing law review will be a bit of a stretch. I have a friend getting his phd at USC so I'll have him take me out on the town. :)

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm

innernetp wrote:You are so helpful!!

Arelikefoxes wrote:Here are some quick thoughts:

I think this may have gotten cut off?

Just for more perspective, I'm graduating from that same T30 school right now with no debt. I'm willing to take some on, and I'm still not 100% sure where I'd like to work, but I know for sure that it's not in the T30 school's state. I love California (though LA isn't my favorite part I'm really hoping that when I visit I'll see more areas where I could see myself living), but I could also see myself in Miami or Atlanta. Maybe DC.

My sister-in-law has been working for Skadden and seeing her experiences with it really scares me off from big law, but I feel like a more boutique style firm or midlaw would be okay for me. I'm not afraid of working hard or longer hours for a few years, but I'd like to work somewhere where I'm not essentially a slave and my contributions as a human being are valued. That sounds really corny and naive but I think you probably know what I mean. Anyway, not trying to steal this thread away!

Looks like I'll be in town two weekends for now so I'm guessing law review will be a bit of a stretch. I have a friend getting his phd at USC so I'll have him take me out on the town. :)

Oops - yes, sorry about that. Well, again, there is not too much guidance I can give you about how to balance these competing factors, other than to say that T30s (and to some extent, T20s) are going to be more regional, but a $130K debt cap is a lot of overcome.

If you can, check out SD or OC (where I live/intend to work)...SoCal has a lot of different lifestyles to offer. Also, as a side note, don't be too quick to foresake all biglaw based on one person's experience. It is universally a lot of work, but I have found biglaw's culture and stress levels also vary largely from firm to firm, and office to office...finding a good job is about finding a good match for what you are looking for.

...as a side note, my new fav quote about SoCal, from native Daniel Tosh:

"I hate people who claim they couldn't live in LA because they 'like seasons too much.' So do I! That's why I live in a place that skips all the shitty ones!"

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Arelikefoxes gave you some great answers, but just to add some of my thoughts in addition to what s/he said:

1. Absolutely. Just get in touch with any student and let them know when you'll be around, and if there is a bar review that week (they stop during crunch time) then you're more than welcome to come.

2. The community is very collegial and friendly. Most students are close friends with their super sections, and also students in other super sections. These are the people who know what you're going through and help you through it. Some students were may be less traditional (older, have children) don't socialize as much outside of school. People organize fun open-invite events outside of bar review all the time, like fishing trips, sports games, indie-bar reviews, etc., more so second semester than first semester.

3. Arentlikefoxes put it perfectly. It's a very personal decision. From my own experience though, and this may not be the best PR answer, attending a big name school in the market of your choice makes a huge, huge difference. I believe my job search was made a lot easier because of the name brand of this school, just as I'd expect that HLS 1Ls had an easier time than I may have.

4. You aren't "ranked" until the end of your first year, and only then are you told that you're are or aren't in the top 10%. The school provides the median as well (3.3) so you know if you are not in the top 50% . Between the 50% and the 10% mark, you and potential employers can only speculate. According to our CSO's studies, employers will almost always overestimate your ranking, so this is supposed to work in your favor. In terms of 1L jobs, having high first semester grades is definitely good. However, even being in the bottom 50% isn't a death sentence, 1. because you still go to a T20 school, 2. because you aren't ranked officially until the end of the year, and 3. many people got jobs before grades came out based on their undergrad stats and the strength of the school. If you bomb your first year, I am sure you will have a tough time during 2L OCI, again depending on what you want to do. From what upperclassmen tell me, after 1L, the curve isn't strict (if there even is one), and it's a lot easier to get A's and graduate with distinctions and all of that.

5. Professors are always open to you talking to them in office hours, but as a 1L I've found that it's easier to connect with other students and staff. CSO has always been a huge help to me, and so have older students. The school sets up an army of mentors for you. You have peer mentors, which is two 2Ls assigned to your small 18 person writing section, and you can ask them about life in law school, jobs, etc. Then the supersections of 80 students each get an ASIST Tutor, who teaches workshops that help you know how to take tests etc., and are available whenever to answer your academic concerns. These programs put you in close personal contact with 3 upperclassmen off the bat, and really any of the peer mentors and tutors are available to you whenever. I found these programs to be hugely helpful when I had questions about the job search, what certain professors liked on their tests, and stuff like that. Beyond that, you have school resources like the academic affairs staff that you can talk to. I have talked to certain professors I've connected with about job stuff and general life-related questions, but mostly I interact with them when I have a question on the material or their class specifically.

6. USC does a great job of putting you in the position to network easily and successfully. They have a networking event multiple times a week, which is free food and USC alums or local lawyers coming in from all fields of law to meet students.

7. Everyone works really hard, and sometimes it can feel like just knowing the material isn't enough. Taking tests is a skill, and because 1Ls are curved so strictly, half of the class is going to be unhappy with their grade. We're better off than a lot of schools in that we don't have to be in the top 1% to have a hope of getting a firm job. I don't feel that the grading is random, although I do feel it is overly harsh, but that's just the nature of curved grading.

8. The building's outside is hideous. If/when I make it big, I'm donating enough money to spring for at least a brick veneer.

9. Relax. If you got into USC, you have a lot of great options and you've already won this stage of your life. Take your time and try to get a feel for these schools. Visit, approach students and see what they have to say. Your law school experience, no matter where you go, will be what you make of it.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Good points. Thanks for chiming in.

Stupendous_Man wrote: According to our CSO's studies, employers will almost always overestimate your ranking, so this is supposed to work in your favor.

As a side note, this is because USC recently (as in two years ago) bumped the median from 3.2 to 3.3. As such, alums making hiring decisions have a belief that our median is .1 lower. :wink:

Stupendous_Man wrote: If/when I make it big, I'm donating enough money to spring for at least a brick veneer.

We should talk. There is an entire coalition of people who are behind you on this in our class.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Arelikefoxes wrote:...as a side note, my new fav quote about SoCal, from native Daniel Tosh:

"I hate people who claim they couldn't live in LA because they 'like seasons too much.' So do I! That's why I live in a place that skips all the shitty ones!"

Hahah. I am a lizard. I was in Phoenix last August and loved it. Schools without seasons are on the top of my list.

Thanks again.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 pm

How about a few less academic questions:

what is the gym like? is the gym near the law building?

what's available for meals? any good bars? restaurants?

what do students wear to class? to bar review? to the networking events?

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:56 pm

glitter178 wrote:How about a few less academic questions:

The gym is nice -- lots of basketball courts, good pool, not too crowded -- but a its a bit of a walk. A lot of law students get good use of it (when they have the free time.)

glitter178 wrote:what's available for meals? any good bars? restaurants?

It's LA -- the food and bars in general is great. Immediately around campus is not as good as other areas. We have the new Tudor center on campus, which has a bunch of big chains, and a lot of surrounding restaurants and bars. But I'm not local during most nights, so I defer to others.

glitter178 wrote:what do students wear to class? to bar review? to the networking events?

Classes run the gambit. Things tend to start off more formal, but pretty quickly tend to go informal. In general, though, I think it is a little more formality than UG because people tend to be older. But it IS California, so so long as you are wearing clothes, you are in the clear. Most of the time, people wear clothes to bar reviews, but otherwise it's your discretion unless there is a dress code at the bar. Networking events are full suits.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Oh, this question I forgot.

This is probably going to sound absurd, but here goes: A family member graduated from a T10 school a few years ago and said that cocaine was a huge deal there, especially for people in the top of their classes... more as a performance enhancing thing than a partying thing. I'm not turned off at all by other non-addictive drugs but that kinda scares me. This is the type of question that I know I'd be hesitant to answer if it makes USC come off poorly but, what's the drug culture like there? Feel free to PM me.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:23 pm

innernetp wrote:... drug culture like there?

I don't know of any "performance enhancing" drug use in our class, other than lots of caffeine...

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 am

Forgive my lack of fancy quoting, I don't get how to do that:

>>> It's a walk through campus. The gym is ok. It's not huge, but it has most of what you need. The machines/weights are mostly sort of old. The track is nice, and the pool is ok. It gets the job done, and it's free. Undergrads here are significantly more in shape/better looking (male and female) than undergrads at my ug gym.

what's available for meals? any good bars? restaurants?

>>> You are in L.A., which is going through something of a fine dining revival. There is good food everywhere. There are good/great bars and clubs everywhere. One of the greatest things about living in this city is discovering new amazing places to eat and drink, and it's a fun thing to do with your classmates.

what do students wear to class? to bar review? to the networking events?

>>> Clothes. Wear what you would normally wear to be seen in public. I would advise you to invest in layered clothing though, because for some reason the law school thinks it's ok to pump AC into every room at excessive levels. It is seriously freezing in some of the basement rooms. My theory is that it's for the people wearing suits? People wear less sweats than in my UG, but a lot of people come in gym clothes if they're headed towards the gym. Again, you're going to class with people you will someday be working with, so exercise your own common sense, decency, and style.

For bar review there are dress codes at a lot of LA bars/clubs, so leather shoes, button up or at least not a wrinkly shirt. Some bar reviews have a theme (like tonights!) or Law Prom.

Here's a gem to take with you wherever you go, that I learned the hard way: "casual" in networking events means "business casual," and "business casual" pretty much means business. If you are a male and need some business fashion advice, hit me up because I've spent a huge chunk of this semester learning the ins and outs and avoiding faux paus.

As for "drug culture", people on performance enhancing drugs are in the extreme minority, if at all, because law school isn't about getting it done. It's about learning the material and putting things together well during the final. I don't see any advantage in pulling all nighters, and this is coming from someone who did that all through undergrad. Not to mention that if you can't get your act together without drugs in law school, what are you going to do, buy adderall for the rest of your life as a lawyer? I'm not too personally concerned about the people who do it, although some people would consider it cheating. It's definitely not part of the culture, although if I had to bet I'd say there are at least one or two people.

As for recreational drug culture, you'll find that law students are far more reserved about this kind of thing for the most part, because you are in professional school now. What you do in the privacy of your own home is no one else's business, and you don't want to risk your legal reputation by flaunting whatever vices you may have. Whatever your social circle was in undergrad, you have to recognize that you have a huge mix of social scenes in law school, and students come from a very diverse array of experiences. I guess the quick answer would be I really don't know, and I haven't seen it. Again, exercise common sense and discretion. On that note, you probably shouldn't get uncontrollably s-faced at bar reviews, at the very least until later in the year when people who don't drink have filtered themselves out and you're more comfortable that you won't be judged for your horrible decisions.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:08 am

Hey, thanks for all the great replies.

On "Law Day" or the school's open house, do you think it would be awkward to bring family (possibly a good-sized group)? What is the norm and what would be acceptable? I don't really know what is planned, but I'm guessing there's isn't going to be a lot of room. It's just kind of big thing for my fam...

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:30 am

I'm not sure what the rule is (you should call admissions to find out for sure), but I didn't see anyone with family and I'd guess that guests aren't allowed. I hope I'm not mixing this up with orientation, but as I recall, there are a bunch of meet and greets, meals, and presentations, and seating is pretty tight. I'm almost positive they won't let you bring anyone if you sit in on a class, because there's just no room. You could bring your family to campus with you, and let them wander around on their own, but to be honest law day is kind of a whirlwind of seeing new things and meeting new people, and you'll be busy the entire time. A better solution might be going to campus together the day after and showing them around yourself.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:I'm not sure what the rule is (you should call admissions to find out for sure), but I didn't see anyone with family and I'd guess that guests aren't allowed. I hope I'm not mixing this up with orientation, but as I recall, there are a bunch of meet and greets, meals, and presentations, and seating is pretty tight. I'm almost positive they won't let you bring anyone if you sit in on a class, because there's just no room. You could bring your family to campus with you, and let them wander around on their own, but to be honest law day is kind of a whirlwind of seeing new things and meeting new people, and you'll be busy the entire time. A better solution might be going to campus together the day after and showing them around yourself.

Ok, thanks for the DL

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

What's the commute like from culver city/palms? Would living in that area work during 1L?

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 pm

I'll be living with my SO who will need to find a job in LA...would living in Culver City likely be acceptable from her perspective in terms of ease of access to the rest of the city? Would it be worth it to pony up the extra $ and live downtown?

Also, it seems like law students at other schools seem to conglomerate into certain specific apartment buildings/complexes...does this happen at USC? My intuition says it probably doesn't given that people don't seem to live on/near campus as much, but it'd be cool to know for sure.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 pm

TUP wrote:What's the commute like from culver city/palms? Would living in that area work during 1L?

The commute is around 15-20 minutes from what I have heard from friends (current USC undergrads) who live in that area. I think that would definitely work for 1L. Palms/Culver City is a nice area to live in.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Zabini wrote:I'll be living with my SO who will need to find a job in LA...would living in Culver City likely be acceptable from her perspective in terms of ease of access to the rest of the city? Would it be worth it to pony up the extra $ and live downtown?

Also, it seems like law students at other schools seem to conglomerate into certain specific apartment buildings/complexes...does this happen at USC? My intuition says it probably doesn't given that people don't seem to live on/near campus as much, but it'd be cool to know for sure.

Yeah, I think Culver City is pretty centrally located. It's about halfway between Santa Monica and downtown. Heading east toward downtown/USC in the morning shouldn't have too much traffic, so the commute won't be a problem (probably 15-20 minutes from Culver City to USC). Culver City would be a lot more convenient than downtown for good places to eat, the beach, etc. Downtown is kind of dead in the evenings and weekends, but a lot of the apartment buildings are really nice, and the commute to USC would only be about 10 minutes. I am a current USC undergrad and live downtown, so if you have any questions about downtown, PM me.

Can't answer your question about conglomerating in certain buildings since I'm not a current law student

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Zabini wrote:I'll be living with my SO who will need to find a job in LA...would living in Culver City likely be acceptable from her perspective in terms of ease of access to the rest of the city? Would it be worth it to pony up the extra $ and live downtown?

Yeah, I think Culver City is pretty centrally located. It's about halfway between Santa Monica and downtown. Heading east toward downtown/USC in the morning shouldn't have too much traffic, so the commute won't be a problem (probably 15-20 minutes from Culver City to USC). Culver City would be a lot more convenient than downtown for good places to eat, the beach, etc. Downtown is kind of dead in the evenings and weekends, but a lot of the apartment buildings are really nice, and the commute to USC would only be about 10 minutes. I am a current USC undergrad and live downtown, so if you have any questions about downtown, PM me.

Can't answer your question about conglomerating in certain buildings since I'm not a current law student

I'm visiting this weekend - what are some neighborhoods I should drive through? Is Culver City safe?

Also, what's parking like at the law school? Edit: I saw this was answered in another thread so just to clarify, is there parking that's right next to the school or is it a walk? Just curious for walking around at night.

Thanks!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 am

innernetp wrote:I'm visiting this weekend - what are some neighborhoods I should drive through? Is Culver City safe?

Also, what's parking like at the law school? Edit: I saw this was answered in another thread so just to clarify, is there parking that's right next to the school or is it a walk? Just curious for walking around at night.

Thanks!

I think I sent you a PM about some of the neighborhoods, but Culver City is definitely a place to check out. It is safe and relatively affordable.

The parking structures closest to the law school are PS2 (behind the Radisson Hotel) and PS1 (which is across Exposition from PS2). They are right across the street from campus and are less than a 5-minute walk from the law school. There are generally a lot of students crossing the street in that area, but if you wanted to cross later at night (say midnight), I would exercise caution. There are also 4 on-campus parking structures (PSA, PSB, PSD, and PSX). PSX would be the closest of the 4, but it is practically impossible to get a parking permit for that structure since it is a small structure and also the most popular.

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 am

Some time in the indefinite future a direct light rail line between Culver City and USC's campus will open. It's supposed to open in November.
--LinkRemoved--)

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 am

8ballistic wrote:Some time in the indefinite future a direct light rail line between Culver City and USC's campus will open. It's supposed to open in November.
--LinkRemoved--)

Yes, I actually got an email a couple of days ago from USC Transportation saying that train testing was set to begin very soon.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Just out of curiosity... how are you guys planning on dealing with the debt? I'm still visiting and it's even tougher now that I've put a very beautiful image to the name. USC is great, there's no doubt about it. I just don't know if it's one hundred thousand dollars of great. This is tough man.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”