St. John's 2011 Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
newyorkqueens

St. John's 2011 Questions

Postby newyorkqueens » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I've just received a full ride from SJU and am planning to attend if a few other 2/3 T's don't provide full rides. Yes, I am aware of the concerns with a TTT ITE. I've done my research and know that big law is still doubtful even if in top 5% / law review, but that's a gamble I'm willing to take. I will have no COL loans, so let's not go down that path.

My questions are:

1) Has anybody lived in the school housing? It seems pretty steep for a Jamaica location, and I was just wondering about the quality / benefits of living with other SJU students.

2) What is the culture like? I know that it isn't as friendly as say a BC or as strong a community as other city schools, but do you get to know your classmates well? I'd be moving to NYC and know nobody. I can handle making friends outside LS but just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks!

NY

decibel8710

Re: St. John's 2011 Questions

Postby decibel8710 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 pm

newyorkqueens wrote:I've just received a full ride from SJU and am planning to attend if a few other 2/3 T's don't provide full rides. Yes, I am aware of the concerns with a TTT ITE. I've done my research and know that big law is still doubtful even if in top 5% / law review, but that's a gamble I'm willing to take. I will have no COL loans, so let's not go down that path.

My questions are:

1) Has anybody lived in the school housing? It seems pretty steep for a Jamaica location, and I was just wondering about the quality / benefits of living with other SJU students.

2) What is the culture like? I know that it isn't as friendly as say a BC or as strong a community as other city schools, but do you get to know your classmates well? I'd be moving to NYC and know nobody. I can handle making friends outside LS but just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks!

NY

+1

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 am

decibel8710 wrote:
newyorkqueens wrote:I've just received a full ride from SJU and am planning to attend if a few other 2/3 T's don't provide full rides. Yes, I am aware of the concerns with a TTT ITE. I've done my research and know that big law is still doubtful even if in top 5% / law review, but that's a gamble I'm willing to take. I will have no COL loans, so let's not go down that path.

My questions are:

Thanks!

NY

+1

I do not go to SJU but I live in NY, took a summer class there for UG transfer credit and have a bunch of friends that go there. I say that to say this, since you already know about the job prospects coming out, I wont go there with you.

I recommend the student housing b/c although the neighborhood is relatively safe, St. John's is a confusing and annoying campus, there are like subtle alleyways to get across the campus and living on campus in the middle of everything is easier. It's also a completely gated in campus, minus 3 or 4 entrances, I know these are minor things, but walking all the way around every morning for living off campus can get annoying as shit.

I don't know about the law school, but there are alot of indian kids (specifically Indian guidos). Not that I care or have anything against it, I just thought I'd let you know. SJU is a pretty diverse place, which is cool. But I warn you, although SJU is friendly for a NY school, never come to NYC expecting friendly, you won't get it. If you are from down south or the midwest, you may be in for a culture shock. No doubt you will make friends, but NY schools are probably the least friendly in America, not in a gunnerish way, just the atmosphere of NY is very uninviting for an out-of-stater (or out-of citier for that matter)

Also if you go to SJU, you probably wont get NY, but Long Island, if you get a job. Just know that going in.

Also this knowledge is based off the undergrad campus and knowledge I have from taking a summer class and friends. I am no expert, take this with a grain of salt. Good luck.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Indian guidos? I'm from Long Island and I've never seen one of these creatures. I'd love to see a pic haha.

SJU is considered one of the top 3 (maybe #1?) most diverse campuses in the country. Undergrad has an insane number of international students and students of every background you could think of. Not sure about the law school though.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Indian guidos? I'm from Long Island and I've never seen one of these creatures. I'd love to see a pic haha.

SJU is considered one of the top 3 (maybe #1?) most diverse campuses in the country. Undergrad has an insane number of international students and students of every background you could think of. Not sure about the law school though.

As an alum of STJ UG I should also mention that all those diverse students can get very clique-y as well, so don't go in expecting a multiracial utopia. But you should get a good mix of perspective and culture.

As to STJ housing, yes it's probably more convenient, but it's also going to be much more expensive than apartments in the area. You can save a lot of money by finding a cheap-ish apartment.

And while I don't go to STJ law, I can say that while you're in the NYC market, you are not in Manhattan. You are in Queens. Don't confuse the two. Commuting to Manhattan is certainly doable but can be tiresome from Jamaica, especially late at night. Queens itself has its highs and lows, but you have to learn to deal with the congestion and overcrowdedness. It good for some, difficult for others. Definitely check out the area before you go to school there though, especially if you are having dreams of going to a "New York City" school.

I'd also wager that the poster above was right in saying that STJ lawyers largely end up on Long Island/Queens. The city is doable, but you need to be at the top of your class.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I too am from Queens, and a St. John's applicant. I was recently accepted to Rutgers Newark and posted my thoughts in the Rutgers thread, with regard to the areas which surround the two schools. This may shed some insight on what to expect if you are not from around these parts. This was in response to a poster who thought that St. John's had more of the "big city" life than Rutgers - Newark.

I truly believe you would live more of the NYC life if you lived in Hoboken NJ, as opposed to Queens. I live in a very nice section of Queens (there are a few of them), but its very residential. It has a suburban feel, but not city-like at all. Now, places like Long Island City and Astoria are good for that city vibe and proximity to Manhattan, but they are far from the law school - 15 minutes by car with absolutely no traffic, and a long time if there is traffic. Its tough to have a car in those areas too. If you live in Bayside, like I do, you can have a car. However, its more expensive and 20 minutes from Manhattan. About 15 minutes to St. John's coming from the other side of Queens.

I bring up the notion of a car a lot because getting to St. John's is tough without one. There are buses but no close by subways, and commuting from Manhattan or one of those trendy Queens neighborhoods is going to be a pain in the neck, though it can be done. Figure at least 45 minutes by public transportation, door to door. Though not a bad neighborhood, St. John's is located in the middle of no mans land. Not close to Manhattan, not close to the cool parts of Queens, not close to good public transportation. Its residential, feels more like Long Island than NYC.

On the other hand we have Hoboken, NJ - the place where many Rutgers students commute from. Its close to the school and Manhattan. With around a 20 minute commute via public transportation to either destination. No need to drive everyday. Couple that with the feel of Hoboken, which is akin to one of those hip young professional areas in Brooklyn and Queens. In fact, its more upscale than the Queens options and Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

Anyway that's my perspective, hope it provided some insight if you are not from the area.

Edit: although I looked at your screen name, so I'm guessing you might be from the area too! :D In that case, hi neighbor! Maybe this will help some other viewers decide on QoL issues.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
decibel8710 wrote:

My questions are:

Thanks!

NY

+1

I do not go to SJU but I live in NY, took a summer class there for UG transfer credit and have a bunch of friends that go there. I say that to say this, since you already know about the job prospects coming out, I wont go there with you.

I recommend the student housing b/c although the neighborhood is relatively safe, St. John's is a confusing and annoying campus, there are like subtle alleyways to get across the campus and living on campus in the middle of everything is easier. It's also a completely gated in campus, minus 3 or 4 entrances, I know these are minor things, but walking all the way around every morning for living off campus can get annoying as shit.

I don't know about the law school, but there are alot of indian kids (specifically Indian guidos). Not that I care or have anything against it, I just thought I'd let you know. SJU is a pretty diverse place, which is cool. But I warn you, although SJU is friendly for a NY school, never come to NYC expecting friendly, you won't get it. If you are from down south or the midwest, you may be in for a culture shock. No doubt you will make friends, but NY schools are probably the least friendly in America, not in a gunnerish way, just the atmosphere of NY is very uninviting for an out-of-stater (or out-of citier for that matter)

Also if you go to SJU, you probably wont get NY, but Long Island, if you get a job. Just know that going in.

Also this knowledge is based off the undergrad campus and knowledge I have from taking a summer class and friends. I am no expert, take this with a grain of salt. Good luck.

FYI the law student dorms are about a mile from campus on Union Turnpike.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 pm

RW65 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
decibel8710 wrote:

My questions are:

Thanks!

NY

+1

FYI the law student dorms are about a mile from campus on Union Turnpike.

Didn't know that, like I said, I am familiar with UG campus.

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Having been an undergrad there I know many of the current law students. St. Johns Law is completely different from St Johns undergrad.

From what i've seen, the classes at the law school are fairly close knit and there are a lot of different student orgs and social events. Most people who go to the law school are from the area and want to practice law in NY, which is the area of practice the school is geared towards. Most of the people I have met from the school find apartments nearby rather than staying in the offered housing, but from what I hear the dorms are fairly nice and new.

The alumni network is fantastic which I know from personal experience - there are a number of judges, lawyers, prosecutors, politicians, etc. that are from St. John's and who are very supportive of St. Johns law students. Also, as a side note, in the NY legal community St. John's is not looked down upon in the slightest - especially if you're in on a full scholarship.

Admittedly, the surrounding area leaves much to be desired, but the immediate neighborhood isn't a bad one and its only a 20 minute train ride to Manhattan. If you have a car, you'll be fine - but if not there's plenty of public transportation.

PM me if you have any questions about the area, school, etc.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi everyone,
I was admitted to STJ with a 19k/year scholarship, so I'm pretty sure I'll be attending this fall. However, I am pretty set on living in Manhattan. From what I've researched, the commute would be easiest (using public transportation) from midtown. Does anyone have any thoughts on commuting from the city/what subways & neighborhoods would be best? I'm sure some of you will advise against this, however it has always been my dream to live in New York City and I really don't want to put it off for another three years and live in Queens. I'm pretty confident I can do the commute since I've commuted for work before from the suburbs into the city. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm

East Coast Law wrote:Having been an undergrad there I know many of the current law students. St. Johns Law is completely different from St Johns undergrad.

From what i've seen, the classes at the law school are fairly close knit and there are a lot of different student orgs and social events. Most people who go to the law school are from the area and want to practice law in NY, which is the area of practice the school is geared towards. Most of the people I have met from the school find apartments nearby rather than staying in the offered housing, but from what I hear the dorms are fairly nice and new.

The alumni network is fantastic which I know from personal experience - there are a number of judges, lawyers, prosecutors, politicians, etc. that are from St. John's and who are very supportive of St. Johns law students. Also, as a side note, in the NY legal community St. John's is not looked down upon in the slightest - especially if you're in on a full scholarship.

Admittedly, the surrounding area leaves much to be desired, but the immediate neighborhood isn't a bad one and its only a 20 minute train ride to Manhattan. If you have a car, you'll be fine - but if not there's plenty of public transportation.

Absolutely not. It's likely 10-20 minutes just to wait for a Q46 bus and have it get you to the Kew Gardens subway stop. From there depending on where you are going in Manhattan and whether you catch the E (fast) or F (slow) it's another 30-50 minutes. That's assuming everything is running well. Plus coming back from Manhattan to St. John's late at night can be difficult. The E hasn't been running properly after 10 p.m. recently, trains are infrequent and after midnight the Q46 runs every half hour at best. You can certainly go to the city a lot if you can make time, but people shouldn't go in thinking they're practically in Manhattan. The commute can be a pain, and Jamaica is way different from Manhattan. That doesn't mean bad, just different. Again, everyone should check the area out for themselves and see how they like it. Plenty of people are happy there.

Also, if you drive be prepared to have a ton of trouble finding parking around campus and expect to get parking tickets, unless you're willing to fork over a good amount of money for an on campus parking permit.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Okay, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. I plan on finding an apartment near an E train in the city (looks like midtown manhattan would be closest) so that I don't have to change trains at all. Does anyone think this is doable? I know people who commute to the law school from Long Island, but I don't know how much farther that would be than commuting from Manhattan.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 pm

LB88 wrote:Okay, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. I plan on finding an apartment near an E train in the city (looks like midtown manhattan would be closest) so that I don't have to change trains at all. Does anyone think this is doable? I know people who commute to the law school from Long Island, but I don't know how much farther that would be than commuting from Manhattan.

That's because I wasn't answering your question, I was responding to the text I quoted.

I guess it's possible to commute to STJ from Manhattan. I don't know if it's advisable, especially/at least as a 1L when you don't want to waste a chunk of your day commuting. Even if you stay in Queens all day to study, it gets tougher to commute at night and you're going to have to take the Q46 bus to the E or F trains. There's no completely direct route from Manhattan to STJ. Also, living in Manhattan is going to put a big dent in that yearly scholarship. Living in midtown is going to be very expensive. If money isn't an issue for you that's one thing, but if you are debt averse you should really look into what the cost is going to be if you want to rent in Manhattan for three years.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 pm

LB88 wrote:Okay, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. I plan on finding an apartment near an E train in the city (looks like midtown manhattan would be closest) so that I don't have to change trains at all. Does anyone think this is doable? I know people who commute to the law school from Long Island, but I don't know how much farther that would be than commuting from Manhattan.

I'm sure it has been done many time before. Given that law students are known to be on campus for 10 hours at a time, I think this will get real old, real fast. That commute is a nightmare. The reverse of which is the kind of thing people do to save significant money while working, but not for school. Its really impractical. You're setting yourself up for a far worse commute than is needed. Most of your classmates will live in Queens or Long Island (which would even be better), so they will have more time to devote to their studies compared to a person taking buses and trains for hours at a time. Yeah, you can study on the way, but I hope you're able to get a lot of quality work done on the commute.

quicknick

Postby quicknick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 am

Hey I am pretty sure that I will be attending STJ in the fall and starting to look at potential living options and I was wondering if anyone knew how living in the law school apartments are? I have friends that went UG there and the rules for living on campus were really strict IE, you had to check visitors in and you were not allowed to have members of the opposite sex in your room past a certain hour.

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:28 pm

the campus life at st johns is terrible, the only reason why i am currently enrolled there is because of the Sport Management program and the NY culture, however the "NY Culture" is a bit over-exaggerated, i feel like im in high school all over again. i just want to graduate and get out. to be honest lol. as for housing ive heard mixed reviews, some say its good some say its good, either way its going to be expensive, St Johns is VERY expensive.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 am

For anyone currently going to the school...
Is life there without a car a lot more of a hassle than if you had one? I'm going to visit on Saturday so I'll get more of a feel for the campus, but it sounds like it's pretty isolated from Manhattan, which worries me (since I was hoping to go somewhere closer to the city, but St John's offered me the most money). Do you think I would be able to visit the city on weekends easily enough? And are the buses to and from subway lines into Manhattan/Brooklyn a pain?

PeterD2189

Postby PeterD2189 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm

personally, the car for me is such a luxury, its much easier to get around, parking is not too bad. i never liked relying on the MTA especially in bad weather situations, the car just seems like a better choice (thats if you can afford it), if you are on a tight budget than the MTA is your best bet. If you are going out to the city though, the MTA is best way to go, access to the city is not a problem, however the city is very expensive, if you want to live large at St. Johns you gotta have the pockets to match your desires, the subways are good and usually on time going into manhattan/brooklyn. it is just with bad weather the buses and subways can really set you back, thats why for School, id go with the car, but to go out on the weekends to the city, your best bet is the MTA (subway,buses).

hope this helps.

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 am

LB88 wrote:For anyone currently going to the school...
Is life there without a car a lot more of a hassle than if you had one? I'm going to visit on Saturday so I'll get more of a feel for the campus, but it sounds like it's pretty isolated from Manhattan, which worries me (since I was hoping to go somewhere closer to the city, but St John's offered me the most money). Do you think I would be able to visit the city on weekends easily enough? And are the buses to and from subway lines into Manhattan/Brooklyn a pain?

Here's my opinion. I know Queens and Manhattan very well... I lived there for 3 years during undergrad and I am moving back to go to SJU Law. Here's the deal. I believe it is in your best interest to move to Forest Hills. If you get a good location, you can be literally a 3-5 minute walk from the subway. (E and F trains run express during rush hours and local during off-peak hours.) The subway will take approximately 30-50 minutes, depending on when you want to go into the city. (Manhattan) You will pay about half of what you would pay in the city, and even get a bigger, nicer apartment. If you have a car, its a 10 minute drive to SJU from Forest Hills. If you don't you can take the bus. I don't know exactly how long the bus takes from Forest Hills to SJU, but I would imagine it could take about 20-30 minutes, including time waiting for the bus. IMO, this is FAR better than spending a crazy amount of money living in the city, taking about an hour to get to SJU, and not getting much in return, other than closer proximity to midtown. Remember, even if you live in Manhattan, you will need to take the subway or buses anyway to get around within Manhattan. Most of what you want to get out of living in the city can easily be had by living in Forest Hills, with much less time wasted and money spent.

Either way, good luck. Maybe we will be in class together in the Fall.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

shmumush wrote:
LB88 wrote:For anyone currently going to the school...

Here's my opinion. I know Queens and Manhattan very well... I lived there for 3 years during undergrad and I am moving back to go to SJU Law. Here's the deal. I believe it is in your best interest to move to Forest Hills. If you get a good location, you can be literally a 3-5 minute walk from the subway. (E and F trains run express during rush hours and local during off-peak hours.) The subway will take approximately 30-50 minutes, depending on when you want to go into the city. (Manhattan) You will pay about half of what you would pay in the city, and even get a bigger, nicer apartment. If you have a car, its a 10 minute drive to SJU from Forest Hills. If you don't you can take the bus. I don't know exactly how long the bus takes from Forest Hills to SJU, but I would imagine it could take about 20-30 minutes, including time waiting for the bus. IMO, this is FAR better than spending a crazy amount of money living in the city, taking about an hour to get to SJU, and not getting much in return, other than closer proximity to midtown. Remember, even if you live in Manhattan, you will need to take the subway or buses anyway to get around within Manhattan. Most of what you want to get out of living in the city can easily be had by living in Forest Hills, with much less time wasted and money spent.

Either way, good luck. Maybe we will be in class together in the Fall.

THANK YOU! I'm going up tomorrow for the admitted students day so I will definitely check out Forest Hills...was looking for someone who knew the area with some sound advice. Hope to see you this fall.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Also check the Kew Gardens area, which is even more accessible to SJU than Forest Hills and even more reasonably priced (though a little further from Manhattan and maybe a bit less nice).

shmumush

Postby shmumush » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Robespierre wrote:Also check the Kew Gardens area, which is even more accessible to SJU than Forest Hills and even more reasonably priced (though a little further from Manhattan and maybe a bit less nice).

Kew Gardens is definitely closer to SJU... can't deny that. Personally, I like that area a bit more because parking is much easier. For LB88 though, I still suggest Forest Hills because it is walkable to the subway to Manhattan. From Kew Gardens, you need to hop on a bus (about 7-8 minutes) to the subway. Free transfer though. (With a Metrocard)

starlight007

Postby starlight007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 pm

If anyone remembers MrSoooofly......that's the guido yet loveable stereotype of a SJU student that was aforementioned.

LB88

Postby LB88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Another question for anyone getting their loans together or for those of you already in school...I won't be getting help from anywhere else, and I'll have about $2-3,000 in savings by the time I get to school. How much per month would you say you live on besides rent (trying to figure out how much money I should be taking out). So besides books, rent, and transportation (I'll be using metro card) what do you guys think is a good amount per month?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”