Considering Iowa Law and want to know more about Iowa City?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
smiller1

Considering Iowa Law and want to know more about Iowa City?

Postby smiller1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Any questions regarding Iowa City - housing, the culture, atmosphere, etc - shoot them at me. I'm a 23-year-old woman attending law school here in the fall. I have spent my whole life in Iowa City, including undergrad at the University of Iowa. So, if you have any questions about what it's like in this town, I'm your girl!

...Oh, by the way, as far as I know there is not a single corn stock growing out of Iowa City soil, so get those stereotypical "Iowa" images out of your head :)

BobCostas

Re: Considering Iowa Law and want to know more about Iowa City?

Postby BobCostas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Does it snow there? Are there temperatures below freezing? Is there a high/significant risk of tornadoes? What is the cost of living like, how much does a small single-family home go for in a decent area?

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Does it snow there? Are there temperatures below freezing? Is there a high/significant risk of tornadoes? What is the cost of living like, how much does a small single-family home go for in a decent area?

Well, it most definitely snows here. Right now we have over 13 inches on the ground after our first bad snow storm of the season. In regards to freezing temps, Iowa City definitely experiences all four seasons at their mightiest, winter being no exception. December through February can get some pretty cold temps.

In regard to cost of living, Iowa City is pretty cheap, actually. Most of the Iowa City/Coralville area is safe, with the exception of a few places. Stay away from living very close to Highway 6 as well as very close to the Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville (Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty are pretty much one big area, not really separate cities at all). I would say you could buy a small single family home (non-condo) in a good area for around $150,000.

As for tornado risk, it's hard to say. In my 23 years living here, tornado damage was nil with the exception of the summer of 2005, in which a tornado actually touched down in downtown Iowa City, causing quite a bit in damages (no serious injury or deaths though.) But I would say that's really the exception.

All in all though, I have loved growing up in Iowa City and would recommend it as a quiet but fun place to spend one's law school years.

Hope this has been helpful.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:57 pm

How is the public transportation in Iowa City? I'm strongly considering Iowa, the atmosphere and school both seem really awesome.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34 pm

How is the public transportation in Iowa City? I'm strongly considering Iowa, the atmosphere and school both seem really awesome.

You can get by without a car in Iowa City. Iowa City and the UI have numerous busing routes running throughout the area, though if you want to be able to take one bus to get places, I would recommend staying within a five mile radius. Here is a link to the IC busing routes, so if you plan on taking buses, look for places on these routes. Pay attention to the East Side/West Side routes. http://www.icgov.org/default/?id=1519 Here are the UI bus routes as well http://www.uiowa.edu/cambus/route_map.html

In all honesty though, if you don't plan on bringing a car, I would strongly recommend getting a place within walking distance to the law school, like in the downtown area. There's plenty of affordable apartments in downtown Iowa City. Get an apartment in the downtown area and you are, at most, a 20 minute walk from the school as well as just steps from the fun downtown scene/grocery stores/anything.

Hope this answered your question!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Wikipedia. Top source for all important info

patzan221

Postby patzan221 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for doing this. I was wondering how difficult it is to find a job in Iowa City. My wife would be working while I'm in school and I was wondering how hard the recession has hit your area.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:55 pm

[url]I was wondering how difficult it is to find a job in Iowa City. My wife would be working while I'm in school and I was wondering how hard the recession has hit your area.[/url]

I'm not sure exactly what field your wife would be looking to pursue, but in general terms, Iowa City is doing great during the recession. With the University as well as the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - a HUGE hospital - the economy has been doing relatively well. In fact, the national news syndicate The Daily Beast named Iowa City as well as Cedar Rapids - a bigger city about a 20 minute drive away - as the 6th and 5th most "recession-proof" cities in the nation. http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2017/1/

This isn't to say Iowa City hasn't been impacted at all, though your wife should have about as good of a chance here as she'll have anywhere else getting a job.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 pm

For those interested in what kind of space your money can get you in Iowa City, I just signed a lease on the West Side of town (about 3/4 mile from the law school) for a large two bedroom apartment (I want to use one of the bedrooms as a study/office) for $590 a month - everything included but electric, which apparently runs about $35 a month. Not too shabby for a huge place for one person.

Last year I lived in large two bedroom apartment in downtown Iowa City (Van Buren and Burlington - very close to everything). I shared that place with a roommate, and that cost us about $400 a month each, plus electric.

So yeah, thought I'd just share these prices for anyone who was wondering about the cost of rent in Iowa City. Hope it was helpful!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”