Notre Dame 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BushyPotter

New

Re: Notre Dame 1L taking questions

Post by BushyPotter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:By the way you are referring to christians, I'm assuming you mean to say protestants and if that is what you mean, then yes, they are around at ND. for clarification, catholics and protestants are both christians.
Yes, I was assuming that you would make that assumption, I thought most protestants referred to themselves as christian and most if not all catholics called themselves catholic, but you are right, my mistake, I am human and a mistake that could be easily fixed shouldn't lead me away from going to a great school with great people
I definitely have to get ready for law school...sigh

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

not the OP but will also take q's

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 am

YourCaptain wrote:not the OP but will also take q's
Whats the social life for law students, is there a "bar review" type venue like most other schools have? Drinking one night a week may keep me sane. So, it is semi- important to me.

Also do most law students live on or off campus? I really want to live off campus and have my car, because my gf and fam will probably come to visit me at least a few times through the semester and I need my own spot. Will living alone and off campus isolate me from the rest of the law student society?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:30 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:not the OP but will also take q's
Whats the social life for law students, is there a "bar review" type venue like most other schools have? Drinking one night a week may keep me sane. So, it is semi- important to me.

Also do most law students live on or off campus? I really want to live off campus and have my car, because my gf and fam will probably come to visit me at least a few times through the semester and I need my own spot. Will living alone and off campus isolate me from the rest of the law student society?
There is a venue for what you're looking for; the 3Ls normally name the place in through a weekly email. Several bars in the area; good opportunity to simply have a good time with people and meet 2Ls/3Ls.

There is a sizable contingent on campus but there is also a sizable group off-campus; I couldn't say either way which has the greater number of students. I know many who live off campus and it will definitely not isolate you. People will call/text you if there's something going on at an on-campus apartment.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm

What's the curve at ND? Do you feel that it is a cutthroat environment, or do students look out for one another?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

mettasutta wrote:What's the curve at ND? Do you feel that it is a cutthroat environment, or do students look out for one another?
It's a great environment; everyone's friendly and friends are easy to make. I could hardly describe it as 'cutthroat;' if you work earlier than 11 on a saturday someone may very well call you a 'gunner.' If you lose an outline/notes through computer problems, there's a good chance a friend will step in and offer to get you back on your feet. I had to miss class for interviews; the person I sit next to in the classes missed offered me notes to fill in the gap.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 am

Thank you, YourCaptain! I have a couple more questions:

-What GPA does ND curve to?
-Is LRW graded or P/F?
-How much of a public interest culture exists at ND? Are stipends guaranteed for students who take low-paying or unpaid public interest positions during their 1L/2L summers? If not, of the students who applied, how many generally receive stipends?
-When you were deciding where to go, what were the other contenders, and why did ND stand out among them?

spicymeatball111

New

Post by spicymeatball111 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 pm

just read the ATL article mentioning NDLS's tuition increase. did the school indicate if the tuition will continue to increase in the next few years? I would like to have some concrete information rather than relying on the blog.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 pm

mettasutta wrote:Thank you, YourCaptain! I have a couple more questions:

-What GPA does ND curve to?
-Is LRW graded or P/F?
-How much of a public interest culture exists at ND? Are stipends guaranteed for students who take low-paying or unpaid public interest positions during their 1L/2L summers? If not, of the students who applied, how many generally receive stipends?
-When you were deciding where to go, what were the other contenders, and why did ND stand out among them?
1. We're moving to a median between 3.25-3.30 for 1L classes next semester. In the past, we usually had around a 3.2 (last semester was a 3.226).

2. First semester there is a 1 credit graded legal research class with the final just before Thanksgiving and a two credit graded legal writing class with the final memo due about a week before finals. Second semester there is a one credit LRW class graded which pretty much just involves an appellate brief and oral arguments right before spring break (then the class is over). This is of course unless they change it next year.

3. There are a decent amount of people interested in PI. As far as 1L summer goes, NDLS offers a $1000 stipend, which is paid for by our various alumni, for all students taking jobs in the public sector (this includes judicial internships, as I will be doing this summer). Work study may match that up to 3x, but this supposedly affects your aid award for 2L year.

4. Sure, I considered other schools, but in the end I could never turn down ND unless I had somehow been accepted to a T10. Even then, it would have been difficult to leave. You should come visit, this is really a special place. I turned down a $90K offer from UIUC. People often talk about the alumni network, but it is not exaggerated. Almost everyone I know found their summer job through the ND alumni network, including both undergrad and NDLS alums (and of course Double Domers). We also seem to place higher than our peers for federal and state clerkships, thanks in part due to this network.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:40 pm

bump

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

I'll throw one out there.

Do you think that the small class size has the potential to screw students over? I like the idea of a small class, but at the same time, a few gunners can lock you out of the top 10-15%. Do you think the advantages of a small class size outweigh the disadvantages?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 am

Advantages I think far outweigh the disadvantages. More than half of the class can either be on a journal or make moot court, and 1/7 make law review. Compare that to a bigger class where just getting on a journal can be a near impossible task. Also, I think we were hurt less in the NLJ numbers because employers don't have to hire a ridiculous amount of our graduates to stay at 20-25% even in these awful economic times. I don't think the standard deviation of the distribution is that much different here than at larger schools, but the proportion of gunners is probably even less here than at some bigger peer schools. I can't even think of that many advantages which you get from going to a larger school (more selection of courses and maybe a larger alumni network, but ours is so loyal that it makes up for that).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 pm

We just got the list of firms that have so far committed to attend our OCI next fall. If anyone wants it, PM me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:44 am

Question: How common is pet friendly housing in South Bend? I have a dog and a cat, and I really, really don't want to leave them with my parents in Texas. Also, I know that Notre Dame has an honor code that extends into personal lives, but I've been living with, and plan to continue living with, my fiance. Is this actually a problem or is it mostly ignored?

Also, schools in South Bend - my fiance is a teacher, but has been affected by the mass layoffs and education budget cuts in Texas, making him extra glad to relocate with me. What are the schools in the SB area like?

Kmoney22

New

Post by Kmoney22 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

Can anyone speak to how hard/easy is it to become an assiant rector? Is it highly competitive?

ndirish2014

New

Post by ndirish2014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 am

I have never owned a car and really, really don't want one. Would it be possible to live either on or off campus without a car?(biking/walking)

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am

goodgrief wrote:Question: How common is pet friendly housing in South Bend? I have a dog and a cat, and I really, really don't want to leave them with my parents in Texas. Also, I know that Notre Dame has an honor code that extends into personal lives, but I've been living with, and plan to continue living with, my fiance. Is this actually a problem or is it mostly ignored?

Also, schools in South Bend - my fiance is a teacher, but has been affected by the mass layoffs and education budget cuts in Texas, making him extra glad to relocate with me. What are the schools in the SB area like?
What grade? There are a few pretty good Catholic schools (and a high school right across the street from ND) in the area but the public schools are a little rough in SB, though there are better options in Mishawaka.

As far as the honor code they don't care too much about grad students (if they did they couldn't attract any, really). I don't think you can live in campus housing together unless you're married but they dont care what you do off campus (as long as you don't get arrested for anything.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 am

ndirish2014 wrote:I have never owned a car and really, really don't want one. Would it be possible to live either on or off campus without a car?(biking/walking)
Possible in terms of commuting back and forth from school but when it gets cold and snowy you'll probably want one for groceries/ general going places

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:11 am

Kmoney22 wrote:Can anyone speak to how hard/easy is it to become an assiant rector? Is it highly competitive?

I don't know for sure but its a sweet gig financially and almost all of the M.Div people will get one, and then you are also competing with every other graduate school, so I'd imagine its pretty tough especially because people who went to ND undergrad probably have a leg up.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 am

splitmuch wrote:
goodgrief wrote:Question: How common is pet friendly housing in South Bend? I have a dog and a cat, and I really, really don't want to leave them with my parents in Texas. Also, I know that Notre Dame has an honor code that extends into personal lives, but I've been living with, and plan to continue living with, my fiance. Is this actually a problem or is it mostly ignored?

What grade? There are a few pretty good Catholic schools (and a high school right across the street from ND) in the area but the public schools are a little rough in SB, though there are better options in Mishawaka.

As far as the honor code they don't care too much about grad students (if they did they couldn't attract any, really). I don't think you can live in campus housing together unless you're married but they dont care what you do off campus (as long as you don't get arrested for anything.)
Grades 8-12 in History and Social Studies. Thanks for answering!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 am

If you live off campus, it doesn't matter whether you live with him. In my apartment complex, pets are allowed...but I'm not sure how many other complexes are similar.

Regarding schools, the market here is not great either. If elementary, the best bet is the Penn Harris Madison schools in Mishawaka/Granger. They are a solid public school system, especially when compared to SB Community Schools which are a mess. There are also many Catholic elementary/middle schools (St. Joseph, Holy Family, Holy Cross, St. John the Baptist, etc...).

High schools, again you want to stay out of SB Community Schools (Washington, Adams, and Riley especially...Clay I don't think is quite as bad). There are also Penn (PHM) and Mishawaka. Penn is the best public school in the area, but it is a decent distance from ND (25 min- ish). Mishawaka is not as good, but better than the SB publics. Catholic high schools St. Joseph and Marian are solid, the best schools in the city (Marian is in Mishawaka, but only 15 minutes from ND).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 am

splitmuch wrote:
Kmoney22 wrote:Can anyone speak to how hard/easy is it to become an assiant rector? Is it highly competitive?

I don't know for sure but its a sweet gig financially and almost all of the M.Div people will get one, and then you are also competing with every other graduate school, so I'd imagine its pretty tough especially because people who went to ND undergrad probably have a leg up.
I've heard they definitely favor Double Domers...followed by people who went to other Catholic undergrads. It's pretty competitive, I don't know any numbers but just from hearing people talking about it.

JCUGuy0428

New

Post by JCUGuy0428 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:27 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I've heard they definitely favor Double Domers...followed by people who went to other Catholic undergrads. It's pretty competitive, I don't know any numbers but just from hearing people talking about it.

In my experience, I think the view of favoritism is overdone. I know quite a few double domers who applied, interviewed several places, and did not receive an offer while quite a few non-double domers had only 1 or 2 interviews and got an offer. It just depends on the connection you have with the other ARs and the Rector. It definitely is competitive - very much so - so I would not count on it by any means. But I think the favoritism is overblown.

Mr. December

New

Post by Mr. December » Tue May 10, 2011 2:59 pm

My understanding is that athletics are pretty big during ND undergrad. Does this apply for law students too? Also, if you're not particularly interested in sports, will you still feel comfortable at NDLS/on campus?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Mr. December wrote:My understanding is that athletics are pretty big during ND undergrad. Does this apply for law students too? Also, if you're not particularly interested in sports, will you still feel comfortable at NDLS/on campus?
As long as you aren't annoyed by people talking about sports and don't get hissy about it you'll be fine; some will talk about sports, many won't. Many are sports-illiterate - you will not feel uncomfortable.

I mean, on game day, people are going to tailgate and go to the game - it's a social occasion: you're not there for the 'game' inasmuch as you're there for the social interaction with your fellow 1Ls. You don't need to know 'the rules' just cheer when we score, and that's as interested as you'd ever need to be.

You'll be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”