Notre Dame 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ndirish2010

Gold

Notre Dame 1L taking questions

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:42 am

Figured I would start one of these threads, TLS helped me out a lot last year so if anyone has any questions please post them here.

tooswolle

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame 1L taking questions

Post by tooswolle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:57 am

Thanks for taking the time to help. I have a few questions: 1. How many firms show up to OCI? 2. How much does ND appreciate diversity? Do you happen to know if they engage in a holistic review of the applicant? 3. What would you say the chances are of landing a clerkship, big law or mid law from ND? Thanks in advance for your help!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 am

As a 1L, I'm not too familiar with exactly how many or which firms were at OCI in the fall. For 1Ls, OCI is not much of anything and landing a summer job has been challenging so far, though I'm sure something will come through in the end (and I'm a decent amount above the median). If I find out any more about what OCI was like this year I will pass it on here. I would say to be competitive for a federal clerkship here you are going to need to be at least in the top 20-25%, probably the same for BigLaw. Chances are certainly better in Chicago than any place else, but as everyone knows the market is pretty tough with a lot of T14s and T30s competing. We do have quite a few alums at Chicago firms though. They say the second highest concentration is out west, so my advice would be if you're looking to head back to the East Coast that ND might not be the best option unless you are in the top 10%. MidLaw chances are pretty strong I would say for anyone above the median at least, especially in the Midwest where our alumni network is the strongest.

I do think ND takes a more holistic view of applicants than most schools. I went here undergrad and I love this place more than anything, so I may be a bit biased, but they seem to really take into account things like service. Your 'Why ND' essay is pretty important as well. About diversity, while I can't claim that we're a very diverse school (either undergrad or NDLS), I think the admissions office certainly appreciates it and I don't think anyone feels out of place (though if you are someone who needs a diverse student body, then you should probably look elsewhere). Also, if you're particularly bothered by a religious atmosphere, then I don't think this is the place for you, but in all honesty I am not religious at all and I have been here for almost four years now and haven't regretted it at all.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:54 am

Thanks for the info man, I'm from California and have heard ND has good ties here is that true? Anyways I'm a catholic so religion wouldn't bother me at all, that being said I'd like to see other urms there. Does NDLS have a decent concentration of us there? Lastly, how competitive is joining moot court or law review? How about the legal clinics? Ideally I'd like to engage in some of those activities if I were accepted. Anyways thanks again for your help.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

ND certainly has ties in California, we have sent about 1/6th of our class back to the West Coast every year recently...but at the same time if you get into a T30 back in California and that's where you want to stay, I would advise choosing those schools over ND (of course depending on money).

There are a decent amount of URMs, you wouldn't feel left out, but it is not as diverse as other schools of similar ranking.

With Law Review, you need to be about the top 10-12% to grade on and then there are a few more write on spots. I don't believe there are any 1Ls on Moot Court, competition for that starts after our oral arguments near Spring Break, I assume that it will be fairly competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for taking questions. So being in law school, did you have time to still attend football games last Fall?

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi, thank you for taking questions. I´d like to hear your thoughts on the year-long London program. How competitive is its admission? Is it really interesting as they say or just the useless have-an-experience-in-international-law bullshit? I mean, have its graduates been able to secure a job locally? etc.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:57 pm

IamAskier wrote:Thanks for taking questions. So being in law school, did you have time to still attend football games last Fall?
Yes, I went to every one just as I did in undergrad, and even spent most of Saturday watching other games as well. I rarely did much work on Saturdays, which of course made Sundays not the most fun days in the world but to me it was worth it. College football is one of my favorite things and if I did not have it life would be much worse when combined with the stresses of law school.
The Kid wrote:Hi, thank you for taking questions. I´d like to hear your thoughts on the year-long London program. How competitive is its admission? Is it really interesting as they say or just the useless have-an-experience-in-international-law bullshit? I mean, have its graduates been able to secure a job locally? etc.
I'm sorry that I really don't have too much input on London...I never wanted to study abroad in undergrad and I still don't, so I had no interest in it when I applied. As for placement over there, I think people seem to be able to find jobs but I'm not sure how many people get them or what kind of jobs they are. Also not really sure about competition.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm

IamAskier wrote:Thanks for taking questions. So being in law school, did you have time to still attend football games last Fall?
whoops. too late.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Bump this back to the first page.

kga9

New

Post by kga9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:33 am

I've recently learned of my acceptance to NDLS and am really excited as I've been wanting to experience something other than California for awhile now. I'm interested in possibly pursuing military law or working for the US Attorneys Office post law school. Does the school have decent placement in these areas? Also, what is job placement like for the DC region?

Thanks for your help!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 am

If you are looking at USAO's in competitive districts, it's going to be pretty difficult from here I would think. I'm not sure of the actual numbers. I'm assuming you want something in/around DC and that might be tough to get to. We don't send very many of our class to DC overall (though it's listed as our fifth biggest market), you would probably have to aim for top 5-10%. Though if you have some connections to the market that might help a bit (not sure how USAO recruiting works that well either...I know that one of the ASUA's from the Northern District of Indiana (an NDLS alum) was recently here and they hire a decent amount from us, but that would require staying in South Bend of course.

As far as military goes, I know that Marines, Navy, and Air Force JAG are interviewing on campus over the next few weeks (all class levels too), but not sure how many people actually end up doing it.

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for starting this thread and answering our questions, it is greatly appreciated.

1. Did you find the atmosphere overly competitive or was there a spirit of cooperation and a willingness to help each other out?

2. Was there anything you wish you had known at the beginning of the semester that would have made life a little easier?

3. Do you know anyone who lived in the apartments on campus for married people with kids? Did they like the building?

4. Are intramural sports popular with the law students?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks again for your help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Trip Coker wrote:Thanks for starting this thread and answering our questions, it is greatly appreciated.

1. Did you find the atmosphere overly competitive or was there a spirit of cooperation and a willingness to help each other out?

2. Was there anything you wish you had known at the beginning of the semester that would have made life a little easier?

3. Do you know anyone who lived in the apartments on campus for married people with kids? Did they like the building?

4. Are intramural sports popular with the law students?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks again for your help.
1. It is not competitive really at all, people generally help people, there are a lot of study groups, and the class is very friendly contrary to many of the stereotypes about law school. I think the fact that we don't rank really does help, though people are obviously still conscious about where they are in the class ITE.

2. I can't really think of anything now, I think the months of reading TLS really helped me figure out what to expect, but as the weeks first semester went by I got much better at pulling out what I needed from a case.

3. I've heard good things about University Village, the problem is that it is not really 'on campus' per se, it is north of the road that is considered the northern boundary of the campus, though obviously Notre Dame still owns the land and it is still in our zip code. Considering the law school is in the South-Central part of campus and University Village is in the far NW, it is a long walk (half hour?) to get to the law school.

4. They aren't nearly as popular as they are with undergrads (we have one of the best intramural programs in the country for undergrads, including the only tackle football intramural program outside the academies), but a fair number of students play. There were two law school intramural baseball teams in the fall, one made up of almost all 1Ls and one split between 2Ls and 3Ls.

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I really appreciate the information.

elduderino330

New

Post by elduderino330 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I was accepted to NDLS a few weeks ago and have some decently specific questions.

1. I play varsity tennis in college right now, so I'm curious about the possibility of continuing to play recreationally/semi-competitively at ND. Are people who aren't on varsity allowed to use both outdoor and indoor tennis facilities? Do you have any idea what court availability is like? What about whether or not people from undergrad/the law school play? Obviously there's a chance that you don't know anything about this stuff but I figured since you're a double domer you might have some insight for me.

2. I know you addressed this a little in an earlier post, but I'm interested in the dynamic between religion and the teaching at the school. I grew up Catholic but now consider myself to be an atheist, so I was wondering if you could just talk a little bit more about the role that religion plays both among the students and in the classroom. I don't mind going to a school where a lot of people are religious or anything like that, but I'm wondering how much the Catholic identity influences the teaching at the school. It seems obvious that for the courses with religious things in the title that Catholic doctrine probably plays a large role, but in general do you think the legal education is combined with religious doctrine?

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Oh my.
Last edited by teleste on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 am

elduderino330 wrote:I was accepted to NDLS a few weeks ago and have some decently specific questions.

1. I play varsity tennis in college right now, so I'm curious about the possibility of continuing to play recreationally/semi-competitively at ND. Are people who aren't on varsity allowed to use both outdoor and indoor tennis facilities? Do you have any idea what court availability is like? What about whether or not people from undergrad/the law school play? Obviously there's a chance that you don't know anything about this stuff but I figured since you're a double domer you might have some insight for me.

2. I know you addressed this a little in an earlier post, but I'm interested in the dynamic between religion and the teaching at the school. I grew up Catholic but now consider myself to be an atheist, so I was wondering if you could just talk a little bit more about the role that religion plays both among the students and in the classroom. I don't mind going to a school where a lot of people are religious or anything like that, but I'm wondering how much the Catholic identity influences the teaching at the school. It seems obvious that for the courses with religious things in the title that Catholic doctrine probably plays a large role, but in general do you think the legal education is combined with religious doctrine?

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.
1. I'm not really sure about the tennis, but I can give you a link that might help you. Somehow, I've never known anyone that played, and I have never tried to use the courts. --LinkRemoved--

2. Religion doesn't play a role really at all in the first year courses, except that some professors do the sign of the cross before class and there is a crucifix in every classroom... and perhaps there are more discussions of ethics than at other schools, but I am not even sure about that. I'm not religious at all, and I've been here for four years and never had a problem with the religious environment. I think it makes us distinctive, which I actually like despite the fact I've never really participated in it. I don't believe the religious aspect should be a huge part of the decision making process, unless it is positive for you.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am

teleste wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Trip Coker wrote: 4. They aren't nearly as popular as they are with undergrads (we have one of the best intramural programs in the country for undergrads, including the only tackle football intramural program outside the academies), but a fair number of students play. There were two law school intramural baseball teams in the fall, one made up of almost all 1Ls and one split between 2Ls and 3Ls.
Notre Dame and the academies aren't the ONLY schools with intramural tackle football. I know BYU-Idaho has is it for sure (link below) and I imagine other places do as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO0wPJtn-0

Any which way, can law student participate in any of the intramural sports?
That's interesting, I'd heard here a few years ago that we were the only non-academy. Sorry if that was a bit of mis-information, but we are one of the few.

The regular intramural program is UG only because it is divided up by residence hall, but there are intramural opportunities for law students.

elduderino330

New

Post by elduderino330 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm

That's more or less what I figured. Thanks for your help.

elduderino330

New

Post by elduderino330 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:05 pm

How attractive are the girls at NDLS? Obviously not a sticking point, but I'm definitely curious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:4. They aren't nearly as popular as they are with undergrads (we have one of the best intramural programs in the country for undergrads, including the only tackle football intramural program outside the academies), but a fair number of students play.
West Point (at least when I attended, which was a few years ago now) actually eliminated tackle intramural football. Too many injuries. They do have rugby, though.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:47 pm

elduderino330 wrote:How attractive are the girls at NDLS? Obviously not a sticking point, but I'm definitely curious.
Haha, I would imagine not much different than at any T25. I'm not really looking, as I'm in a relationship with a non-law student, but it's not anything ridiculous on either side of the spectrum.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 am

How do you like living in South Bend and how did it match your expectations?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 am

jwmalone87 wrote:How do you like living in South Bend and how did it match your expectations?
I'm a double Domer, so I've been here a while. I'll be honest, I hated it when I first came here, but now I consider it my second home. The weather sucks, yes, but there is enough around here to make up for that. I think Notre Dame athletics and just the campus life in general offers so much that you forget that you're living kind of in the middle of nowhere. Plus, the new developments around here, specifically Eddy Street Commons, have made the area around our campus have more of a 'college-town' type feel. I suggest you visit, but despite what you might hear on these boards I think South Bend is a pretty decent place to live.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”