Syracuse Students

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
northwood

Syracuse Students

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Anyone out there currently a SUCOL student? How are your expereinces so far? I have talked to a bunch of admissions people, but really want to get an actual law school students perspective about SU. Would you do it again? How is the general atmostphere? How harsh is the curve? Job prospects, overalll feel of the school? Any suggestions about living situtations? How about need based grants for 2L and 3L- do they match your 1L offer, or do you have to figure out a way to pay for that as a 2L and 3L? feel free to pm me if youd like. thanks in advance.

noleknight16

Re: Syracuse Students

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm also curious. I expect to get into SUCOL with a good scholly. Highly considering it.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 pm

wtf? Syracuse students should answer some questions, I'm really leaning towards cuse but would like more info for sure.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am

SUCOL student here. Fire away.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:45 am

Cuse student here too.

Ask questions one at a time.

alba0321

Postby alba0321 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

cuseindahouse wrote:Cuse student here too.

Hey,

I am considering Syracuse as I was recently accepted with scholarship ($33k/year). Is it true about the Syracuse name outweighing its ranking? Are job placements mainly regional?

Also, what is housing/transportation like?

What do you like most/least about the school, area, etc.?

Thanks!

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm

alba0321 wrote:

Hey,

I am considering Syracuse as I was recently accepted with scholarship ($33k/year). Is it true about the Syracuse name outweighing its ranking? Are job placements mainly regional?

Thanks!

First, congrats on the scholarship. What do you have to maintain to keep it?

I do think the Cuse name outweighs its ranking. Everyone knows about Syracuse (thank you Coach Boeheim). In terms of job placements, I'm not sure. Cuse alumni are fairly present all over the country and are generally pretty willing to help out students if they can. I am a 1L so I'm not too sure about the job situation 3Ls are going through, but I have a job in a large midwestern city working for the prosecutor this summer so at least from the 1L summer standpoint, I don't see Cuse as a regional school. I got the job by working the Cuse connection and had a great interview. From a regional standpoint, Cuse obviously dominates Syracuse but I'm not sure about the rest of the state. Keep on me and I'll let you know as I hear more.

I live off campus in a tough area and I know a lot of Syracuse is struggling economically. However, there are some very nice housing set ups here that cost a bit more. Or you can live downtown, which has some nice places. I walk to school but parking is pretty accessible I know.

What do I like:

1. My fellow 1Ls are great people who have their priorities in line.
2. I have loved my professors so far and they are extremely talented people.
3. I love basketball and there aren't many hoops schools like Syracuse. And our football team is going to be good again.
4. The cost of living isn't bad. Campus is also very pretty.

What I don't like:

1. Villanova and Pitt hoops.
2. The crime in the area
3. I wish the Dean would be more present in the school.
4. I'd say snow, but I love winter, so I don't mind it. But most people hate the snow...and you will get a lot of it.

Fire away if anyone has more questions.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:57 pm

syracuse is within my final 3 ( the others are UB,and PITT). I am a local kid, who knows that ill be either living in pittsburgh, or western ny. I dont want to live anywhere else ( pittsburgh is the one "semi large' city that i could live in). I know western ny is in an economic downtrun, and know that nystate govt is in shambles. THat being said, i would like to be a prosecutor, or work in educational/ diability law. How well is their dual degree program? How hard is it to maintain a 2.8 gpa? ( thats the stipulation for my 30k scholly). How difficult was it to get a 1L summer apprenticeship? any suggstions?
Would you pick SU over UB and PITT? why?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:00 pm

I would definitely go to Pitt over SU unless SU was free and Pitt was sticker. Pitt dominates a decent market, SU's market sucks.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:02 pm

pitt is sticker, su is with a 30k year scholly as long as i keep a 2.8
its a toss up, because i really like western ny, but i also really like pittsburgh.
Cuse at sticker ( if i lose the scholly) would be a deal breaker. I am very debt averse, but i dont want the extra pressure of having to maintain a great gpa to make su financially worthwile

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:05 pm

northwood wrote:syracuse is within my final 3 ( the others are UB,and PITT). I am a local kid, who knows that ill be either living in pittsburgh, or western ny. I dont want to live anywhere else ( pittsburgh is the one "semi large' city that i could live in). I know western ny is in an economic downtrun, and know that nystate govt is in shambles. THat being said, i would like to be a prosecutor, or work in educational/ diability law. How well is their dual degree program? How hard is it to maintain a 2.8 gpa? ( thats the stipulation for my 30k scholly). How difficult was it to get a 1L summer apprenticeship? any suggstions?
Would you pick SU over UB and PITT? why?

I was in a similar situation as you, in at Pitt for sticker and 25k at Syracuse. So economically, it was a question of whether or not Pitt was worth a whole lot more money.

I know the dual degree programs are really well respected but I'm not too familiar beyond that. Western NY has been in an economic downturn for a while but talking to a professor the other day, he mentioned how firms up here didn't over expand like a lot of the strip mall cities (sun belt cities). A 2.8 GPA is pretty easy to maintain, IMOP. I think it is about 60th percentile.

For me to get my summer job, I worked the Cuse network in the city I'll be working in and had a number of bites (2 offers, one at a firm and one for the prosecutor, both paid.)

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:07 pm

northwood wrote:pitt is sticker, su is with a 30k year scholly as long as i keep a 2.8
its a toss up, because i really like western ny, but i also really like pittsburgh.
Cuse at sticker ( if i lose the scholly) would be a deal breaker. I am very debt averse, but i dont want the extra pressure of having to maintain a great gpa to make su financially worthwile

So Pitt would cost you a lot more over 3 years? Just like the decision I made, which really wasn't too hard. Except for the fact that Pitt is a great city.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Northwood,

Ive also applied to Pitt and am local (rochester). If you have spent time in cuse and pitt which is seems you have, you must know how much nicer Pittsburgh is as a city. It seems to be the case that Pitt offers better job prospects, but what do I know really. If I was you, I would go to pitt, but I am biased because I dont really care for syracuse as a city and couldnt really see myself being extremely happy in that city.

On the other hand, I do know a cuse grad who seemed to love it. I do believe that she had some trouble finding a job though. But she speaks very highly of the school in general.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 pm

pitt 3 years- 51k= 153 thousand
SU 3 years keep the schoolly 90k
Su 3 years lose scholly( after 1L) 150 thousand

I am from syracuse's burbs, so i know how bad the market ( and weather) is. Thats why i havent sent in my seat deposit. I also got into UB, but with instate tuition- so its not really a big factor. I know I have some time to figure it out, but in the end, this is a business decision for me, and i want to be able to put myself in the best position- prospect wise and financially. I know pitt placces very strong in the city, and is a big name regional school ( like syracuse). Its going to be a tough one!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Your new tar brings in a new factor and one that has seriously influenced me. I am a die hard met fan and cannot wait to be in a city with NL Baseball. 11 bleacher seats in the burgh. Cant beat that.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Keep in mind that both cities have unemployment rates below the national rate.

You probably think at first glance that Raleigh, Tampa, ect have a better economy than places like Pitt and Cuse, but it really isn't the case.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Looks like you could get a job in Tampa based on the fact that the Cuse at USF game looks like it is about 75% Cuse fans. Prolly a few attys in there.

alba0321

Postby alba0321 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:47 pm

cuseindahouse wrote:
alba0321 wrote:

Hey,

Thanks!

I do think the Cuse name outweighs its ranking. Everyone knows about Syracuse (thank you Coach Boeheim). In terms of job placements, I'm not sure. Cuse alumni are fairly present all over the country and are generally pretty willing to help out students if they can. I am a 1L so I'm not too sure about the job situation 3Ls are going through, but I have a job in a large midwestern city working for the prosecutor this summer so at least from the 1L summer standpoint, I don't see Cuse as a regional school. I got the job by working the Cuse connection and had a great interview. From a regional standpoint, Cuse obviously dominates Syracuse but I'm not sure about the rest of the state. Keep on me and I'll let you know as I hear more.

I live off campus in a tough area and I know a lot of Syracuse is struggling economically. However, there are some very nice housing set ups here that cost a bit more. Or you can live downtown, which has some nice places. I walk to school but parking is pretty accessible I know.

What do I like:

3. I love basketball and there aren't many hoops schools like Syracuse. And our football team is going to be good again.

What I don't like:

2. The crime in the area
4. I'd say snow, but I love winter, so I don't mind it. But most people hate the snow...and you will get a lot of it.

Renewable scholarship contingent upon 3.0 GPA...do you think this is realistic? I would hate to lose it and end up paying sticker!

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:50 pm

alba0321 wrote:
cuseindahouse wrote:
alba0321 wrote:

Hey,

Thanks!

What do I like:

What I don't like:

2. The crime in the area

Renewable scholarship contingent upon 3.0 GPA...do you think this is realistic? I would hate to lose it and end up paying sticker!

I mean, yes, it is renewable. I think a 3.0 is about the 40th percentile.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Is the area really as bad as people say it is? I've lived in Tempe, AZ past few years (going to ASU) and it isn't the nicest area. However, the immediate vicinity around ASU is gorgeous, it's almost deceiving if that's the only area of Tempe you've seen. Is Syracuse like this? I'm fine if it is considering I'd probably be spending most of my time there because of all the studying I'd be doing.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

irish017 wrote:SUCOL student here. Fire away.

What was up with the back to back losses to Marquette and fucking Seton Hall? Pitt and 'nova I understand, but damn.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

nshapkar wrote:Is the area really as bad as people say it is? I've lived in Tempe, AZ past few years (going to ASU) and it isn't the nicest area. However, the immediate vicinity around ASU is gorgeous, it's almost deceiving if that's the only area of Tempe you've seen. Is Syracuse like this? I'm fine if it is considering I'd probably be spending most of my time there because of all the studying I'd be doing.

It depends. It snows a ton and is cold a lot. The area is beautiful though and I don't mind it.

kartal

Postby kartal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 am

When I was checking the SUCOL academic calendar from their website, I noticed that they have scheduled dates for both mid-terms and finals in both Fall and Spring semesters. I thought that there was no mid-term in law schools. What is up with Syracuse? Are they different in this sense? Syracuse students, please chip in.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”