Georgetown 3L twiddling thumbs 'til graduation: questions? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
johndhi

Bronze

Re: Georgetown 3L twiddling thumbs 'til graduation: questions?

Post by johndhi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Marionberry wrote:Also, does anyone have any knowledge of PI or other opportunities related to drug policy? That's really my biggest area of interest, though I know that it may be slim pickins when it comes to opportunities for law students or recent LS graduates.
There's actually a strong and well-organized drug policy student organization on campus that I'm sure could help you with this once you're here. They did some phone banking and stuff for Prop 19 in California last semester. I know a friend had an interview with the DEA recently, but I don't have any other specific suggestions beyond that.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 pm

johndhi wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Also, does anyone have any knowledge of PI or other opportunities related to drug policy? That's really my biggest area of interest, though I know that it may be slim pickins when it comes to opportunities for law students or recent LS graduates.
There's actually a strong and well-organized drug policy student organization on campus that I'm sure could help you with this once you're here. They did some phone banking and stuff for Prop 19 in California last semester. I know a friend had an interview with the DEA recently, but I don't have any other specific suggestions beyond that.
Awesome, do you know the name of the org?

GraniteState

New

Post by GraniteState » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Any tips on negotiating for merit aid? Who should I contact, and should I call or email? Dean Cornblatt half-joked at ASW that admitted students could call him personally, is that a good idea?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Marionberry wrote:well, for the first year at least, I'm willing to pay more to be close to the school. I just found those, and had been looking at the 425 Mass apartments. Any opinion between the two of them?
425 Mass is amazingly nice: a few of my 3L friends live there and I went on a tour when some other friends were looking - incredible amenities and a roof deck to die for. But, OMG, EXPENSIVE. I don't know how anyone affords it.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

GraniteState wrote:Any tips on negotiating for merit aid? Who should I contact, and should I call or email? Dean Cornblatt half-joked at ASW that admitted students could call him personally, is that a good idea?
I would essentially use offers at "peer schools" (that's the term admissions offices seem to use) to leverage money out of the school. Once I was accepted off the waitlist, I told them that I wouldn't be able to attend unless they matched my offer at Cornell. They actually beat the Cornell offer, but made it a need based grant. They have since converted portions of the grant to merit based scholarships, and also reduced some of the grant based on my SA earnings. I remember seeing a good thread about negotiating offers if you search for it, the advice is usually applicable to Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vandy, and Texas at this point, and have not heard about money from any of them.

From what you know now, how would you rank GULC among the following in terms of job prospects, etc. I am choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Texas at this point, and am anticipating sticker at Penn, a small schollie at Cornell/GULC, and pretty good money at Vandy and Texas..

In terms of lifestyle, Texas is my number one choice. I have wanted to live in Austin for a long time and attend UT for its sports, music scene, etc, but I also like DC a lot - though I've never spent more than a weekend there at a time.

As far as careers go, I am interested in west coast, Austin, Nashville, DC, Boston, New Orleans, and I think I'd be okay with other Texas cities for a while (maybe a long time; haven't spent much time there), as well as Atlanta, Chicago, and Miami. Not too interested in NYCIdeally, I'd like to go into environmental/energy/land use/immigration/human rights law (not interested in litigating on behalf of a major polluter, abuser of human rights, etc) but am keeping an open mind toward big law for its career opportunities down the line. I might also be interested in a clerkship or government positions, with DOJ for example.

Any words of wisdom?

I doubt you'll have much to say about this aside from details of your experience with GULC, which you've already provided, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 pm

whitman wrote:I'm choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vandy, and Texas at this point, and have not heard about money from any of them.

From what you know now, how would you rank GULC among the following in terms of job prospects, etc. I am choosing between Penn, Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Texas at this point, and am anticipating sticker at Penn, a small schollie at Cornell/GULC, and pretty good money at Vandy and Texas..

In terms of lifestyle, Texas is my number one choice. I have wanted to live in Austin for a long time and attend UT for its sports, music scene, etc, but I also like DC a lot - though I've never spent more than a weekend there at a time.

As far as careers go, I am interested in west coast, Austin, Nashville, DC, Boston, New Orleans, and I think I'd be okay with other Texas cities for a while (maybe a long time; haven't spent much time there), as well as Atlanta, Chicago, and Miami. Not too interested in NYCIdeally, I'd like to go into environmental/energy/land use/immigration/human rights law (not interested in litigating on behalf of a major polluter, abuser of human rights, etc) but am keeping an open mind toward big law for its career opportunities down the line. I might also be interested in a clerkship or government positions, with DOJ for example.

Any words of wisdom?

I doubt you'll have much to say about this aside from details of your experience with GULC, which you've already provided, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks.
I think the biggest difference between these schools is going to be where they place rather than whether they place. People in this site tend to make more of a difference than exists in terms of placement power between the schools you mentioned. I think that most of the difference has to do with self-selection of the students (e.g., many more Georgetown students go to government jobs than other schools mentioned, naturally). I think before you decide on the school, you need to determine what your preference for careers is now, and also how likely that is to change. Once you decide those things you can narrow down your choices and consider money offered.

I think Georgetown has an advantage in some areas of placement, such as Government. If you want to break into the DC market I think your chances are significantly improved with Penn or Georgetown. If you want Texas, then Texas. Cornell really shouldn't be in the calculus, because Penn places at least as well and gives you more market options (unless Cornell throws a big chunk of money your way). I think the other advantage Georgetown has, and I've mentioned this a few times in this thread, is that it has a huge diversity of strong programs. So if you're not really sure what you want to do after school (which seems to be true in your case since you mentioned such a variety of fields/practice types) you can make sure you keep those options open. Also, I think the large class at Georgetown gives the school more geographic diversity in placement.

This perceived flexibility of Georgetown definitely helped me choose it over Cornell and Vandy because, like you it seems, I wasn't sure what I wanted out of law school. In the end, I'm going to a Firm in NY, so I probably could have gotten there going to any of those schools... Good luck choosing!

Annie09

New

Post by Annie09 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm looking into MassCourt, maybe getting a one- or two-bedroom with den/sunroom and then squeezing two or three people (respectively) in. Have you heard anything about that building? I just want to be close (walking distance no more than 15-20 min), but I also want to try and stay in the allotted Gtown budget for housing ($1100 for rent, plus $160 for utilities).

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:27 am

Annie09 wrote:I'm looking into MassCourt, maybe getting a one- or two-bedroom with den/sunroom and then squeezing two or three people (respectively) in. Have you heard anything about that building? I just want to be close (walking distance no more than 15-20 min), but I also want to try and stay in the allotted Gtown budget for housing ($1100 for rent, plus $160 for utilities).
I've had quite a few friends living in Mass Court. It has a great pool and hot tub on the roof with a view of the Capitol, but no you will not stay within budget staying there. It's better to have friends with a place there and then to live in a row house on Cap Hill for a much more reasonable price. Plenty of people from school live in there and it's only 10 - 20 minutes walk to school depending where you find a place. You can find pretty good deals through craigslist, and because there is so much movement in the rental market in DC, it's not hard to find a place even at the last minute.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Can anyone speak to the level of competition for the Criminal Defense clinic, or the Criminal Justice clinic? I realize that all the clinics are probably kind of competitive, but I figure some of them are probably more so than others.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:08 pm

So if all of your friends are going into biglaw are unhappy, this implies that your other friends are doing something else and are happy about it. What is that something else?

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 am

tagging this

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 am

whitman wrote:So if all of your friends are going into biglaw are unhappy, this implies that your other friends are doing something else and are happy about it. What is that something else?
Are you asking me? Did I say my biglaw friends were unhappy? I have friends doing DOJ Honors and they seem pretty happy about that. Others are doing clerkships and other government jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

karovda

New

Post by karovda » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 pm

tagged

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:29 pm

For anyone who is attending Georgetown at or near sticker price, did you turn down any money at GW when you were making your choice? Do you feel, so far, that it has been worth it?

And for anyone who has any info on this... how does Georgetown's LRAP compare to GW's?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
whitman wrote:So if all of your friends are going into biglaw are unhappy, this implies that your other friends are doing something else and are happy about it. What is that something else?
Are you asking me? Did I say my biglaw friends were unhappy? I have friends doing DOJ Honors and they seem pretty happy about that. Others are doing clerkships and other government jobs.
Wow, not sure where I got that from. I know I read that somewhere, but I must have mixed up threads. Thanks for the info.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:17 pm

whitman wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:
Wow, not sure where I got that from. I know I read that somewhere, but I must have mixed up threads. Thanks for the info.
Ha, no worries. Of course there is plenty of discontent with Biglaw jobs, and I don't think anyone really knows whetehr they'll like it until they start working at a firm permanently. I would add that I'm going to Biglaw and I'm pretty happy about it, although I definitely wasn't sure I would want to do that when I started school. I don't think that many people come to Georgetown to go into Biglaw. At least among Section 3 students there's a definite feeling that the Biglaw bound students are "selling out." I remember on the first day of law school I was one of three students of the 116 person section who raised their hands when the a professor asked if we were even considering law firm jobs. There are a bunch of factors that lead more students down that path of Biglaw, I think ease of the hiring path and the salary are of course the largest of those. For me it also seemed like a necessary step in my career path.

I actually think that this is one of the reasons Georgetown lags behind other schools in terms of total percentage hired into Biglaw. If you want to go to a firm, and you know that, you might as well go to Ithaca or Durham. The firms will pay for your travel to interviews and I'm sure the ivy prestige helps with certain Biglaw types... If you want government jobs (the ones HLS YLS don't entirely dominate) it helps a lot to be closer to the source for internships and interviews. Networking is a lot more important in securing government and PI jobs, I think. Most people I've talked to originally came to Georgetown for those opportunities rather than the ability of the school to "place" them into a firm. Of course, it is nice that if you decide to go to a firm, as I did, the school can help place a good percentage into big firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
GraniteState wrote:Any tips on negotiating for merit aid? Who should I contact, and should I call or email? Dean Cornblatt half-joked at ASW that admitted students could call him personally, is that a good idea?
I would essentially use offers at "peer schools" (that's the term admissions offices seem to use) to leverage money out of the school. Once I was accepted off the waitlist, I told them that I wouldn't be able to attend unless they matched my offer at Cornell. They actually beat the Cornell offer, but made it a need based grant. They have since converted portions of the grant to merit based scholarships, and also reduced some of the grant based on my SA earnings. I remember seeing a good thread about negotiating offers if you search for it, the advice is usually applicable to Georgetown.
Whoa really? I got a great offer from Cornell and I thought there was no chance Georgetown would even approach it

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

sonervous88 wrote:Whoa really? I got a great offer from Cornell and I thought there was no chance Georgetown would even approach it
My information is obviously a bit outdated, since I was negotiating in 2008. I'm not sure if they can match a cornell offer today. Cornell is/was ~5k more expensive for tuition, so that cuts into any package they offer (Cost of living in D.C. might make up for the difference, however). It can't really hurt you to ask for money. I've always been shocked at the number of people who just accept any offer the school gives you. Part of this, I imagine, is this notion of a dream school, or a "perfect fit." That's just crap colleges try to sell your parents on. When it comes to law schools, always ask for money.

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
kcdc wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
kcdc wrote:I'm applying to 3 part-time programs in DC (guess which), and Georgetown is my first choice. My GPA is very low for GULC, so low that I wouldn't even think I had a shot, except for Georgetown's claim that they look for "interesting people" and that it's "not all about the numbers".

Do you find these claims to be true?

I go to GULC and my UGPA is fucking terrible.

How bad are we talking here>
3.1, 168 LSAT, applied ED to PT program last week. Engineering major, solid undergrad extracurricular experience (won student leadership award senior year), very solid work experience since graduation 2 years ago. Compelling personal statement with insinuations that I've overcame a lot of adversity.

Half of me is embarrassed for even applying, the other half thinks I have a decent shot. I can't stop arguing with myself.

I think you have absolutely have a real shot, definitely should not be embarrassed for applying.

Good luck!

what about 153/3.73 with really strong softs?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 am

bbermud wrote:what about 153/3.73 with really strong softs?
URM?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 am

naterj wrote:
URM?

hispanic-colombian.

got me placed on hold an northwestern.

happyfeet

New

Post by happyfeet » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 am

tagged

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm

bbermud wrote:
naterj wrote:
URM?

hispanic-colombian.

got me placed on hold an northwestern.
I know very little about URM admissions, to be honest. I feel like they vary significantly from school to school depending on the perceived need to increase diversity. There is a forum on this site that I bet would answer your question far better than I could. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll end up at a good school (hopefully Georgetown)!

runrunrun

New

Post by runrunrun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:19 pm

What do you think of the Public Interest LRAP? It seems absolutely great - and honestly, it is the one thing that might have me pick Georgetown over a much less well-known, free alternative (USD) because I don't want to enter a public interest career with a long debt battle.

I am fully committed to PI, but what are the chances, in your opinion, that somehow during the 10 years I'm hoping to receive LRAP and then get my debt discharged by the government that something happens in between and either the Public Service IBR scheme or Georgetown's LRAP gets repealed and I fall through the cracks and end up paying around $100,000 I was hoping to avoid?

Fact or opinion would be much appreciated :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”