George Mason - Arlington, VA Question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
voice of reason

Re: George Mason - Arlington, VA Question

Postby voice of reason » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm

ran12 wrote:
gdane wrote:Give me three reasons why GMU is better than AU WCL other than cost.

1. Closer to downtown DC so better networking opportunities and easier to do academic year internships. Plus, you get more of the real DC experience.

They're both just a few miles from downtown DC. The relevant difference is that GMU is near the Metro station and AU WCL is not.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm

hey - as a local non-law student, can I use the GMU library? their website says I can "for legal research only." I guess I can lie but am wondering how strict.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Underground404 wrote:
1. How easy is it for an out-of-state student to establish residency in Virginia?

Someone may have answered this already because I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure in order to establish residency as a student you either need to have worked full time in VA for a certain amount of time (6 mos maybe), or own real estate, like a condo or something. I've heard it's almost impossible to establish residency if you haven't done one of those two things.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:hey - as a local non-law student, can I use the GMU library? their website says I can "for legal research only." I guess I can lie but am wondering how strict.

My friend and I used it last year when we were studying for the LSAT. We didn't have a problem getting in. It's a pretty nice library too.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon May 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Is there anyone who goes to school there who can talk a little bit more about the school, the professors, the atmosphere, the job prospects (particularly in IP law)? My friend has to make a decision ASAP whether to go there or wait a year and either defer so he can get in-state residency (he lives in DC now) or apply to other schools next year.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 am

democrattotheend wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:hey - as a local non-law student, can I use the GMU library? their website says I can "for legal research only." I guess I can lie but am wondering how strict.

My friend and I used it last year when we were studying for the LSAT. We didn't have a problem getting in. It's a pretty nice library too.

f that noise, I went and they dont even let guests have internet access.

The girl at the library desk asked if I was a law student and I said "no i opted to get a Master's instead" to which she responded "ugh. good for you." haha

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”