DU 1L taking questions about DU, Denver, whatever

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DULaw13

DU 1L taking questions about DU, Denver, whatever

Postby DULaw13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey,

I am a 1L who is bored out of my mind on break. I know that I found this board useful last year, so I wanted to make myself available to answer any questions that anyone has.

IamAskier

Re: DU 1L taking questions about DU, Denver, whatever

Postby IamAskier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks for taking questions. I applied to DU in November and hope to get in any day now.

I'm mainly interested in living costs and apartments. I'm not sure if you live around campus, but how expensive are places near the school? I go to the U of Utah in SLC, and I've really enjoyed the low rents (around $500-$600 a month for a decent 1 bedroom).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 pm

How do you like living in Denver? Do most of your classmates live in the city? How expensive is the COL? Does the $$ budgeted in the cost of attending for living expenses meet your needs?

Thanks.

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:31 pm

IamAskier wrote:Thanks for taking questions. I applied to DU in November and hope to get in any day now.

I'm mainly interested in living costs and apartments. I'm not sure if you live around campus, but how expensive are places near the school? I go to the U of Utah in SLC, and I've really enjoyed the low rents (around $500-$600 a month for a decent 1 bedroom).

I would say that the cost of living in Denver is affordable depending on where you come from. It is much lower than major cities on either coast. As far as rents in Denver it really all depends on where you want to live. If you live around campus a one bedroom place will run between $600-$900/month. If you go downtown you will pay a bit more, and like in most places if you are willing to commute from a more suburban location (lakewood, commerce city, aurora, green valley ranch, etc) then you will spend less.

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:How do you like living in Denver? Do most of your classmates live in the city? How expensive is the COL? Does the $$ budgeted in the cost of attending for living expenses meet your needs?

Thanks.

I am a native to Denver and therefore have a natural affinity for it. However, I would tell you that most people who come here from elsewhere wind up staying. Denver has that great mix of city amenities without all of the headaches of the east or west coast. Skiing is only an hour and a half away, we have relatively mild winters (despite what many may think) and the summers are hot but there is virtually no humidity. The city is vibrant and growing. As far as financial aid, that really depends on you. I think the COL that the school has is reasonable, but you could certainly blow through it with too much partying or extravagant living.

allah6969

Postby allah6969 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I was offered a very nice scholarship at Denver and am really interested in attending next year. I'm just wondering about job prospects. You may not know too many 3Ls, but have you been hearing whether or not they are having difficulties finding jobs? I've been told that DU has a great network within the city of Denver, which is where I'd like to end up living anyway. Also, do any 1Ls work or is that frowned upon?

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:56 pm

allah6969 wrote:I was offered a very nice scholarship at Denver and am really interested in attending next year. I'm just wondering about job prospects. You may not know too many 3Ls, but have you been hearing whether or not they are having difficulties finding jobs? I've been told that DU has a great network within the city of Denver, which is where I'd like to end up living anyway. Also, do any 1Ls work or is that frowned upon?

As far as the job market, it really depends on what you want to do. DU is very much a regional school so I would advise that if you choose DU then you should plan on staying in Denver. With that being said you have to realize that the majority of DU grads are not going to go to big law. Denver does not have that many "Big Law" firms and you are competing with students from all over the country that want to come to Denver. Still, if you are very competitive academically (top 10%) then you have a shot. I know several 2L's who received offers for this next summer at good firms, and a few 3L's who will be joining top firms. However, this is not the majority of people, and it is very competitive. The bulk of DU students will wind up at smaller firms, DA's office, PD's office, etc. There are also some who will go into Judicial Clerkship and others who continue on with further education.

My advice would be to decide if you want to stay in Denver and then develop a networking plan from the get go. If you get out and meet people you stand a far better chance of landing the job you want. Denver is still a relatively small legal community, and a couple of well placed contacts, combined with strong grades can take you far here. Also keep in mind that over 50% of all members of the Colorado Bar are DU grads, so the alumni network is strong.

allah6969

Postby allah6969 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 pm

DULaw13 wrote:
allah6969 wrote:I was offered a very nice scholarship at Denver and am really interested in attending next year. I'm just wondering about job prospects. You may not know too many 3Ls, but have you been hearing whether or not they are having difficulties finding jobs? I've been told that DU has a great network within the city of Denver, which is where I'd like to end up living anyway. Also, do any 1Ls work or is that frowned upon?

As far as the job market, it really depends on what you want to do. DU is very much a regional school so I would advise that if you choose DU then you should plan on staying in Denver. With that being said you have to realize that the majority of DU grads are not going to go to big law. Denver does not have that many "Big Law" firms and you are competing with students from all over the country that want to come to Denver. Still, if you are very competitive academically (top 10%) then you have a shot. I know several 2L's who received offers for this next summer at good firms, and a few 3L's who will be joining top firms. However, this is not the majority of people, and it is very competitive. The bulk of DU students will wind up at smaller firms, DA's office, PD's office, etc. There are also some who will go into Judicial Clerkship and others who continue on with further education.

My advice would be to decide if you want to stay in Denver and then develop a networking plan from the get go. If you get out and meet people you stand a far better chance of landing the job you want. Denver is still a relatively small legal community, and a couple of well placed contacts, combined with strong grades can take you far here. Also keep in mind that over 50% of all members of the Colorado Bar are DU grads, so the alumni network is strong.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm too interested in big law anyway. I wouldn't mind the paycheck, but don't want to work 90 hours a week. I'll let you know if I have other questions. Thanks again.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi!

I hope you're still taking questions... How do CU and DU alum compare in terms of getting a job in Colorado? Thanks!

allah6969

Postby allah6969 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:54 pm

DULaw13 wrote:Hey,

I am a 1L who is bored out of my mind on break. I know that I found this board useful last year, so I wanted to make myself available to answer any questions that anyone has.

Have you, or has anyone you know, successfully or unsuccessfully negotiated an increase in scholarship from DU? They offered me a nice scholarship, and I don't want to sound entitled. However, I am well above both medians and I would really like to go there. I still have cheaper options, though, and wondered if it was worth trying to get more out of them.

Thanks.

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 am

allah6969 wrote:

Have you, or has anyone you know, successfully or unsuccessfully negotiated an increase in scholarship from DU? They offered me a nice scholarship, and I don't want to sound entitled. However, I am well above both medians and I would really like to go there. I still have cheaper options, though, and wondered if it was worth trying to get more out of them.

Thanks.

I do not know anyone who has done this. That being said, it is always worth a shot. I would look more to the 75th percentile in comparing your numbers. Keep in mind that each class over the last few years has gotten smaller and the numbers more competitive. This is intentional on the part of the school and classes will continue to get smaller as long as the bar passage rate continues to increase. The school is very focused now on getting in those with higher lsats and diversity candidates with high lsats. If you fit into either of those categories then give it a try.

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:03 am

bananeez wrote:Hi!

I hope you're still taking questions... How do CU and DU alum compare in terms of getting a job in Colorado? Thanks!

I think you can find a lot of responses on this topic on these boards. My thoughts are that it really depends on what you want to do. CU is ranked significantly higher, but I don't think the job prospects are really all that different. If you are looking to big law, then you have a slim shot out of DU (top 5-10%) and only a bit better out of CU. One thing that is important to keep in mind is that DU graduates a lot more attorneys, and 50% of those practicing in Colorado are DU grads. The alumni network definitely helps. CU might be better outside of the Denver area, and might give you a slight edge inside Colorado, but not as big as the ranking discrepancy might make you believe.

allah6969

Postby allah6969 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm

DULaw13 wrote:
allah6969 wrote:

Thanks.

I do not know anyone who has done this. That being said, it is always worth a shot. I would look more to the 75th percentile in comparing your numbers. Keep in mind that each class over the last few years has gotten smaller and the numbers more competitive. This is intentional on the part of the school and classes will continue to get smaller as long as the bar passage rate continues to increase. The school is very focused now on getting in those with higher lsats and diversity candidates with high lsats. If you fit into either of those categories then give it a try.

Thanks. I meant to say that I was above both 75th percentiles. I'm sure I will give it a shot after I receive all my offers.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Can you make any comments on DU schollys having stipulations? I'm curious as to what they commonly are...

How tough is it to get parking in order to be able to drive to class? I currently live up by REI and would prefer to stay here (with SO) if I stay in Denver for LS.

Thanks for taking questions :)

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:29 pm

My scholly (and others that I've heard about) has a 3.0 stipulation, and I believe that DU is on a 3.0 curve. In addition, I've heard that if you're below median your first semester, you have second semester to get it back above.

There was another poster who said the dean stated that they spread scholly students equally among sections...

sounds reasonable/good.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Nevermind!! Got my acceptance today with a hefty scholly and info. Thanks :)

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Did everybody on here get a 3.0 stipulation for scholarships? That's what I got, and was told that 3.0 is the curve at DU.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:11 pm

How social are DU 1Ls?

Party'n mofos on the weekends? Bar Review? Third Thursdays? School sponsored drinking (I wish)? Friday night trips to snowboard and drink?

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

bananeez wrote:Did everybody on here get a 3.0 stipulation for scholarships? That's what I got, and was told that 3.0 is the curve at DU.

As far as I know, all scholarships are stipulated at 3.0. If you fall below this mark you do have a semester to make it up before they pull your funds. Yes the mandatory curve is 3.0 which makes the money sound great, but keep in mind that means that 50% of the class is below the curve. There are also many good students who come to DU without a scholarship, so the scholarship offer is no guarantee you will be in the top half of the class.

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Adrian Yale wrote:How social are DU 1Ls?

Party'n mofos on the weekends? Bar Review? Third Thursdays? School sponsored drinking (I wish)? Friday night trips to snowboard and drink?

I think DU is like most schools, there are those who party a lot, those who party a little, and the few who don't party at all. The school does third Thursdays and students organize a lot of other events via facebook. I am sure there is more than enough drinking and partying to get into if you look for it.

Adrian Yale

Postby Adrian Yale » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Can you give some info on what you like/dont like about the school?

Hopeful_Me

Postby Hopeful_Me » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi I don't know if you're still taking questions while you're in the process of getting back into the swing of things but I would really appreciate some advice. I just found out I got into DU today and after living in LA for the last 7 months, am seriously missing home. I am not aiming at the big firm job, I would like to be a child's advocate. Do you know how DU fares in the public interest market? Also, of course secondary, but important to me is attending a school that offers some like-minded folk. Do you have any idea how strong your NLG chapter/activist law students network is there?

DULaw13

Postby DULaw13 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 am

Hopeful_Me wrote:Hi I don't know if you're still taking questions while you're in the process of getting back into the swing of things but I would really appreciate some advice. I just found out I got into DU today and after living in LA for the last 7 months, am seriously missing home. I am not aiming at the big firm job, I would like to be a child's advocate. Do you know how DU fares in the public interest market? Also, of course secondary, but important to me is attending a school that offers some like-minded folk. Do you have any idea how strong your NLG chapter/activist law students network is there?

Hopeful,

First let me preface this by saying that I am not on a public interest track. However, I would say that if you are looking to work in public interests in Denver then DU is a good place to go (and not having big law aspirations is good as they are few and far between at DU). I know that our NLG Chapter puts on all kinds of events and they are fairly well attended. We also have other active student organizations with similar bends (Amnesty International, Diversity Advocates, and of course PILG). It seems that DU grads do well in getting public interest jobs (of course like anything else the top jobs are competitive and require good grades). Also keep in mind that DU has one of the oldest, largest, and best clinical programs in the country. This allows you to do actual legal work while in school (you are sworn in and represent real clients with the supervision of an attorney). Hope this helps.

Hopeful_Me

Postby Hopeful_Me » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 pm

DULaw13 wrote:
Hopeful_Me wrote:Hi I don't know if you're still taking questions while you're in the process of getting back into the swing of things but I would really appreciate some advice. I just found out I got into DU today and after living in LA for the last 7 months, am seriously missing home. I am not aiming at the big firm job, I would like to be a child's advocate. Do you know how DU fares in the public interest market? Also, of course secondary, but important to me is attending a school that offers some like-minded folk. Do you have any idea how strong your NLG chapter/activist law students network is there?

Hopeful,

First let me preface this by saying that I am not on a public interest track. However, I would say that if you are looking to work in public interests in Denver then DU is a good place to go (and not having big law aspirations is good as they are few and far between at DU). I know that our NLG Chapter puts on all kinds of events and they are fairly well attended. We also have other active student organizations with similar bends (Amnesty International, Diversity Advocates, and of course PILG). It seems that DU grads do well in getting public interest jobs (of course like anything else the top jobs are competitive and require good grades). Also keep in mind that DU has one of the oldest, largest, and best clinical programs in the country. This allows you to do actual legal work while in school (you are sworn in and represent real clients with the supervision of an attorney). Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your answer, this really clears things up a lot. I am a CO Native and would love to go back there, it's great to hear such nice feedback and with my recent scholarship offer, Denver is sounding more and more sweet! Thanks so much you rule!

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:15 pm

What do you think the true expected salary is for someone who is top 25 %? I know its impossible to accurately answer questions like that given all the variables, but what is your best guess?? I'm also wondering how competitive DU is vs CU in Denver and the rest of Colorado. Like top 50% at CU equal chances with top 25% at DU?

Also, how many were in your class? 250 or so?

Many thanks,

Mike

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”