Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby onionz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:07 am

Slow Your Roll wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.


No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.


What about only 12 credits (4 classes)? Would that look bad generally or for clerkship apps?


Way overthinking this. No one cares. Just do well in whatever you take.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

onionz wrote:
Slow Your Roll wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.


No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.


What about only 12 credits (4 classes)? Would that look bad generally or for clerkship apps?


Way overthinking this. No one cares. Just do well in whatever you take.

It doesn't matter for apps, but if you have a really light term you're going to have to make it up at some point. The people I know who had to cram 16-17 credits in per term 3L kind of hated life because the rest of us had 11-12 credits of easy class and were never on campus.
Also, Get your multi-draft writing requirements out of the way.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:It doesn't matter for apps, but if you have a really light term you're going to have to make it up at some point. The people I know who had to cram 16-17 credits in per term 3L kind of hated life because the rest of us had 11-12 credits of easy class and were never on campus.
Also, Get your multi-draft writing requirements out of the way.

I took 17 credits the last 3 semesters because there were so many classes I wanted to take. I had way more credits than I needed to graduate. :oops:

7777777
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 7777777 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Random: I feel it is weird to put your GPA on your LinkedIn profile.

Chrstgtr
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Chrstgtr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

I am taking a half day to go to Lolla and I want to know if I can stash my work clothes at school or if I have to go all the way home from downtown to change.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

I am taking a half day to go to Lolla and I want to know if I can stash my work clothes at school or if I have to go all the way home from downtown to change.

Since you keep the same locker your entire time at NU and the combo doesn't change, I don’t see why not.

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby moneyball026 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm

7777777 wrote:Random: I feel it is weird to put your GPA on your LinkedIn profile.

wait so recruiters from vault 10 firms arent patrolling linkedin looking for high GPA'd students to hire? my life has been a lie.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Chrstgtr wrote:Does anyone know if we can still use our lockers that were assigned to us at the beginning of the school year?

I am taking a half day to go to Lolla and I want to know if I can stash my work clothes at school or if I have to go all the way home from downtown to change.

Since you keep the same locker your entire time at NU and the combo doesn't change, I don’t see why not.

You can use your lockers during the summer.

mragsdale
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Housing Question

Postby mragsdale » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I'm having an issue with the idea of paying $900+/month on housing alone.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14423
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:54 pm

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mragsdale
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Housing Question

Postby mragsdale » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 pm

Hyde park because it's CHEAP ( 350 to 750 rent :shock: ) and my boyfriend is going to UofC Law so we could live together. But I don't want to end up in a position where it'll be a hassle to get to and from the school every day & the distance interferes with my studies or my ability to participate in social stuff. I don't know Chicago at all so I don't have a sense of how much of an inconvenience it would be.

I'm not going to have a car.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Housing Question

Postby lemons » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:05 pm

mragsdale wrote:Hyde park because it's CHEAP ( 350 to 750 rent :shock: ) and my boyfriend is going to UofC Law so we could live together. But I don't want to end up in a position where it'll be a hassle to get to and from the school every day & the distance interferes with my studies or my ability to participate in social stuff. I don't know Chicago at all so I don't have a sense of how much of an inconvenience it would be.

I'm not going to have a car.


You could commute by public transit pretty easily if you live near the 6 and are willing to change buses. I have family in hyde park so I go there pretty often and you could take the 6 most of the way and then catch the 3 or the 151 the rest of the way. It's annoying but not impossible. I would be more worried about the winter, because you might have to wait for the second bus, and buses are super slow when it is snowing/raining so you'd definitely have to allocate more travel time.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 pm

Have your boyfriend commute. Hyde park is boring.

larry_david
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Housing Question

Postby larry_david » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm

mragsdale wrote:Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I'm having an issue with the idea of paying $900+/month on housing alone.



I am going into my final year. I now live in Hyde Park and commute. Commuting is not thrilling, but is easy enough. The 6 was mentioned above, but the 2 is much better. The 2 runs express during the week. http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... ules/2.pdf It runs from Hyde Park to basically three blocks from NU. Make your boyfriend ask for student housing right outside a 2 stop, like around 52ndish and Kenwood. There is plenty and it is decently nice. He will have a bit longer walk, but it would be a fair compromise. I usually just take the first bus out and either read or listen to a lecture-type-thing. People are quiet then and delays are rare. One day in Winter you will be mad at me for this advice. But, given how much you can save, I think it is a good choice. Also, in a weird way, commuting kind of forces you to structure your time better, and at least personally made me more efficient. There are a lot of awesome neighborhoods in Chicago. But, if it is between Streeterville and Hyde Park, the latter wins by a mile, unless you want a striking lack of diversity and doubled rent. For the money you save living in HP, you could buy a legitimately nice meal every night of the week. Or, like, fund multiple vacations. And, again, its not like riding the bus means you cannot be productive. I realize you asked specifically about 1L here, but i think the above generally applies.

st-1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby st-1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 pm

st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

Any class that's the least amount of work with the easiest curves.
I don't think firms most care what classes you take.
Correct me if I'm wrong

mragsdale
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Housing Question

Postby mragsdale » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:20 pm

larry_david wrote:
mragsdale wrote:Has anyone here lived in Hyde Park/close to UofC campus and commuted to Northwestern as a 1L? Or have experience living 45 min to 1 hr away by PT from NU in general? How much of an inconvenience was it?

I'm having an issue with the idea of paying $900+/month on housing alone.



I am going into my final year. I now live in Hyde Park and commute. Commuting is not thrilling, but is easy enough. The 6 was mentioned above, but the 2 is much better. The 2 runs express during the week. http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... ules/2.pdf It runs from Hyde Park to basically three blocks from NU. Make your boyfriend ask for student housing right outside a 2 stop, like around 52ndish and Kenwood. There is plenty and it is decently nice. He will have a bit longer walk, but it would be a fair compromise. I usually just take the first bus out and either read or listen to a lecture-type-thing. People are quiet then and delays are rare. One day in Winter you will be mad at me for this advice. But, given how much you can save, I think it is a good choice. Also, in a weird way, commuting kind of forces you to structure your time better, and at least personally made me more efficient. There are a lot of awesome neighborhoods in Chicago. But, if it is between Streeterville and Hyde Park, the latter wins by a mile, unless you want a striking lack of diversity and doubled rent. For the money you save living in HP, you could buy a legitimately nice meal every night of the week. Or, like, fund multiple vacations. And, again, its not like riding the bus means you cannot be productive. I realize you asked specifically about 1L here, but i think the above generally applies.


This is really helpful. Thank you! My options now are living on the 66, the Red Line, the 3, the 6, or the 2.

Suggestions on neighborhoods in Chicago besides Hyde Park that are similarly cheap (and thus diverse)?

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

Any class that's the least amount of work with the easiest curves.
I don't think firms most care what classes you take.
Correct me if I'm wrong


Corporate Finance. Also, Lynda.com if you're not already an expert in Word, Powerpoint and Excel . . . this is doubly important if you're interested in becoming a comma jockey.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

Any class that's the least amount of work with the easiest curves.
I don't think firms most care what classes you take.
Correct me if I'm wrong


Corporate Finance. Also, Lynda.com if you're not already an expert in Word, Powerpoint and Excel . . . this is doubly important if you're interested in becoming a comma jockey.

Never realized until this summer how much money you can make by being a human spell checker and copy-paste master

ghostoftraynor
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby ghostoftraynor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
st-1 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestions for classes to take? I want to do transactional work for a big law firm. Any class and/professor suggestions or any suggestions on what/who not to take would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance for any help.

Any class that's the least amount of work with the easiest curves.
I don't think firms most care what classes you take.
Correct me if I'm wrong


Corporate Finance. Also, Lynda.com if you're not already an expert in Word, Powerpoint and Excel . . . this is doubly important if you're interested in becoming a comma jockey.

Never realized until this summer how much money you can make by being a human spell checker and copy-paste master


It really demonstrates that law professors should let us copy and paste on all of our finals.

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Is there a place where I can find a list of especially tough (grading) professors. I'm not looking for easy, but I'd like to avoid particularly hard graders.

crumb cake
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumb cake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 am

.
Last edited by crumb cake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lemons » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm

would it be a horrible idea to use all my bid points? I know they are for fall and spring semesters but isn't it more than likely that most of them will be refunded? so i feel like i can use all of them, just to make sure I get the classes I want. opinions appreciated :mrgreen:

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:06 pm

NU uses examsoft for exams right? I got an email from examsoft a couple months back saying not to upgrade to windows 10 Bc it's not supported.

Anyone know more about this? should we just hold off so it doesn't impact our exams?

crumb cake
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumb cake » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:27 pm

.
Last edited by crumb cake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: twister93, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests