Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lemons

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lemons » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:09 pm

has anyone participated in NUvention Medical Innovation? looks really interesting but I don't have a medical or business background and I'm wondering if it would be difficult to get into the class and/or to contribute ideas

eta: also, thoughts on best professor to take negotiations with? so many options!
Last edited by lemons on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foghornleghorn

Postby Foghornleghorn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:21 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:General thoughts on clerking after a few years of practice e versus right out of school? What's an estimate of the percent of people at NU trying to clerk right away? General curiosity here, not sure I'll ever clerk but giving it a little thought

Kadens has a lovely recording posted somewhere on the school site about clerkships.

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 am

I'm having a hard time finding class descriptions in Caesar. It's telling me to put things in the search and I just wanna see all the law classes for this fall and it keeps saying it's not finding anything

Someone help

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:I'm having a hard time finding class descriptions in Caesar. It's telling me to put things in the search and I just wanna see all the law classes for this fall and it keeps saying it's not finding anything

Someone help

Under Law Bidding and Class Schedule > Fall Class Schedule

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:I'm having a hard time finding class descriptions in Caesar. It's telling me to put things in the search and I just wanna see all the law classes for this fall and it keeps saying it's not finding anything

Someone help

Law bidding is in Caesar?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Someone help

Yes. After logging in, look on the top of the left column and you should see "Law Bidding and Class Schedule." Click on "Fall Class Schedule" under that heading and all the fall class list will populate. Click on "Details" for any class to get its description.

Also, CAESAR can get screwy with use of the back button, so try and navigate using the internal links as much as possible. If it explodes, just click on the very top left "CAESAR" and begin again.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Someone help

It's the top left heading on my CAESAR homepage. And yes, you bid on classes in CAESAR.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:01 pm

I don't have that. Must be because I'm transferring and there's some wait placed on it? Weird. Enrollment is the top left item

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:I don't have that. Must be because I'm transferring and there's some wait placed on it? Weird. Enrollment is the top left item

Does it look like this?

If so, click on Main Menu (at the top, under the big CAESAR) and pick Law Bidding and Class Schedule

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:I don't have that. Must be because I'm transferring and there's some wait placed on it? Weird. Enrollment is the top left item

Does it look like this?

If so, click on Main Menu (at the top, under the big CAESAR) and pick Law Bidding and Class Schedule

Looks like the pics you've posted except Law bidding and Class Schedule isn't an option at all for me. Just Enrollment. I've paid my deposit and all my loans stuff and bid for OCI just fine, not sure why this isn't showing up

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:55 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Looks like the pics you've posted except Law bidding and Class Schedule isn't an option at all for me. Just Enrollment. I've paid my deposit and all my loans stuff and bid for OCI just fine, not sure why this isn't showing up

i know this is a crappy answer but i would just call IT. they are super friendly and will work to get you a solution, even if it is not an issue on their end. once i had an issue with something and it turns out it was the registrar's fault but they gave me numbers to call and even walked over to cliff and asked him what he would suggest.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-school-life/facilities/it/

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks lemons. Admissions said transfers have access Wednesday

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:08 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Perspective requirement: thoughts on anything that isn't awful?

What are the options?

Fall: Feminist Jurisprudence; Race, Social Science, and the Law; Jurisprudence; Colloquium: Law and Economics

Spring:Comparative Law; Public Corruption and the Law; Economic Analysis of the Law; Colloquium: Law and Economics; Narrative Structures; English Legal History

Barf.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:11 am

KremeCheez wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Perspective requirement: thoughts on anything that isn't awful?

What are the options?

Fall: Feminist Jurisprudence; Race, Social Science, and the Law; Jurisprudence; Colloquium: Law and Economics

Spring:Comparative Law; Public Corruption and the Law; Economic Analysis of the Law; Colloquium: Law and Economics; Narrative Structures; English Legal History

Barf.

I really enjoyed FemJur. Probably the best class discussions out of any of my seminars. Tuerkheimer is really good.

In Narrative structures you get to read like To Kill a Mockingbird and shit. I wanted to take it but never could fit it.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 am

Advice on my potential fall schedule would be great. I know the basic requirements for 2 and 3L, I just don't know if there's general wisdom about classes that are best to take a certain year/sem/prof so I thought I would ask this thread.

Pretty sure about taking ITA (Burns/Lubet/Burns) - 10 credits

and I don't wanna overload with 15 credits or under load with 13, but also interested in these electives:

Internatl crim law in U.S. Courts (Sorensen) - 3 credits
Law and Religion (koppelman) - 3 credits
copyright law (DiCola) - 3 credits
Internatl human rights (scheffer) - 2 credits
In house counsel (Finke/Hacker) - 2 or 3 credits?
Prisons and prisoners rights (Mills) - 2 or 3 credits?
Biz assoc (miller or Litvak) - 3?
Cross border transactions (Goldberg) - 3?

I'll try for journal of course. Just to be annoying and make this harder, I want to avoid thurs and fri classes (reflected above)

Or scrap ITA and take all the electives that interest me?

No clue what I'm doing, the offerings are so different and seemingly better than my old school so I'm a kid in a candy shop

All help is appreciated

BlueLaw11

Postby BlueLaw11 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:33 pm

How popular/effective is the Divvy Bike Sharing Program? Are there enough stations to make it useful? Love biking to cut travel times so was curious. Thanks!

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm

You're probably better off buying a bike than using the divvy program. There are a lot of stations but I think you have to check the bikes in pretty often so it can be annoying if you're going a long distance. Also, you get kinda screwed if the station where you dock it is full. If you're looking for a cheap, good bike then I suggest you look up Kevin Thornton on yelp. The guy repairs and fixes used bikes out of his house/garage and has good prices.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm

some schools do registration/bidding in the fall for both semesters....does NU? or do we do spring later?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:some schools do registration/bidding in the fall for both semesters....does NU? or do we do spring later?

Later.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:39 pm

I have an ITP idea for spring if anyone wants to PM me and talk about it

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:28 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.

No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:How popular/effective is the Divvy Bike Sharing Program? Are there enough stations to make it useful? Love biking to cut travel times so was curious. Thanks!

Divvy is great and excellent value. But the weather can get bad early unfortunately.

Slow Your Roll

Postby Slow Your Roll » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 am

ghostoftraynor wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Is 13 credits a normal amount to take or not enough? I'm thinking about doing ITA and one other 3-credit class. I don't want to look like a slacker in my clerkship apps, but I'd also love to take a lighter load to help balance callbacks/job search stuff/clerkship apps.

No idea about clerking, but for normal people that should be fine. Fall 2L can get really busy, especially if you are doing a journal.

What about only 12 credits (4 classes)? Would that look bad generally or for clerkship apps?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”