Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, Homestyle, I've been meaning to ask you about seat deposits. I 've already paid the first $750 (which for everyone else is due 4/29), because they required it before I could request the deferral. When my deferral was granted, the letter said:

We will require you to submit two additional tuition deposits to the Law School. The first $750 deposit to secure your deferral is due April 29, 2011. Payment of a second $750 deposit, to be forwarded to our office no later than April 30, 2012, will be necessary to confirm your intent to enroll in the academic year 2012-2013.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of that 2nd payment due by 4/29 (twice as much money as everyone else, by the same date?). Were your payment due dates the same?

If the 2nd payment were in August or something, I wouldn't mind so much.

just checked my official deferral letter: 1 was due at end of April, one at end of May, then the one due this April

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:21 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, Homestyle, I've been meaning to ask you about seat deposits. I 've already paid the first $750 (which for everyone else is due 4/29), because they required it before I could request the deferral. When my deferral was granted, the letter said:

We will require you to submit two additional tuition deposits to the Law School. The first $750 deposit to secure your deferral is due April 29, 2011. Payment of a second $750 deposit, to be forwarded to our office no later than April 30, 2012, will be necessary to confirm your intent to enroll in the academic year 2012-2013.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of that 2nd payment due by 4/29 (twice as much money as everyone else, by the same date?). Were your payment due dates the same?

If the 2nd payment were in August or something, I wouldn't mind so much.

just checked my official deferral letter: 1 was due at end of April, one at end of May, then the one due this April

Well, that's not much different, I guess. I could've used that extra month, though! Thanks for checking.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:That said, looking at the 2012 employment numbers from USN, if NU isn't completely lying, then 82% of the class gets a private sector job with the 25-75 salary being 160k, 91% reporting.

Do not, I repeat, do not rely on these numbers.

Meh, I am going Public Interest, so I don't care, the LRAP is very generous.

cubswin wrote:I find it odd that you've been a member here since '09 and somehow aren't in on the secret that USN stats are a pile of horseshit.

It is a consistent pile of horseshit. Chances are if NU's numbers are 15% inflated, the lower schools are inflated the same or more.

kn8r

Postby kn8r » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Random question: Do NU students get MS office suite at a discount? I'm beginning to strategize/covet about LS laptops and wonder if I can beat the bundled office price with a student discount.

Yes. I just bought Office 2011 for mac through the NU e-academy website for $60.

Go here: northwestern.onthehub.com

then click "start shopping," then enter your NetID/passwd.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:40 am

taw856 wrote:Challenge: Pop-a-shot basketball at Prentice. Go.

This weekend, I'm in.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 am

kn8r wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Random question: Do NU students get MS office suite at a discount? I'm beginning to strategize/covet about LS laptops and wonder if I can beat the bundled office price with a student discount.

Yes. I just bought Office 2011 for mac through the NU e-academy website for $60.

Go here: northwestern.onthehub.com

then click "start shopping," then enter your NetID/passwd.

awesome thanks!

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 am

I feel like I need to ask the question that is on everyone's mind:

How close is the nearest Laser Tag to NU campus?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am

Maybe Adler Planetarium?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:01 pm

alexonfyre wrote:I feel like I need to ask the question that is on everyone's mind:

Surely the school will approve a COA increase to outfit people with their own gear that way the answer to this is: "On Campus"

pew pew pew

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:I feel like I need to ask the question that is on everyone's mind:

Surely the school will approve a COA increase to outfit people with their own gear that way the answer to this is: "On Campus"

pew pew pew
I'm totally loving this mental image. I <3 NU

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 pm

src42 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

pew pew pew
I'm totally loving this mental image. I <3 NU

I would think that crazy old fashioned lecture hall (the Lincoln room?) would be ideal for some lazer tag

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm

taw856 wrote:Challenge: Pop-a-shot basketball at Prentice. Go.

Confirmed: why I was a cheerleader instead of a basketball player.

I am, however, better than taw at guessing how much food DesertFox has consumed in our absence.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I am, however, better than taw at guessing how much food DesertFox has consumed in our absence.

I clearly should have eschewed quantities and gone with "a lot."

fjsms

Postby fjsms » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:36 am

Housing questions... I apologize, I know these have been somewhat addressed, but I also received an offer for the AJD, and I'm strongly leaning towards taking it, so this is crunch time. I'm pretty set on Streeterville, particularly given the time frame. With that in mind:

1- Better time to lease (price-wise): now or July/August? It's possible that I will be there solo for my first few months with my SO joining later. Trying to decide if it makes sense for me to sublease a small studio or just go ahead and sign a lease on a convertible or 1 BR.

2- I'll be in town for ASW next weekend, so I'm thinking I will need skip a couple of activities and do some apartment shopping. Is my best plan of attack to set up appts with the individual leasing offices? It sounds like there are frequently special offers this way? How much more difficult will this be then going through student-space or a broker? Are condos also an option? I haven't seen many on Craig's List, are they usually brokered listings?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:00 am

fjsms wrote:Housing questions... I apologize, I know these have been somewhat addressed, but I also received an offer for the AJD, and I'm strongly leaning towards taking it, so this is crunch time. I'm pretty set on Streeterville, particularly given the time frame. With that in mind:

1- Better time to lease (price-wise): now or July/August? It's possible that I will be there solo for my first few months with my SO joining later. Trying to decide if it makes sense for me to sublease a small studio or just go ahead and sign a lease on a convertible or 1 BR.

2- I'll be in town for ASW next weekend, so I'm thinking I will need skip a couple of activities and do some apartment shopping. Is my best plan of attack to set up appts with the individual leasing offices? It sounds like there are frequently special offers this way? How much more difficult will this be then going through student-space or a broker? Are condos also an option? I haven't seen many on Craig's List, are they usually brokered listings?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

1) I didn't see much price range.

2) You can save money by calling the apartments. Renting someone's condo is def an option. I almost did that myself. Was a private listing, but some are brokered.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:48 am

I'm looking at apartments as far away as Washington Park. Am I nuts for thinking I can walk to campus all winter from that distance and still keep all of my toes? Is the key to survival in a Chicago winter being drunk as much as possible? Are 1Ls going to try to get me drunk just on Saturday night at ASW, or on Friday night too?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 am

Bumi wrote:I'm looking at apartments as far away as Washington Park. Am I nuts for thinking I can walk to campus?

Yes

Bumi wrote:Is the key to survival in a Chicago winter being drunk as much as possible?

Yes

Bumi wrote:Are 1Ls going to try to get me drunk just on Saturday night at ASW, or on Friday night too?

Yes

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 am

In all seriousness, I feel like you must be thinking about something else, and not Washington Park, if you are even considering walking to school...

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 am

Holly Golightly wrote:In all seriousness, I feel like you must be thinking about something else, and not Washington Park, if you are even considering walking to school...

Unless he/she meant to post this in the UChicago thread.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 am

Odd question: when it gets cold, do people in the city actually dress for it (that is, do they wear insulated parkas intended for cold weather activities such as snowboarding) or does everyone still insist on wearing 'city' clothes like wool peacoats or whatever?

I have a friend who moved from Idaho to New York and says she gets weird looks and questions ("Are you a mountain climber?") for wearing a North Face/Columbia/Mountain Hardware-type jacket when it gets cold. Wondering if Chicago is similar or if warmth overrules style.

Personally, I'm perfectly willing to wear my bright purple paisley snowboarding pants on Michigan Ave. if the temps warrant it and I'll take the weird looks. I'm just curious.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Odd question: when it gets cold, do people in the city actually dress for it (that is, do they wear insulated parkas intended for cold weather activities such as snowboarding) or does everyone still insist on wearing 'city' clothes like wool peacoats or whatever?

I have a friend who moved from Idaho to New York and says she gets weird looks and questions ("Are you a mountain climber?") for wearing a North Face/Columbia/Mountain Hardware-type jacket when it gets cold. Wondering if Chicago is similar or if warmth overrules style.

Personally, I'm perfectly willing to wear my bright purple paisley snowboarding pants on Michigan Ave. if the temps warrant it and I'll take the weird looks. I'm just curious.

I wear "wool peacoats or whatever," and have found them warm enough for anything over like 10 degrees, and I can wear them to work/presentations without looking unprofessional. I don't go to NU, but I have been to Chicago a few times, and there was a lot of what you would call "city clothes," but plenty of people wearing parkas and the like as well. I can't tell you what people will say to you or think about it, but I'm pretty sure they would be more concerned about the fact that they are "bright purple paisley" before the "snowboarding pants" aspect came up.
Obviously I don't really mind what you wear in your personal time, but for law school you should get some "city clothes" for when you have business functions/interviews to attend.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 am

alexonfyre wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Odd question: when it gets cold, do people in the city actually dress for it (that is, do they wear insulated parkas intended for cold weather activities such as snowboarding) or does everyone still insist on wearing 'city' clothes like wool peacoats or whatever?

I wear "wool peacoats or whatever," and have found them warm enough for anything over like 10 degrees, and I can wear them to work/presentations without looking unprofessional. I don't go to NU, but I have been to Chicago a few times, and there was a lot of what you would call "city clothes," but plenty of people wearing parkas and the like as well. I can't tell you what people will say to you or think about it, but I'm pretty sure they would be more concerned about the fact that they are "bright purple paisley" before the "snowboarding pants" aspect came up.
Obviously I don't really mind what you wear in your personal time, but for law school you should get some "city clothes" for when you have business functions/interviews to attend.

I don't give a damn about style. Unless I'm in a suit, I'll wear my big ol' tundra coat and 180s until it gets over 40.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:32 am

Holly Golightly wrote:In all seriousness, I feel like you must be thinking about something else, and not Washington Park, if you are even considering walking to school...

Oops I meant Washington Square Park. This thing.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am

Bumi wrote:

Oops I meant Washington Square Park. This thing.

I think that is considered River North, correct me if I am wrong NU people. That's pretty close to school, and wouldn't take too terribly long to walk. You can always just walk down to Chicago and take the 66 over if the weather is too rough.

For the person who was asking about coats: fuck fashion; stay warm. Of course, Streeterville will always have blue bloods who wear pea coats and whatever else looks fashionable but not not necessarily warm. Ignore them and stay comfortable.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 am

I live in a warmer weather climate. My warmest jacket is somewhat fashion-oriented because that's what people do here because who cares, it's not that cold. When I visited the school when it was cold earlier this year I felt like a damn idiot in that thing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”