Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cookiejar1

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:53 am

NYC-WVU wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:When is tuition do? I wouldn't drop out until after OCI at least.

What's the cut off for coif this year when will we find out asking for a friend

Top 10%

so what's top 10% these days? anyone wanna guess? 3.93+? dat inflation

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:16 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:When is tuition do? I wouldn't drop out until after OCI at least.

What's the cut off for coif this year when will we find out asking for a friend

Top 10%

so what's top 10% these days? anyone wanna guess? 3.93+? dat inflation

Yeah probably. That's about where I would guess.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:10 am

i don't know what it is this year but i feel like i remember seeing something posted last year putting it at 3.95 or above. if things keep going it will actually be higher than Magna soon lol.

onionz

Postby onionz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:12 am

feralinfant wrote:i don't know what it is this year but i feel like i remember seeing something posted last year putting it at 3.95 or above. if things keep going it will actually be higher than Magna soon lol.

Class of 2014 graduation had almost perfect overlap between coif and magna. I'd link to the sheet but the website seems to be down.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Does Northwestern give out free copies of Microsoft Office? My undergrad distributed it for free to both Windows and Mac users.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:37 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Does Northwestern give out free copies of Microsoft Office? My undergrad distributed it for free to both Windows and Mac users.

yeah, you can get it free

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 pm

onionz wrote:
feralinfant wrote:i don't know what it is this year but i feel like i remember seeing something posted last year putting it at 3.95 or above. if things keep going it will actually be higher than Magna soon lol.

Class of 2014 graduation had almost perfect overlap between coif and magna. I'd link to the sheet but the website seems to be down.

It was actually above magna for 2014.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:30 pm

splitmuch wrote:
onionz wrote:

lolololol ok everyone we're done here

pls delete all posts

there's nothing to see here

nu does not have grade inflation

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:47 am

splitmuch wrote:
onionz wrote:

nah

BetterThanCraigslist

Postby BetterThanCraigslist » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 am

0L's -- we're looking for a person to take a spare room in our apartment. You'd be living with other law school guys. 875/mo plus utilities. We'll throw in outlines, supplements and free advice. PM and we'll talk!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:05 am

I know it's way too early to think about OCI as a 0L but I'm anxious already after reading the OCI 2015 thread about landing in Chicago for biglaw through OCI. I'm biglaw or bust and my wife's tied to Chicago for 5 years for a PhD, so Chicago is much preferred over NYC for obvious reasons. Is there any thing I can do early, this summer/fall 1L, to improve my Chicago chances? I'm particularly nervous because a) I want litigation, not transactional, and have read that you need top grades for Chicago litigation; b) I have 3 years of good (great?) work experience, but nothing on my resume is in Chicago, so firms might throw it out because of a perceived lack of ties before giving me the chance to explain my wife's situation.

SA2014

Postby SA2014 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

Yo
Last edited by SA2014 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:16 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I know it's way too early to think about OCI as a 0L but I'm anxious already after reading the OCI 2015 thread about landing in Chicago for biglaw through OCI. I'm biglaw or bust and my wife's tied to Chicago for 5 years for a PhD, so Chicago is much preferred over NYC for obvious reasons. Is there any thing I can do early, this summer/fall 1L, to improve my Chicago chances? I'm particularly nervous because a) I want litigation, not transactional, and have read that you need top grades for Chicago litigation; b) I have 3 years of good (great?) work experience, but nothing on my resume is in Chicago, so firms might throw it out because of a perceived lack of ties before giving me the chance to explain my wife's situation.

We're just being risk adverse in the OCI thread. You'll have opportunities. Focus on doing well in law school and worry about OCI later. Who knows how the legal market will change over the next few years. Chicago is tough but not impossible. You're in a very good position for Chicago big law compared to law students at other schools.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah, like to be clear plenty of people at median or below got Chicago. But be as risk averse as possible since it is a rather significant part of your future.
Don't start reading outlines now. That was a joke (I think).

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Yeah, like to be clear plenty of people at median or below got Chicago.

But:

1) how many had ties, at least to the midwest?
2) how many were Lit?

Chrstgtr

Postby Chrstgtr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Big Dog wrote:

But:

2) how many were Lit?

Does having legit ties let you punch above your weight? I always thought ties were necessary to have a chance absent outstanding grades (or even with stellar grades).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 am

Big Dog wrote:

But:

2) how many were Lit?

Good point.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 am

Ties are only relevant to the extent that it helps you genuinely convey your desire and intention to live in Chicago and not be an immediate flight risk and/or not be someone who will force the firm to hold their offer open for three weeks only for them to lose you to a NYC firm. I interviewed in Chicago successfully without any ties whatsoever.

Re: lit . . . we have no idea what the legal market is going to look like down the road. Litigation may have been flat during our cycle but there's little point in trying to divine how firms during the Summer of 2016 will project the legal market in Fall 2018 to be.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:25 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I know it's way too early to think about OCI as a 0L but I'm anxious already after reading the OCI 2015 thread about landing in Chicago for biglaw through OCI. I'm biglaw or bust and my wife's tied to Chicago for 5 years for a PhD, so Chicago is much preferred over NYC for obvious reasons. Is there any thing I can do early, this summer/fall 1L, to improve my Chicago chances? I'm particularly nervous because a) I want litigation, not transactional, and have read that you need top grades for Chicago litigation; b) I have 3 years of good (great?) work experience, but nothing on my resume is in Chicago, so firms might throw it out because of a perceived lack of ties before giving me the chance to explain my wife's situation.

We're just being risk adverse in the OCI thread. You'll have opportunities. Focus on doing well in law school and worry about OCI later. Who knows how the legal market will change over the next few years. Chicago is tough but not impossible. You're in a very good position for Chicago big law compared to law students at other schools.

Thanks. Searching through last year's OCI thread for "chicago litigation" had me thinking about dropping my litigation plans.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 am

So, if I understand correctly, interest rates are down this year?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:09 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Ties are only relevant to the extent that it helps you genuinely convey your desire and intention to live in Chicago and not be an immediate flight risk and/or not be someone who will force the firm to hold their offer open for three weeks only for them to lose you to a NYC firm. I interviewed in Chicago successfully without any ties whatsoever.

Re: lit . . . we have no idea what the legal market is going to look like down the road. Litigation may have been flat during our cycle but there's little point in trying to divine how firms during the Summer of 2016 will project the legal market in Fall 2018 to be.

Yes, people should "not try to divine" a firm or markets needs, but they should definitely try to figure it out by asking contacts and looking at firm matters/financials. If you had a 3.6 with no ties and tried to get into chi lit, you had a bad time (this is secondhand. I didn't bid Chicago, any anon who wants to confirm please go ahead, or just look at last years oci thread).
It may not be the same this year, but it's worth doing research and asking networking contacts to found out.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:46 pm

Yes, people should "not try to divine" a firm or markets needs, but they should definitely try to figure it out by asking contacts and looking at firm matters/financials.

Exactly. Look up a firm or two, and search for recent grads, at least those not off doing a clerkship. Take Kirkland or Sidley for example, and see the quals/background of those hired in Lit.

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:48 pm

i know this is probably a question for someone in career services, but does anyone have suggestions about how I should respond to an email from a firm asking me for my transcript or gpa/rank? My understanding is that it is against NALP rules for firms to ask for transcripts during the pre-select process/before the interview? I bid on this firm for the CCBA minority job fair and I am interested so I want to respond appropriately

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:20 am

lemons wrote:i know this is probably a question for someone in career services, but does anyone have suggestions about how I should respond to an email from a firm asking me for my transcript or gpa/rank? My understanding is that it is against NALP rules for firms to ask for transcripts during the pre-select process/before the interview? I bid on this firm for the CCBA minority job fair and I am interested so I want to respond appropriately

it's been two years since I did it, but wasn't the CCBA pre-select? if so, they should already have your GPA.

also, there is no NALP rule against a firm asking for transcripts for 2L summer positions (to the best of my knowledge).

lemons

Postby lemons » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 am

splitsplat wrote:
lemons wrote:i know this is probably a question for someone in career services, but does anyone have suggestions about how I should respond to an email from a firm asking me for my transcript or gpa/rank? My understanding is that it is against NALP rules for firms to ask for transcripts during the pre-select process/before the interview? I bid on this firm for the CCBA minority job fair and I am interested so I want to respond appropriately

it's been two years since I did it, but wasn't the CCBA pre-select? if so, they should already have your GPA.

also, there is no NALP rule against a firm asking for transcripts for 2L summer positions (to the best of my knowledge).

The CCBA sent out an email that said that firms preselect half and the other half is lottery. and the CCBA doesn't have my GPA (only my resume) so i'm assuming firms don't have it either haha But I think I will just send the firm my transcript because they will see it eventually. Thanks for your input! :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”