Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:14 am

Defer to the other posts who have actually lived there but the vast majority of Streeterville 1Ls during my year lived in McClurg. Building seems fine from a visitor. I'd consider living there if Streeterville wasn't so damn boring.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 am

The best buildings are the most expensive. Streeter is great, but most people can't afford it. McClurg and Onterie are fine, but overpriced.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 26, 2015 10:52 am

Everything in Streeterville is overpriced compared to the places you can get elsewhere. If you have the money for it Streeter Place, The Streeter, and similar luxury high rises are certainly nice places to live. But default answer is McClurg, it's like the dorms for Northwestern Law and medical school. (Note, I lived in Street Place 1L year and was happy with everything but price. Never lived in McClurg.)

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue May 26, 2015 11:08 am

I lived in Onterie, and if you want to pay a lot of money for a small, meh apartment, I suppose it's fine.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue May 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Anyone have an environmental law outline they could share?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:Anyone have an environmental law outline they could share?

I have a spectacular one that at least 4 people have added to over several years.
I've posted a link to my dropbox outline folder in this thread, but I'll re-post when I get on my laptop in an hour or so in case you don't want to go searching for it.

ETA: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzzmsex6m3cz ... yxzMa?dl=0

User avatar
BlueLaw11
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:14 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby BlueLaw11 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:55 am

Hey thanks so much for the feedback everyone, appreciate it. It sounds like the general consensus here is that Streeterville isn't the best place to live. Besides the fact that it's higher in price, are there any other negatives to the area? I've never done a "real winter," so to speak, before so I was hoping to live as close to the law school as possible. I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods though so maybe there are others that are just as convenient

Thanks again for your advice

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:47 am

Taking public transportation in the winter isn't too bad. What kills you is the time you spend walking from one place to another. So if you live close to school but have to walk 15 minutes to school every day . . . you're not going to have a great time. Other than that buses and trains are pretty comfortable . . .

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 28, 2015 10:10 am

I'm moving to Chicago with a U-Haul, 'cause I've got lots of shit, mostly worthless.

I don't have time to fly into Chicago to scout apartments before signing a lease.

Should I 1) sign a lease site unseen or 2) stay at a hotel for a week when I first move so I can check out places?

nemrac11
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby nemrac11 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm moving to Chicago with a U-Haul, 'cause I've got lots of shit, mostly worthless.

I don't have time to fly into Chicago to scout apartments before signing a lease.

Should I 1) sign a lease site unseen or 2) stay at a hotel for a week when I first move so I can check out places?


If you're coming to Chicago with a U-Haul, I think you are going to have some issues finding parking if you stay in a hotel for a week.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 28, 2015 1:39 pm

nemrac11 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm moving to Chicago with a U-Haul, 'cause I've got lots of shit, mostly worthless.

I don't have time to fly into Chicago to scout apartments before signing a lease.

Should I 1) sign a lease site unseen or 2) stay at a hotel for a week when I first move so I can check out places?


If you're coming to Chicago with a U-Haul, I think you are going to have some issues finding parking if you stay in a hotel for a week.

Yeah, I wouldn't feel very comfortable leaving a U-Haul with all of my stuff in it anywhere but a locked garage.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu May 28, 2015 1:52 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Hey thanks so much for the feedback everyone, appreciate it. It sounds like the general consensus here is that Streeterville isn't the best place to live. Besides the fact that it's higher in price, are there any other negatives to the area? I've never done a "real winter," so to speak, before so I was hoping to live as close to the law school as possible. I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods though so maybe there are others that are just as convenient

Thanks again for your advice


I loved the convenience of streeterville 1L year, but in the end what clinched moving for me was the neighborhood itself. I valued being able to walk to a bar or restaurant I actually like over being able to walk to school. If you're nervous, try it for one year, you'll probably end up moving like most people, but it'll give you that security to explore the city at your own pace. I moved from rural Texas so I had no idea how public transit or cities in general worked, and I liked slowly expanding my bubble.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm moving to Chicago with a U-Haul, 'cause I've got lots of shit, mostly worthless.

I don't have time to fly into Chicago to scout apartments before signing a lease.

Should I 1) sign a lease site unseen or 2) stay at a hotel for a week when I first move so I can check out places?

Have you considered driving out on your own a week early and have your stuff shipped separately? I used U-Box when I moved from CA and it wasn't too expensive.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun May 31, 2015 10:53 am

Cobretti wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm moving to Chicago with a U-Haul, 'cause I've got lots of shit, mostly worthless.

I don't have time to fly into Chicago to scout apartments before signing a lease.

Should I 1) sign a lease site unseen or 2) stay at a hotel for a week when I first move so I can check out places?

Have you considered driving out on your own a week early and have your stuff shipped separately? I used U-Box when I moved from CA and it wasn't too expensive.


Haven't considered it - great suggestion. Thanks.

personofinterest
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby personofinterest » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:15 pm

So, it's about that time when 1L grades come out. Is this chart below still valid?

Handy-dandy GPA/class-rank break down, for after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30-3.40 - median
3.20+ - top 65%
3.00+ - quite below median
below 3.00 - near the bottom

This is very approximate, but it doesn't really matter because firms don't try to divine your exact class rank. Nobody really knows what the bottom half of the curve looks like, because the curve is not symmetric.
Last edited by personofinterest on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lemons » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:01 pm

does anyone know where we can find the statistics on past OCI GPA/firm callbacks? I can't seem to find it on symplicity or careerspace.

Also, is there any bidding strategies we should keep in mind for the CCBA job fair? We have to bid for the CCBA job fair by June 6 but we won't know which firms will be at OCI until June 15 =/

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:24 am

lemons wrote:does anyone know where we can find the statistics on past OCI GPA/firm callbacks? I can't seem to find it on symplicity or careerspace.

Also, is there any bidding strategies we should keep in mind for the CCBA job fair? We have to bid for the CCBA job fair by June 6 but we won't know which firms will be at OCI until June 15 =/


(1) OCS will release this information to you later. I wouldn't worry about it yet. It's helpful as a reference point but it's far from a mylsn law school admissions estimator.

(2) I mentioned this earlier in the thread but pre-OCI I was Kirkland-or-die and so I saved that firm for OCI under the impression that it will be much easier to snag a CB there than through other channels. I know others who treated both Kirkland + Sidley the same way. But aside from "protecting" your favorite firms, I think you should just bid for all (or up to 25) Chicago firms as I believe that the differences between getting a CB or not are negligible at best . . . especially for firms that do not have an extremely strong relationship with NU (i.e., take 10+ NU kids every year). I ended up picking a bunch of great firms at CCBA which saved me some top bids during OCI.

personofinterest wrote:So, it's about that time when 1L grades come out. Is this chart below still valid?

Handy-dandy GPA/class-rank break down, for after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30-3.40 - median
3.20+ - top 65%
3.00+ - quite below median
below 3.00 - near the bottom

This is very approximate, but it doesn't really matter because firms don't try to divine your exact class rank. Nobody really knows what the bottom half of the curve looks like, because the curve is not symmetric.


I think this is still correct but it's more of a wild guess than it is an educated one.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Gradessssss

personofinterest
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby personofinterest » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm

TLSposter wrote:Gradessssss


At what GPA does it actually make sense to drop out? Asking for a friend.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm

personofinterest wrote:
TLSposter wrote:Gradessssss


At what GPA does it actually make sense to drop out? Asking for a friend.

4.0 and above cuz you're too good for law school at that point.

But all joking aside, I guess it depends on what your friend wants to do?

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:06 pm

When is tuition do? I wouldn't drop out until after OCI at least.

What's the cut off for coif this year when will we find out asking for a friend

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:31 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:When is tuition do? I wouldn't drop out until after OCI at least.

What's the cut off for coif this year when will we find out asking for a friend

Top 10%

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
TLSposter wrote:Gradessssss


At what GPA does it actually make sense to drop out? Asking for a friend.

4.0 and above cuz you're too good for law school at that point.

But all joking aside, I guess it depends on what your friend wants to do?

If your friend doesn't want to be a lawyer; he/she should drop out. If your friend wants to be a lawyer, I think he/she will be okay. If they're getting more B- than B then they may want to talk to someone in the administration. Certainly, the future will just be a tough slog. They shouldn't be in it for the money. But they can probably get their average above a 3.0 and find a spot in a small firm. A lot of older lawyers that I work with still think a C/C+ is average.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Man it's nice to not have to care about grades for the first time.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:01 am

Micdiddy wrote:Man it's nice to not have to care about grades for the first time.

If my Facebook feed is any indication, there were still a good batch of 3Ls ironically and unironically Caesar-refreshing.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests