Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MT Cicero

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:How much does the student health insurance cost? The price is not available on the website (think it's Aetna).

$3449 for 2014-15. I didn't use it, so I'm not sure if that's what everyone pays or if there are some kind of offsets due to the ACA. I'll be using it starting this summer though, so I guess I'll find out.

https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/scho ... ob1415.pdf

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 am

MT Cicero wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:How much does the student health insurance cost? The price is not available on the website (think it's Aetna).

$3449 for 2014-15. I didn't use it, so I'm not sure if that's what everyone pays or if there are some kind of offsets due to the ACA. I'll be using it starting this summer though, so I guess I'll find out.

Hm. The exclusion of services for "participating in a riot" and male breast reduction surgery might be a deal breaker for me.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:04 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:

Hm. The exclusion of services for "participating in a riot" and male breast reduction surgery might be a deal breaker for me.

Check UChi's policy.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Check UChi's policy.

We're going to be the best of friends!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:32 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Check UChi's policy.

We're going to be the best of friends!

Sadly, I'm no longer there. Miss u, NU.

trynalaw123

Postby trynalaw123 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Does anyone have any advice on when to move to Chicago, based on the fact that school starts August 31st but I want to get there a bit early? Is there a shortage of housing around that time because of an influx of college/graduate students or do you think I'll be safe to look for August 1st move-in dates?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:27 pm

To: Northwestern Law Community
Re: The Interest Freedom Plan (IFP)
Date: Tuesday, April 28

I am delighted to share with you news of a novel, yet practical, program that will address directly the issue of student debt for an important subset of our graduates. Arising directly out of our Law School’s recent strategic planning process, this initiative, dubbed The Interest Freedom Plan (IFP), serves as our pledge to recent graduates who initially pursue less traditional and lucrative positions in the private sector that their loans will not accrue interest and, therefore, will not increase in amount during their first year in repayment.

The success of Northwestern Law graduates in the marketplace is well documented and, happily, the overwhelming majority of our students are employed, upon graduation or soon thereafter, in positions that enable them to begin tackling their educational debt. However, for a small number of our students, short-term post-graduate circumstances prove more challenging. Thanks to our Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP), students who enter the public sector can get some relief. And, beginning today, students who are less able immediately to pay down their debt because of either temporary unemployment, or employment at a lower level of salary than is typical for Northwestern graduates, will be assisted by Northwestern as well.

Here are the general parameters of the way in which the IFP program will work:
§ The Law School will cover law school student loan interest payments for up to one year for any graduate whose anticipated annual salary is less than $85,000 and whose position is in the private sector and does not otherwise qualify for our LRAP program.
§ Beginning with our Class of 2015 JD program graduates, we are committed to offering this program for at least the next three years (through the class that will graduate in 2018).
§ The benefit period will begin 6 months after graduation - the month student loans enter repayment - and continue for up to 12 months.
§ Unemployed graduates will be eligible to participate provided they fulfill certain requirements such as a minimum number of ongoing meetings with their career advisor and demonstration of an active job search.
§ The program does not apply to students employed in judicial clerkships.
§ To participate, students must provide proof of employment and repayment status in the form of documents such as an offer letter, tax returns, proof of loan repayment, etc.
§ The $85,000 salary cap represents just slightly over half the median starting salary for our graduates who enter the private sector. It is by no means a poverty wage, but it must be understood in the context of law students’ overall debt burden, which can be substantial after (at least) seven years of higher education.
§ For illustrative purposes, a $100,000 loan on a 10-year repayment plan at 7% interest equates to an annual benefit of $6,773. A $150,000 loan generates an annual benefit of $10,160.

The Interest Freedom Plan is the latest in a series of Northwestern Law initiatives to address the structural shifts that have occurred and are occurring in the delivery of legal services. Indeed, while very few law schools have as high a percentage of recent graduates obtaining associate positions in our nation’s most elite law firms as Northwestern, the reality, too, is that a larger number than in the past must consider a diversified range of options beyond Big Law. For some, job searches may be extended while others will decide to initially pursue comparably less lucrative positions in secondary regional markets, in smaller firms, or with a growing number of alternative legal services providers. We cannot ignore these circumstances; and our students need to know that the faculty and administration have their backs.

This financial commitment to the well-being of our students - a commitment that is on the order of magnitude of more than $1,000,000 all told - reflects the larger objective of Northwestern to make a meaningful dent in the debt burdens of our students.

Northwestern Law School is committed to welcoming and educating students regardless of financial condition and circumstance. Student debt potentially impacts student learning, career choice, and overall post-graduate well-being. We are dedicated to assuaging these concerns with tangible and constructive efforts.

The Interest Freedom Plan is no panacea, to be sure. But it joins forces with our significant augmentation of both merit- and need-based aid (which we have doubled over the past four years); is built on an edifice of record-breaking external support of our alumni and friends; and follows our tempered tuition increases (the second-lowest over the past five years among elite law schools). These financial investments matter to our students. They matter to our law school.

Thank you to the many members of our community, including students, faculty, and staff, for their hard work and ingenuity in helping to bring this program to fruition. We will circle back with further details as they become more refined in the coming weeks.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:31 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:Does anyone have any advice on when to move to Chicago, based on the fact that school starts August 31st but I want to get there a bit early? Is there a shortage of housing around that time because of an influx of college/graduate students or do you think I'll be safe to look for August 1st move-in dates?

I think it's easier to find good places for August 1 than September 1. But it's such a big city that neither is terribly difficult.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
trynalaw123 wrote:Does anyone have any advice on when to move to Chicago, based on the fact that school starts August 31st but I want to get there a bit early? Is there a shortage of housing around that time because of an influx of college/graduate students or do you think I'll be safe to look for August 1st move-in dates?

I think it's easier to find good places for August 1 than September 1. But it's such a big city that neither is terribly difficult.

Vacancies tend to get snapped up pretty quickly so you have to move fast, but if you miss one, there will be another one coming along. Especially June-Aug, when so many students are cycling in and out of the city.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Probably a dumb question but do all leases start on the 1st of the month?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:37 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Probably a dumb question but do all leases start on the 1st of the month?

No. Just a lot of them.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Vacancies tend to get snapped up pretty quickly so you have to move fast, but if you miss one, there will be another one coming along. Especially June-Aug, when so many students are cycling in and out of the city.

I moved August 1 and I think it was great to have a few weeks to just hang out and get a feel for the city. And rink brings up a good point about how fast vacancies get filled. I found it frustrating because I wanted to secure a place sooner rather than later, but because of how fast everything moves places normally aren't listed more than a month or maybe 2 before move-in. So don't freak out if you want to move on Aug 1 and don't have something lined up yet in mid June, you'll be fine.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:01 pm

The earliest I can move out is around August 8th weekend. Would those with experience suggest finding a place remotely before I get there, or getting there and then trying to find a place and move in ASAP? Or do I need to find a way to be in Chicago by the 1st to find a place in time? Orientation starts the 24th so I'd like to be settled in at least a couple of days before that.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:04 pm

hearsay77 wrote:The earliest I can move out is around August 8th weekend. Would those with experience suggest finding a place remotely before I get there, or getting there and then trying to find a place and move in ASAP? Or do I need to find a way to be in Chicago by the 1st to find a place in time? Orientation starts the 24th so I'd like to be settled in at least a couple of days before that.

The ideal situation is going to Chi for a weekend to look at places the month before you move. I would never trust online listings. Unless you want to live in one of the shitty buildings in shitty Streeterville, in which case they're all the same and go for it.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Big props to the Dean for the IFP

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Cobretti wrote:Big props to the Dean for the IFP

Looks like a great program, I hope the school is able to keep it going.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:The earliest I can move out is around August 8th weekend. Would those with experience suggest finding a place remotely before I get there, or getting there and then trying to find a place and move in ASAP? Or do I need to find a way to be in Chicago by the 1st to find a place in time? Orientation starts the 24th so I'd like to be settled in at least a couple of days before that.

The ideal situation is going to Chi for a weekend to look at places the month before you move. I would never trust online listings. Unless you want to live in one of the shitty buildings in shitty Streeterville, in which case they're all the same and go for it.

I'm unfortunately out of the country until the end of July, which is why I can't make it to Chicago any sooner. I realize this is definitely a problem, but given my situation what would you suggest? I'm probably not going to live in Streeterville.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:32 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I'm unfortunately out of the country until the end of July, which is why I can't make it to Chicago any sooner. I realize this is definitely a problem, but given my situation what would you suggest? I'm probably not going to live in Streeterville.

Just get someone to look at places for you. If that's not possible then you will probably have to sign sight unseen, but its not the worst thing in the world. Just try to stick to newer high rises and the risk of a total lemon shouldn't be as bad.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:01 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Gotcha. In that case, I think it depends on your priorities in finding a place and whether you can afford a week or two in a hotel if you don't find a place that's available right away. There def are places that have immediate availability, but you'll be rolling the dice whether you'll be able to find one you like in a neighborhood you want within a couple of days. In my experience, the majority of apartments are available on either the 1st or 15th of the month. If you will be able to do that, I think it's probably the better situation, unless you are going to be living in a highrise. I just don't trust apartment listings or people who post listings online, and I know someone who got scammed on craigslist trying to rent an apartment that didn't exist.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Anybody have a structure transactions: selling a business outline? I need stuff on asset purchase agreements and stock purchase agreements etc.

Thanks!

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:41 am

Cobretti wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Just get someone to look at places for you. If that's not possible then you will probably have to sign sight unseen, but its not the worst thing in the world. Just try to stick to newer high rises and the risk of a total lemon shouldn't be as bad.

Holly Golightly wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Gotcha. In that case, I think it depends on your priorities in finding a place and whether you can afford a week or two in a hotel if you don't find a place that's available right away. There def are places that have immediate availability, but you'll be rolling the dice whether you'll be able to find one you like in a neighborhood you want within a couple of days. In my experience, the majority of apartments are available on either the 1st or 15th of the month. If you will be able to do that, I think it's probably the better situation, unless you are going to be living in a highrise. I just don't trust apartment listings or people who post listings online, and I know someone who got scammed on craigslist trying to rent an apartment that didn't exist.

thank you both! I think I'm going to reach out to one of the apartment finding companies and talk to them about what my best option would be too. There's one that says that they help lots of students find apartments remotely, so that might be an option. Thanks again!

qwertee

Postby qwertee » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 am

AJD checking in. Any patent/ip folks with tips on bidding strategy for Loyola's PLIP? Bids are due Sunday. If a target firm will be at both PLIP and OCI, is it better to bid on the same firm twice to increase odds? Or is it better to use a complementary approach and bid on firms at PLIP that will NOT be at OCI? Any other feedback welcome.

checkin2014

Postby checkin2014 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 am

Last edited by checkin2014 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:24 am

checkin2014 wrote:
qwertee wrote:AJD checking in. Any patent/ip folks with tips on bidding strategy for Loyola's PLIP? Bids are due Sunday. If a target firm will be at both PLIP and OCI, is it better to bid on the same firm twice to increase odds? Or is it better to use a complementary approach and bid on firms at PLIP that will NOT be at OCI? Any other feedback welcome.

Hi there, I asked career service the same question, they suggested biding IP boutiques at PLIP and other general practice firms at OCI if you are not dead set on IP (some firms like Jones Day claimed they will only interview a candidate once per office).

I am not sure if this is correct but I'll bid everything possible in my target market.

I think that advice is sorta backwards. Botiques will come to NU oci looking for IP folks. You don't get to talk to every GP firm at OCI, at most like 12-15.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:31 am

Jones Day actually will remove your name from the OCI interview list if you have interviewed with them before. Even if it's a different office.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”