Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Metra isn't incomprhsible unless ur retarded but it is mostly suburban. It mostly dosnt run on freight lines but some do. But I runs fairly on time.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Metra isn't incomprhsible unless ur retarded but it is mostly suburban. It mostly dosnt run on freight lines but some do. But I runs fairly on time.

My experience is limited, but in that limited experience, it seems like the morning trains run according to a schedule, but by the afternoon, good luck predicting the inbound trains especially.

Redynsje

Postby Redynsje » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Can anyone give me a realistic sense of how long it would take to get to the law campus taking the brown line from the Montrose or Addison stations? Also, any thoughts on the Ravenswood or Lincoln Square neighborhoods? Thanks!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Metra isn't incomprhsible unless ur retarded but it is mostly suburban. It mostly dosnt run on freight lines but some do. But I runs fairly on time.

My experience is limited, but in that limited experience, it seems like the morning trains run according to a schedule, but by the afternoon, good luck predicting the inbound trains especially.

Really only on the lines going into Indiana. I have ridden the Metra a lot and only very rarely had issues.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 pm

What is up with this new trend of professors only being available to answer questions during reading week and not during finals?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:31 pm

captainplanet wrote:What is up with this new trend of professors only being available to answer questions during reading week and not during finals?

That's been pretty standard my three years.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
captainplanet wrote:What is up with this new trend of professors only being available to answer questions during reading week and not during finals?

That's been pretty standard my three years.

Seriously? So have I just gotten lucky with awesome professors in every semester but this one?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 pm

I've been wondering this for three years: What's the deal with the Warhol in the library? It is a less valuable version somehow? Because other Mao prints have sold for millions of dollars, and that thing's just slapped up on the wall under a plastic cover.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm

By the time I graduate law school my wife will still have 2 years left on her PhD in Chicago, so I want to stay in Chicago for biglaw. Do students bid 100% Chicago? Is doing so a recipe for absolute doom?

How's the new Harry's cafe? Who's Harry?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:54 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:By the time I graduate law school my wife will still have 2 years left on her PhD in Chicago, so I want to stay in Chicago for biglaw. Do students bid 100% Chicago? Is doing so a recipe for absolute doom?

New Harrys is nice and big. The new menu is hit-or-miss, and the service is still working out kinks (friendly but disorganized).

I have a vague and possibly inaccurate impression that Harry was a dean of the law school, but I can't remember a particular name.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:By the time I graduate law school my wife will still have 2 years left on her PhD in Chicago, so I want to stay in Chicago for biglaw. Do students bid 100% Chicago? Is doing so a recipe for absolute doom?

Worry about bidding after 1L.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Its safer to bid Chicago and NYC, but everything will depend on grades so don't worry about it for another year.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I've been wondering this for three years: What's the deal with the Warhol in the library? It is a less valuable version somehow? Because other Mao prints have sold for millions of dollars, and that thing's just slapped up on the wall under a plastic cover.

It's important to remember that Warhol/Lichtenstein and, to an extent, Rauschenberg produced an ungodly amount of silkscreen prints. Basically, the Warhol's that you see go for $$$ are his oil paintings . . . not the mass produced prints (although those are expensive too, don't get me wrong). But yeah, it's pretty common to see Warhol & Lichtenstein's just hanging around and not, say, a Jasper Johns just chillin' in the corner of the library. Pop Art blows though so don't call me an expert.

edit: see http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2014/02/13/f ... paintings/

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Cobretti wrote:

Its safer to bid Chicago and NYC, but everything will depend on grades so don't worry about it for another year.

Don't know how this will track for other years, but during our cycle you needed better than average grades if you were dead set on litigation only.

SA2014

Postby SA2014 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 pm

J
Last edited by SA2014 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:12 pm

SA2014 wrote:Just a thought, but with the bar exam coming up, any 3L's besides me thinking about not attending convocation?

It's like 3 hours, 2 months before the bar exam, when most people aren't even studying yet.

Don't go if you don't want to, but the bar exam is irrelevant.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Is there a place on campus I can print before 9 a.m. on weekends (library's closed)? Is the office area across from Student Services with the printer open on weekends?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 pm

captainplanet wrote:Is there a place on campus I can print before 9 a.m. on weekends (library's closed)? Is the office area across from Student Services with the printer open on weekends?

LM basement has one in room 03 (in between study rooms 01 and 05). I think Follies uses it as overflow storage, so don't be intimidated by the shelves of random stuff...the printer is tucked back there. It's available on NUPrint just like the library printers.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:47 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
captainplanet wrote:Is there a place on campus I can print before 9 a.m. on weekends (library's closed)? Is the office area across from Student Services with the printer open on weekends?

LM basement has one in room 03 (in between study rooms 01 and 05). I think Follies uses it as overflow storage, so don't be intimidated by the shelves of random stuff...the printer is tucked back there. It's available on NUPrint just like the library printers.

I would probably print a test sheet before you hit the green download button on exam. That printer is prone to being broken.

checkin2014

Postby checkin2014 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:13 am

AJD check in.
Class schedule is up for us:

Contracts :Tiller
CLR: Christopher Martin
Civil Procedure: Redish
Property: Yuracko
Torts: Friedman

Any suggestions? Warnings? Recommended supplements?
Also, anybody with outlines? :) (I understand there is an “outline bank”, but do AJDs have access to it?)

Thank you in advance.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 am

There's also a printer (and a fax machine) across from Student Services.

Redish is sweet.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 pm

checkin2014 wrote:AJD check in.

Also, anybody with outlines? :) (I understand there is an “outline bank”, but do AJDs have access to it?)

Thank you in advance.

Redish is a legal rockstar, and Martin is an awesome dude.

You won't have any problem obtaining outlines and getting access to the various outline banks once you get started. Until then, enjoy your time off before you get started 8)

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you in advance.

Current AJD student here. We have an AJD-specific outline bank that you'll have access to, which is really helpful in the summer because some of the professors teach the classes a little differently in the shorter semester we have. You'll also have access to the other outline banks.

Martin is really nice, Redish is awesome. I don't think Yuracko or Friedman have taught the AJD classes before, so I don't think we'll have outlines for them. Good luck!

checkin2014

Postby checkin2014 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:18 pm

captainplanet wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Current AJD student here. We have an AJD-specific outline bank that you'll have access to, which is really helpful in the summer because some of the professors teach the classes a little differently in the shorter semester we have. You'll also have access to the other outline banks.

Martin is really nice, Redish is awesome. I don't think Yuracko or Friedman have taught the AJD classes before, so I don't think we'll have outlines for them. Good luck!

Thanks!!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 am

How much does the student health insurance cost? The price is not available on the website (think it's Aetna).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”