Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
feralinfant

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby feralinfant » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:19 pm

I just find that there's an "Everyone's crazy but me" quality to the shirts.

I wasn't aware of the chronic virginity though. Now that I am, I think the appropriate response is empathy and unqualified support for the victims of this tragic epidemic, not butt hurt at the negative externalities arising from it. It's sad there isn't a coalition of student groups hosting a vigil orgy for this real problem right here in our community.

M458

Postby M458 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 pm

feralinfant wrote:I just find that there's an "Everyone's crazy but me" quality to the shirts.

I wasn't aware of the chronic virginity though. Now that I am, I think the appropriate response is empathy and unqualified support for the victims of this tragic epidemic, not butt hurt at the negative externalities arising from it. It's sad there isn't a coalition of student groups hosting a vigil orgy for this real problem right here in our community.

There is. Tonight's bar review is an intervention for the virginity.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:57 pm

feralinfant wrote:I just find that there's an "Everyone's crazy but me" quality to the shirts.

Its a certain breed of delusional arrogant selfishness that I thought (hoped) was unique to shitboomers.

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm

At least the boomers had social mores to blame for their virginity.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure it's fair to call them virgins.. They could be asexual.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Ya'll are pretty butthurt over a harmless t-shirt.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure it's fair to call them virgins.. They could be asexual.

But why do they all skip leg day?

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ya'll are pretty butthurt over a harmless t-shirt.

My butt always hurts, but I think that's the hemorrhoids and anal.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Weren't you the one rather butthurt over a letter to the editor?

It would be one thing if it was some random saying that you pulled out of nowhere, it's an entirely different thing when your class has had a hard-on for 2016 for the last 18 months.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 pm

mikejones2813308004 wrote:

It would be one thing if it was some random saying that you pulled out of nowhere, it's an entirely different thing when your class has had a hard-on for 2016 for the last 18 months.

Does anyone else have a rage boner right now?

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:11 am

Northwestern's site has total COL (all costs other than tuition) at around $21k a year. How generous is that, and how much could someone trim if they were looking to live cheap?

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:50 am

Fitz51 wrote:
mikejones2813308004 wrote:

Does anyone else have a raging boner right now?

FIFY. And, the answer is yes.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:02 am

Flips88 wrote:Like most people interested in human rights law and civil rights law before going to law school, you will eventually learn that jobs for that either do not exist or are very hard to get or pay very bad relative to your debt burden from law school. I don't even get what you mean about big law and arbitration but I assure you that's not a viable career path either.

Civil rights jobs exist and are possible to get, it's just a much different process than what other people at NU go through.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:06 am

Also Streeterville is awful and I regret the year I lived there.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:51 pm

While we're on the topic of sweeping generalizations of entire swaths of people based on their class year...is it just me, or are the LLMs coming off as particularly dense on the listserv this year?

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Also Streeterville is awful and I regret the year I lived there.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm looking at places and liked the idea of being close to the school/classmates for the first year.

Due to work savings/scholarship, cost really shouldn't be an issue for me for at least the first year (I won't need loans). Also, by "won't be an issue" I mean I can afford a studio near the school, not a deluxe 1br.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Dog wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Also Streeterville is awful and I regret the year I lived there.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm looking at places and liked the idea of being close to the school/classmates for the first year.

Due to work savings/scholarship, cost really shouldn't be an issue for me for at least the first year (I won't need loans). Also, by "won't be an issue" I mean I can afford a studio near the school, not a deluxe 1br.

"Being close to the school" is really overrated and only matters for about the last 2 weeks or so of the semester. Streeterville is an overpriced shit hole and you can never really decompress down there. Public transportation makes getting to school a non-issue, dude. Don't torture yourself by living in Dipshit Central.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 pm

But you'll miss local favorites Boca Di Peppo, Piewei, and Panera Bread

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Dog wrote:

"Being close to the school" is really overrated and only matters for about the last 2 weeks or so of the semester. Streeterville is an overpriced shit hole and you can never really decompress down there. Public transportation makes getting to school a non-issue, dude. Don't torture yourself by living in Dipshit Central.

Where would you recommend?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Dog wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Dog wrote:

Where would you recommend?

There are a lot of good options depending on the type of neighborhood you like. If you like yuppies and gays, Lakeview is solid. If you want to be in the thick of the bar scene and have a ton of restaurants, old town is great. If you like greek things and date rape, Wrigleyville is a great option. If you like yuppies and eastern european people but not high rises, river west and ukranian village. If you bathe in patchouli and enjoy moral relativism, try bucktown.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Streeterville is not per se awful. It's awful if you value being close to restaurants/bars more than being close to school. Only you know your own mind on that topic. For some reason, people who don't like Streeterville feel VERY STRONGLY that their opinion is the only valid one. Both opinions are perfectly valid; only you can decide for yourself whether the convenience outweighs the boring local nightlife.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:For some reason, people who don't like Streeterville feel VERY STRONGLY that their opinion is the only valid one.

That's because it is. Hell, most of the people who never dislodged themselves from the rotten tit of that neighborhood admit it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I am glad I was near school my first year (lived in streeterville), and am super glad to be where I am now (Lakeview). Streeterville doesn't have much to do, so just take that into account. It "feels" like dorms, which can be very conducive to getting work done. As long as you get out of there on the weekends and such I think it's a pretty good bet for those who can afford it.

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I am glad I was near school my first year (lived in streeterville), and am super glad to be where I am now (Lakeview). Streeterville doesn't have much to do, so just take that into account. It "feels" like dorms, which can be very conducive to getting work done. As long as you get out of there on the weekends and such I think it's a pretty good bet for those who can afford it.

That was pretty much the reasoning I was using. I thought it might help me be more productive/efficient during the first year, which is considered really important. Then after getting used to the city/getting 1L grades/meeting people I'd head farther away.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:51 am

bjsesq wrote:There are a lot of good options depending on the type of neighborhood you like. If you like yuppies and gays, Lakeview is solid. If you want to be in the thick of the bar scene and have a ton of restaurants, old town is great. If you like greek things and date rape, Wrigleyville is a great option. If you like yuppies and eastern european people but not high rises, river west and ukranian village. If you bathe in patchouli and enjoy moral relativism, try bucktown.

Lake view resident. Can confirm it's a wonderful world of gays and yuppies. It's also 20m (10-15 without traffic or if you live close to Belmont) to school on the express bus if you live close to the lake. Studios under 1000 are easy to come by.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”