Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
carbo09

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby carbo09 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:28 am

Hey guys, going to be a 1L next year and I've started looking for a place to live. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Lincoln Park/Old Town area; what is a solid price for a place there?

I have a dog so it'll need to be a pet friendly place.

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:44 pm

carbo09 wrote:Hey guys, going to be a 1L next year and I've started looking for a place to live. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Lincoln Park/Old Town area; what is a solid price for a place there?

Old Town is an awesome area, as is Lincoln Park. You should be able to get a decent 1bd/1bath for $1,300 or so (further north you go the cheaper it gets). I recommend getting in contact with a property management company. It was totally free because the agent will get commission if they are successful with renting a unit to you. They spent 5hrs driving me around Chicago and showing me all sorts of apartments. All you need to do is give them a price range and your "must haves" -- i.e. pet friendly. It's a little early to be trying to lock down a unit though unless you are planning on moving early. Most places you can only rent a max of about 45 days out BUT it never hurts to start looking early. The company I used was http://sspchicago.com/2012/

Hope that helps!

carbo09

Postby carbo09 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:15 pm

herrowww wrote:
carbo09 wrote:Hey guys, going to be a 1L next year and I've started looking for a place to live. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the Lincoln Park/Old Town area; what is a solid price for a place there?

Old Town is an awesome area, as is Lincoln Park. You should be able to get a decent 1bd/1bath for $1,300 or so (further north you go the cheaper it gets). I recommend getting in contact with a property management company. It was totally free because the agent will get commission if they are successful with renting a unit to you. They spent 5hrs driving me around Chicago and showing me all sorts of apartments. All you need to do is give them a price range and your "must haves" -- i.e. pet friendly. It's a little early to be trying to lock down a unit though unless you are planning on moving early. Most places you can only rent a max of about 45 days out BUT it never hurts to start looking early. The company I used was http://sspchicago.com/2012/

Hope that helps!

Awesome! Thanks!

Did you guys room with someone else in the law school or friends who happen to live in Chicago? I'm actually looking to move to the city June or July, I know most people won't move to the city until probably Aug 1. I have a friend there June 1-July 31 for an internship so if I find a nice 2 bedroom with more bang for you buck I wouldn't mind moving June 1 and then looking for a roommate to move in Aug 1.

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:00 pm

carbo09 wrote:
herrowww wrote:
carbo09 wrote:

Awesome! Thanks!

Did you guys room with someone else in the law school or friends who happen to live in Chicago? I'm actually looking to move to the city June or July, I know most people won't move to the city until probably Aug 1. I have a friend there June 1-July 31 for an internship so if I find a nice 2 bedroom with more bang for you buck I wouldn't mind moving June 1 and then looking for a roommate to move in Aug 1.

I know a handful of people who reached out on the NU admitted students FB group and found roommates that way. Also, if you plan on coming to admitted students weekend (which you 100% should) then you can put some feelers out there and maybe meet someone cool to room with because a LOT Of people were looking for roommates at ASW. Don't be afraid to strike up a convo with people about it.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:43 am

id recommend living in streeterville as a 1L, it's worth the price increase (for most people).

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:06 pm

It's a choice for sure. If commuting is no big deal (CTA is great) then it definitely makes sense to save $500 a month on rent and taking the Red Line.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:30 pm

splitsplat wrote:

id recommend living in streeterville as a 1L, it's worth the price increase (for most people).

streeterville sucks. cop a place in old town and take a bus.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:36 pm

I would rather live close to the place where I have to go every day and commute to the fun places that I go occasionally, than live near the bars and parks and whatever that I only go to sometimes and have to drag my ass on a commute to school every single day.

Streeterville is lame, but it's SO NICE to be close to campus. When it's -15°F windchill or 90°F and 90% humidity outside and you only had to walk three blocks to go to campus for an hour, it makes total sense. You can always take a bus to the more fun things.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I would rather live close to the place where I have to go every day and commute to the fun places that I go occasionally, than live near the bars and parks and whatever that I only go to sometimes and have to drag my ass on a commute to school every single day.

Streeterville is lame, but it's SO NICE to be close to campus. When it's -15°F windchill or 90°F and 90% humidity outside and you only had to walk three blocks to go to campus for an hour, it makes total sense. You can always take a bus to the more fun things.

There is a cost component. Streeterville rent blows the student loan budget for rent well out of the water. You'll have to make drastic cuts to other parts of the budget or get some extra cash.

But, you'll end up just sticking to streerville bars and restaurants if you are in streetville all the time. They are more expensive and shittier than the rest of the city. So ya, you could take a 30 minute bus to a place with decent food and back, you never will.

I find that almost without exception, the people who lived in Chicago and don't like it, all stayed in Streeterville / River North / Loop.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I would rather live close to the place where I have to go every day and commute to the fun places that I go occasionally, than live near the bars and parks and whatever that I only go to sometimes and have to drag my ass on a commute to school every single day.

There is a cost component. Streeterville rent blows the student loan budget for rent well out of the water. You'll have to make drastic cuts to other parts of the budget or get some extra cash.

But, you'll end up just sticking to streerville bars and restaurants if you are in streetville all the time. They are more expensive and shittier than the rest of the city. So ya, you could take a 30 minute bus to a place with decent food and back, you never will.

I find that almost without exception, the people who lived in Chicago and don't like it, all stayed in Streeterville / River North / Loop.

i like chicago and ive lived in streeterville whole time

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

(not a logic masterman)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

The things I don't like about Streeterville are not the reasons I hate Chicago.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

(not a logic masterman)

whoooooooosh lol

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

How can anyone hate Chicago?

Ok, the weather. But everything else rules.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 pm

star fox wrote:How can anyone hate Chicago?

Ok, the weather. But everything else rules.

My reasons are not particularly common and have been rehashed many times. Suffice it to say that I grew up in Oregon and I hate many of the ways that here differs from there and I can't wait to go home.

(Incidentally, I don't particularly hate the winters, but I do hate the summers.)

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Streeterville blows don't live there unless you consider yourself to be a boring person

M458

Postby M458 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Commuting during the winter builds character. Don't live in Streeterville and enjoy the extra $4-6k a year.

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 am

What proportion of 1Ls would you say live in streeterville? I'm currently in Lakeview, and my main concern is that, as a naturally lazy/antisocial person, I'm going to skip out on random socializing if it's inconvenient.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 am

In defense of Streeterville: Americans tend to discount how much they dislike commuting because it's hard to tangibly imagine:

“People with long journeys to and from work are systematically worse off and report significantly lower subjective well-being,” Stutzer told me. According to the economic concept of equilibrium, people will move or change jobs to make up for imbalances in compensation. Commute time should be offset by higher pay or lower living costs, or a better standard of living. It is this last category that people apparently have trouble measuring. They tend to overvalue the material fruits of their commute—money, house, prestige—and to undervalue what they’re giving up: sleep, exercise, fun.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/ ... back-again

I lived in Streeterville and it was fine. I highly value: (a) getting more sleep, (b) not having to hang around in the afternoon between classes, (c) not suffering in the winter, (d) not having to pack a lunch.

If you value those things, Streeterville is TCR, even beyond 1L.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 am

parkslope wrote:In defense of Streeterville: Americans tend to discount how much they dislike commuting because it's hard to tangibly imagine:

“People with long journeys to and from work are systematically worse off and report significantly lower subjective well-being,” Stutzer told me. According to the economic concept of equilibrium, people will move or change jobs to make up for imbalances in compensation. Commute time should be offset by higher pay or lower living costs, or a better standard of living. It is this last category that people apparently have trouble measuring. They tend to overvalue the material fruits of their commute—money, house, prestige—and to undervalue what they’re giving up: sleep, exercise, fun.

I lived in Streeterville and it was fine. I highly value: (a) getting more sleep, (b) not having to hang around in the afternoon between classes, (c) not suffering in the winter, (d) not having to pack a lunch.

One nice thing about hanging around campus when you live far is being forced into being productive between classes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:41 am

star fox wrote:
parkslope wrote:In defense of Streeterville: Americans tend to discount how much they dislike commuting because it's hard to tangibly imagine:

One nice thing about hanging around campus when you live far is being forced into being productive between classes.

Speak for yourself. I'm perfectly capable of wasting hours watching Netflix and Hulu on my laptop on campus.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The class of 2015 shirt design hit the listserv today. the back says:

Making up for 2014
Apologizing for 2016

Class warfare.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:45 pm

KremeCheez wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The class of 2015 shirt design hit the listserv today. the back says:

Making up for 2014
Apologizing for 2016

Class warfare.

Class of 2015 never not being insufferable virgins

genericblandacct

Postby genericblandacct » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:

Making up for 2014
Apologizing for 2016

Class warfare.

Class of 2015 never not being insufferable virgins

They're basically walking around with a shirt that says: "We hate/are better than everyone we went to school with."

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm

It's a shame that a lack of sexual experiences has to cause divisions among the classes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”