Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bananasplit19

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 am

lemons wrote:sorry if this is a dumb question, but does our LR have grade-on and write on? How many spots are there for each class year?

10 spots are purely write-on, regardless of GPA. The remaining spots are determined by both your write-on score and your GPA.

I asked last year, and evidently they fill up the write-on/GPA combo slots first. So, if you have a low GPA, you don't have to worry about some or all of those 10 write-on only spots getting filled up by someone with a high write-on and GPA.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:57 am

I think some people are minimizing the benefit of being able to skip write-on, which is a fairly terrible way to spend the better part of the week after exams.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I think some people are minimizing the benefit of being able to skip write-on, which is a fairly terrible way to spend the better part of the week after exams.

But nobody actually does. Also JTIP gives NO OFFERS.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I think some people are minimizing the benefit of being able to skip write-on, which is a fairly terrible way to spend the better part of the week after exams.

~5 days of annoying write on competition well worth NULR boost during OCI

EDIT: and added bar swagger

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 am

How does writing competition work?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:30 am

I didn't do provisional, is write on significantly worse? Also, at least with write on the stress of finals is over, with provisional it cuts into studying time for important 1L grades.
With that said yeah that week totally sucks, but everyone does it and you just get it over with.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 am

If you really just want JTIP, IHR, LSP, you can half ass the wright on and get it anyway.

If you wanna gun for law review, you won't take your offer anyway.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 am

star fox wrote:How does writing competition work?

After exams are over, you pick up a big packet of papers (our year it was like 300-some pages). There's an editing/bluebooking exercise to complete, and most of the rest of the packet is research sources on a specific topic. Then you write a case note (is it always a case note?) on a specific case or question or whatever they tell you to do, under a word limit.

I think I got jimmy johns delivered 5 days in a row during write-on. :P

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 am

i did mine in 20 hours and then got JTIP after they no offered me. lol

marcopolo1254

Postby marcopolo1254 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 pm

NY8456 wrote:Last year (and based on discussions with previous members, this is sounds like pretty much the norm), I heard that every participant (literally 100%) was offered membership on either their first or second choice of journal.

Thanks for the advice all. If everyone gets their second choice, then these provisional problems don't sound like a good way to spend my time. It makes more sense to study than spend my time doing grunt work for a secondary journal. I'll just do the write on. At least then the time I spend getting on a journal won't take time away from exam prep.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Uh, bro...

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Uh, bro...

Did you do a stupid provisional membership? No.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:11 pm

True. I lol'd when you idiots did the provisional shit, and lol'd when you actually did it again.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:14 pm

tbf, journal isn't that bad when you do minimal effort and you hate taking paper classes. It'll serve as a three draft paper requirement and isn't graded. So you can turn in a steaming pile of shit.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:tbf, journal isn't that bad when you do minimal effort and you hate taking paper classes. It'll serve as a three draft paper requirement and isn't graded. So you can turn in a steaming pile of shit.

My writing requirement was fulfilled with a 20 page steaming pile of shit and an A. You find a good prof who let's you identify early on what it is you want from this (i.e. little effort from you and no time commitment from them) and things are great. I spent a total of maybe 15 hours on my big paper.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:tbf, journal isn't that bad when you do minimal effort and you hate taking paper classes. It'll serve as a three draft paper requirement and isn't graded. So you can turn in a steaming pile of shit.

My writing requirement was fulfilled with a 20 page steaming pile of shit and an A. You find a good prof who let's you identify early on what it is you want from this (i.e. little effort from you and no time commitment from them) and things are great. I spent a total of maybe 15 hours on my big paper.

Yeah I've written a 3 draft paper for an A and 3 units (although I did journal too so I guess that just makes me a fucking sucker...)

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 pm

u can't just take seminars and do 1 pg reading responses x20 = 20 pg writing requirement?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm

fats provolone wrote:u can't just take seminars and do 1 pg reading responses x20 = 20 pg writing requirement?

I've never heard of any class doing that.

There's a class this term that claimed to have an 8-page paper requirement, but I think the registrar has come down on that and increased it to the usual 15-page requirement.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:54 pm

For my second and third JTIP drafts I just hit "Accept all changes" from my "Advisor"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:For my second and third JTIP drafts I just hit "Accept all changes" from my "Advisor"

I didn't get any useful feedback or edits from mine.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:For my second and third JTIP drafts I just hit "Accept all changes" from my "Advisor"

I didn't get any useful feedback or edits from mine.

I wouldn't know, never checked.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 pm

fats provolone wrote:u can't just take seminars and do 1 pg reading responses x20 = 20 pg writing requirement?

I did have one patent law seminar that had the option of 8 5 page reading responses or 1 40 page paper.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:16 am

I have a few questions about working while studying.

First - are 1Ls allowed to work part-time at all while attending NU or is there a policy against that? (already accepting the fact that it's never recommended).

Second - how many people do you know that do hold down jobs during term time. What are your impressions of how well they seem to be able to balance this?

Third - how is the job market there? for part-time term time jobs/ summer jobs/ post-law school jobs etc.

I am originally from Atlanta and have been living in DC now for a couple years. Wondering what moving to and surviving in Chicago would look like.

Thanks in advance. (and apologies if these questions have all been answered. I went through several pages in this thread but damn)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am

kendallr12 wrote:I have a few questions about working while studying.

First - are 1Ls allowed to work part-time at all while attending NU or is there a policy against that? (already accepting the fact that it's never recommended).

Second - how many people do you know that do hold down jobs during term time. What are your impressions of how well they seem to be able to balance this?

Third - how is the job market there? for part-time term time jobs/ summer jobs/ post-law school jobs etc.

I am originally from Atlanta and have been living in DC now for a couple years. Wondering what moving to and surviving in Chicago would look like.

Thanks in advance. (and apologies if these questions have all been answered. I went through several pages in this thread but damn)

(1) 20 hours max, as per ABA rules.
(2) I didn't know anyone who had a job 1L year. By 2L or 3L, plenty of people had externships and a few even continued their summer firm jobs part-time into the year. Students can work at the library desk part-time. But I still can't think of anyone who had a regular outside job (I'm sure there were a few).
(3) I'll let other people answer this one.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 pm

Anybody know how lenient the curve is in Pierre legrand's comparative law class? It's under 40, but just wondering if he's one of those profs who DGAF and curves anyway. He strikes me as a stickler on that kind of thing

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”