Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Does clinic work count for public service hours? (for the graduation neck cord thing, not the NY bar pro bono requirement)

No for required hours. Yes for hours over the requirement.
Examples of service that counts towards your goal: any hours worked in the public interest, criminal, civil government practicums, or legal clinic courses over the amount required for course credit.

The requirement typically being, IIRC (so I could be wrong on this), 12 hours/week for a 13 week course.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Does clinic work count for public service hours? (for the graduation neck cord thing, not the NY bar pro bono requirement)

Examples of service that counts towards your goal: any hours worked in the public interest, criminal, civil government practicums, or legal clinic courses over the amount required for course credit.

The requirement typically being, IIRC (so I could be wrong on this), 12 hours/week for a 13 week course.

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

I don't exactly keep track of my time spent on clinic stuff. I should probably do that.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

I don't exactly keep track of my time spent on clinic stuff. I should probably do that.

I know very few people who used clinic for the 50 pro bono hours.

Volunteer for livehelp. I managed to get like 30 hours in the 3 weeks before graduation and had 20 hours already. Seriously. I worked from home, had the TV on and answered basci questions about the IL legal aid website.

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:40 pm

MonsterTRM

Postby MonsterTRM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm a 3L here at NU, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to take crim pro next semester. I'm doing transactional law next year, but I kind of want to take crim pro because I find it interesting.

Also, am I going to get rocked because it's open to 1Ls and I'm not going to care nearly as much about grades? I looked at enrollment last year, and no 3Ls were in the course. Thoughts?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Take whatever you want. If you want to take something because it's interesting, do it. Whether you're going to get a bad grade is more dependent on the prof and the curve than if there are 1Ls in the class.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:04 pm

MonsterTRM wrote:I'm a 3L here at NU, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to take crim pro next semester. I'm doing transactional law next year, but I kind of want to take crim pro because I find it interesting.

Also, am I going to get rocked because it's open to 1Ls and I'm not going to care nearly as much about grades? I looked at enrollment last year, and no 3Ls were in the course. Thoughts?

It's open to 1Ls but i think 3 of the 4 1L sections have a time conflict with it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:34 pm

MonsterTRM wrote:I'm a 3L here at NU, and I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to take crim pro next semester. I'm doing transactional law next year, but I kind of want to take crim pro because I find it interesting.

Took Con Crim Pro as a 3L. Loved it and did just fine even with 1Ls.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm

It's also a class 1Ls are strongly discouraged from taking, so that shouldn't be a concern.

cowabunga85

Postby cowabunga85 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Professor Koppelman? What type of grader is he?

SA2014

Postby SA2014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

T
Last edited by SA2014 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Elana Nightingale Dawson: Is she the new normal for NU? I saw she was an AJD-- the AJDs must be doing well! Any thoughts from current students?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:49 pm

DiniMae wrote:Elana Nightingale Dawson: Is she the new normal for NU? I saw she was an AJD-- the AJDs must be doing well! Any thoughts from current students?

I'm confused by this question. Are you talking about the fact that she is a Bristol Fellow? A clerk? That she finished the bar exam while in the middle of giving labor to her son? Because I think clerking is somewhat common among high ranking students at NU, Bristol Fellows I have no idea (but apparently that was the 2nd year in a row we've had one), and the giving birth thing is definitely not likely to be the new normal.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:41 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Elana Nightingale Dawson: Is she the new normal for NU? I saw she was an AJD-- the AJDs must be doing well! Any thoughts from current students?

I'm confused by this question. Are you talking about the fact that she is a Bristol Fellow? A clerk? That she finished the bar exam while in the middle of giving labor to her son? Because I think clerking is somewhat common among high ranking students at NU, Bristol Fellows I have no idea (but apparently that was the 2nd year in a row we've had one), and the giving birth thing is definitely not likely to be the new normal.

I meant the BF --> SCOTUS and being an AJD (not labor). I did hear of a guy earlier getting BF, but he wasn't AJD. I haven't heard too much about AJD and the few alumni I've talked to shrug it off as an interesting experiment. It was just nice to see someone do so well coming from a new program (when she enrolled).

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:56 pm

DiniMae wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I meant the BF --> SCOTUS and being an AJD (not labor). I did hear of a guy earlier getting BF, but he wasn't AJD. I haven't heard too much about AJD and the few alumni I've talked to shrug it off as an interesting experiment. It was just nice to see someone do so well coming from a new program (when she enrolled).

From my experiences with AJDs, they've been pretty much like other NU students. I don't think they were ever in danger of being disadvantaged because of their program, but I'm not sure how much being an AJD had to do with her success (versus her just being a smart, hard working person to begin with).

Calvin Murphy

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Not that it really makes a difference, but when do grades typically come out? Are they all released at once?

I just want to know if I should forget about it until after Christmas, forget about it until late January, or somewhere in between.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Fall 2013 grades came out 1/17/14, 29 days after the exams ended.
Spring 2014 grades came out 6/6/2014, also 29 days after exams.

Both were Fridays. So Friday, January 16, 2015 is your best bet.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I think it's sweet that an AJD can go BF + SCOTUS and it's really a testament to the strength of our program. I was hesitant to go the AJD route because I didn't know how prospective employers would view the 2-yr program but we know that - at least for some - it doesn't really hold anyone back.

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:19 pm

SA2014 wrote:To You 1L's:

I know your brains pretty fried by now, but if you haven't planned already, the moment after your last exam, start searching for your summer 2015 job. Don't get caught flatfooted like I did in my 1L spring, worrying where the heck I would be going.

What do 2L/3L's recommend for the best ways to get an internship? If I want to eventually work in a certain location, is it important for me to get a 1L internship there?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 pm

personofinterest wrote:What do 2L/3L's recommend for the best ways to get an internship? If I want to eventually work in a certain location, is it important for me to get a 1L internship there?

Just apply everywhere. It's not that difficult to get an unpaid 1L summer internship.

Ideally you should spend 1L summer where you want to work after graduation, especially if it's a more insular or competitive market.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Does anyone know how the grading or curve work for Corporations because it's in Kellogg? I heard somewhere that they only give flat grades (i.e. just A, B, C and not A-/B+) and I have no idea if it's true.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:43 am

Mullens wrote:Does anyone know how the grading or curve work for Corporations because it's in Kellogg? I heard somewhere that they only give flat grades (i.e. just A, B, C and not A-/B+) and I have no idea if it's true.

Kellogg scale is 40% A, 50% B, 10% C

No +/-

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 am

Presser grades his Corporations class on a law school curve though (he grades the bschool people separately). Don't know if this also applies to you though.

lemons

Postby lemons » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:27 am

anyone know of any classes open to 1Ls that don't require an exam/have a paper option? I know Law & Social Change has a paper option but I'm hoping to find a second elective with a paper option or that is likely to be uncurved.

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:13 am

Hey guys I'm headed to Northwestern this year and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the process for signing up for classes? I know there is a bit of a bidding system at NU but I don't know anything about it. Also, I really don't know much about sections. I understand it's a grouping system but I'm clueless beyond that.

Will I just get thrown into some section and end up taking a predetermined schedule of courses with other people thrown into my section? I saw on the website 1Ls get to take two electives. If anyone could tell me a bit about how signing up for classes works and the purpose of sections I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”