Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mullens

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Mullens » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Listing named scholarship information is fine - some law firms even include scholarship information in their associate bios (non-Hamilton/Ruby/Levy/Wigmore/etc ones too). Don't think about it too much - it's just one line on the resume that people gloss over while looking for dat GPA.

Do you know how to find out if our scholarship is named? Should I already know as a 1L?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Mullens wrote:Do you know how to find out if our scholarship is named? Should I already know as a 1L?

As another poster mentioned above you'll eventually receive an email from the Office of Alumni Relations & Development asking you to write a thank you note. I received my notice kind of late . . . sometime in the Summer, I believe.

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Mullens wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Listing named scholarship information is fine - some law firms even include scholarship information in their associate bios (non-Hamilton/Ruby/Levy/Wigmore/etc ones too). Don't think about it too much - it's just one line on the resume that people gloss over while looking for dat GPA.

Do you know how to find out if our scholarship is named? Should I already know as a 1L?

If you have a named scholarship, they will eventually tell you. Some people have no specific scholarship.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Is there any reason not to take two perspectives classes as a 1L?

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:24 am

anyone know/willing to share the apalsa outline bank password? a classmate is constantly bragging about how it is the best outline bank for NU and i'm curious if it is as great as she is making it sound

eta: if this is a totally inappropriate question, i'll delete this, just let me know

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 am

lemons wrote:anyone know/willing to share the apalsa outline bank password? a classmate is constantly bragging about how it is the best outline bank for NU and i'm curious if it is as great as she is making it sound

eta: if this is a totally inappropriate question, i'll delete this, just let me know

Ask her for her outlines (Or to get the ones you need if you're in different sections).
I would tell you the password but I don't know it.

LePeanut

Postby LePeanut » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 am

Does anyone have a DiCola torts outline or a Lupo contracts outline?

Thanks in advance!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:08 pm

lemons wrote:anyone know/willing to share the apalsa outline bank password? a classmate is constantly bragging about how it is the best outline bank for NU and i'm curious if it is as great as she is making it sound

Does the NULR outline bank no longer exist? I thought that was the holy grail of outline banks.

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:40 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:

Does the NULR outline bank no longer exist? I thought that was the holy grail of outline banks.

I haven't heard of the NULR outline bank... i would be happy to have the password to that too :)

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:44 pm

lemons wrote:

I haven't heard of the NULR outline bank... i would be happy to have the password to that too :)

+1

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:59 pm

jd-mbas have a pretty good outline bank too

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:59 pm

splitsplat wrote:jd-mbas have a pretty good outline bank too

So odd.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:00 pm

lemons wrote:

Honestly, you shouldn't need it. Just ask people for outlines. Whenever I took a class and needed an outline I would just mass mail the listserv and usually within 10-20 minutes I had outlines from everywhere. You can also talk to your TAs (I'm assuming you are a 1L here) and the should be able to give you some solid outlines.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Also, your classmate sounds terrible unless she is actually sharing the outlines with everyone. Like, she sounds really, really terrible.

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Icculus wrote:

Also, your classmate sounds terrible unless she is actually sharing the outlines with everyone. Like, she sounds really, really terrible.

She is really really really terrible. That's why she is my classmate and not my friend haha

But thank you to the people who PM'd me and the advice you all gave! :)

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:33 pm

lemons wrote:
Icculus wrote:

She is really really really terrible. That's why she is my classmate and not my friend haha

But thank you to the people who PM'd me and the advice you all gave! :)

or you could just join APALSA? just ask one of the co-presidents to add you to the listserve and you'll get the password

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:35 pm

God, I hated the cactuar boss.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:59 pm

anyone have a outline for Silver's BA class.

onionz

Postby onionz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:54 pm

bjsesq wrote:God, I hated the cactuar boss.

+1

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Outline for Pfanders fed jur?

I realize I am a dumbass for taking this class. I assumed taking a hard class would motivate me to do something. It has not.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on a paper class with a short writing requirement by the professor?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:40 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on a paper class with a short writing requirement by the professor?
I think all of my seminar paper length requirements have been around the same, ~25 pages.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 am

I forgot about bidding till the last day of round 2, so I didn't do much research on my classes beforehand - I just found a workable schedule worth of classes that sounded interesting or fulfilled a requirement and weren't full after round 1. I want to make sure I have a realistic sense of what I'm getting myself into (I overloaded my schedule this semester with too many time-consuming classes on top of clinic and journal, and I want to avoid the same mistake this time around).

My current class enrollments, in descending order based on my certainty about wanting to take them:

Environmental Advocacy Center (clinic) w/ Prof. Loeb: easily the highlight of law school for me so far. In fact, I've found the work so engaging and rewarding that it has transformed my career plans and renewed my motivation to study and practice the law.

Environment, Clean Energy and Sustainable Development (writing seminar) w/ Profs. Learner & Cahan: I don't need the writing credit, but this class seems so perfectly suited to my current legal interests that it's almost eerie, and one of the two profs is also the director of a major Chicago-based environmental nonprofit that works closely with our clinic on a lot of cases (the Environmental Law and Policy Center). It's a class that falls right into my current plans for a legal specialty to build my career around, taught by the head honcho of the type of organization I would most like to work for. Taking a writing class for 2 credits is a pretty crappy time investment : credit hour ratio, but this class seems so perfectly suited to my interests and ambitions otherwise that I think I can live with that.

BA w/ Prof. Litvak: I'm not enthusiastic about the material, but it's pretty important doctrinal/foundational stuff and I know I won't want to deal with this shit as a 3L. Still pretty uncertain as to how difficult the class is and don't know anything about the prof, so any feedback would be appreciated here.

Legal Ethics w/ Prof. Foster: same basic logic as BA applies here, except that it's required to graduate. I know this class isn't terribly popular among law students, but is that because it is hard/time consuming, or just tedious and uninteresting/unhelpful material? Boring and pointless I can do, but if it's a heavy workload then maybe I ought to put it off till 3L after all.

Fed Jur w/ Prof. Kontorovich: I still can't decide if I've officially lost my mind for bidding this class or not. I was convinced I would hate Con Law after reading and hearing about Konto, but while I still disagree with most of his opinions on public policy and political philosophy, I found him surprisingly likeable as a prof. I know Fed Jur has a reputation as a rather tough class, but from briefly skimming a couple online outlines it sounds like it focuses on a lot of the topics from Civ Pro and Con Law that most people hated but I kinda enjoyed. When people say this class is hard, does that mean that it's intellectually challenging to understand and apply the material covered, or that it takes up more time than other classes due to the sheer amount of reading, graded assignments during the semester, etc.?

Legislation w/ Prof. Jacobi: I really just threw this on my bid list as a backup option, because it seems like a general subject that is applicable to almost every practice area. I don't really know much of anything about the course or the prof, and it's a 6pm-9pm class that would come right after three other classes that day. I'm enrolled in 17 credits right now so I'm leaning toward dropping this one. However, if I'm overloading myself with my other classes, I could drop one of them and keep this instead.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 am

Solistus wrote:I forgot about bidding till the last day of round 2, so I didn't do much research on my classes beforehand ...

The Learner/Cahan class is good. I recommend doing a two-draft paper.

Foster is a good professor for ethics. Make sure to make at least one comment/question in every class.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Does clinic work count for public service hours? (for the graduation neck cord thing, not the NY bar pro bono requirement)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”