Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kerflux

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby kerflux » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Fitz if you're that mad about it, why don't you address it on fb instead of complaining about it on TLS? If you're worried about her not being represented fairly, maybe you should chime in and add your opinion where it might matter. Granted, you lose your anonymity... which I guess would be a little ironic considering this all would've been avoided if homegirl had originally retained hers

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:17 pm

In Re Michelle Kennedy, as I read she was a 23 y/o woman I was reminded of the great Louis CK...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnDH-RXCptY

"You're not a woman till you've had a couple kids and your life is in the toilet...[until] people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams."

REally, anytime I can bring Louis CK to the conversation I am pretty happy.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:17 pm

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SKINNY MOTHERFUCKER SHITTING UP MY THREAD

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SKINNY MOTHERFUCKER SHITTING UP MY THREAD

I miss you most of all now that I am barely on here.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SKINNY MOTHERFUCKER SHITTING UP MY THREAD

I miss you most of all now that I am barely on here.

Love you too, dooder.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:20 pm

kerflux wrote:Fitz if you're that mad about it, why don't you address it on fb instead of complaining about it on TLS? If you're worried about her not being represented fairly, maybe you should chime in and add your opinion where it might matter. Granted, you lose your anonymity... which I guess would be a little ironic considering this all would've been avoided if homegirl had originally retained hers

Some of us have seen the post but can't reply on Facebook because we aren't friends on Facebook with the person in question.

The one thing I've learned through this all (and I'm not Michelle, for the record) is that even law students (and ex-lawyers in Elie's case) are severely lacking in their reading comprehension abilities.

The ATL article was ridiculous and the people who have commented on the Facebook post (and commented on the ATL article) have clearly either not read the Crains article or read a different one than I did. Michelle's original article was not nearly as incendiary as people are making it out to be. The ATL article was the usual crock of shit that Elie posts. The comments have been downright nasty.

Also, the Facebook post (and subsequent nonsense from the 3Ls) was pretty ridiculous. Calling out (in my opinion, wrongly) a fellow student for being insensitive and judgmental, via Facebook, was just as insensitive and judgmental, if not more. Especially considering everyone goes to the same school, maybe posting about a classmate and passing judgment (the original post and all the subsequent comments), knowing full well that she can't defend herself (she's not your friend on Facebook) isn't really the best course of action. (the "you" I'm referencing is obviously not the person I'm quoting, but I do believe the person who posted this on Facebook is posting in this thread so that's why I'm using "you")

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm

The. Plot. Fucking. Thickens.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Also, it seems that at least there were other Crain's readers that were unimpressed by their original article. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20141025/ISSUE07/310259984/readers-respond-the-millennials-screwed-or-no

Apparently link not working. Google: "Readers respond: The millennials — screwed or no?" if you want to see what the general tenor was after their article.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Whether or not we were impressed with the article was not the point, breh. Your lance is pointing in the wrong direction, brave knight.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Lulz. Pointing out that Michelle can't even respond to a bunch of her fellow classmates ragging on her (and she may not even be aware of what these people are saying) is not being her knight.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 pm

mikejones2813308004 wrote:Lulz. Pointing out that Michelle can't even respond to a bunch of her fellow classmates ragging on her (and she may not even be aware of what these people are saying) is not being her knight.

That's not the post I was responding to, you nerd.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
mikejones2813308004 wrote:Lulz. Pointing out that Michelle can't even respond to a bunch of her fellow classmates ragging on her (and she may not even be aware of what these people are saying) is not being her knight.

Ok. That's fair. But do you think that the fact that other millennials came away with a similar impression of the article is irrelevant in this debate? Considering the backlash from ATL and her classmates?

Also, you have 20,000 posts on a website that is orientated around law school. The "nerd" comment might be a bit misplaced.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:53 pm

mikejones2813308004 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Ok. That's fair. But do you think that the fact that other millennials came away with a similar impression of the article is irrelevant in this debate? Considering the backlash from ATL and her classmates?

Also, you have 20,000 posts on a website that is orientated around law school. The "nerd" comment might be a bit misplaced.

1. Nerds recognize their own, so don't think I am exempting myself from that. I'm not.
2. Absolutely I think it is irrelevant, because her idea that the article was off wasn't the problem, it was how she attacked it. You can attack the article, and there is plenty of room to, without acting as though you are Nelson Mandela and those other fucks are just quitters because you ended up at NU law. Fact is, she's probably a decent person who got pissed at generalizations and swung a little too hard.
3. Nerd rage inc: FUCKING ORIENTATED?!?!?!?!?!

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

1. Nerds recognize their own, so don't think I am exempting myself from that. I'm not.
2. Absolutely I think it is irrelevant, because her idea that the article was off wasn't the problem, it was how she attacked it. You can attack the article, and there is plenty of room to, without acting as though you are Nelson Mandela and those other fucks are just quitters because you ended up at NU law. Fact is, she's probably a decent person who got pissed at generalizations and swung a little too hard.
3. Nerd rage inc: FUCKING ORIENTATED?!?!?!?!?!

Lol on #3. This is what happens when you post on TLS when you're supposed to be participating in a small group exercise in ethics. My apologies. (not even sarcasm, I hate when people do that)

Fair on #1.

#2 is where I disagree. I truthfully didn't find her response in Crain's to be inflammatory. I didn't think she was demeaning the people in the article nor artificially elevating herself. I though Elie had a click-whore headline (and tweet) and that his article was an unfair characterization. And I think the Facebook post about this article is contributing to problem. That's what has some of us upset. Hope this post makes sense.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Elie Mystal is a trash "journalist" so I am with you, there. I actually hate most of shit dude writes. That's why I read what she wrote before commenting. It's really not that big of a deal, dude. She just worded it badly, and it came across as narcissistic. I don't hate her or anything like that. I will say that this is a solid lesson: be caaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful about writing in responses or anything like that under your real name.

mikejones2813308004

Postby mikejones2813308004 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:Elie Mystal is a trash "journalist" so I am with you, there. I actually hate most of shit dude writes. That's why I read what she wrote before commenting. It's really not that big of a deal, dude. She just worded it badly, and it came across as narcissistic. I don't hate her or anything like that. I will say that this is a solid lesson: be caaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful about writing in responses or anything like that under your real name.

Totally agree that it's not a big deal. And totally agree about not writing/commenting under your own name.

I'm only here because of the Facebook post and subsequent comments. I think they were out of line.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:Elie Mystal is a trash "journalist" so I am with you, there. I actually hate most of shit dude writes. That's why I read what she wrote before commenting. It's really not that big of a deal, dude. She just worded it badly, and it came across as narcissistic. I don't hate her or anything like that. I will say that this is a solid lesson: be caaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful about writing in responses or anything like that under your real name.

Totally agree that it's not a big deal. And totally agree about not writing/commenting under your own name.

I'm only here because of the Facebook post and subsequent comments. I think they were out of line.

Not on facebook, thank fucking god, so I'll take you at your word.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

I read what she wrote. It was short-sighted, narcissistic, and elitist. And since it was intended for public consumption, I see nothing wrong with calling the author out on that shit.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:19 pm

mikejones2813308004 wrote:The ATL article was ridiculous and the people who have commented on the Facebook post (and commented on the ATL article) have clearly either not read the Crains article or read a different one than I did. Michelle's original article was not nearly as incendiary as people are making it out to be. The ATL article was the usual crock of shit that Elie posts. The comments have been downright nasty.

FWIW, I've read the Crain article (last week) and have not read the ATL article beyond seeing that it made ATL.

wishesarefishes

Postby wishesarefishes » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Her op-ed came across very self-satisfied and unable to comprehend why other people might not be able to or want to follow the same path as her. And yea, if you put your name on something that is published, I don't think you get to complain when people publicly disagree with you.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm

kerflux wrote:Fitz if you're that mad about it, why don't you address it on fb instead of complaining about it on TLS? If you're worried about her not being represented fairly, maybe you should chime in and add your opinion where it might matter. Granted, you lose your anonymity... which I guess would be a little ironic considering this all would've been avoided if homegirl had originally retained hers

Some of us have seen the post but can't reply on Facebook because we aren't friends on Facebook with the person in question.

my b, I thought you had to be friends to view

It's pretty clear ATL isn't giving her a fair shake, but... she didn't do herself any favors with the way she wrote her op-ed. You have to make an active effort to read it in a way that doesn't sound at least a little smug, and most people aren't going to do that for you.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm

bjsesq wrote: I will say that this is a solid lesson: be caaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful about writing in responses or anything like that under your real name.

This needs to be repeated endlessly.

Also, really too notch work on being both the gang snapping agitator and the calming influence that shows us the valuable lesson. impressive internetting.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:38 am

Damn. What have I missed?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:27 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
bjsesq wrote: I will say that this is a solid lesson: be caaaaaaaaaaaaaaareful about writing in responses or anything like that under your real name.

This needs to be repeated endlessly.

Also, really too notch work on being both the gang snapping agitator and the calming influence that shows us the valuable lesson. impressive internetting.

I am ashamed to be associated with people who gave up on their internetting dreams and now get paid paltry sums of attention for their half-hearted efforts at greatness.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 pm

I knew coming onto this site that I would be risking negative exposure, and I did not allow that to discourage me. I did not give up to be a bartender or a nanny. I followed my dream. And I find it very disappointing that none of the millennials interviewed in that article were able to offer an inspiring story of following one's internet dreams, like mine, which is qualitatively better than theirs.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”