Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lhanvt13

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:1L posting on the listserv about finding $13 in cash on the floor: totally adorable <3 #northwesterndifference

I left my wallet in the clinic last night, the cleaning lady found it and gave it to the students in the work room, and one of them knows me and called me, and stayed there while I walked back to campus at 8pm to get it from her. So that was nice.

I go to such a lovely school :D

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Anyone have an Admin outline they would like to share? (preferably Fischman, but I'm also not picky)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 pm

not sure what to make of this fedsoc reception being held right before the outlaw bar review...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Cobretti wrote:not sure what to make of this fedsoc reception being held right before the outlaw bar review...

When you reach the bottom of a hole, fedsoc, stop digging.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:07 am

I know exactly what to make of it: free food.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone have an Admin outline they would like to share? (preferably Fischman, but I'm also not picky)

I had Burns but used Speta materials to make my outline after not going to class all semester (literally) and did fine, so i can share that if youd like it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:19 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone have an Admin outline they would like to share? (preferably Fischman, but I'm also not picky)

I had Burns but used Speta materials to make my outline after not going to class all semester (literally) and did fine, so i can share that if youd like it.

Thanks, but I got a couple sent to me. I appreciate it, though!

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:39 pm

0L who'll be doing a campus visit in the near future here.

Any suggestions on particular classes to sit in on? Any difference whether I pick a 1L doctrinal course or an upper-level course? I'm hoping to get something that would be representative of NU's teaching style (if that's at all different from other schools in reality) or at the very least something somewhat enjoyable/accessible to a 0L.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:47 pm

suppy183 wrote:0L who'll be doing a campus visit in the near future here.

Any suggestions on particular classes to sit in on? Any difference whether I pick a 1L doctrinal course or an upper-level course? I'm hoping to get something that would be representative of NU's teaching style (if that's at all different from other schools in reality) or at the very least something somewhat enjoyable/accessible to a 0L.

NU's teaching style isn't any different.

I guess a 1L doctrinal class is probably a better intro (warning?) to what 1L year will be like. Crim and Torts are probably the more interesting 1L topics to just drop into for a day. Upper level classes might be more interesting, topic-wise, but they vary a lot.

lemons

Postby lemons » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Depending on when you are here and how early you'll be awake, I would suggest sitting in on Shoked's property class. He's wonderful and he's really the main reason I am excited to wake up for an 8:45 am class. Feel free to pm me if you want more suggestions on what 1L classes are good and which to avoid

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

NU's teaching style isn't any different.

So is the whole B-school slant not actually a thing?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:28 pm

It's more a thing in that they try to push everyone into business law. When I told my career adviser that I was interested in plaintiff's work and didn't want big law, he legitimately didn't grasp the concept of what I was saying.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:It's more a thing in that they try to push everyone into business law. When I told my career adviser that I was interested in plaintiff's work and didn't want big law, he legitimately didn't grasp the concept of what I was saying.
FWIW, I don't think this is much of a thing anymore. The competence and effectiveness of the CSO are debatable, but they seem content to pretty much let you choose whatever path.

suppy183 wrote:So is the whole B-school slant not actually a thing?
Certainly not in the actual way classes are taught. Profs do whatever version of socratic method they like (or not). There isn't some overarching institutional focus on teaching like Kellog B-school next door. I don't even know what that would look like. (What is a B-school class like?)
There are plenty of business-focused classes, but the closest thing I've taken was FedTax, and I haven't had any trouble filling my schedule.

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Certainly not in the actual way classes are taught. Profs do whatever version of socratic method they like (or not). There isn't some overarching institutional focus on teaching like Kellog B-school next door. I don't even know what that would look like. (What is a B-school class like?)
There are plenty of business-focused classes, but the closest thing I've taken was FedTax, and I haven't had any trouble filling my schedule.

I think B-school classes are supposed to have a greater accent on class participation, group work, presentations.. that sort of thing. At least that's my impression. Anyway, glad to hear NU's approach doesn't actually differ much from other schools (if I wanted to go to business school, I would applied to business school..). It's nice that there are plenty of business-related classes though (although I wasn't under the impression that other schools had a lack of those kinds of classes for those who were interested).

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:12 pm

core doctrinal classes are just that, there's no business slant to torts/property/crim etc. to the extent there is some influence on the curriculum, it's not going to be reflected in teaching style but course offerings- there are a ton of corporate and corporate-ish electives to take and you can occasionally take some actual Kellogg classes.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:16 am

I've had two classes (law) with professors that teach both at Kellogg and at the law school and their in-class style is pretty much the same as any other law professor.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:55 am

There are just many colisted b school classes. There are also more classes aimed at transactional law. But the normal law classes are well normal.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:09 am

If you're here on Thursday or Friday afternoons, Lupo's contracts course is becoming quite quirky and engaging.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 am

I had a torts prof from UChi who made us talk about econ and efficiency every day. But I blame UChi for that more than NU.

LePeanut

Postby LePeanut » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Try to sit in on Lupo's contracts or DiCola's torts class.

nataliewood

Postby nataliewood » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Anyone have any or all of the following outlines to share/advice on these exams? Thanks in advance!

Evidence - Allen
Ethics - Foster
Corporations - Presser

skers

Postby skers » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I had a torts prof from UChi who made us talk about econ and efficiency every day. But I blame UChi for that more than NU.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Kikero wrote:

I've had two classes (law) with professors that teach both at Kellogg and at the law school and their in-class style is pretty much the same as any other law professor.

Taking a Kellogg course right now. At least for the class I'm taking right now, first half of class is somewhat lecture driven, and then it turns into a Socratic-esq style - "why did X happen; what should they have done?; what would you have done?; does this make sense on a quantitative level, or is something else a heavily influencing factor; etc."

Tl;dr - basically the same except with a tad bit more math

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:51 pm

Someone have a pfander fed jur outline?

lemons

Postby lemons » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Best (usually) uncurved classes for 1Ls? I was looking into Law & Social Change but it's scheduled at 8:25 Th/F and I just can't do that to myself.. I was also looking into First Amendment with DeSanto, Narrative Structures with Lubet, and Business Associations with Litvak. Thoughts? :wink:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”