Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:01 pm

babblefish wrote:*Hits ATL Refresh button*

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:14 pm

For those of us no longer on it, can someone post some of what's going on.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Federalist Society is hosting an event tomorrow - "Marriage: What it is, Why it Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining it" - catered by Chick-fil-a.

2L messages the entire listserv with:

Tomorrow, we, Free and Educated Disciples of Super Offensive Conservatism (FEDSOC) are holding an event entitled Marriage: What it is, Why it Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining it. We’ll be talking about the importance of maintaining anti-miscegenation laws.

And Food from:

(Insert picture of KKK here)

FEDSOC circa 1914

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

"And what do you call your act? The Aristocrats!"

/law students are the worst

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

A quick synopsis to augment Nantucket's post:

> FedSoc sends e-mail on listserv in advance of their event tomorrow, titled "Marriage: What it is, Why it Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining it." The event will feature an anti-gay Heritage Foundation scholar. Critically, the free food offered is Chick FIl-A.

> JD-PhD makes a crude copy-paste response, replacing some words with anti-FedSoc words, and, critically, replacing the Chick Fil-A logo with a picture of a KKK member standing in front of a burning cross.

> Jimmies are rustled. Many believe this is inappropriate and, frankly, doesn't even make logical sense. Others believe FedSoc brought it on themselves for offering Chick Fil-A given the event's topic.

> Everyone secretly prefers Chick Fil-A to Connie's Pizza.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:25 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:> Jimmies are rustled. Many believe this is inappropriate and, frankly, doesn't even make logical sense. Others believe FedSoc brought it on themselves for offering Chick Fil-A given the event's topic.

LLMs are my favorite listservers.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:25 pm

So excited for this shitshow

Sincerely,
A 1L who misses watching reality tv all day

M458

Postby M458 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:27 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

Openly.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:28 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:A quick synopsis to augment Nantucket's post:

> FedSoc sends e-mail on listserv in advance of their event tomorrow, titled "Marriage: What it is, Why it Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining it." The event will feature an anti-gay Heritage Foundation scholar. Critically, the free food offered is Chick FIl-A.

> JD-PhD makes a crude copy-paste response, replacing some words with anti-FedSoc words, and, critically, replacing the Chick Fil-A logo with a picture of a KKK member standing in front of a burning cross.

> Jimmies are rustled. Many believe this is inappropriate and, frankly, doesn't even make logical sense. Others believe FedSoc brought it on themselves for offering Chick Fil-A given the event's topic.

Cant wait for this tomorrow. Hope all parties involved show up

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 pm

dstars823 wrote:

Cant wait for this tomorrow. Hope all parties involved show up

If they're mad they won't go. Worst thing is to spend all your student group $$$ and no one shows up.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:45 pm

You left out the SBA telling everyone to shut up and the 3L asking SBA to cite the specific bylaw that the KKK email was violating.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Jesus fuck. Get off a plane and get 20 emails about racism, dry disgusting chicken, gay marriage, and LLMs being LLMs .

Extremely entertaining honestly

slexisl1024

Postby slexisl1024 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

You left out the SBA telling everyone to shut up and the 3L asking SBA to cite the specific bylaw that the KKK email was violating.

And the fact that there was no SBA response to that email...

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Also relevant: Tomorrow will be the first time in my life I have Chick Fil-A.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Jesus fuck. Get off a plane and get 20 emails about racism, dry disgusting chicken, gay marriage, and LLMs being LLMs .

now let's be civil...

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

This was actually my favorite part of the whole saga.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Is it just me, or are certain people incredibly sensitive? I totally see where the response to their event was coming from and what it was attempting to say, but people read that and were like OMG, HOW IS THERE A PICTURE OF THIS ON MY SCREEN RIGHT NOW, I HAVE TO GO.... I CAN'T TAKE IT. I looked at it and was like...well that was gutsy to respond in that way. Maybe I'm just crazy...

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:15 pm

zugzwanger wrote:Is it just me, or are certain people incredibly sensitive? I totally see where the response to their event was coming from and what it was attempting to say, but people read that and were like OMG, HOW IS THERE A PICTURE OF THIS ON MY SCREEN RIGHT NOW, I HAVE TO GO.... I CAN'T TAKE IT. I looked at it and was like...well that was gutsy to respond in that way. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Right there with ya buddy

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Jesus fuck. Get off a plane and get 20 emails about racism, dry disgusting chicken, gay marriage, and LLMs being LLMs .

now let's be civil...

serious, hate chick-fila for the policies of their owners and management... but insult their delicious sandwiches and you've gone too far

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Last edited by Man from Nantucket on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:Is it just me, or are certain people incredibly sensitive? I totally see where the response to their event was coming from and what it was attempting to say, but people read that and were like OMG, HOW IS THERE A PICTURE OF THIS ON MY SCREEN RIGHT NOW, I HAVE TO GO.... I CAN'T TAKE IT. I looked at it and was like...well that was gutsy to respond in that way. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Right there with ya buddy

It might be because some people don't appreciate having their organizations or other's organizations equated with the KKK. I find it interesting that the only organization this happens to (and that some people seem to be ok with it happening to) is the one conservative one at the school. I wonder what would happen if something similar happened to BLSA or OUTLaw?

Are you really that oblivious to what would have occurred after an invitation like that went out to the entire student body do you live in a bubble? Did you not think it would piss people off? I mean I hear you on it being an extreme response, but nothing I have seen from BLSA or OUTLaw is equally controversial.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:40 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

now let's be civil...

serious, hate chick-fila for the policies of their owners and management... but insult their delicious sandwiches and you've gone too far

I've yet to be convinced that their sandwiches are "juicy." I think a similar word captures the essence of their sandwiches. Let's say that word is... Cardboard-y

Here. We. Go...

detlefschrempf1

Postby detlefschrempf1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Absent the chick-fil-a nonsense, I'm excited to see a heritage foundation guy go up against a great constitutional scholar. I think it will be a good event.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:48 pm

That new email. There's gonna be so much food tomorrow

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Not crazy. Law students just love butthurt.

detlefschrempf1 wrote:Absent the chick-fil-a nonsense, I'm excited to see a heritage foundation guy go up against a great constitutional scholar. I think it will be a good event.

i wasnt even offended by the event b/c i was looking forward to watching a heavy hitter like koppelman thrash this silly person. As far as i can tell his book is one giant slippery slope argument and he needed two other guys to help him write it. Tomorrow is going to be funny.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”