Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whereskyle

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:09 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I've used the older versions of textbooks for the vast majority of my doctrinal classes. You may be missing out on specific "case notes" (which kind of but not really summarize the case you just read) but imo most of my classes were so case driven that it's 100% possible to just get by without a text book (and relying, for example, on the cases as excerpted on LearnLeo).

So you would say I can stop freaking out about waiting for fin aid money to come in before I buy books (if I should at all)?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 pm

whereskyle wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:I've used the older versions of textbooks for the vast majority of my doctrinal classes. You may be missing out on specific "case notes" (which kind of but not really summarize the case you just read) but imo most of my classes were so case driven that it's 100% possible to just get by without a text book (and relying, for example, on the cases as excerpted on LearnLeo).

So you would say I can stop freaking out about waiting for fin aid money to come in before I buy books (if I should at all)?

I got a CC specifically so I could buy books. I like having a CC but it was overkill. You can buy them during the first week and be fine. It's what I did second semester.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:Any more details on Kadens and Len?

Kadens has some very unique views on things so supplements are basically worthless in her class. With that said her text (which she writes herself and modifies every year) has everything you will need to know. Just try to keep up and don't fall behind. She's going to make examples of people the first few weeks with some insane cold calls but she will mellow out as the semester goes.

If you ever get caught not having read when you get cold called you will be in the hot seat for the entire next class also, so do your reading.

Overall she's great once you figure out her style, just gotta play the game her way and you'll do fine.

She also gives out probably the most robust model answers of any professor so prepping for her exams is extremely straightforward.

ETA: she will also tell you over and over that she doesn't want you to argue in the alternative for the exam, and that there is a right answer... this is a bold faced lie. if there is actual ambiguity ignore everything she tells you and argue both sides. when you read her model answers/memos from past tests you'll see if you don't argue in the alternative you're gonna miss half the points on every question.

Half the points? If you get half the points on every question you are setting the curve with Kadens...

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Heard kellogg co-hosted courses are on a C curve? Any truth to this?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Len's crim class was by my favorite 1L class, and was also the worst grade I ever got in law school. Len is wonderful.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Len's crim class was by my favorite 1L class, and was also the worst grade I ever got in law school. Len is wonderful.

Len is Love. Len is Life.

Chrstgtr

Postby Chrstgtr » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Any suggestions/Outlines for

Contracts-Lupo
Criminal Law-Tuerkheimer
CLR-Narko
Civil Procedure-Redish
Torts-DiCola

Thank you in advance

detlefschrempf1

Postby detlefschrempf1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:Any suggestions/Outlines for

Contracts-Lupo
Criminal Law-Tuerkheimer
CLR-Narko
Civil Procedure-Redish
Torts-DiCola

Thank you in advance

Don't fight the CLR writing style. Embrace it, it will make your life so much easier. Do not try to make sense of anything in that class. Narko is very nice.

Never miss a Lupo class, unless you have a strong dislike for incredibly entertaining stories.

Don't be afraid of Redish, he smells fear.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:Any suggestions/Outlines for

Contracts-Lupo
Criminal Law-Tuerkheimer
CLR-Narko
Civil Procedure-Redish
Torts-DiCola

Thank you in advance
Your TA for Redish should give you a bunch of stuff. If not...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzzmsex6m3cz ... yxzMa?dl=0

Have fun with Narko. A few people in the class will just automatically "get" whatever it is that she wants, while the rest of the class will remain baffled until the end. Your word limits will be even worse than most of the other sections. You can get feedback on exactly one half page before turning something in. If something has multiple drafts, you can implement every single suggestion she makes on a first draft and still get it back completely marked up, sometimes correcting her own suggestions back to what you had originally. She will grade similar papers by different people completely inconsistently. Most people will finish her class convinced that they are the most hopeless writers ever to attempt law school...and then your 1L summer employer will be delighted with your writing and tell you how excellent it is for a 1L.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Narko is the literal worst. She's a nice person outside of class but I'm tired of making excuses for her. She's a shitty teacher. She'll ask you to do something one way. You'll do it that way. She'll ask you why you didn't do it the other way. I honestly feel bad offering up such a wholesale condemnation of her in this capacity but she's a horrible professor. You'll get four or five people who want to circlejerk about how much they liked her and how she's "not that bad" because people want to naturally stand out or humblebrag that they didn't poorly in the class.

She's a bad professor. She gives poor guidance. I have no desire to speak to her or be pleasant to her. I actively dislike her. Her inconsistent instruction has very negative repercussions. Enjoy having her for a year.

detlefschrempf1

Postby detlefschrempf1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:58 pm

LRGhost wrote:Narko is the literal worst. She's a nice person outside of class but I'm tired of making excuses for her. She's a shitty teacher. She'll ask you to do something one way. You'll do it that way. She'll ask you why you didn't do it the other way. I honestly feel bad offering up such a wholesale condemnation of her in this capacity but she's a horrible professor. You'll get four or five people who want to circlejerk about how much they liked her and how she's "not that bad" because people want to naturally stand out or humblebrag that they didn't poorly in the class.

She's a bad professor. She gives poor guidance. I have no desire to speak to her or be pleasant to her. I actively dislike her. Her inconsistent instruction has very negative repercussions. Enjoy having her for a year.

Yea, I know several people that feel this same way. I also know several people that liked her a lot. I mean, it's almost like different people enjoy different professors to varying degrees. Or, I mean, it could just be people want to circle jerk about grades, whatever.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:59 pm

detlefschrempf1 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Narko is the literal worst. She's a nice person outside of class but I'm tired of making excuses for her. She's a shitty teacher. She'll ask you to do something one way. You'll do it that way. She'll ask you why you didn't do it the other way. I honestly feel bad offering up such a wholesale condemnation of her in this capacity but she's a horrible professor. You'll get four or five people who want to circlejerk about how much they liked her and how she's "not that bad" because people want to naturally stand out or humblebrag that they didn't poorly in the class.

Yea, I know several people that feel this same way. I also know several people that liked her a lot. I mean, it's almost like different people enjoy different professors to varying degrees. Or, I mean, it could just be people want to circle jerk about grades, whatever.

There are a few people who just "click" with whatever amorphous writing qualities she is looking for, and they think Narko is great. The rest of the class, like I said, just stumbles through the term going WHAT THE FUCK. I've never heard anyone in between.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 pm

detlefschrempf1 wrote:

Sure. Or it could be people who enjoy being contrarian to the point of delusion because it's an easy way to feel superior. I liked a professor that most people hated. I think some of their criticisms are misguided but I am well aware that I am in the minority. Just by the way class and grading is set up, it's different with CLR.

It's demonstrably true that she gives conflicting instruction. Cool that it worked out well for you but that type of bullshit is not a subjective, personal thing.

detlefschrempf1

Postby detlefschrempf1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 pm

LRGhost wrote:
detlefschrempf1 wrote:

Sure. Or it could be people who enjoy being contrarian to the point of delusion because it's an easy way to feel superior. I liked a professor that most people hated. I think some of their criticisms are misguided but I am well aware that I am in the minority. Just by the way class and grading is set up, it's different with CLR.

It's demonstrably true that she gives conflicting instruction. Cool that it worked out well for you but that type of bullshit is not a subjective, personal thing.

#northwesterndifference

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:36 pm

LRGhost wrote:
detlefschrempf1 wrote:

Was the bolded a moment of self-awareness on your part or unintentional?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Really, I feel that the level of distaste is not a symmetrical response to however poor she was as a prof. I'm never self-aware.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:27 pm

I know people who did really well in narkos class and still think she's awful. One time she added words into my friends paper and then readded the word count and then deducted for going over the word limit.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Similarly-sections of first drafts getting comments to the effect of "this is great" and then in second draft finding that section to be the primary problem. I didn't have narko but I genuinely felt bad for classmates that did. Reading the CTECs should be instructive.

genericblandacct

Postby genericblandacct » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:06 am

feralinfant wrote:I know people who did really well in narkos class and still think she's awful. One time she added words into my friends paper and then readded the word count and then deducted for going over the word limit.

Can confirm, this was a thing that happened to me. I am this friend. I still to this day cannot follow the logic on this one.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:43 pm

:shock:
Last edited by Pishee77 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

checkers

Postby checkers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Hey all, NYU 1L here. Eigen is visiting this semester and will be teaching contracts, so I wanted to see if anyone here had outlines/tests from him that you'd be cool with sharing; PM me if so. I've read that participation is graded, that he wants details in his cold calls, that the test is a typical issue-spotter, and that he's interested in tech and privacy issues. Any other advice that you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:48 pm

On this page: Narkos CLR section unintentionally outs themselves

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:55 pm

checkers wrote:Hey all, NYU 1L here. Eigen is visiting this semester and will be teaching contracts, so I wanted to see if anyone here had outlines/tests from him that you'd be cool with sharing; PM me if so. I've read that participation is graded, that he wants details in his cold calls, that the test is a typical issue-spotter, and that he's interested in tech and privacy issues. Any other advice that you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i find it unlikely my outline will be helpful but:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymnyqjeuc09tohd/Contract%20Outline%20Redux%20RS%20and%20UCC.docx?dl=0

ETA:

Also I shared this in the hope it will calm your nerves somewhat, but you really don't need to worry about this all yet. I know law school is coming up and that's a lot to digest but it's going to be okay. I wouldn't worry a ton about Eigen. He's a very approachable prof. and he doesn't hide the ball and gives a lot of feedback on the midterm. You aren't going to get much of an advantage by diving in before the semester even starts. Get some exercise and drink a beer- November you will be thankful for cutting yourself some slack in august/september.

checkers

Postby checkers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:56 pm

feralinfant wrote:
checkers wrote:Hey all, NYU 1L here. Eigen is visiting this semester and will be teaching contracts, so I wanted to see if anyone here had outlines/tests from him that you'd be cool with sharing; PM me if so. I've read that participation is graded, that he wants details in his cold calls, that the test is a typical issue-spotter, and that he's interested in tech and privacy issues. Any other advice that you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i find it unlikely my outline will be helpful but:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymnyqjeuc09tohd/Contract%20Outline%20Redux%20RS%20and%20UCC.docx?dl=0

ETA:

Also I shared this in the hope it will calm your nerves somewhat, but you really don't need to worry about this all yet. I know law school is coming up and that's a lot to digest but it's going to be okay. I wouldn't worry a ton about Eigen. He's a very approachable prof. and he doesn't hide the ball and gives a lot of feedback on the midterm. You aren't going to get much of an advantage by diving in before the semester even starts. Get some exercise and drink a beer- November you will be thankful for cutting yourself some slack in august/september.

I appreciate the outline and the advice; thank you for both. Don't worry, I'm really not as much of a gunner as I may sound. I've just got some extra time at the start of the semester, so I thought I'd ask around and amass some outlines to save for later on. I'll raise a glass in your honor come October when I start to make use of the outline.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:22 am

Serious question: is any secondary journal worth the effort? Figurative cost (time commitment, sweat equity, etc.) seems to outweigh the benefit (writing/blue booking improvements).

As part of the AJD/transfer wave of write-ons, results won't impact OCI, so the exercise seems even more fruitless.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”