Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:43 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Just curious what the 1L summer job search looks like from the NU vantage point?

Bumping this question b/c I think it got lost in all the NU/UIUC shenanigans :)

I've got a job doing what I want to do. I know 4 or 5 biglaw 1L summers. A few DOJ kids. Quite a few are still looking/doing interviews. I'll see if I can get you some idea of numbers, because I'm unsure right now.

thanks for the help!

I don't know what the standard 1l search timeline is, but are people optimistic in general?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:29 pm

bdubs wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Just curious what the 1L summer job search looks like from the NU vantage point?

Bumping this question b/c I think it got lost in all the NU/UIUC shenanigans :)

I've got a job doing what I want to do. I know 4 or 5 biglaw 1L summers. A few DOJ kids. Quite a few are still looking/doing interviews. I'll see if I can get you some idea of numbers, because I'm unsure right now.

Are all of the 1L biglaw summer offers minorities?

Not all, but many are.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:I love asian food (pho, thai, whatever) and want to learn what Chicago pizza is all about. Keep it to the type of place I could legitimately go to if I were a student.

I have just the place for you. Silver Spoon. Cheap but good thai food. 3 blocks from the school. BYOB. WIN

+1 on Silver Spoon. I also like Three Happiness in Chinatown for Dim Sum.

As for pizza, Giordano's is my favorite, hands down.

rinkrat19 wrote:Can I live in Chicago if I really dislike deep dish pizza

Deep dish is a problematic word. Some places, like UNO, call their pizza deep dish, but other places offer a thick-crust pizza, but also call it deep dish. Chicago pizza is stuffed pizza -- thick toppings, not thick crust.

I externed for a federal district court. Best experience I could have had IMHO.

bdubs wrote:Are all of the 1L biglaw summer offers minorities?

No. They seem to favor people with science backgrounds going into patent law though.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:52 am

If my short-term goal is BigLaw, am I wasting my time by applying for a scholarship? It's hard to argue that I will NEED the grants if I hope to be making enough to pay off big loans.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 am

Shloime wrote:If my short-term goal is BigLaw, am I wasting my time by applying for a scholarship? It's hard to argue that I will NEED the grants if I hope to be making enough to pay off big loans.

No need to apply. You should definitely not waste your time on this and thus leave more money for me.

;-)

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:24 am

Shloime wrote:If my short-term goal is BigLaw, am I wasting my time by applying for a scholarship? It's hard to argue that I will NEED the grants if I hope to be making enough to pay off big loans.

There's no distinction between the application for loans and for scholarships at NU, so if you plan on taking any fed loans (stafford, GradPlus) you have to complete the aid app.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am

Your goals do not necessarily equate to where you will end up. You should apply for the scholarship.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Your goals do not necessarily equate to where you will end up. You should apply for the scholarship.

The question is, how should I plea my case?

"If I go to your LS, I will shoot for BigLaw, but I may fail, so I'd like some need-based aid to prepare for that possibility"?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Shloime wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

"If I go to your LS, I will shoot for BigLaw, but I may fail, so I'd like some need-based aid to prepare for that possibility"?

Haha. Are you serious with these questions?

1) Assuming you're going to get biglaw is asinine.
2) Regardless of your goals, $215,000 is A LOT of debt to take on. And that doesn't even take into account the opportunity cost of those three years. Schools know this.
3) You base your plea on your current financial situation, not your imaginary one 3 years down the line.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

whitman wrote:
Shloime wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Haha. Are you serious with these questions?

1) Assuming you're going to get biglaw is asinine.
2) Regardless of your goals, $215,000 is A LOT of debt to take on. And that doesn't even take into account the opportunity cost of those three years. Schools know this.
3) You base your plea on your current financial situation, not your imaginary one 3 years down the line.

I am very serious. But my questions are based on one (possibly flawed) assumption. Some people seem to think that the NW scholarship app - in which merit and financial need must be demonstrated - is designed to present a whole picture of the applicant's current and planned future financial situation. So when they ask about your career plans, the "right" answer would be PI or another low-income direction (at least for short term). Of course $215,000 is a lot of debt for anyone to take on, but if I must demonstrate that I am more "needy" than most of the class, then BigLaw aspiration could be a potential setback.

Is the consensus here that this is not the point of the first application question?

I'm not sure how you understood from my post that I'm assuming that I will be successful with my (albeit realistic) Plan A.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Shloime wrote:Is the consensus here that this is not the point of the first application question?

Pretty much, yeah. Besides, the admissions office knows better than most that what you want to do coming in may change.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Shloime wrote:Some people seem to think that the NW scholarship app - in which merit and financial need must be demonstrated - is designed to present a whole picture of the applicant's current and planned future financial situation. So when they ask about your career plans, the "right" answer would be PI or another low-income direction (at least for short term).

Nobody assumes you know what you're going to be doing after law school, and nobody is going to base a scholarship award on what you want to be when you grow up. Even if they did, schools WANT people who are going to end up making $48569847563/year (because those people donate), and they will accordingly incentivize people likely to be making that salary to come to their school.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Shloime wrote:Some people seem to think that the NW scholarship app - in which merit and financial need must be demonstrated - is designed to present a whole picture of the applicant's current and planned future financial situation. So when they ask about your career plans, the "right" answer would be PI or another low-income direction (at least for short term).

Nobody assumes you know what you're going to be doing after law school, and nobody is going to base a scholarship award on what you want to be when you grow up. Even if they did, schools WANT people who are going to end up making $48569847563/year (because those people donate), and they will accordingly incentivize people likely to be making that salary to come to their school.

That's crazy, I wrote that this was my exact career goal on my why NU essay. I bet they see it alot :)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm fairly sure need aid at NU is a myth.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm fairly sure need aid at NU is a myth.

Fortunately there's probably some kinda $5/plate lunch fundraiser to help.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 am

I thought that HGL indicated that she received a modest amount of scholly aid, which she was pretty sure was needish aid. Although LSN seems to prove your point.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm

taw856 wrote:

Fortunately there's probably some kinda $5/plate lunch fundraiser to help.

Or a "brown bag lunch" which means NU saves money by taking you to Water Tower Place and then makes you buy your own lunch. :lol:

homestyle28 wrote:

I thought that HGL indicated that she received a modest amount of scholly aid, which she was pretty sure was needish aid. Although LSN seems to prove your point.

I am pretty poor and got aid, but it is almost impossible to tell what it was that got me the aid. Background? Poverty? I really have no idea.
Last edited by bjsesq on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:44 pm

So, returning to the original theme of this thread, I challenge someone(s) to go drink for drink with me when I'm in town for Diverse Admit Weekend...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:47 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

I thought it was the opposite, she didn't get any at all and had near zero EFC.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Reviewing old pages confirms this, think I got her confused with bjesq, which I assume happens IRL too.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:16 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Reviewing old pages confirms this, think I got her confused with bjesq, which I assume happens IRL too.

SHe is going to hate you for that comment.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:17 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

She wishes. BJSeq won prom queen.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:05 pm

damn, no takers on my challenge? :( maybe it'll work better if i scale it back to challenging someone to simply recommend some good nightlife spots to check out this saturday...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm

When is diverse admit weekend.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

This Sunday/Monday, flying into Chicago Saturday at noonish

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”