Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 am

Depends on the prof for e&e's. For most classes, I found them fairly useful, but some professors (Kadens,Shapo, etc) teach in a unique way or have their own materials and the E&E will just hurt you.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 am

Yeah, whether supplements are going to be useful depends greatly on the prof. Also, you are all lucky bastards who don't have to deal with Allen for civ pro.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 am

Shapo has his own tort book that was basically the class for Torts II. I heard Torts I was similar.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Yeah, whether supplements are going to be useful depends greatly on the prof. Also, you are all lucky bastards who don't have to deal with Allen for civ pro.
Dr. Filth wrote:Shapo has his own tort book that was basically the class for Torts II. I heard Torts I was similar.
ftfy

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:41 am

Cobretti wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Yeah, whether supplements are going to be useful depends greatly on the prof. Also, you are all lucky bastards who don't have to deal with Allen for civ pro.
Dr. Filth wrote:Shapo has his own tort book that was basically the class for Torts II. I heard Torts I was similar.
ftfy
torts is teh same. SPIFF had an outline that was just an outline of the book. I'd read the book and use that outline. Pretty straightforwad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am

Shapo's teaching is so close to his hornbook I could almost hear him talking while I read it.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:48 am

It warms my soul to read TLS hate for Ron Allen. I have been tempted to form a "Fuck Ron Allen" social media group in the past.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

I don't get the hate. Law school is pretty stupid anyway.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:I don't get the hate. Law school is pretty stupid anyway.
Of course law school is stupid, but Ron Allen is an objectively shitty person, dude. How do you not understand that people could dislike that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:54 am

bjsesq wrote:
Of course law school is stupid, but Ron Allen is an objectively shitty person, dude. How do you not understand that people could dislike that?
What did he do that was shitty. I thought he just rambled in class.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Have you ever spoken to the guy outside of class? Tried to ask him for help? Review an exam with him in the room? He talks shit to you and keeps demanding that you hurry it up and get out. He's an asshole.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:55 am

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Have you ever spoken to the guy outside of class? Tried to ask him for help? Review an exam with him in the room? He talks shit to you and keeps demanding that you hurry it up and get out. He's an asshole.
lol really? What did he say.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:57 am

Your answer here was ok up until this part. What were you thinking? Why are you even here? You were ok on the exam and this is a waste of my time. Yeah, that's dumb. Did you even read? I'm busy here, how much longer until you leave? Lucky I didn't beat his arrogant ass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Honestly I'm really glad I had Allen though. Alums that had him always bring up how much they hated him, and bashing him together turns into a pretty solid bonding experience. This has literally happened to me like 4 times now where they mentioned Allen without any prompt.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I guess at least he told us on the first day of class that he had zero intention of teaching us civil procedure because he assumed we were smart enough to do it on our own? I was able to get more sleep in the morning because of that.

He also decided to spend the last week of civ pro "lecturing" on how he is an evidence god in China.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I guess at least he told us on the first day of class that he had zero intention of teaching us civil procedure because he assumed we were smart enough to do it on our own? I was able to get more sleep in the morning because of that.

He also decided to spend the last week of civ pro "lecturing" on how he is an evidence god in China.
you should read my CTEC eval for Fall 2013 :lol:

ETA: the part that made caesar:

"as the Evidence God, He is all powerful, however His heavenly duties seemed to preclude him from focusing on our class. I believe He is on auto pilot at this point and prefers to discuss what He finds interesting, which is evidence."

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm

The thing is: I love evidence. Along with crim, it is far and away my favorite topic. He made me hate it for the semester he taught. Such a douche.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I guess at least he told us on the first day of class that he had zero intention of teaching us civil procedure because he assumed we were smart enough to do it on our own? I was able to get more sleep in the morning because of that.

"as the Evidence God, He is all powerful, however His heavenly duties seemed to preclude him from focusing on our class. I believe He is on auto pilot at this point and prefers to discuss what He finds interesting, which is evidence."

:-D that was you? I really enjoyed that one.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:51 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

:-D that was you? I really enjoyed that one.
yuuup.

thank god we had good TAs though

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:12 pm

CS says we need to photocopy our official transcript for OCI, but I think every firm says unofficial. I was just going to print mine off Caesar or something, do I really need to request an official and make copies?

Also, what slots come up during same day sign ups? If a firm is full after the open sign up period two days before the interview, there shouldn't be any spots day of as it's too late to cancel at that point, right? Unless people are canceling the day before or something, repercussions be damned.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Laura Pedraza-Farina

thoughts?
Easy Grader?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:11 pm

How tough is the Kellogg grading curve? Thinking of taking The Law of Real Estate Development and Finance with Dana but I know that the Kellogg classes don't do +/- grading so I'm hoping they give out a lot of As and not many Bs since I don't have much of a business background.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:20 pm

captainplanet wrote:How tough is the Kellogg grading curve? Thinking of taking The Law of Real Estate Development and Finance with Dana but I know that the Kellogg classes don't do +/- grading so I'm hoping they give out a lot of As and not many Bs since I don't have much of a business background.
No idea on the curve, but just a heads up if you didn't notice, that class is in Evanston. I nearly didn't see that.

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:35 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
captainplanet wrote:How tough is the Kellogg grading curve? Thinking of taking The Law of Real Estate Development and Finance with Dana but I know that the Kellogg classes don't do +/- grading so I'm hoping they give out a lot of As and not many Bs since I don't have much of a business background.
No idea on the curve, but just a heads up if you didn't notice, that class is in Evanston. I nearly didn't see that.
Yeah, I saw. Thanks! I think there's a NU shuttle that goes between the Chicago and Evanston campuses. I think it's about half an hour and I think it goes past 9 p.m.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 pm

captainplanet wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Yeah, I saw. Thanks! I think there's a NU shuttle that goes between the Chicago and Evanston campuses. I think it's about half an hour and I think it goes past 9 p.m.
It does, but if I remember from having to do it last year, the next one after 9 is 9:30-45. Sucks. Although the campus is nice!

Edit for autocorrect fuckery.
Last edited by franklyscarlet on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”