Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mal Reynolds

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Are you people taking post-bar challenges.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Cliff is also not a rat. He stood tall for me on my bar apps. Desert Fox? Never heard of him, must not have done nuthin wrong den.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

And to the person asking what to do to prepare for law school--have fun. Seriously. Nothing you do now will help you get better grades in December.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:Someone posted the possible four sections 1Ls can be in on the NU Facebook page:

Sec #1:
Dicola
Tuerkheimer
Redish
Lupo

Sec #2:
Markell
Mulaney
Hoskins
Dana

Sec #3:
Shoked
Shapo
Nzelibe
Provenzano

Sec #4:
Kadens
Waterstone
Frakes
Rubinowitz

I wasn't thinking about classes until this was posted... but I just wanted an idea of which section I should hope for or if there's a section I should cry about if I get it based on the professors.

Sections 1 and 3 have pretty great lineups.

Was going to say the same thing. 1 and 3 are totally stacked basically from head-to-toe (I've never heard of Turkheimer).
#4 might be great or really bad, depending... Kadens terrifies some students and no one seems to love her. Rubinowitz is the nicest person who has ever lived, and some people absolutely love him but others think the class itself is a waste of time, and the other two are people I've never heard of. #2 has names that are vaguely familiar to me but I know nothing about.

Whatever section gets barsa next semester is the right one. That man is a treasure.

somuchwaiting

Postby somuchwaiting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Is OCI historically the same week of August each year? I know that as a 0L this might be wicked early to start thinking about it, but some personal plans for next summer are being planned now and it would be great to know how early to expect the start of OCI.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm

somuchwaiting wrote:Is OCI historically the same week of August each year? I know that as a 0L this might be wicked early to start thinking about it, but some personal plans for next summer are being planned now and it would be great to know how early to expect the start of OCI.

Yes I believe so, its right before school starts.

M458

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm

somuchwaiting wrote:Is OCI historically the same week of August each year? I know that as a 0L this might be wicked early to start thinking about it, but some personal plans for next summer are being planned now and it would be great to know how early to expect the start of OCI.

I'd recommend leaving the entire month of August pretty open. OCI starts the 2nd week of August, but OTIPs (smaller fairs in cities like LA, SF, Houston, Dallas, & DC) take place the 1st week of August.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

M458 wrote:

I'd recommend leaving the entire month of August pretty open. OCI starts the 2nd week of August, but OTIPs (smaller fairs in cities like LA, SF, Houston, Dallas, & DC) take place the 1st week of August.

Also, OCI is two weeks, just in case you hadn't seen that.

M458

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
M458 wrote:

Also, OCI is two weeks, just in case you hadn't seen that.

That 4th week (1st one - OTIP, 2nd/3rd one - OCI) is hopefully when, if all goes well, you have callbacks, right?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:Someone posted the possible four sections 1Ls can be in on the NU Facebook page:

Sec #1:
Dicola
Tuerkheimer
Redish
Lupo

Sec #2:
Markell
Mulaney
Hoskins
Dana

Sec #3:
Shoked
Shapo
Nzelibe
Provenzano

Sec #4:
Kadens
Waterstone
Frakes
Rubinowitz

I wasn't thinking about classes until this was posted... but I just wanted an idea of which section I should hope for or if there's a section I should cry about if I get it based on the professors.

Was going to say the same thing. 1 and 3 are totally stacked basically from head-to-toe (I've never heard of Turkheimer).
#4 might be great or really bad, depending... Kadens terrifies some students and no one seems to love her. Rubinowitz is the nicest person who has ever lived, and some people absolutely love him but others think the class itself is a waste of time, and the other two are people I've never heard of. #2 has names that are vaguely familiar to me but I know nothing about.

Whatever section gets barsa next semester is the right one. That man is a treasure.

I'm sad because I've run out of Barsa classes to take.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Take environmental appellate advocacy next semester if he offers it! It's barsa and Dana and it's pure magic. Cosby sweaters v. I'll fitting black suits in endless hippy debates. Also incredible writing instruction.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Take environmental appellate advocacy next semester if he offers it! It's barsa and Dana and it's pure magic. Cosby sweaters v. I'll fitting black suits in endless hippy debates. Also incredible writing instruction.

That sounds awesome. I'll look for it.

Charger

Postby Charger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 am

feralinfant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

Agreed. Nice to see they're letting Provenzano teach doctrinal stuff

She's doing civ pro which will probably be great.

Love her as a person. Absolutely cannot stand her teaching style.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:55 am

I love Cliff too. Also there are definitely people who love Kadens and will take every obnoxious opportunity to express their adoration towards her. I am already tired of the "what would Kadens think about my schedule / life" circle jerk.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am

cookiejar1 wrote: I am already tired of the "what would Kadens think about my schedule / life" circle jerk.

I don't know/care what she thinks about me, but I am damn sure she has an opinion.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:45 am

Charger wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

Agreed. Nice to see they're letting Provenzano teach doctrinal stuff

She's doing civ pro which will probably be great.

Love her as a person. Absolutely cannot stand her teaching style.

seriously? did you have her for CLR or something? she was amazing in employment law.

Charger

Postby Charger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:23 am

I had her for employment. Her rapid style cold calling was too stressful for my 2LOL attitude. But agreed that if that's your thing, she's a great professor. It just wasn't mine.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 am

Barsa and Dana are a 180 combo. They are reason I got cum laude.

M458

Postby M458 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:Barsa and Dana are a 180 combo. They are reason I got cum laude.

How's Dana's real estate class? DF, or anyone else who may have taken it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I love Cliff too. Also there are definitely people who love Kadens and will take every obnoxious opportunity to express their adoration towards her. I am already tired of the "what would Kadens think about my schedule / life" circle jerk.

Is this love, or Stockholme Syndrome?

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Blagh... Can't decide between transactional and lit... Take BA and Fed Jur?

M458

Postby M458 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Blagh... Can't decide between transactional and lit... Take BA and Fed Jur?

BA's not even transactional - I don't think taking it will really help you decide.

ETA: I'll defer to the upperclassmen, but if you're really hoping to get better insight, it seems like taking one of the "Structuring Transactions" seminars might give you a better look into transactional (as good a look as you'll get from law school, at least).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Blagh... Can't decide between transactional and lit... Take BA and Fed Jur?

I took BA last semester and I'm focused pretty solely on lit. Litvak, at least, seems more lit focused than others (based on what I've heard about Lutz this summer, but don't know about Silver). She's also a great Prof as evidenced by the mini Litvak love fest a few pages back.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Sweet. Told Redish my class schedule, and he basically said I wasn't taking an substantive classes by taking BA and Tax. Told me to take Fed Jur...

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 pm

It's hard to take transactional law classes because transactional lawyers aren't real lawyers.

Joking aside, structured transactions course is the right answer. Business planning was pretty good too. International business transactions and project finance are pretty decent, and they are like auto A classes with a final project instead of exam.

EVERYONE should take those classes if they are uncurved.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”