Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am

Coprolalia wrote:Anyone take contracts with Zev Eigen? I'm interested to know people's experiences and any supplements you would recommend.

Yalie huh? He's fantastic, except for remedies, he kind of screwed up remedies, hopefully he'll rectify that with you guys.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am

Coprolalia wrote:Anyone take contracts with Zev Eigen? I'm interested to know people's experiences and any supplements you would recommend.

He's awesome (*slams fist down on desk emphatically*). I think he's visiting NYU for the fall, Yale for the spring.

He's not super UCC-heavy, fairly friendly cold-caller, and very into the tech scene. His office hours were a popular event for many people to just sit down and shoot the shit. No real curveballs or anything outside of the usual E&E, as I recall. Enjoy him while you got him!

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Agree with above, he is an amazing Professor. He does pay more attention to the timing and dates in cases than other profs I have experienced. One caveat is to really, really understand what is important to him in terms of exam answers. But overall, you will learn a lot.
Last edited by babblefish on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 pm

So is everyone's Simplicity down? I wanted to turn in this letter thing for OCI stuff but lol.

Also, when is Dean Rod going to announce the gift of 3% tuition increases?

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

LRGhost wrote:So is everyone's Simplicity down? I wanted to turn in this letter thing for OCI stuff but lol.

Also, when is Dean Rod going to announce the gift of 3% tuition increases?

Scroll down, bud. In big ole red letters (commence bid list results freakout!):

JD STUDENT ACCESS IS CURRENTLY DISABLED.
WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.
WE EXPECT JD ACCESS TO BE RESTORED BY 9:00 PM CT ON JULY 30, 2014.

DURING THIS PERIOD, TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR CAREER ADVISER PLEASE CALL (312) 503-3498.

Re: tuition - the tuition for next year is already posted here http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... d/tuition/

Think it represents a slightly-less-than-3% increase from 2013-2014.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Has anyone taken the Juvenile Justice Clinic or the Immigration Clinic? Debating between the two.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Does anyone know where the Credit Suisse app is posted? I can't seem to find it.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 am

Someone posted the possible four sections 1Ls can be in on the NU Facebook page:

Sec #1:
Dicola
Tuerkheimer
Redish
Lupo

Sec #2:
Markell
Mulaney
Hoskins
Dana

Sec #3:
Shoked
Shapo
Nzelibe
Provenzano

Sec #4:
Kadens
Waterstone
Frakes
Rubinowitz

I wasn't thinking about classes until this was posted... but I just wanted an idea of which section I should hope for or if there's a section I should cry about if I get it based on the professors.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:50 am

Pishee77 wrote:Someone posted the possible four sections 1Ls can be in on the NU Facebook page:

Sec #1:
Dicola
Tuerkheimer
Redish
Lupo

Sec #2:
Markell
Mulaney
Hoskins
Dana

Sec #3:
Shoked
Shapo
Nzelibe
Provenzano

Sec #4:
Kadens
Waterstone
Frakes
Rubinowitz

I wasn't thinking about classes until this was posted... but I just wanted an idea of which section I should hope for or if there's a section I should cry about if I get it based on the professors.

Sections 1 and 3 have pretty great lineups.

desichhori

Postby desichhori » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 am

Hi everyone! What should I be reading/doing before law school starts? I have been looking at a few books online and researching some online law prep courses. There is all kinds of information online, but if you could share from your personal experiences, it would be great!
Any recommendations would greatly help.

Thanks! :D

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:55 am

desichhori wrote:Hi everyone! What should I be reading/doing before law school starts? I have been looking at a few books online and researching some online law prep courses. There is all kinds of information online, but if you could share from your personal experiences, it would be great!

You probably won't believe me but id go for something like this:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 am

desichhori wrote:Hi everyone! What should I be reading/doing before law school starts? I have been looking at a few books online and researching some online law prep courses. There is all kinds of information online, but if you could share from your personal experiences, it would be great!

Enjoy life. Travel, spend time with your family, get drunk (to prepare your liver for law school). Read Getting to Maybe, but that's IT. Law school prep courses, for the most part, are a waste of time and money. Maybe if you get into the NU prep course for free, then that's worth going to, but other than that don't waste your time. Not much that you do over your 0L summer is going to directly translate into "getting an edge" for law school. It's a very different atmosphere when you are actually in class, and reading a cases will do nothing since you'll have no idea 1) what the takeaway point should be, 2) what your professor will want you to think about the case, 3) what cases you will even read as a 1L. Reading "primers" on different types of law are also useless because there is basically 0% likelihood of you understanding enough information accurately and quickly by self-studying as a 0L, and also 0% likelihood of you actually REMEMBERING it by the time you learn it in class. You only have like a month before school starts, just enjoy life.

desichhori

Postby desichhori » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:20 am

That is exactly what I wanted to do! Have fun!!! However, all the resources online that say "what I should be doing before law school starts" are a bit daunting. I've also read a few coulda, shoulda, woulda's that are freaking me out a bit. Like that one example I read about how a law firm collected all the documents from 1Ls, placed it in order of highest to lowest GPA and picked the top 3...are these rumors or really true?

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Enjoy life. Travel, spend time with your family, get drunk (to prepare your liver for law school). Read Getting to Maybe, but that's IT. Law school prep courses, for the most part, are a waste of time and money. Maybe if you get into the NU prep course for free, then that's worth going to, but other than that don't waste your time. Not much that you do over your 0L summer is going to directly translate into "getting an edge" for law school. It's a very different atmosphere when you are actually in class, and reading a cases will do nothing since you'll have no idea 1) what the takeaway point should be, 2) what your professor will want you to think about the case, 3) what cases you will even read as a 1L. Reading "primers" on different types of law are also useless because there is basically 0% likelihood of you understanding enough information accurately and quickly by self-studying as a 0L, and also 0% likelihood of you actually REMEMBERING it by the time you learn it in class. You only have like a month before school starts, just enjoy life.

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 am

You remind me of myself. I had the requisite freak out that I didn't know anything, read a bunch of threads on TLS to try to get myself up to speed, and then starting hyperventilating. Don't do it. Whatever you learn you'll likely have to unlearn in class anyway. Also (not to sound elitist) but remember those prep books are designed to be sold en masse and are not really targeted for top tier students. You will be much better off learning what your Prof teaches you than anything out of a prep book.

Read Getting to Maybe, put the SCOTUSblog app on your phone, and relax.

Second, if there is a law firm that only picks based on GPA, is that really somewhere you want to work?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 am

desichhori wrote:Like that one example I read about how a law firm collected all the documents from 1Ls, placed it in order of highest to lowest GPA and picked the top 3...are these rumors or really true?

I always hear stories about this about one or two firms (WPRK, for instance), but even if they are true, if you want a realistic shot at those Pearson Specter firms, you should've gone to HLS :lol: The other 160+ firms at OCI are up for grabs, so who cares.

crumpetsandtea wrote:Enjoy life. Travel, spend time with your family, get drunk (to prepare your liver for law school). Read Getting to Maybe, but that's IT. Law school prep courses, for the most part, are a waste of time and money. Maybe if you get into the NU prep course for free, then that's worth going to, but other than that don't waste your time. Not much that you do over your 0L summer is going to directly translate into "getting an edge" for law school. It's a very different atmosphere when you are actually in class, and reading a cases will do nothing since you'll have no idea 1) what the takeaway point should be, 2) what your professor will want you to think about the case, 3) what cases you will even read as a 1L. Reading "primers" on different types of law are also useless because there is basically 0% likelihood of you understanding enough information accurately and quickly by self-studying as a 0L, and also 0% likelihood of you actually REMEMBERING it by the time you learn it in class. You only have like a month before school starts, just enjoy life.

This is 100% correct. Especially the liver part.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:46 am

feralinfant wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:Someone posted the possible four sections 1Ls can be in on the NU Facebook page:

Sec #1:
Dicola
Tuerkheimer
Redish
Lupo

Sec #2:
Markell
Mulaney
Hoskins
Dana

Sec #3:
Shoked
Shapo
Nzelibe
Provenzano

Sec #4:
Kadens
Waterstone
Frakes
Rubinowitz

Was going to say the same thing. 1 and 3 are totally stacked basically from head-to-toe (I've never heard of Turkheimer).
#4 might be great or really bad, depending... Kadens terrifies some students and no one seems to love her. Rubinowitz is the nicest person who has ever lived, and some people absolutely love him but others think the class itself is a waste of time, and the other two are people I've never heard of. #2 has names that are vaguely familiar to me but I know nothing about.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am

Mulaney is a good shit and Hoskins is a good prof and insane womanizer. I love him.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:17 am

feralinfant wrote:

Agreed. Nice to see they're letting Provenzano teach doctrinal stuff

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 am

Flips88 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

Agreed. Nice to see they're letting Provenzano teach doctrinal stuff

She's doing civ pro which will probably be great.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am

Cliff really is such a fuck stick who lacks all self-awareness.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 am

Flips88 wrote:Cliff really is such a fuck stick who lacks all self-awareness.

Another bar email? Is exam soft the strong wind that almost blew over people's flowers?

M458

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Cliff really is such a fuck stick who lacks all self-awareness.

Another bar email? Is exam soft the strong wind that almost blew over people's flowers?

It is the cloud that blocked the light the sunflowers stretched towards the heavens for.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 am

Quite simply, you made it! Congratulations on surmounting one more rite of passage in your quest to formally enter the legal profession. You have earned some rest and the chance both to reflect back on all you have done and, with the haze of studying clearing, to look ahead to what awaits you. My wish for you lies in the story below which, had I been able to attend convocation, I would have told you then. Enjoy the rest of the summer and all that lies ahead.

Cliff.

My in-laws were born in a small mountain village in Italy. The town, Cerqueto, is old (dating back to the 11th or 12th century) and now has only about 60 year-round residents. We visit as often as possible because it is beautiful – both naturally and culturally. The food, music, and people are about as genuine as you can find.

A number of years back a group of my wife’s younger cousins formed a band. The town priest (he is the priest for several small mountain towns) agreed to be their manager as they hoped to play in other villages and at fairs and celebrations. I met the priest one night when the band was playing in the piazza (square) in a nearby town. The night was grand – crisp and cool to soothe a hot summer day. Everyone, including the priest, was dancing in the square to the traditional Abruzzesse music. One of the most entertaining aspects was the priest who was wearing the traditional long black vestments, and had to lift slightly the front of his cassock to be able to move his legs to the music, a move which accentuated the festive nature of the evening. A grand time was had by all that night and several days later we returned to the US.

The following year we returned to Cerqueto. The day we arrived was also the celebration of one of the band member/cousin’s confirmation. Many people were in attendance, including two priests – both dressed in the traditional long black cassock and a prelate’s black hat, sitting high on their heads. One was the town priest and the other was unknown to me. As we approached the party, the priests approached to greet us. When I faced the town priest he extended his hand and said, “piacere,” a traditional greeting reserved for someone who you have never met (literally meaning, “it is nice to meet you”). I quickly corrected him, stating that we had met the year before when he was dancing in the piazza in Pietracamela. We then entered the party and joined the celebration into the evening, seeing cousins, aunts, and uncles, and meeting and making new friends.

About a week later I heard from one of my wife’s aunts that there was a buzz of drama in town – all from what I had said to the priest about his dancing … and said it in front of the bishop. I was floored and devastated at my gaffe. I had no idea that the other “priest” was in fact the bishop. And I had no idea how bad it was for the priest to have been dancing, and in public. The chatter continued for days and I looked for every opportunity to find the priest and apologize.

One afternoon we were going to an outdoor festival and I saw the priest walking in the same direction as us, albeit about 30 feet to my left. I hastily walked up to him and apologized profusely. I told him that I had no idea that was the bishop and that I hoped my comment had not caused him any problem. (All, of course, in my rough Italian.) He smiled and told me that it was ok. I hardly believed him and he saw my doubt. He then said that he and the bishop had an agreement about things, and in that agreement the priest would dance for both of them and the bishop would eat for both of them!

In an effort to be sure that I understood, I asked the priest, “allora, iil mondo e in balancia? (so, the world is in balance)? He gave a laugh, put his arm around my shoulder, and said, yes the world is in balance.

I tell this story to you simply because I wish for you exactly the same – that your world always be in balance. No matter what, I wish that for you.

Maintain that balance, as you have throughout law school, in your bar prep, in your post-bar celebration, and into your long career ahead of you – and you will find happiness, fulfillment, and success.

Clifford S. Zimmerman
Associate Dean and Dean of Students
Clinical Associate Professor of Law
Northwestern University School of Law
375 E. Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am

I don't get the hate. He is a total goober, but he is a lovable goober.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 pm

bjsesq wrote:I don't get the hate. He is a total goober, but he is a lovable goober.

Yeah, I love Cliff.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”