Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Are transfers allowed to put GPA/Journal Info on OCI resume?


Just call career services asap and ask.

WOOP they said yes thanks. But they also said my bid list was way too aggressive ... Damn.


I've heard that "transfer are treated like median." Is that what they told you? Makes no sense to me since someone who killed it at whatever school they were at will probably kill it here too, but whatever.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Are transfers allowed to put GPA/Journal Info on OCI resume?


Just call career services asap and ask.

WOOP they said yes thanks. But they also said my bid list was way too aggressive ... Damn.


I've heard that "transfer are treated like median." Is that what they told you? Makes no sense to me since someone who killed it at whatever school they were at will probably kill it here too, but whatever.


A lot of transfers fail to even make Cum Laude. Which is way below median if you don't have 1L grades pulling you down.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Are transfers allowed to put GPA/Journal Info on OCI resume?


Just call career services asap and ask.

WOOP they said yes thanks. But they also said my bid list was way too aggressive ... Damn.


I've heard that "transfer are treated like median." Is that what they told you? Makes no sense to me since someone who killed it at whatever school they were at will probably kill it here too, but whatever.

I'll post the bid list once I get internet haha. I just couldn't bid other firms b/c CS/EE IP and I have most of the OCS's so called "target firms" at other job fairs :/

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=230591&start=325#p7908864

Posted!

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:24 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.


professors don't care if you miss class for callbacks, they know how this game is played

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.


Jesus, that sounds miserable. I don't have anything better to contribute.

Also, other people may have different experiences, but I kept Fridays open for callbacks and didn't have many on Fridays. Firms tended to want to schedule them on Mondays or Tuesdays, which was super inconvenient but hey, I would have done whatever they wanted at that point because 2L neuroses.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13639
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:45 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.

No.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Does anyone know if Lutz is OK with people missing class for CBs? Debating taking M&A with him but in his summer class he's been crazy about not letting anyone miss class for anything.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Cobretti wrote:Does anyone know if Lutz is OK with people missing class for CBs? Debating taking M&A with him but in his summer class he's been crazy about not letting anyone miss class for anything.

If it's for a K&E callback, then you're fine. If it's another firm, fuhgeddaboudit. :lol:

ETA: In all seriousness, I have no idea.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Cobretti wrote:Does anyone know if Lutz is OK with people missing class for CBs? Debating taking M&A with him but in his summer class he's been crazy about not letting anyone miss class for anything.


He says he's not but I dont think he really notices in M and A because it's a full room. I skipped a good amount. You might be better off skipping then telling him you're going to miss, though. There's no way he remembers by the time grading comes around.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.


professors don't care if you miss class for callbacks, they know how this game is played


And even if they do care, there's no reason to care that they care.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm surprised Lutz knows who people are.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Taking a break from the bidlist to look at class schedules. Any 3L/Alums care to mock the stupid idea of have four back-to-back classes on Mondays, from 1:30PM-9:00PM straight? Upside would be no ThF classes, opening the schedule for the OCI callbacks that I won't get anyway.


professors don't care if you miss class for callbacks, they know how this game is played


And even if they do care, there's no reason to care that they care.


this is p much how i'm approaching my schedule w/r/t hopeful interviews and CB's. you're paying for this opportunity. fuck anyone who gets miffed about a missed class

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm surprised Lutz knows who people are.


He knows more about his tanning beds than he does his students.

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Snape » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Exactly. You are paying for this. I would not think twice about missing any class for a job you truly want. Now if you already have a superior offer that you would accept and are just seeing if you can hit 12 callbacks then maybe reconsider but if you really might want the job don't think twice--the professors surely wouldn't think twice about some conference or better job offer that required them to miss teaching you.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

FWIW, I had class something like 1:30-8pm on Tuesdays in the spring and it was a long day, but fine. However, the 4-8pm block was a seminar I really enjoyed and ITP, and I imagine that helped a lot.

I'm looking at classes and wondering why 75% of everything is 4-6pm on Monday.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Do we get an Amlaw subscription ?

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Is the Trilogy actually an absurd amount of work, or is it about equivalent to a normal three classes load of work?
Whichever is your answer to above, should I take it or take the classes separately (Definitely want to litigate, so taking all these classes eventually)?

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Do we get an Amlaw subscription ?


Not that I know of but Lexis does provide access to the American Lawyer. There must be a better way to get directly to ALM but here's my process:

Image

CONS: No pictures and looks ugly.
PROS: Always looks like you're doing legal research.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Is the Trilogy actually an absurd amount of work, or is it about equivalent to a normal three classes load of work?
Whichever is your answer to above, should I take it or take the classes separately (Definitely want to litigate, so taking all these classes eventually)?

It's a lot more work during the semester (especially if you're like I was and normally cram at the end), but IIRC the final trial is over like the first day of finals period. And ethics actually takes almost no time to prep for because you actually learn it pretty well during the semester with the role playing. From what I've heard, spring trial ad separate from the trilogy is easier (and graded easier), but the trilogy is more fun.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Do we get an Amlaw subscription ?


Not that I know of but Lexis does provide access to the American Lawyer. There must be a better way to get directly to ALM but here's my process:

Image

CONS: No pictures and looks ugly.
PROS: Always looks like you're doing legal research.

Woah cool haha thanks for the arrows

User avatar
Pishee77
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Pishee77 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 am

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectT ... 1&pageNo=1

Is there any other source for us to look at professor reviews?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 am

Pishee77 wrote:http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectTeacher.jsp?sid=5441&pageNo=1

Is there any other source for us to look at professor reviews?

If you're not a NU student, this is a pretty useless metric by which to choose a school, because all decent schools are going to have a mix of professor personalities. If you are a NU student, I assume you know about CTECs. If you're a NU 0L, calm your balls and concentrate more on having a fun summer.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectTeacher.jsp?sid=5441&pageNo=1

Is there any other source for us to look at professor reviews?

If you're not a NU student, this is a pretty useless metric by which to choose a school, because all decent schools are going to have a mix of professor personalities. If you are a NU student, I assume you know about CTECs. If you're a NU 0L, calm your balls and concentrate more on having a fun summer.


Section assignments won't come out until about a week before orientation. As rink said, no point worrying until then. At that point though, we're happy to instill fear in your hearts or tell you how lucky you are (DiCola!!!).

User avatar
Coprolalia
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Coprolalia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 am

Anyone take contracts with Zev Eigen? I'm interested to know people's experiences and any supplements you would recommend.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chicago-gunner123, kingwhereofis, MSNbot Media and 4 guests