Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dr. Filth

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 am

Pokemon wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
whereskyle wrote:how frequently do students encounter opportunities to go to Bulls games for free?

Why would students get to go to bulls games for free? Nosebleed tickets are like $75

The school actually gives a free ticket out to all those that get A+'s first semester.

I would not know about that.

that's why TLS is so useful. a good cross-section of the class. i remember i scalped two of my tickets and made $500. ty, northwestern.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:33 pm

What the hell is the northwestern difference if i have to pay 3 figures to see a bulls game? Isnt this school a nouveau riche factory? Unimpressed...

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm

If you make a persuasive plea on the listserv, someone will probably start a youcaring website for your tickets.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm

babblefish wrote:If you make a persuasive plea on the listserv, someone will probably start a youcaring website for your tickets.

Just say your tickets were stolen.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:21 pm

whereskyle wrote:What the hell is the northwestern difference if i have to pay 3 figures to see a bulls game? Isnt this school a nouveau riche factory? Unimpressed...

Kellogg is the nouveau riche factory. NULS makes lawyers.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:44 pm

whereskyle wrote:What the hell is the northwestern difference if i have to pay 3 figures to see a bulls game? Isnt this school a nouveau riche factory? Unimpressed...

+1 :lol:

On a separate note: Do transfers get an admissions packet with swag or anything? I may have just missed it b/c I moved, but I've always liked admissions swag...

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:

On a separate note: Do transfers get an admissions packet with swag or anything? I may have just missed it b/c I moved, but I've always liked admissions swag...

you'll probably bet shitty waterbottles and shirts at orientation. spoiler alert: the letters on the water bottle will fall off within a year.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:

The only swag I got as a 1L was a t-shirt and a legal folder portfolio, and the portfolio I had to earn by winning the stupid orientation scavenger hunt.

ETA: I also jacked unsubtle amounts of candy bowl on CSO's front desk.

ETA2: Oh, I guess I got a NU laptop/iphone/ipod skin early on too. Total chick magnet, that one.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:52 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:

Unfortunately, tuition was raised only 3% this year, so the swag will be limited.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:55 pm

shirts
I like the sound of that. need new workout clothes. Also, Candy.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:57 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

The only swag I got as a 1L was a t-shirt and a legal folder portfolio, and the portfolio I had to earn by winning the stupid orientation scavenger hunt.

ETA2: Oh, I guess I got a NU laptop/iphone/ipod skin early on too. Total chick magnet, that one.

I'm still waiting for my replacement water bottle.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

I'm still waiting for my replacement water bottle.

I'll get it to you next poker night, but the clock is running...I might get a prescriptive easement on it soon enough.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:I'll get it to you next poker night, but the clock is running...I might get a prescriptive easement on it soon enough.

How much alcohol is typically involved in this?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:08 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:I'll get it to you next poker night, but the clock is running...I might get a prescriptive easement on it soon enough.

as much as you want, and if you want to come get blackout and keep buying back in you're definitely invited.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

as much as you want, and if you want to come get blackout and keep buying back in you're definitely invited.

abso-fucking-lutely

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Very random question but has anyone ever heard of a law student getting a home loan (post 2009)? Looking at the prices to rent and makes total sense to purchase a place, financially at least… especially if we work in the city after 3 years at NU.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:25 pm

dempsey6 wrote:Very random question but has anyone ever heard of a law student getting a home loan (post 2009)? Looking at the prices to rent and makes total sense to purchase a place, financially at least… especially if we work in the city after 3 years at NU.

I dunno but I can't imagine the "I have $20k in guaranteed income for living costs from student loans and no guarantee of a job in the future" is gonna wow a bank.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dempsey6 wrote:Very random question but has anyone ever heard of a law student getting a home loan (post 2009)? Looking at the prices to rent and makes total sense to purchase a place, financially at least… especially if we work in the city after 3 years at NU.

I dunno but I can't imagine the "I have $20k in guaranteed income for living costs from student loans and no guarantee of a job in the future" is gonna wow a bank.

I would bet one has to present additional evidence of credit worthiness.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:11 pm

whereskyle wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I would bet one has to present additional evidence of credit worthiness.

like their first born child

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

abso-fucking-lutely

So uh, let's do this.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 pm

I know some married folk who own their home so I've seen it happen but maybe that's just because their spouses are bringing home dat bacon.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:00 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I know some married folk who own their home so I've seen it happen but maybe that's just because their spouses are bringing home dat bacon.

Well, I have a condo (at home) and make payments on it, but for damn sure I didn't get that loan while being a student and living off student loans. I got it while I was working, and I have a tenant paying rent in it now (theoretically).

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Wife and I bought a house when we moved here, but had to rely solely on her income. Student loan left over won't count as income for underwriting purposes.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 pm

A couple months ago, the discussion about suits in 1L came up. I glanced over it, but I didn't see an approximate date where 1L folks would need to have a suit ready to go. Anyone have an idea of the earliest we might be looking at a formal business attire for events?

M458

Postby M458 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Soco Law wrote:A couple months ago, the discussion about suits in 1L came up. I glanced over it, but I didn't see an approximate date where 1L folks would need to have a suit ready to go. Anyone have an idea of the earliest we might be looking at a formal business attire for events?

I'll let someone correct me if I'm off here, but the earliest thing I can think of is the mock interview program in the Fall. I think it happened around mid-October? But even that's optional. The earliest you'll HAVE to own a suit is before Spring OCI, which takes place end of January.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”