Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 am

M458 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Let us forget our differences and join together in deep and abiding hatred of OCS.

i think this is the healthiest resolution we're gonna get, i'm on board.

Our tuition money is paying for that Cliff/Durr class. OUR TUITION MONEY!

Our tuition money + origination fee + interest = :evil: :evil: :evil:

Over/under on how many people take that class: 4.5

Has anyone ever taken a class ironically? Because this would be the one to choose.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
M458 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Our tuition money is paying for that Cliff/Durr class. OUR TUITION MONEY!

Our tuition money + origination fee + interest = :evil: :evil: :evil:

Over/under on how many people take that class: 4.5

Has anyone ever taken a class ironically? Because this would be the one to choose.

I dunno guys... I could see durr bringing pot brownies to class every day or something. Might be worth it.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 pm

I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.

If durr had cliff's job we'd all probably be better off. Or at least get less sunflower emails.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.

Also makes me think of this guy:

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:59 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:The fuck is going on ^

Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "good taco places" in Chi, but that could be my snobby SoCal elitism talking.
Cannot think of any good restaurants for the other options off the top of my head. Dao thai food (Ohio and Fairbanks) is okay and their catfish dish is downright good.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

For tacos, I'd recommend Flaco's (more of a fast food joint), Taco Joint (sit down restaurant but moderate price, or Mercadito (more upscale).

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "good taco places" in Chi, but that could be my snobby SoCal elitism talking.
Cannot think of any good restaurants for the other options off the top of my head. Dao thai food (Ohio and Fairbanks) is okay and their catfish dish is downright good.

Where have you been in the city?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

They got tacos in Pilsen bro

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 pm

for good tacos you gotta go out west, but obviously that involves exposure to hipsters, so it might not be worth it. I don't like flacos, but blue agave is pretty decent in gold coast. its sit down though, so not that cheap.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna go to all of these places. I'm gonna get so fat...

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

Where have you been in the city?

Flacos tacos, someplace by Second City I heard was supposed to be good, numerous places with both the words "taco" and "burrito" in their name, Caesar's (Home of the Killer Margarita), the place below the red line stop at Addison (which has been the best so far).

There is one caveat I would like to mention: I like the food at Big and Little's and Del Sol, and this food includes tacos, but I guess I am making a substantive distinction with the tacos these places serve since the styles are very different and neither can really be considered Mexican food. I know the question did not specify "Mexican food" when he said "good taco place," so is you want to flame on that go ahead.

Other suggestions for good Mexican food always welcome.

Eta: the "place be Second City" might have been Blue Agave. They were supposed to, and did, have good guacamole. My meal I was disappointed with but hey that's just a sample size of 1.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Ceasar's (Home of the Killer Margaritas) is probably the worst Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. Don't base your perception of Chicago Mexican food on that shithole.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Eta: the "place be Second City" might have been Blue Agave. They were supposed to, and did, have good guacamole. My meal I was disappointed with but hey that's just a sample size of 1.

its kind of by second city... its by the division red line stop, one block north of the hangge uppe. its not the best but they do mexican style tacos at reasonable prices and like you said... the bar is very low in chicago.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Pilsen for real Mexican food, big star for fancy tacos, taco burrito house or the equivalent for "it's 2am put a burrito in my Facehole now." I've lived on the border and experienced lots of legit Mexican food, and chicago certainly doesn't have good Mexican places on every corner, but it's not the salsa desert Californians make it out to be.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm

No flame, but you gotta actually go to the places in the city that at least claim to have good Mexican before throwing out the blanket. Hit Pilsen/Little Village, then hipster onto Big Star and Antique. If still disappointed, then carry on.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Mullens wrote:Ceasar's (Home of the Killer Margaritas) is probably the worst Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. Don't base your perception of Chicago Mexican food on that shithole.

Seconded.

Man from Nantucket

Postby Man from Nantucket » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

Sultan's Market is a quality Mediterranean place, there's one in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park.

Also, El Souk has cheap lunch specials and is closer to school but isn't as good.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Taco Joint is definitely the best taco place in Chicago that I've been to. Make sure you go to the one in Lincoln Park, armitage and halsted iirc, not the mediocre river north one. $5 tequila shot and modelo on friday and saturday too!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Antique Taco in Wicker Park is great.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm

You need to get away from these neighborhoods for a lot of great food.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:21 pm

I hope Cliff doesnt read this thread. He may be annoying sometimes but he's a good guy and I feel like all of this shit talking would make him really sad. And that would make me feel bad.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I hope Cliff doesnt read this thread. He may be annoying sometimes but he's a good guy and I feel like all of this shit talking would make him really sad. And that would make me feel bad.

I also think he's a cool guy, but that class is still silly and he still does other silly things. Hopefully he knows TLS exaggerates and can be needlessly cruel at times.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:39 pm

I mean I'd think he was just a swell human being if he weren't getting paid several hundreds of thousands of dollars to send me emails about recent studies on the importance of sleep and how my life is like some classic rock song he was listening to on his run.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”