Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 am

M458 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Let us forget our differences and join together in deep and abiding hatred of OCS.

i think this is the healthiest resolution we're gonna get, i'm on board.


Our tuition money is paying for that Cliff/Durr class. OUR TUITION MONEY!


Our tuition money + origination fee + interest = :evil: :evil: :evil:

Over/under on how many people take that class: 4.5


Has anyone ever taken a class ironically? Because this would be the one to choose.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
M458 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Our tuition money is paying for that Cliff/Durr class. OUR TUITION MONEY!


Our tuition money + origination fee + interest = :evil: :evil: :evil:

Over/under on how many people take that class: 4.5


Has anyone ever taken a class ironically? Because this would be the one to choose.

I dunno guys... I could see durr bringing pot brownies to class every day or something. Might be worth it.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 pm

I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.


If durr had cliff's job we'd all probably be better off. Or at least get less sunflower emails.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:I actually like Durr quite a bit, but that name is just SO EASY.


Also makes me think of this guy:

Image

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:59 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:The fuck is going on ^


Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.


I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "good taco places" in Chi, but that could be my snobby SoCal elitism talking.
Cannot think of any good restaurants for the other options off the top of my head. Dao thai food (Ohio and Fairbanks) is okay and their catfish dish is downright good.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13550
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

For tacos, I'd recommend Flaco's (more of a fast food joint), Taco Joint (sit down restaurant but moderate price, or Mercadito (more upscale).

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:The fuck is going on ^


Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.


I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "good taco places" in Chi, but that could be my snobby SoCal elitism talking.
Cannot think of any good restaurants for the other options off the top of my head. Dao thai food (Ohio and Fairbanks) is okay and their catfish dish is downright good.


Where have you been in the city?

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

They got tacos in Pilsen bro

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 pm

for good tacos you gotta go out west, but obviously that involves exposure to hipsters, so it might not be worth it. I don't like flacos, but blue agave is pretty decent in gold coast. its sit down though, so not that cheap.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna go to all of these places. I'm gonna get so fat...

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:The fuck is going on ^


Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.


I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "good taco places" in Chi, but that could be my snobby SoCal elitism talking.
Cannot think of any good restaurants for the other options off the top of my head. Dao thai food (Ohio and Fairbanks) is okay and their catfish dish is downright good.


Where have you been in the city?


Flacos tacos, someplace by Second City I heard was supposed to be good, numerous places with both the words "taco" and "burrito" in their name, Caesar's (Home of the Killer Margarita), the place below the red line stop at Addison (which has been the best so far).

There is one caveat I would like to mention: I like the food at Big and Little's and Del Sol, and this food includes tacos, but I guess I am making a substantive distinction with the tacos these places serve since the styles are very different and neither can really be considered Mexican food. I know the question did not specify "Mexican food" when he said "good taco place," so is you want to flame on that go ahead.

Other suggestions for good Mexican food always welcome.

Eta: the "place be Second City" might have been Blue Agave. They were supposed to, and did, have good guacamole. My meal I was disappointed with but hey that's just a sample size of 1.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Mullens » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Ceasar's (Home of the Killer Margaritas) is probably the worst Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. Don't base your perception of Chicago Mexican food on that shithole.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Eta: the "place be Second City" might have been Blue Agave. They were supposed to, and did, have good guacamole. My meal I was disappointed with but hey that's just a sample size of 1.

its kind of by second city... its by the division red line stop, one block north of the hangge uppe. its not the best but they do mexican style tacos at reasonable prices and like you said... the bar is very low in chicago.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Pilsen for real Mexican food, big star for fancy tacos, taco burrito house or the equivalent for "it's 2am put a burrito in my Facehole now." I've lived on the border and experienced lots of legit Mexican food, and chicago certainly doesn't have good Mexican places on every corner, but it's not the salsa desert Californians make it out to be.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm

No flame, but you gotta actually go to the places in the city that at least claim to have good Mexican before throwing out the blanket. Hit Pilsen/Little Village, then hipster onto Big Star and Antique. If still disappointed, then carry on.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Mullens wrote:Ceasar's (Home of the Killer Margaritas) is probably the worst Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. Don't base your perception of Chicago Mexican food on that shithole.


Seconded.

User avatar
Man from Nantucket
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Man from Nantucket » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.


Sultan's Market is a quality Mediterranean place, there's one in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park.

Also, El Souk has cheap lunch specials and is closer to school but isn't as good.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Taco Joint is definitely the best taco place in Chicago that I've been to. Make sure you go to the one in Lincoln Park, armitage and halsted iirc, not the mediocre river north one. $5 tequila shot and modelo on friday and saturday too!

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Antique Taco in Wicker Park is great.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyway, what's a good place to eat around Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North? looking for good taco places, anything mediterranean, thai, viet, or east asian.

You need to get away from these neighborhoods for a lot of great food.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:21 pm

I hope Cliff doesnt read this thread. He may be annoying sometimes but he's a good guy and I feel like all of this shit talking would make him really sad. And that would make me feel bad.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I hope Cliff doesnt read this thread. He may be annoying sometimes but he's a good guy and I feel like all of this shit talking would make him really sad. And that would make me feel bad.


I also think he's a cool guy, but that class is still silly and he still does other silly things. Hopefully he knows TLS exaggerates and can be needlessly cruel at times.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13550
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:39 pm

I mean I'd think he was just a swell human being if he weren't getting paid several hundreds of thousands of dollars to send me emails about recent studies on the importance of sleep and how my life is like some classic rock song he was listening to on his run.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests