Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Transfers can't make coif so I assume they're excluded from the calculations.

Transfers can still get latin honors tho yes?

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby echooo23 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:05 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Transfers can't make coif so I assume they're excluded from the calculations.

Transfers can still get latin honors tho yes?


Yes

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Hey 3Ls: any word on the street about when journal calls will be going out?

User avatar
Pishee77
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Pishee77 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 am

So I read about the 80+ shootings over the weekend. yikes. Is this all taking place in the south side of Chicago? Is streeterville/nearby a pretty safe area? (i.e. Is it safe to be walking back to your apartment at night)? Have you guys heard of many NU student assaults/theft incidents? I'm from a small town so urban living is new lol.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 am

Pishee77 wrote:So I read about the 80+ shootings over the weekend. yikes. Is this all taking place in the south side of Chicago? Is streeterville/nearby a pretty safe area? (i.e. Is it safe to be walking back to your apartment at night)? Have you guys heard of many NU student assaults/theft incidents? I'm from a small town so urban living is new lol.


You're fine. July 4th is a bit different because it's one of the big gang's celebratory day. Streeterville and downtown is pretty safe and there's a cop outside of the school for the two or three weeks before finals which is when you'd be leaving late anyway. Chicago is a fairly segregated city and the violence is pretty much everywhere but where you'd be. If you go out west, just don't be wasted on the train or the bus with expensive shit out.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Yeah I've never once felt unsafe here, quite the opposite actually it's probably one of the safest places I've lived at.
With that said there were two laptop thefts and two attempted cell phone thefts (1 successful) by the school this past school year. There was also something that blew out the library windows (bullets?) that happened in the middle of the night.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:39 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Yeah I've never once felt unsafe here, quite the opposite actually it's probably one of the safest places I've lived at.
With that said there were two laptop thefts and two attempted cell phone thefts (1 successful) by the school this past school year. There was also something that blew out the library windows (bullets?) that happened in the middle of the night.

The windows were shot at by a BB gun, and I still chuckle at the visual of a couple Asian guys in NULaw gear chasing a cell phone thief down Superior Ave. Dat Northwestern Difference.

ETA: don't forget the rash of kitchen fridge thefts that nearly tore the school apart last fall.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Does anyone do anything on the south side? I live in the sf bay area and the segregation in chicago seems kind of shocking to me. Any PI/clinic folk who work on the southside? Does anyone have thoughts on life in a segregated city as a relatively affluent law student?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:10 pm

whereskyle wrote:Does anyone do anything on the south side? I live in the sf bay area and the segregation in chicago seems kind of shocking to me. Any PI/clinic folk who work on the southside? Does anyone have thoughts on life in a segregated city as a relatively affluent law student?


There are mixed neighborhoods if you want to live in them.

And it's not like the predominately white areas don't have minorities at all.

SF isn't all that integrated either.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Does anyone do anything on the south side? I live in the sf bay area and the segregation in chicago seems kind of shocking to me. Any PI/clinic folk who work on the southside? Does anyone have thoughts on life in a segregated city as a relatively affluent law student?


There are mixed neighborhoods if you want to live in them.

And it's not like the predominately white areas don't have minorities at all.

SF isn't all that integrated either.


Yeah I was gonna say, the SF Bay Area is super segregated too...not sure Chicago is much worse

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 pm

desperately looking for housing. Never lived in Chicago before. is this an okay place to live?
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13638
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:20 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:desperately looking for housing. Never lived in Chicago before. is this an okay place to live?
--LinkRemoved--

Not bad. Good location overall. You can walk to school while it's still nice out. You'd probably take a bus and walk in the winter. The 36 or red line would take you down to Chicago and then you'd just walk a straight shot to school or jump on the 66. Can also walk to LSD and take the 151 down Michigan and get off around Water Tower Place.

Place looks a little on the small side, but the floors look nice, kitchen looks updated, etc. Good if you don't have too much furniture to deal with. Looks like you basically have room for a bed, couch, dresser, and desk. The price doesn't look too bad either.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:26 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:desperately looking for housing. Never lived in Chicago before. is this an okay place to live?
--LinkRemoved--


Gold Coast is cool. I bet that apartment is tiny as hell, but it's a great location.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 pm

sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby onionz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:47 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?


99% of students don't have a car since you don'tneed one in Chicago at all.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

i live like 3 blocks from there and i can say there are at least 10 bars within 300 ft of that apartment. there is also a jewel osco a few blocks west of you (clark and division).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

i live like 3 blocks from there and i can say there are at least 10 bars within 300 ft of that apartment. there is also a jewel osco a few blocks west of you (clark and division).

And treasure island grocery store.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

i live like 3 blocks from there and i can say there are at least 10 bars within 300 ft of that apartment. there is also a jewel osco a few blocks west of you (clark and division).

And treasure island grocery store.

And that breakfast place. Fucking loved that place.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

i live like 3 blocks from there and i can say there are at least 10 bars within 300 ft of that apartment. there is also a jewel osco a few blocks west of you (clark and division).

And treasure island grocery store.

that's for after dat biglaw salary

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:29 pm

welp, this is all good news. Sounds like I'll be emailing them. I'm kind of scared about the quality of the place though, seeing as they have a million places available in the same building...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:sweet. thanks for the update guys. Is this also close to bars and grocery stores? my two essentials...

Also, how do people deal with cars/parking if the place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot?

i live like 3 blocks from there and i can say there are at least 10 bars within 300 ft of that apartment. there is also a jewel osco a few blocks west of you (clark and division).

And treasure island grocery store.

And that breakfast place. Fucking loved that place.


Original Waffle House?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:And that breakfast place. Fucking loved that place.


Original Waffle House?

probably hash house a go go, its awesome

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:And that breakfast place. Fucking loved that place.


Original Waffle House?

probably hash house a go go, its awesome


Fuck that place is good. Imma go get brunch this weekend. I forgot it existed.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13638
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

DF probably meant Original Pancake House...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Flips88 wrote:DF probably meant Original Pancake House...


i infact did




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], shineoncrazydiamond, tedler and 3 guests