Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pokemon
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Anyone take any courses with Kellogg before? How restrictive are they?
Also, I'm looking at the Business Enterprise Concentration on the NU Law website (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... /business/) and was wondering how difficult it is to apply for this concentration? Is there an application process at all or do we just... do it? Can transfers get concentrations?

Thanks everyone!


From everything I've heard, the concentrations are pretty much a joke (except perhaps for the Law and Social Policy one). I doubt it's difficult to apply for it, but the impression I've gotten is that it will add little to nothing to your resume.

Interesting... Thanks for the info!

ETA:
Is the Practical Issues in Business Law Seminar any good? How hard is it to get in? I feel like this is the one small advantage that the concentration would get if the Seminar is useful and difficult to get in.
Due to limited enrollment, students in the concentration will be given preference in course selection for the Practical Issues in Business Law Seminar.

Also, How is the Entrepreneurship Law Center?


ELC is awesome. Recommend it for any NU student.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Entrepreneurship law was really practical. I rec that class. Also they are easy graders.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby echooo23 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Did they raise tuition this year? I just took a look at the financial aid "award" and almost shit my pants.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

thanks for the responses. Seems like ELC is the hot thing then. How hard is it to get in ?

Also, I haven't gotten any info on course selection yet but should I be starting that now? if so, how do I go about doing this?

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 am

echooo23 wrote:Did they raise tuition this year? I just took a look at the financial aid "award" and almost shit my pants.


They did; expect tuition to continue to go up about 3% every year. And expect to be told how thankful you should be that it's "only" 3% since that's "the rate of inflation."

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 am

lhanvt13 wrote:thanks for the responses. Seems like ELC is the hot thing then. How hard is it to get in ?

Also, I haven't gotten any info on course selection yet but should I be starting that now? if so, how do I go about doing this?


Very hard to get in. You have to take the entrepreneurship law class first and then bid on the clinic (unless you take them concurrently during the summer).

Are you an incoming transfer or 1L?

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:24 am

M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:thanks for the responses. Seems like ELC is the hot thing then. How hard is it to get in ?

Also, I haven't gotten any info on course selection yet but should I be starting that now? if so, how do I go about doing this?


Very hard to get in. You have to take the entrepreneurship law class first and then bid on the clinic (unless you take them concurrently during the summer).

Are you an incoming transfer or 1L?


Incoming transfer. Is there any way to increase my odds of getting in?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:thanks for the responses. Seems like ELC is the hot thing then. How hard is it to get in ?

Also, I haven't gotten any info on course selection yet but should I be starting that now? if so, how do I go about doing this?


Very hard to get in. You have to take the entrepreneurship law class first and then bid on the clinic (unless you take them concurrently during the summer).

Are you an incoming transfer or 1L?


Incoming transfer. Is there any way to increase my odds of getting in?


You get bid points. You just gotta bid enough.

I'd take the entrepreneurship class during 2L since it might be hard to get the clinic and class in teh same year.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:thanks for the responses. Seems like ELC is the hot thing then. How hard is it to get in ?

Also, I haven't gotten any info on course selection yet but should I be starting that now? if so, how do I go about doing this?


Very hard to get in. You have to take the entrepreneurship law class first and then bid on the clinic (unless you take them concurrently during the summer).

Are you an incoming transfer or 1L?


Incoming transfer. Is there any way to increase my odds of getting in?


You get bid points. You just gotta bid enough.

I'd take the entrepreneurship class during 2L since it might be hard to get the clinic and class in teh same year.

Ah I see. So what is this bidding thing? I've never heard of bids for clinics and stuff. How does it work?

bricktemplar
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bricktemplar » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:11 am

l
Last edited by bricktemplar on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby echooo23 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
M458 wrote:
Very hard to get in. You have to take the entrepreneurship law class first and then bid on the clinic (unless you take them concurrently during the summer).

Are you an incoming transfer or 1L?


Incoming transfer. Is there any way to increase my odds of getting in?


You get bid points. You just gotta bid enough.

I'd take the entrepreneurship class during 2L since it might be hard to get the clinic and class in teh same year.

Ah I see. So what is this bidding thing? I've never heard of bids for clinics and stuff. How does it work?


You bid for classes with points. The number of points you get depends on your class year. The higher you bid, the more likely you'll get into a class. There's some other complicated shit about how many points are actually taken out of your account (because your points have to cover both semesters), but that's the gist, anyway. So the system rewards those who throw their points at the classes they want most rather than at most (all?) other schools where the best classes go to whoever happens to be at a computer and clicking furiously at the exact right moment.

I think last year 2Ls got 2000 points, and entrepreneurship went for 1800?

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:32 am

^holy hell that's a lot.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 am

lhanvt13 wrote:^holy hell that's a lot.


Yup - I think it's nearly impossible to have enough points to get the class in the Fall and then the clinic in the Spring. DF's suggestion makes the most sense: take the class 2L, then the clinic 3L.

As far as bidding goes, the schedule just became available for next year and I think the email said bidding isn't until mid-August.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Did we have to fill out our financial aid stuff again to get our loan money? fma

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:11 pm

LRGhost wrote:Did we have to fill out our financial aid stuff again to get our loan money? fma


yeah you had to do it again, its proabbly not too late, just go fill it out now

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Snape » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Can somoen post the honor list…ID not working

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Northwestern Law in a nutshell

(Emails graduating class that honors list is posted)

(None of the graduating class' logins work)

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm

M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:^holy hell that's a lot.


Yup - I think it's nearly impossible to have enough points to get the class in the Fall and then the clinic in the Spring. DF's suggestion makes the most sense: take the class 2L, then the clinic 3L.

As far as bidding goes, the schedule just became available for next year and I think the email said bidding isn't until mid-August.

Thanks a bunch!
yeah... should I just look at myself as below median for OCI purposes?
Not sure how to compare myself with the past year callback GPA data

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Login works. 29 magnas + 1 summa. Just lol at the grade inflation

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Snape » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 pm

LOL at the Cum list that just goes on and on and on…and LOL at transfers making magna

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Snape wrote:LOL at the Cum list that just goes on and on and on…and LOL at transfers making magna

Yeah the transfer policy is weird. They're basically guaranteed cum laude if minimally competent and can easily get magna if you don't take a shit load of curved doctrinal classes. Seminars + clinics/practicum make it not too difficult

User avatar
furrrman
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby furrrman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:52 am

Any advice on a cheap way to get furniture? I will need delivery as I have no car. I think I will Amazon prime a lot of it, but some items (sofa, maybe bed/desk) may be less feasible that route.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13906
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:30 am

furrrman wrote:Any advice on a cheap way to get furniture? I will need delivery as I have no car. I think I will Amazon prime a lot of it, but some items (sofa, maybe bed/desk) may be less feasible that route.

Ikea delivers for a fee.

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Snape wrote:LOL at the Cum list that just goes on and on and on…and LOL at transfers making magna

Yeah the transfer policy is weird. They're basically guaranteed cum laude if minimally competent and can easily get magna if you don't take a shit load of curved doctrinal classes. Seminars + clinics/practicum make it not too difficult


There were 25 people on the Coif list. I thought we had a lot of transfers--wouldn't that mean more than 250 students?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Transfers can't make coif so I assume they're excluded from the calculations.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjcorvino and 3 guests