Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
R1chardParker
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby R1chardParker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 pm

LRGhost wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:FYI, callback GPA info is up on Symplicity. Sad 40-45% response rate from Class of 2015. CSO to institute a pledge-to-fill-in-the-interview-tracker before OCI starts this year to offset Class of 2015's lack of school spirit.


And those stupid fucks have the nerve to criticize us.


2013 OCI response rate: "40-45%"

2012 OCI response rate: 45% (based on last year's pdf)

2011 OCI response rate: ??? Doesn't look like Career Services released the %, but presumably higher

2010 OCI response rate: 30% (based on last year's pdf)

Some general advice:

-Low GPA median firms go quickly
-Chicago firms go quickly
-All things equal, more interview slots and single office schedules gives you a better chance of getting an interview
-Make sure you know what practice areas are in what offices
-Make sure you know how big summer class sizes are in the offices you are bidding on. Simple stuff, but an office with 5 summers can be more picky than one with 40, even at the same GPA.
-You do not need the median callback GPA to get a callback. You do, however, need to be above the firm's GPA cutoff, which may not always = the minimum callback number. Asking around on this forum can be very helpful in this regard.
-There IS some noise year to year in the numbers, especially for firms giving fewer callbacks. If this years pdf doesn't list a GPA for a firm, go back and look at prior years.
-DC is hard if you want litigation. If you want corporate, don't even bother with DC.
-Its really hard to bid more than 2 markets. If you want to apply to more than 2 markets, think about focusing on 2 in OCI and mass mail other markets.
-Schedule your callbacks ASAP
-NEVER turndown a callback until you have an offer (and if you don't have an offer, keep mass mailing even if it seems inevitable that you will have an offer)
-Mass mail no matter what. Do you have an Aunt in SF? Great, mass mail. GF's family in Dallas? Great, mass mail. Want Chicago? Great, mass mail every firm not at OCI. People DO get offers from mass mailing.
-Want to go to a small, hometown market? Great, mass mail AND apply to a big market in OCI as a backup… and don't do it halfway. Research the firms, the practice areas, the city, etc.
Last edited by R1chardParker on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 pm

I filled mine out too for you guys - and it took forever. Have you guys seen that damn spreadsheet? It is not a great format, especially if you are trying to keep track of all the different data it asks for. People have asked the Career Office repeatedly to fix the way it collects this data to make it easier on people filling it out - so you guys will have more data to use. It has yet to be done.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Seems like timing is key with interview slots filling up. Do transfers have a disadvantage in that regard?

-Low GPA median firms go quickly
-Chicago firms go quickly

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Nobody. I made it up because it's my favorite part of Chicago (mostly south of that corner, though I do love Unabridged Books).

I lived at Melrose and Broadway for 1L. I really love that area. Great neighborhood feel and lots of good restaurants.


Lived in the neighborhood for the last year and am moving a few blocks away to Diversey and Broadway. Seriously love it.

lhanvt13 wrote:Awesome. What price range should I be looking at?


if you're looking in lakeview i had a studio for around 900. this is probably the low end. i got shown awesome three bedroom the other week for $2200 (this is probably somewhat rare for the neighborhood). There's a wide range of prices possible in Lakeview though-some highrises off lakeshore and some older buildings as well etc. You're better off figuring out your price range and then looking for somethign you like in it. i would say that $900 for a studio is about as low as it gets in lakeview though.

padmapper and domu are good to get an idea. Yochicago is also a pretty solid resource for reading about chicago real estate too.

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kikero » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:08 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Seems like timing is key with interview slots filling up. Do transfers have a disadvantage in that regard?

-Low GPA median firms go quickly
-Chicago firms go quickly


What do you mean? They run the lottery after everyone submits, timing doesn't play a role in getting interviews.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 am

Kikero wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Seems like timing is key with interview slots filling up. Do transfers have a disadvantage in that regard?

-Low GPA median firms go quickly
-Chicago firms go quickly


What do you mean? They run the lottery after everyone submits, timing doesn't play a role in getting interviews.

Ah I see. misunderstanding!
Thanks for the clear up.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:49 am

feralinfant wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Awesome. What price range should I be looking at?


if you're looking in lakeview i had a studio for around 900. this is probably the low end. i got shown awesome three bedroom the other week for $2200 (this is probably somewhat rare for the neighborhood). There's a wide range of prices possible in Lakeview though-some highrises off lakeshore and some older buildings as well etc. You're better off figuring out your price range and then looking for somethign you like in it. i would say that $900 for a studio is about as low as it gets in lakeview though.

padmapper and domu are good to get an idea. Yochicago is also a pretty solid resource for reading about chicago real estate too.

Thanks so much for the advice! Should I be going to Chicago to actually look at the places or is checking them out through padmapper and domu good enough?

382piccadilly
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 382piccadilly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:05 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Awesome. What price range should I be looking at?


if you're looking in lakeview i had a studio for around 900. this is probably the low end. i got shown awesome three bedroom the other week for $2200 (this is probably somewhat rare for the neighborhood). There's a wide range of prices possible in Lakeview though-some highrises off lakeshore and some older buildings as well etc. You're better off figuring out your price range and then looking for somethign you like in it. i would say that $900 for a studio is about as low as it gets in lakeview though.

padmapper and domu are good to get an idea. Yochicago is also a pretty solid resource for reading about chicago real estate too.

Thanks so much for the advice! Should I be going to Chicago to actually look at the places or is checking them out through padmapper and domu good enough?



It depends what you're looking for in an apartment. If you have certain requirements like lots of natural light, quiet neighborhood, spacious closets etc then it would be worth it to make a trip out because photos on the websites can be insanely deceptive. If its truly inconvenient, I'd find a good realtor (they're free in Chicago) who would be willing to take videos of the units for you.

Also, this is probably obvious to most people (wasn't for me) but look closely at your commute on google maps. It might just seem like half a mile to the closest el or bus stop but think about if you would want to walk that in the snow/horrific wind/humidity etc

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Do people wear leis at graduation like in undergrad? Or is that a best coast thing?

Anyone?

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kikero » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:14 am

No one wore them at my undergrad.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:32 am

I've never heard of that in my life. Must be an other coast thing.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

franklyscarlet wrote:I've never heard of that in my life. Must be an otherbest coast thing.

guys would wear kukui nut necklaces instead of leis though.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:10 am

I just wore socks and nothing else.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13525
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 am

There were literally 2 people at graduation wearing leis and it was because one of the girls was from Hawaii and the other was her best friend.

What's your weird fascination with needing to know, Rink?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Flips88 wrote:There were literally 2 people at graduation wearing leis and it was because one of the girls was from Hawaii and the other was her best friend.

What's your weird fascination with needing to know, Rink?

Oh, I was at a friend's CC graduation in Washington and a fair number of people had on leis so I was remembering my UG graduation in Oregon where even more did. Then I was thinking (hey, commencement ceremonies are boring as shit) that it would be cool to have a florist make a custom lei made from something PNW-y, and what would that be... And I came up up with douglas fir sprigs and rhododendrons. (Oregon state tree and Washington state flower. )
But if midwestern grads are boring and don't do the lei thing, I'd feel dumb being the only person wearing one.
Or maybe I'd wear one anyway and just own the weirdness.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:wear one anyway and just own the weirdness.

TITCR. Represent the left coast proudly. And you'll smell great, too :D

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 am

Anyone take any courses with Kellogg before? How restrictive are they?
Also, I'm looking at the Business Enterprise Concentration on the NU Law website (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... /business/) and was wondering how difficult it is to apply for this concentration? Is there an application process at all or do we just... do it? Can transfers get concentrations?

Thanks everyone!

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:54 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Anyone take any courses with Kellogg before? How restrictive are they?
Also, I'm looking at the Business Enterprise Concentration on the NU Law website (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... /business/) and was wondering how difficult it is to apply for this concentration? Is there an application process at all or do we just... do it? Can transfers get concentrations?

Thanks everyone!


From everything I've heard, the concentrations are pretty much a joke (except perhaps for the Law and Social Policy one). I doubt it's difficult to apply for it, but the impression I've gotten is that it will add little to nothing to your resume.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm

M458 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Anyone take any courses with Kellogg before? How restrictive are they?
Also, I'm looking at the Business Enterprise Concentration on the NU Law website (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... /business/) and was wondering how difficult it is to apply for this concentration? Is there an application process at all or do we just... do it? Can transfers get concentrations?

Thanks everyone!


From everything I've heard, the concentrations are pretty much a joke (except perhaps for the Law and Social Policy one). I doubt it's difficult to apply for it, but the impression I've gotten is that it will add little to nothing to your resume.

Interesting... Thanks for the info!

ETA:
Is the Practical Issues in Business Law Seminar any good? How hard is it to get in? I feel like this is the one small advantage that the concentration would get if the Seminar is useful and difficult to get in.
Due to limited enrollment, students in the concentration will be given preference in course selection for the Practical Issues in Business Law Seminar.

Also, How is the Entrepreneurship Law Center?
Last edited by lhanvt13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby suzige » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:34 pm

we have concentrations??? :?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:31 pm

suzige wrote:we have concentrations??? :?

I found them to be a useless waste of energy.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm

lol concentrations

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:54 pm

welp, no more concentration for me.
:lol:

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Fall class schedule is up on Caesar.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Fall class schedule is up on Caesar.


Hoping it's just tentative and there are still more classes they'll put up.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests