Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 pm

I've heard he's great if you wanna learn about Kirkland and about how much money he used to make.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm curious to hear about Lutz's BA class as well. His Law Firm & Economics final was the hardest final I took last semester because it was so god damn stupid - it was like an undergraduate exam with wild time-constraints. Hopefully that's because the material we were learning was untestable but I also heard that his BA final is also going to be a 2-hour long exam. Hah.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:I've heard he's great if you wanna learn about Kirkland and about how much money he used to make.

and still probably makes fwiw

As a public university, the University of Michigan is required by law, to make all salary information available to the public.

In the 2010-2011 school year, U-M’s highest-paid employee is Law School Professor Mark D. Rosenbaum—taking in an impressive $805,092 per year. Rosenbaum has been teaching at U-M since 1993 and is the current legal director of the ACLU in Los Angeles. He has an impressive legal track record, having argued a number of cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The next two highest-paid employees are also Law School professors. Karl E. Lutz and Alison E. Hirschel each earn substantial salaries of $774,671 and $738, 420, respectively. In fact, twelve of the top twenty earners are affiliated with the Law School.

--LinkRemoved--

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:21 am

jn7 wrote:Does taking BA make any relevant impact during OCI for interest in transactional work? Contemplating enrolling this summer before OCI but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile. I have a business background but I'm concerned about pushback during interviews about having not taken that class or one similar.

I registered for fall. 2 OCI screeners asked what I was taking the upcoming fall semester, and I was able to tell them BA was on the horizon. Seemed to work just fine.

As for Lutz, I like him. Minimal reading, practical knowledge. A little arrogant, humor is a little unusual. But good teacher overall. Never cold calls. I would take a class with him again.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 am

BA isn't very transactional. You probably gotta take it just to know the entity types, but it's still pretty lit focused.

I'd rec Business Planning with Barack. Entrepreneurship law is really good too. International business tranasctions and project finance at terribly boring but 90% of the class gets an A, 5% get an A- and 5% get A+. Also no final.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:32 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I've heard he's great if you wanna learn about Kirkland and about how much money he used to make.

and still probably makes fwiw

As a public university, the University of Michigan is required by law, to make all salary information available to the public.

In the 2010-2011 school year, U-M’s highest-paid employee is Law School Professor Mark D. Rosenbaum—taking in an impressive $805,092 per year. Rosenbaum has been teaching at U-M since 1993 and is the current legal director of the ACLU in Los Angeles. He has an impressive legal track record, having argued a number of cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The next two highest-paid employees are also Law School professors. Karl E. Lutz and Alison E. Hirschel each earn substantial salaries of $774,671 and $738, 420, respectively. In fact, twelve of the top twenty earners are affiliated with the Law School.

--LinkRemoved--

I don't think he's making as much as when he was at Mich, but he also does expert witness stuff which I'm pretty sure is not cheap.
We had an ITP meeting/dinner in his condo before we went on our trip and it is niiiiice. Would not be surprised if it were worth around 7 figures.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'd rec Business Planning with Barack.

He doesn't teach it any more. It's now Andrew Grossman and Dan Dominguez, both Barack partners. I took it this semester and it was fine, but basically just a survey/recap of BA, SecReg, basic tax, and M&A from what I can tell. It's LLM heavy and the two profs had a little bit of trouble controlling a few that started acting up, but that could just be from their first time teaching it. They're good guys and seem to care about teaching, just a little fresh.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am

D-Rod embarrassing us on the internet. http://abovethelaw.com/2014/06/atl-vs-l ... on-sense/2.

:oops:

It's obvious now that Above the Law has more credibility and a stronger platform than the AALS. Elie Mystal is a much bigger deal and has a much bigger audience than any law dean or law professor. D-Rod needs to realize this and moderate his comments accordingly.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:52 am

Meh, a rant by Elie Mystal does not bother me one little bit.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:27 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Meh, a rant by Elie Mystal does not bother me one little bit.

Coincidentally, it's the one Lutz-ism I really agreed with: ATL is mostly garbage.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:36 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Meh, a rant by Elie Mystal does not bother me one little bit.

Coincidentally, it's the one Lutz-ism I really agreed with: ATL is mostly garbage.

I'm not sure the ATL rankings are useful for anyone comparing schools in the T14. Maybe it's fine for finding a hidden gem among the T50 or something (Alabama? Minnesota?) but that's really it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 am

rayiner wrote:D-Rod embarrassing us on the internet. http://abovethelaw.com/2014/06/atl-vs-l ... on-sense/2.

It's obvious now that Above the Law has more credibility and a stronger platform than the AALS. Elie Mystal is a much bigger deal and has a much bigger audience than any law dean or law professor. D-Rod needs to realize this and moderate his comments accordingly.

Actual passages from DRod's shitty awful speech at graduation this year: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/n ... cement.pdf

Inspiring opening paragraph
This is a day of celebration and of joy. You are graduating law school today and, with your friends and family, your colleagues and your teachers, you rightly revel in this day which makes a major milestone in your academic career and in your journey as a lawyer, as a member of a truly great profession. However, it is a day tinged, if only a little, with a big of anxiety– and for some of you perhaps, with an uncertainty – of what exactly you have entered into by becoming lawyers. This anxiety is too often the result of at an atmosphere created by the media, fueled by the blogosphere, and recycled in any number of comments and commentary, all aimed at making this point: lawyers are entering a profession in decline and law schools are of declining value – too expensive, too irrelevant to the needs and wants of the legal profession, faculty and administrator heads in the sand, too irrelevant in our rapidly changing world.

So, when the news cycle moves on to the next salacious story other aspects of higher education take their turn under the spotlight, when your friends and family stop asking you, “hey, Jessica or Johnnie, how come you went to law school when everyone says that law schools are simply train robbers in suits?” “Don’t you read the blogs for goodness sakes?”

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 am

DRod is a sort of downsy anti-hero. He's like Corky Thatcher crossed with Max Payne and a dash of Norm from Cheers thrown in for flavor.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

Flips88 wrote:
rayiner wrote:D-Rod embarrassing us on the internet. http://abovethelaw.com/2014/06/atl-vs-l ... on-sense/2.

Actual passages from DRod's shitty awful speech at graduation this year: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/n ... cement.pdf

Inspiring opening paragraph
This is a day of celebration and of joy. You are graduating law school today and, with your friends and family, your colleagues and your teachers, you rightly revel in this day which makes a major milestone in your academic career and in your journey as a lawyer, as a member of a truly great profession. However, it is a day tinged, if only a little, with a big of anxiety– and for some of you perhaps, with an uncertainty – of what exactly you have entered into by becoming lawyers. This anxiety is too often the result of at an atmosphere created by the media, fueled by the blogosphere, and recycled in any number of comments and commentary, all aimed at making this point: lawyers are entering a profession in decline and law schools are of declining value – too expensive, too irrelevant to the needs and wants of the legal profession, faculty and administrator heads in the sand, too irrelevant in our rapidly changing world.

So, when the news cycle moves on to the next salacious story other aspects of higher education take their turn under the spotlight, when your friends and family stop asking you, “hey, Jessica or Johnnie, how come you went to law school when everyone says that law schools are simply train robbers in suits?” “Don’t you read the blogs for goodness sakes?”

Outside the student speakers, and Pres Morton, the ceremony was trash.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am

Any transfer do an interview during their transfer process?? could you pm me if you have?

THanks

ppkk19

Postby ppkk19 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm

bdubs wrote:
ppkk19 wrote:I have always been planning on B-school (please don't boo me off the forum), but since finding out that Northwestern offers a 3 year JD/MBA program I have started to entertain that idea more. After perusing the website, I still have a few quick questions about it:

1. [Can I get in?]

2. [Should I take the LSAT?]

3. [Will I suck at law school? Will it matter if I don't want to be a lawyer?]

I'm a JD/MBA here. These are my thoughts on your questions.

1) Yes, you have a shot at getting in with those numbers. The admissions process is run by Kellogg and they evaluate your application very similarly to a pure MBA applicant. This means that I can't tell you if you will get in or not since it depends on a lot of factors beyond your GMAT and GPA.

2) Based on the answer above, you should definitely not take the LSAT unless you want to apply to programs that require that exam to get admitted.

3) The fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe you will do alright in law classes. I think the relevance of grades is hard to determine for JD/MBAs though. They can be positive or negative, but they are mostly neutral.

Some business employers won't even ask for or look at your law school grades, but nearly all of them will ask why you went to law school instead of just getting an MBA. I think some people are surprised that the law degree can sometimes be a slight negative in business hiring. I think that could be compounded if you did poorly in your classes and look like you got a extraneous degree that you didn't even care about. On the other hand if you are a highly sought after business candidate and you do really well in law school I think it's a big plus. Everyone knows it's easy to do well in b-school, but it's hard to be near the top of the class in law school.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the insight. Solistus brings up a good point that I haven't considered. The LSAT could help me get a scholarship if I do well enough.

It is surprising that it can be a negative. It does make sense I guess though. Depending on what your goals are after graduating it could seem like a poor decision made with a lack of foresight if you're attempting to go into a position that it has no relevance for. My end goal is real estate, the general vibe I get is it a law degree can actually be extremely applicable, just not a necessity.

Are you planning on going into law after? If not and your goal is business, and I know this is a long complex answer, but just at face value- Do you think that the extra year, extra $, and extra degree will prove to be worth it over just the mba?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 am

all right, which one of you is this

A few months before graduation day for a program geared toward international lawyers, Northwestern University School of Law made a discovery that a prestigious institution of legal education might prefer to avoid — that one of its students was a felon famous in Texas for falsely portraying himself as a lawyer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... ory?page=1

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:all right, which one of you is this

A few months before graduation day for a program geared toward international lawyers, Northwestern University School of Law made a discovery that a prestigious institution of legal education might prefer to avoid — that one of its students was a felon famous in Texas for falsely portraying himself as a lawyer.

Too bad he didn't just disclose the naked woman story. Would've made for a hell of a personal statement.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:all right, which one of you is this

Too bad he didn't just disclose the naked woman story. Would've made for a hell of a personal statement.

I did disclose it...whoops, I've said too much.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 pm

ppkk19 wrote:Thanks for the response, I appreciate the insight. Solistus brings up a good point that I haven't considered. The LSAT could help me get a scholarship if I do well enough.

It is surprising that it can be a negative. It does make sense I guess though. Depending on what your goals are after graduating it could seem like a poor decision made with a lack of foresight if you're attempting to go into a position that it has no relevance for. My end goal is real estate, the general vibe I get is it a law degree can actually be extremely applicable, just not a necessity.

Are you planning on going into law after? If not and your goal is business, and I know this is a long complex answer, but just at face value- Do you think that the extra year, extra $, and extra degree will prove to be worth it over just the mba?

Scholarships for the JD-MBA program don't work the same way that the law school ones do. They don't really pay extra money for a good LSAT because people are admitted to the program with only GMAT scores and b-schools don't really care as much about those for rankings/scholarships. My advice is still to skip the LSAT unless you are applying to other JD-MBA programs.

There are people who are going in to real estate from the JD-MBA program and it can be a good combination for that industry, however I think it can be a hard sell if you don't otherwise have the right background (previous work in RE or something closely connected).

I'm going in to law so the extra year isn't really an issue, but the extra expense is pretty significant. I'm happy with where I wound up and happy that I went into the program, but it's really hard to know ex-ante whether it will be worth it for anyone. The program has generated some pretty high achieving people in business though, so it might hold a lot of value in the longer term.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:33 pm

FYI, graduation honors have posted.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:55 pm

purpletiger wrote:FYI, graduation honors have posted.

only see 2013 on the registrar's site, which is not accessible...

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:
purpletiger wrote:FYI, graduation honors have posted.

only see 2013 on the registrar's site, which is not accessible...

Look at your unofficial transcript on caesar. Also McAllister sent an email to the plain old cum laude recipients.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Oh yeah. i just thought he meant the like list of everyone had posted.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”