Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:IIRC the membership rate there is cheap. It's also closer to my apartment than the school is. Some apartments have gyms built in also.

If it is the gym I was told about on my tour that has a deal with the school, the rate for NU law students is $150 a year when the normal subscription is something like $150 a month.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:IIRC the membership rate there is cheap. It's also closer to my apartment than the school is. Some apartments have gyms built in also.

If it is the gym I was told about on my tour that has a deal with the school, the rate for NU law students is $150 a year when the normal subscription is something like $150 a month.

You visited NU? Pics?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:37 am

ArchRoark wrote:You visited NU? Pics?

I went for an interview and took the tour but didn't have time to take pics. I wish I had but I was scurrying to make my flight. :( Though I did I learn that some scenes in the TV show Chicago Code are filmed at NU.

To be honest, I it was really nice and I kind of like Chicago (I've been there before). My general dislike is with any place that snows, not because of the snow itself, but because they sand the roads to make it melt and it leaves a mud paste all over the ground wherever you go. Plus the subway and L are more dilapidated/dirty than public transit here in northern California and that's saying something.

At this point, if I get NU I'm 99% going to attend.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:49 am

lushka wrote:I know this has probably been asked but I didn't see it.... Are graduates without significant work experience at a disadvantage graduationing fron Northwestern with so many other graduates having had that significant work experience? Thanks!

wanna know about this too.

Also, can anyone tell me about the LLM programs? Are they competitive to get into (or as long as you can pay, you're in)? How about the International Human Rights LLM. Are the students in that program able to get jobs in that field or do they just end up going into Big Law?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 am

forward wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rachmiel wrote:Does the law school have a gym and/or lockers? I will likely be commuting ~20 minutes on the bus, so I'd like to leave some stuff at school if possible.

We get lockers. You can even get two, one in the library and one in regular area.

The lockers are great! I have outfits, several pairs of shoes, books from last semester, whiskey, etc. in mine.

+1

Dear NULS,
Please give me the locker next to HGL, I don't even need to use it, just an occasional nip from her in locker still is all I want.
Thanks!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:26 am

bk1 wrote:

I went for an interview and took the tour but didn't have time to take pics. I wish I had but I was scurrying to make my flight. :( Though I did I learn that some scenes in the TV show Chicago Code are filmed at NU.

To be honest, I it was really nice and I kind of like Chicago (I've been there before). My general dislike is with any place that snows, not because of the snow itself, but because they sand the roads to make it melt and it leaves a mud paste all over the ground wherever you go. Plus the subway and L are more dilapidated/dirty than public transit here in northern California and that's saying something.

Cool, best of luck bro. I waver from waking up with utter horror at a six-figure debt to ending the day with unsubdued enthusiasm to attending a T14. No clue what I will end up doing, but I will be up at NU for the ASW. Hopefully you are in by then! How did your interview go?

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

bk1 wrote:

To be fair, we use salt here to melt the snow, so it's generally a white residue everywhere instead of mud.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm

bk1 wrote:

For those of you who like hard core lifting, try quads. Gnarly gym up in Wrigleyville.

bdemon

Postby bdemon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:18 pm

casterfield wrote:
lushka wrote:I know this has probably been asked but I didn't see it.... Are graduates without significant work experience at a disadvantage graduationing fron Northwestern with so many other graduates having had that significant work experience? Thanks!

wanna know about this too.

This is definitely something you should take into account if you don't have prior work experience. You will be competing against your classmates in the job market at least to some degree. Work experience is a factor in that, and one that you can't improve on once you are in school. There's room for argument about how much a factor it is, and how hard it is to overcome, but it is something to consider.

adamdroog

Postby adamdroog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:22 am

Northwestern doesn't have much/any law and philosophy curriculum. Does anybody know if there is much of an extra-curricular philosophy scene, i.e., student groups, people talking about Frege and Russell over lunch, etc?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 am

adamdroog wrote:Northwestern doesn't have much/any law and philosophy curriculum. Does anybody know if there is much of an extra-curricular philosophy scene, i.e., student groups, people talking about Frege and Russell over lunch, etc?

There is some kind of club about that, but I'm not sure how active they are.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 am

I have no idea, but you're not competing just against classmates, but against law students from many schools. Since a large percentage of law students across the board have no work experience, I wouldn't think it's a big liability not to have much work experience.

I would also think the fact that someone without work experience got into NU would be a positive sign.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 am

adamdroog wrote:Northwestern doesn't have much/any law and philosophy curriculum.

There is a jurisprudence class, a principles of justice class, and maybe a couple others.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:36 am

ArchRoark wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Cool, best of luck bro. I waver from waking up with utter horror at a six-figure debt to ending the day with unsubdued enthusiasm to attending a T14. No clue what I will end up doing, but I will be up at NU for the ASW. Hopefully you are in by then! How did your interview go?

I think this is a pretty universal experience for those of us with our eyes open...proud to have been admitted to great schools - scared to death of paying sticker for them...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:42 am

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread! I won't be applying till this fall ('11), but I was wavering between UVA and NU and this makes me want to ED NU first now. You all seem great :mrgreen:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Cool, best of luck bro. I waver from waking up with utter horror at a six-figure debt to ending the day with unsubdued enthusiasm to attending a T14. No clue what I will end up doing, but I will be up at NU for the ASW. Hopefully you are in by then! How did your interview go?

Thanks, I feel you on the debt versus T14 thing. :P My interview went as well as I could have hoped considering I was asked every stock interview question in the book. I think I'm supposed to know in April so I don't think I'll have a decision before ASW.

ArghItsBlarg wrote:To be fair, we use salt here to melt the snow, so it's generally a white residue everywhere instead of mud.

Then what is the mud from? I assumed it was a sand/salt/snow mixture but now I'm confused.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I challenge someone to make it August so that I can just move already! Sick of waiting/working boooooring job.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I challenge someone to make it August so that I can just move already! Sick of waiting/working boooooring job.

I was going to tell you 'shut up, I have 18 months to wait,' but then I realized who I was addressing. :P

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:I challenge someone to make it August so that I can just move already! Sick of waiting/working boooooring job.

I was going to tell you 'shut up, I have 18 months to wait,' but then I realized who I was addressing. :P

Yeah, I've got so much waiting cred ;) The NULS Class of 2013 page was started by a kid who deferred, I started the 2014 thread. Clearly you should start the 2015 thread to keep the trend going...Although it'll just be you shouting into the darkness for 6 months or so.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah, I've got so much waiting cred ;) The NULS Class of 2013 page was started by a kid who deferred, I started the 2014 thread. Clearly you should start the 2015 thread to keep the trend going...Although it'll just be you shouting into the darkness for 6 months or so.

I will totally do that, probably around August as everyone abandons the admissions forums for the law student forums and leaves me all alone.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Question: what's a good place to eat in Chicago?

Challenge: find me while I'm visiting the law school during the next couple of days and say hi. I'll be the one who is lost.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Bumi wrote:Question: what's a good place to eat in Chicago?

Challenge: find me while I'm visiting the law school during the next couple of days and say hi. I'll be the one who is lost.

The self guided tour is fairly credited IMO.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Too many good places to eat to just start throwing shit at you. Give us a kind of food and your price range.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Too many good places to eat to just start throwing shit at you. Give us a kind of food and your price range.

It's also restaurant week this week, so that's always an option to try great places for a somewhat cheaper price.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 am

I have only been here a few hours and have already spoken to the Chicago Police. They were very nice though. I showed them that I had root beer and not real beer and they just told me to stop walking drunkenly.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”