Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:37 pm

CaptJackSparrow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
CaptJackSparrow wrote:Did anybody else get screwed by Jurisprudence with D'Amato? He gave me a B ... I thought he was supposed to be a really easy grader and this was an uncurved class. He told us not to even study for the final.
Ouch, that is terrible. Hope you aren't a 1L?

Never trust "He's an easy grader." ESPECIALLY from gunners. It's mostly a way to humble brag about getting an A.
I'm not a 1L, so thankfully this won't mess up OCI for me. But I don't like getting a shit grade I didn't deserve. I emailed him about it and he told me that if it had been a curved class he would have given me a C (which doesn't even make any sense since Cs aren't part of the curve).

And I heard he's an easy grader from a lot of people who definitely were not gunners and said this was the best grade they've gotten/their first A+ ... And this is by far the worst grade I've gotten in law school, including in curved classes.
I got boned too, FWIW. I was told it was guaranteed A/he had been yelled at before for giving too many A's and I got a fucking B+. I feel your pain breh.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:52 pm

CaptJackSparrow wrote:Did anybody else get screwed by Jurisprudence with D'Amato? He gave me a B ... I thought he was supposed to be a really easy grader and this was an uncurved class. He told us not to even study for the final.
yeah he gave me a B+, i'm so pissed.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:28 pm

simplycatalina wrote:
Isn't it a general rule that younger faculty/adjuncts are more likely to be A-friendly than older faculty?

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:14 pm

That's really shitty that the prof would say something like that though I'm assuming you still studied for the exam? Throughout the semester I think I heard at least 2-3 people tell me that the class was awesome and that everybody does well I was actually pissed that I didn't take it as one of my electives

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm

parkslope wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:
Isn't it a general rule that younger faculty/adjuncts are more likely to be A-friendly than older faculty?
That would make sense, but I heard the "D'Amato is an easy grader" thing the whole time I was at NU. Maybe it got back to him and he decided he didn't want that reputation anymore?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:33 pm

CaptJackSparrow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Never trust "He's an easy grader." ESPECIALLY from gunners. It's mostly a way to humble brag about getting an A.
I'm not a 1L, so thankfully this won't mess up OCI for me. But I don't like getting a shit grade I didn't deserve. I emailed him about it and he told me that if it had been a curved class he would have given me a C (which doesn't even make any sense since Cs aren't part of the curve).

And I heard he's an easy grader from a lot of people who definitely were not gunners and said this was the best grade they've gotten/their first A+ ... And this is by far the worst grade I've gotten in law school, including in curved classes.

Same exact thing for me. How can you get a B in an uncurved class when the final was 4 questions at a max of 400 words? You didn't even have space to make more than the most basic of arguments.

Holly Golightly wrote:at would make sense, but I heard the "D'Amato is an easy grader" thing the whole time I was at NU. Maybe it got back to him and he decided he didn't want that reputation anymore?
Don't give him that much credit. He is so out of it. He said he would retire when he couldn't teach anymore. Someone should tell him that was 5 years ago.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Tried contacting D'Amato about the grade and he's apparently on leave and can't discuss it until Spring. Excellent.

He also said, "I thought you should've done better." What is this bullshit.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am

I understand people are frustrated, I would be too, but it is not like D'Amato gave discretionary bad grades.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:08 am

Is getting less than an A in ITP a common thing, or did our faculty adviser just take it way too seriously?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:10 am

Pokemon wrote:I understand people are frustrated, I would be too, but it is not like D'Amato gave discretionary bad grades.
No but he just gave random grades based on a 1600 word exam and I doubt he read a single test.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 am

simplycatalina wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I understand people are frustrated, I would be too, but it is not like D'Amato gave discretionary bad grades.
No but he just gave random grades based on a 1600 word exam and I doubt he read a single test.
But you don't really think that...

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:32 am

simplycatalina wrote:
I mean, it is also not fair that O'Hara grades super-easy whereas Horwich grades hard, but it is part of law school. Grades in law school are not hard science.

CaptJackSparrow

New

Post by CaptJackSparrow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
CaptJackSparrow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Same exact thing for me. How can you get a B in an uncurved class when the final was 4 questions at a max of 400 words? You didn't even have space to make more than the most basic of arguments.
I completely agree. If you're not going to provide any information about what you expect (other than "you don't need to study for this test. Everyone is going to do fine") and you only provide enough space to make basic arguments, you can't then turn around and tell us we didn't meet the expectations you never gave us.
simplycatalina wrote:Tried contacting D'Amato about the grade and he's apparently on leave and can't discuss it until Spring. Excellent.

He also said, "I thought you should've done better." What is this bullshit.
Same here, he told me he expected me to do better and that he bumped my grade up from a C, based on my exam grade, to a B because of my participation. I really don't understand how I could have gone so far afield in 1600 words on this "studyless test."

To move on from just expressing dissatisfaction though, is there anything we can do? Does anybody know if there is an appeals process given that a significant portion of the class feels we were unfairly graded?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:05 am

LOL at the first google result for him: http://anthonydamato.law.northwestern.edu/

Also, he defended a Serbian government official charged with genocide. Nice.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am

Pokemon wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:
I mean, it is also not fair that O'Hara grades super-easy whereas Horwich grades hard, but it is part of law school. Grades in law school are not hard science.
Isn't complaining about grades, especially bad grades in an uncurved class, part of law school as well?

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Is getting less than an A in ITP a common thing, or did our faculty adviser just take it way too seriously?
Most definitely not a thing.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:21 pm

CaptJackSparrow wrote:
Same here, he told me he expected me to do better and that he bumped my grade up from a C, based on my exam grade, to a B because of my participation. I really don't understand how I could have gone so far afield in 1600 words on this "studyless test."

To move on from just expressing dissatisfaction though, is there anything we can do? Does anybody know if there is an appeals process given that a significant portion of the class feels we were unfairly graded?
Pretty sure grades can only be changed for clerical error, i.e., a professor mis-entered your grade. I've never heard of that actually happening though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:34 pm

parkslope wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Is getting less than an A in ITP a common thing, or did our faculty adviser just take it way too seriously?
now THIS is poor form.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Pokemon wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:
right, but nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to take Horwich - you know what you're getting yourself into with him. it's way different when a guy who has a reputation for handing out A's like candy suddenly decides to start giving out B's and C's in an uncurved class. nothing much you can do to protect yourself from that.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:54 pm

parkslope wrote:
CaptJackSparrow wrote:

Pretty sure grades can only be changed for clerical error, i.e., a professor mis-entered your grade. I've never heard of that actually happening though.

Is there anything we can do about the fact that he won't even look over our exams/talk about why he decided to give us that grade?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
parkslope wrote:
now THIS is poor form.
God dammit, Lutz.

It was just an A- but it still felt undeserved. And that was only after he told our group (and one other group) that our papers were worth a B+ at best and let us do another edit and resubmit after the deadline. wtf. ITP is 4 credits so it hurts. AND he'd loved our presentations and everything else so it came totally out of the blue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
parkslope wrote:
now THIS is poor form.
God dammit, Lutz.

It was just an A- but it still felt undeserved. And that was only after he told our group (and one other group) that our papers were worth a B+ at best and let us do another edit and resubmit after the deadline. wtf. ITP is 4 credits so it hurts. AND he'd loved our presentations and everything else so it came totally out of the blue.
But with Lutz, you can't really be surprised can you? He's a tool.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Also got an A-, Rink, and not from Lutz.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:17 pm

ITT: Butthurt.

Everyone misjudges one class or two as "easy" then gets pwned. Learn your lesson and get over it.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:29 pm

rayiner wrote:ITT: Butthurt.

Everyone misjudges one class or two as "easy" then gets pwned. Learn your lesson and get over it.
When did everyone get so serious about the time-honored activity of complaining about grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”