Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splitmuch

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Ill bar takers, all we had to submit to the Dean's office was that certification form, right? Did anyone else do so by email? Did you get a confirmation of receipt if so?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm

evidenceblasphemer wrote:
Question: is Ron Allen still a narcissistic cocksucker?

No, cocksuckers are at least useful for something

Probably the best One-Post Wonder I've seen. Hates Allen so much they finally take that step from lurking to posting.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:12 pm

splitmuch wrote:Ill bar takers, all we had to submit to the Dean's office was that certification form, right? Did anyone else do so by email? Did you get a confirmation of receipt if so?

Yes, I did by email, didn't receive any confirmation initially. I emailed this morning to confirm. Receipt confirmed.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Ill bar takers, all we had to submit to the Dean's office was that certification form, right? Did anyone else do so by email? Did you get a confirmation of receipt if so?

Yes, I did by email, didn't receive any confirmation initially. I emailed this morning to confirm. Receipt confirmed.

Thanks

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Flips88 wrote:
parkslope wrote:Has anyone actually called the registrar to find out when grades will be released?

Don't think so, but people have said profs told them grades were due earlier this week and their usually released a few days later after the admin inputs them and checks curve compliance.

It has to be today right? Right?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:32 pm

onionz wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
parkslope wrote:Has anyone actually called the registrar to find out when grades will be released?

Don't think so, but people have said profs told them grades were due earlier this week and their usually released a few days later after the admin inputs them and checks curve compliance.

Signs point to next week. There's an inverse correlation between 1L anxiety and grade timing.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
onionz wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Signs point to next week. There's an inverse correlation between 1L anxiety and grade timing.

c/o 2016: first class to be anxious about 1L grades

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:38 pm

This is why all of the 2L's hate us.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Cobretti wrote:c/o 2016: first class to be anxious about 1L grades

My class (including me), were pretty worked up about it I'm sure if you care to go back in this thread to June 2012 you'll see that. IIRC last year wasn't as bad on the anxiety front. C/o 2016 is the class with the rep of skipping employer events to work on CLR, so...

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:58 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

My class (including me), were pretty worked up about it I'm sure if you care to go back in this thread to June 2012 you'll see that. IIRC last year wasn't as bad on the anxiety front. C/o 2016 is the class with the rep of skipping employer events to work on CLR, so...

lol i love the attempts to paint our apathy as gunning. i can't wait to hear the explanations for why our journal competition participation was so low. i'm gonna go with we all literally had mental breakdowns from the stress of finals so we didn't participate as my best guess.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Cobretti wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

lol i love the attempts to paint our apathy as gunning. i can't wait to hear the explanations for why our journal competition participation was so low. i'm gonna go with we all literally had mental breakdowns from the stress of finals so we didn't participate as my best guess.

Isn't gunning a better explanation that just plain sucking?

Snape

Postby Snape » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:11 pm

I actually kind of get the gunning (but not skipping employer events, that is if your goal is to get a job after law school). The class is significantly smaller and the average student (via tests and such) is coming in a bit different than 3 or 4 years ago…makes sense that the 1Ls would naturally be more gunnerish than the last few classes.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Snape wrote:I actually kind of get the gunning (but not skipping employer events, that is if your goal is to get a job after law school). The class is significantly smaller and the average student (via tests and such) is coming in a bit different than 3 or 4 years ago…makes sense that the 1Ls would naturally be more gunnerish than the last few classes.

Skipping 1L employer events isn't gunning or apathy. Its a well-informed choice not to waste time. Maybe, MAYBE, it lands you a screener outside of OCI and you save a bid. But that won't even help you if you don't end 1L above the firm's grade cut-off. Networking is important. Networking events are not.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Snape wrote:I actually kind of get the gunning (but not skipping employer events, that is if your goal is to get a job after law school). The class is significantly smaller and the average student (via tests and such) is coming in a bit different than 3 or 4 years ago…makes sense that the 1Ls would naturally be more gunnerish than the last few classes.

Skipping 1L employer events isn't gunning or apathy. Its a well-informed choice not to waste time. Maybe, MAYBE, it lands you a screener outside of OCI and you save a bid. But that won't even help you if you don't end 1L above the firm's grade cut-off. Networking is important. Networking events are not.

the networking event and meet the employers were the only valuable events during 1L IMO.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

the networking event and meet the employers were the only valuable events during 1L IMO.

I'm not suggesting any other events had any value, either. I'm curious as to what value you see in them. I know a couple people whose networking at least greased the wheels of their eventual employment, none of that networking occurred at one of these mass events, though. Do you know of anecdotal evidence to the contrary? It should be noted im talking about the all-Northwestern events, not the firm-specific events.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Obviously still a 1L, but going to those events helped me learn the vocabulary of different practice areas and has given me the opportunity to meet up with people between the end of 1L and OCI. I would be surprised if that isn't useful. If you already have a stellar GPA, then it's not going to do much. But from everything I've heard from people I would trust, it can and does make a difference. Would a firm rather invest a CB and a summer in someone who knows what's available through Google or would it be preferable to choose someone who sought out associates and partners and can talk in greater detail about the office? An hour and a half once or twice a week really doesn't cut into studying, especially when it's six weeks before finals.

But again, caveat is I'm a 1L.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:35 pm

splitmuch wrote:I'm not suggesting any other events had any value, either. I'm curious as to what value you see in them. I know a couple people whose networking at least greased the wheels of their eventual employment, none of that networking occurred at one of these mass events, though. Do you know of anecdotal evidence to the contrary? It should be noted im talking about the all-Northwestern events, not the firm-specific events.

For me, they gave me exposure to talking to potential employers that I didn't have before, so I felt more comfortable come OCI and had a more refined spiel. My WE, such as it was, was almost entirely academic, so I wasn't really prepared for professional interviews. As far as I know, neither event directly led to my job, but I think those events (and the summer firm events) are the only ones that put students directly in front of firms that may want to hire them, which I think are the only kind of events worth doing. I'm not saying they were perfect or couldn't be improved/refined, but for what amounted to ~4-6 hours of my time for the year, they were worth it to me.

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 pm

For what it is worth, I am meeting next week with a firm partner because an attorney at the meet the employers event put me in touch with her. It is all what you make of it IMO (especially since so many 1Ls skipped out on that event, you basically could have a long one on one conversation with the firm of your choosing).

Snape

Postby Snape » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I'll agree that the "meet the employer nights" are not of much use. But if you want big law and you are skipping out on Sidley, Skadden, Weil, etc. events where they are actually looking to give out 1L SA positions and give out early callbacks before OCI then you are just being stupid by not making time for those events. I know many people who received both jobs and callbacks from attending such events and some people who would have never in a million years gotten a callback from certain firms (based on GPAs in the 3.1-3.2 range) except for the fact that they went to the event.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Grades are up.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I had to search for this so I'll post it up here if anyone is curious:

bk1 wrote:
rayiner wrote:GPA/class-rank breakdown after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30 - 3.40 - median
3.20 - 3.30 - slightly below median
3.00 - 3.20 - quite below median

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:00 pm

CLR, tho.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Grades are up.

Well no chance of honors or any of that stuff now. Now I can officially give 0 fucks. Actually -1 fuck probably, since I already pretty much gave 0.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Kikero wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Grades are up.

Well no chance of honors or any of that stuff now. Now I can officially give 0 fucks. Actually -1 fuck probably, since I already pretty much gave 0.

You a 1L or 2L?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 pm

2L/now 3L

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”